Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:46 PM   #31
UnabashedIV
Eskimo Baby

don't start that selfrightious rubbish, you just come across as an adoring fan.

and is it gonna be great? how come your so sure? u heard it? oh really! can I have the tracklisting and your personal opinion?

yeh keep those sort of stupid comments aside, we don't know sh*t yet.

this is aimed at sarahukuk
Edited by: UnabashedIV
Old 09-07-2004, 04:48 PM   #32
UnabashedIV
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna
yes, yes i do...that's settled then, we'll meet for tea cos we are cool kids who drink tea and not coffee [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]how's tomorrow during your lunch hour??

well u find in england, the old yuppies love Rice, and he is turning into coffee shop music. This is what killed David Gray, and Dire Straights's Respect.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:00 PM   #33
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnabashedIV

Quote:
yes, yes i do...that's settled then, we'll meet for tea cos we are cool kids who drink tea and not coffee [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]*how's tomorrow during your lunch hour??

well u find in england, the old yuppies love Rice, and he is turning into coffee shop music. This is what killed David Gray, and Dire Straights's Respect.
I think you'll find that partly true Unbashed but i have to disagree, Damien Rice is certainly not coffee shop music. People mistake him for being that Norah Jones Album that is very relaxing and soothing stuff, Damien Rice is somewhat of an intense performer,somebody that you can't sit back and just have a relaxed emotian with. "O" seems like coffee shop music but if you ever listen to Damien RIce live then you can straight away that Damo sounds completely different and has copious amounts of variation to him
Old 09-07-2004, 05:07 PM   #34
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

and is it gonna be great? how come your so sure? u heard it? oh really! can I have the tracklisting and your personal opinion?

this is aimed at <SPAN =bold>sarahukuk</SPAN>
BTW isn't it fairly obvious what will be on the new album?!?!?! It is to me and any TRUE damo fans will like any song that he does because they are adorned to his style
Old 09-07-2004, 05:10 PM   #35
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

this is aimed at sarahukuk

what the hell happened to you? you started off seeming like someone with a fairly well rounded opinion and then this?!

let me just run a couple of quotes by you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahukuk
of course it gonna be an excellent album...etc...
this is the comment that you deemed needed the above outburst. that was after you finished your original post with this comment:

Quote:
they so badly want that second album to be faulty. And of course it won't be, its gonna be a gem.

please tell me that iyou're just kidding and i missed the subtle irony, otherwise you could offer an apology to sarahukuk for what was really an over the top flaming you gave her.
Edited by: Banjaxed
Old 09-07-2004, 05:12 PM   #36
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

well said banjaxed [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2004, 05:20 PM   #37
sarahukuk
Eskimo Regular

thank you banjaxed[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

maybe the will be an excellent album was the wrong way to write it all i meant was that waiting this long for the album it should be an excellent one hes not gonna release one that is sh*t
Old 09-07-2004, 06:09 PM   #38
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

Quote:

Quote:
yes, yes i do...that's settled then, we'll meet for tea cos we are cool kids who drink tea and not coffee [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]how's tomorrow during your lunch hour??

[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]what?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:27 PM   #39
sarahukuk
Eskimo Regular

u know im really starting to dislike unabashedIV
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95%" align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =bold></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
Old 09-07-2004, 06:48 PM   #40
eims
Eskimo Eejit

Location: University of Wales, Aberystwyth. Originally from Norn Iron tho..

[quote=UnabashedIV]

I'm not demanding, u know? I'll wait, I'm prepared to do that, as long as he doesn't pull a paddy casey.

sorry I think i missed something ,what did he do?[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2004, 06:55 PM   #41
Jgrg1984
Eskimo Regular

b sides was more aimed at the us market, bc unlike most artists damien released o with very little promotion. it just grew by people hearing it and liking it. Most of us have heard that story before. Its a bit more annoying for those of you who are living across the atlantic bc u have to hear the cannonball single, and have dealt with damo promoting o for years now, but for the majority of the us audience he is unknown and extremely new. It could be looked at that he is trying to cash out on his fans, but with his consistent touring and his sporatic personal life, i can easily see damo letting the release decisions being made by his distribution label. they realize that they have a major talent and naturally they want to cash out. He has released a handfull of singles and his label decided to release them as one comprehensive selection for the american audience, because he is starting to generate a little buzz. The music industry is more of a business now that it ever was, so it is very difficult to compare damien to an artist years in terms of squeezing his fans. I dont know too many artists who have one album under their belt, that tours and plays 2 hour plus sets.

i am a huge fan though, so i am extremely biased.

:and they all left their feet, for that brief moment they could fly:
Old 09-07-2004, 07:59 PM   #42
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestonf
BTW isn't it fairly obvious what will be on the new album?!?!?! It is to me and any TRUE damo fans will like any song that he does because they are adorned to his style
It's not obvious until we see the actual track list, he might have a bunch of songs that he's never played live up his sleeve for all we know. And I'm a "TRUE" Damien fan but if the next album is sh*t then it won't matter what I think of Damien personally or the other songs that he's released it will still be a sh*t album. And you never know, it could well be, great musicians sometimes make horrible albums, or indeed a series of them (Bob Dylan in the period from Blood on the Tracks until out of time)
Old 09-07-2004, 08:06 PM   #43
graves
Eskimo Regular

I do not understand the argument at all. Nobody is "forcing"anybody to buy CD's.I bought all the singles from Damien's web site (very affordable prices and inexpensive shipping cost to USby the way)and I've enjoyed them a lot. When the B-sides came out, I realized that I already have all the songs in my collection and did not buy the new release. It's as simple as that [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 09-07-2004, 08:14 PM   #44
Bumpman

well this conversation has turned quite sour ian, desire & oh mercy are fine albums, with great songs on each one. so you see, it only took bob dylan twenty one releases to make two truly great albums [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]</font>

we do know that the second album is going to include the angry songs, which means then go, the blower's daughter part ii, me my yoke & i, woman like a man... i'd bet a shiny nickel that we'll see the professor and fool on it too.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:19 PM   #45
graves
Eskimo Regular

Professor, woman like a man and then go were already released in singles.

I'd expect that the majority of the songs in the second album will be "brand new". Well, at least that's what I'm hoping for...

Old 09-07-2004, 08:23 PM   #46
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

I don't have oh mercy but I really don't care for Desire with the exception of Sarah/Sara.

I can't fault your predicted track list based on the songs that we know are out there and Damien's statements about it being the angry album but my point remains that for all we know he's got songs that he hasn't played live yet.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:37 PM   #47
Jgrg1984
Eskimo Regular

a magazine called paste did a great article on damien, if i find the link or anyone has it, post it, but anyway...he mentioned that me, my yoke and i, and woman like a mine most likely on the next album. damien is gonna do what he wants with the album especially with the recording process, look at what he did with o for instance. there are all kinds of possibilities as far as a track listing.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:37 PM   #48
Bumpman

it's highly possible, but the live at the union chapel release is a limited tour only/newspaper release... i have a recording of damien saying that the blower's daughter part ii is going to be track three on the next album, i also think i remember someone on this board saying that he told them that woman like a man and the professor are going to be on the second album.

I can't see that damien would release an album made up entirely of stuff he knew was already floating around on computers worldwide, but in all fairness we'll probably have heard roughly half of the stuff on the next album.

Oh Mercy is a good album, and i quite enjoy desire</font>
Old 09-07-2004, 08:44 PM   #49
Jgrg1984
Eskimo Regular

oo yea the article said blowers daughter part 2 as well if i recall.i agree, there isdefinetly going to be a handfull of songs we have already heard, but think about it, he has "unreleased" material that is more than great. woman like a man and professor are amazing songs, to name twoso eventhoughyour diehardfans have heard them alot, whynot put them on an albumif it works.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:34 PM   #50
Servalan
Eskimo Baby

I don't seeDamien putting Blower's Daughter Pt II, Woman Like a Man or The Professor on his second album. It would make it so blatantly obvious that he's doing a bit of 'milking' - surely he can't pull the wool by releasing songs which are four years old?

Or maybe he can - I didn't think Cannonball would be released three times in the UK, but it was. Whatever he releases, his listeners will buy, no doubt about that.

One thing is true, Damien is a shrewd businessman. We'd get to the end ofa longevening session, and he'd not've bought a drink all night. He could charm the back legs off a donkey.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Here's hoping the next album is fresh and original. It's going to face up to huge comparisons (what with having such a great debut), but I'm sure it'll live up to expectations.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:52 PM   #51
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe in the cluas thread
Actually, I've changed my mind, he's not just a wa*ker, he's a c**t.

[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]my genitals are being used as a worse cuss-word than w**ker - is that really the general idea about the word 'c**t'??? [img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img]nothing wrong with w**king either, btw. infact, who aren't w**kers? i think i know more than a few who practice w**king regularly...

ah, i'm off track here. that way of talking about a (rather important) part of me just made me kinda sad. but why are people so fast at calling others names like 'w**ker', 'c**t', 'jerk', etc... ??? i think it only spreads negativity, and prevents any constructive debate[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]i mean, j d is entitled to have his opinions, but what's so f**king interesting about his assessment of damiens character - a person he prolly hasn't even met..[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2004, 10:29 PM   #52
Jgrg1984
Eskimo Regular

if you havent met someone you shouldnt be calling them names or giving a negative impression of him. Not only is it useless, but to some extentit shows that you have a negative image of the world in general. As a fan though, i want someone that i look up to to not be an ass, w**nker, whatever you want.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #53
cille
creepycute

but who desides who is an ass, a w**ker, a jerk off, etc...? i mean, a person can come off as a jerk in some situations to some people, and come off lovely and agreeable in the same situations to other people or in other situations to other people, etc etc... so judgements like that - even about ppl you've meet - are pretty worthless, i'd say...
Old 09-08-2004, 01:05 AM   #54
Jgrg1984
Eskimo Regular

i agree totally, that is very true. no one in the world is innocent of being in a bad mood or having a bad day. Just because someone is famous does not mean he or she can escape something that is in our nature. We have all given bad impressions to certain people, whether we realize it or not. There are people out there that probably think that i am a jerk, or am high strung or something, when in fact those who know me well know that is far from true. Just because a person can write and play songs for example, doesnt mean that they have to maintain a higher standard of interaction and personality. They deal with real things just like you and i. They can have bad days, they can have bad moods, they can make real life decisions. Its to the extent when the person is actually a w**nker deep down that would bother me, but no one here is capable of making that determination as far as i know.

...those of you without sin, cast the first stone

Old 09-08-2004, 01:40 AM   #55
tomas
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
(Bob Dylan in the period from Blood on the Tracks until out of time)
Can't say i agree with you there...at all [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Waiting on the line for the sun to rise~The Prayer Boat
Old 09-08-2004, 01:44 AM   #56
Jgrg1984
Eskimo Regular

yea i didnt touch on the whole dylan thing....in my opinion and i know im not alone, blood on the tracks is one of his better albums, not best, but its a good album. and thats only naming one of the albums from in that dylan era

Old 09-08-2004, 01:46 AM   #57
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servalan
I don't see*Damien putting Blower's Daughter Pt II, Woman Like a Man or The Professor on his second album.
I'm inclined to disagree, this thread is filled with people quoting damien saying that those songs and others that fans already know WILL be on the next album, a few months back there was a request from damienrice.com that no songs except the ones from "O"and two or three others be traded AT ALL. Which is as strong an indication as any that damien will probably release studio versions of 95% the songs in the lyrics section of this site.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:02 AM   #58
Jgrg1984
Eskimo Regular

hes a songwriter which means that he is writing new stuff frequently. but certain "older" songs are put on albums all the time, its just that damo plays them alot and his fans have heard them alot. i like to think the next album will be a fair mic of old and new

Old 09-08-2004, 08:01 AM   #59
cille
creepycute

i'm just thrilled about HOW he's gonna make those songs sound [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2004, 03:40 PM   #60
UnabashedIV
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestonf
Quote:

Quote:

I think you'll find that partly true Unbashed but i have to disagree, Damien Rice is certainly not coffee shop music. People mistake him for being that Norah Jones Album that is very relaxing and soothing stuff, Damien Rice is somewhat of an intense performer,somebody that you can't sit back and just have a relaxed emotian with. "O" seems like coffee shop music but if you ever listen to Damien RIce live then you can straight away that Damo sounds completely different and has copious amounts of variation to him

shut the f**k up you silly bastard. I;ve seen him at 2 glastonburys, 2 V festivals, 1 brixton gig, and a tiny little venure about 2 years ago birmingham academy 2.

So suck my overly large willy you pretensious little bastard and don't go preaching at the LORD OF EVERYTHING haha.

c'mon now seriously, don't talk to like, its rude u little c**t. plus, i get the impression your just a little fan boy and don't really know jack sh*t about music.

over and out young un'
Closed Thread