Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Default Wembley!!!! 10/6/07

Ok it's 10am here so i KNOW its been enough time since the concert ended!!!!! ... and i remember there were loads of eskimos going!!!!!!!!
Where are the reviews?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Don't make me feel sad again !!!!!

In the meantime! .... Thanks to youtube, here are 3 videos of last night:

Volcano : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_VOXP8xRe4
9crimes : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufis8RjPNdE
Cannonball unplugged... although all i hear is people singing along! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=948HOPNaCVc

post reviews and setlists!!!!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
viv
Eskimo Regular

since no one else is posting i'll just throw this out there. A poster from damien's website put this up as the setlist

9 CRIMES
OLDER CHESTS
…[NEW SONG]…
VOLCANO
ME, MY YOKE AND I
THE PROFESSOR & LA FILLE DANSE
ROOTLESS TREE
I REMEMBER
GREY ROOM
AMIE
COCONUT SKINS
WOMAN LIKE A MAN
CANONBALL

UNPLAYED PIANO
ESKIMO
THE BLOWER’S DAUGHTER

i don't know if the "new song" was actually a new song or just one they hadn't heard before.
viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Vyru
Guardian of common sense

My first Damien gig, and that wholeheartedly was the greatest night of my life! Absolutely breathtaking!

The "New song" was Then Go... I think it had the extra verse in there, too .

Absolutely amazing, blew my mind! Almost cried when he went off stage! Every moment was perfect, from the softest and sweetest to the rockout moments (Particularly loved Coconut skins!). Vyvienne absolutely rocked up a storm, too!

Couldn't have asked for more!
Old 10-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
viv
Eskimo Regular

^ do you remember waht vyvienne played?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
Nine
Inuit

Hi guys! Just got back. It was great.
Setlist, from memory I'm afraid because my pen broke. It's probably missing some, and it's certainly not completely right order wise!

9 Crimes
Older Chests
Then Go
Me, My Yoke & I
Volcano
The Professor & La Fille Danse
Rootless Tree
Amie
I Remember
Grey Room
Coconut Skins > Woman Like A Man
Cannonball, semi unplugged > completely unplugged
Unplayed Piano
Eskimo
The Blower's Daughter

Bumped into Shane beforehand, who remembered me and my name instantly! I was very surprised.

For the first part of the encore, Damien spoke a little about Burma. He then said that backstage were some Burmese refugees who wanted to speak to us. He said that he wanted to record us chanting the same chant that the monks who marched up to the place where Aung San Suu Kyi is imprisoned chanted, (before suffering the consequences) and then broadcast it somewhere inside Burma. The refugees came and spoke, and then we chanted in Burmese, something which translated roughly to 'democracy is our human right.' This was followed with an incredibly poignant Unplayed Piano, with a full band, accompanied by images or Aung San Suu Kyi from various years. The whole thing was unbelievably moving.

All in all, a fantastic gig. I can't wait for plymouth tomorrow.

xx
Old 10-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
Vyru
Guardian of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv
Hm, I certainly know that "never leave you" and "She can't wait to get her hands on the inheritance" were in there... Not sure of the names of the others, sorry!
Old 10-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

yayyy!!!

thanks for the setlists vyru and viv!!!!!!!!!! ...
and Hollie the unplayed piano bit sounds like it was veeery moving! ...gosh i hope some video surfaces at some point!!!!
and woooow shane remembered you!!!!!!!! ... ... have fun tomorrow!!!!!!

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
Old 10-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
viv
Eskimo Regular

Where did he remember you from Nine? Sorry if you've explained this before, I just don't remember.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv
he wants to move
random man
she can't wait to get her hands on the inheritance
never leave you
unreleased song
they're not waving

i posted more about the gig on borneoman's thread...
Old 10-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
Vyru
Guardian of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
he wants to move
random man
never leave you
unreleased song
they're not waving
Woot, that's it! :P

Curse my goldfish memory >.>

I wanna go agaaaaaain
Old 10-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #11
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv
Where did he remember you from Nine? Sorry if you've explained this before, I just don't remember.
ah yeah sorry haha, just from reading back in June or July - we ended up having a chat for about half an hour after the gig, and shared some wine! He's really lovely!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #12
vyvrox
Vyvacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
he wants to move
random man
never leave you
unreleased song
they're not waving
I'm guessing the unreleased song was 'Treacherous' - did Vyvienne play the piano in that one? Also during 'Random Man' were photos shown?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Thanks everyone!! Sounds like it was incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran
yayyy!!!

thanks for the setlists vyru and viv!!!!!!!!!! ...
and Hollie the unplayed piano bit sounds like it was veeery moving! ...gosh i hope some video surfaces at some point!!!!
and woooow shane remembered you!!!!!!!! ... ... have fun tomorrow!!!!!!
haha, again! I second all of what you said
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #14
Vyru
Guardian of common sense

Indeed, it was on piano... I know one part includes 'fragmented soul' in the lyrics... And nope, no photos I'm afraid. My parents tagged along with me to the concert, they had a good chuckle at "Random man", and "She can't wait to get her hands on the inheritance" hit close to home! Such an amazing gig, I'm in shock still!
Old 10-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #15
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

yayyy youtube keeps the videos coming!!!!

i remember : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jcn9emwNyM
Grey Room : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WilTWdyXD_0

ps... haha Lindsay i'm reading minds today!

Last edited by mariaoran; 10-08-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #16
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

wooow... sounds like an amaazing gig.. once again i'm super jealous! Maybe shane will ask you to open for them in the future hollie! hehe... but thanks for the vids and set list! i wish i was there!
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #17
Mort
Czech Eskimo

So when you compare Damien's performance at a big venue like Wembley and a mid-sized venue, is it the same? I mean the atmosphere, his desire for playing, intensity of playing etc. ?
I'm asking because when I went to Wembley I felt like the venue had a terrible lack of 'heart' or something, and I didn't enjoy performance of the band because of it. And I think that Damien needs some kind of a contact with the audience so I can hardly imagine him playing as well as he does at smaller venues ...

Berlin 15/3/07, Dresden 22/7/07, Prague 10/7/12.

last.fm

Last edited by Mort; 10-07-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #18
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort
So when you compare Damien's performance at a big venue like Wembley and a mid-sized venue, is it the same? I mean the atmosphere, his desire for playing, intensity of playing etc. ?
I'm asking because when I went to Wembley I felt like the venue had a terrible lack of 'heart' or something, and I didn't enjoy performance of the band because of it. And I think that Damien needs some kind of a contact with the audience so I can hardly imagine him playing as well as he does at smaller venues ...

No, i don't feel any difference in his performance in the bigger venues compared to the smaller at all, i do still feel his passion and i enjoyed both gigs just as much as a gig in a smaller venue, though for sure those ones are more special because of the intimacy...

i think he is very isolated though after/before the shows due to the size of the venue and the security measures involved.i think he is fed up with the fame side of things and the pressure and attention he gets because of these big shows.it clearly makes him feel uncomfortable and it is alien to him even though he is exhibitionist enough.i think for fans it is harder to have a quick chat or a personal moment with the band members.he is trying his best to communicate with the crowd from the stage, but let's be honest...it is bleeding hard to do that with 17 000 people in the room.

i agree there with someone who mentioned here before that he didn't seem to feel extremely comfortable in his skin in these arenas.like it feels someone forced him into doing this..which i am not sure, cause i don't think he is a person who can be forced into doing something. i do think he wanted to do these gigs, i do think his ego likes it it in a certain way (admit it: you wouldn't love the sensation of seeing so many people come and see you in big arenas, where your own idols used to play).but what i saw in birmingham was a guy who felt a bit akward on stage not being used to this thing and wondered what the hec is wrong.Yesterday i felt he kinda realized during this last week the effect it can have on him in the long run and his performance seemed more cheerful and relieved.

on the other hand i hope he won't do this again for his own sake, or if he does it will be only for an irrelevant amount of dates for the future tours.

yeah i think the right word is to say i think he feels a bit alienated from his very own self...i think he started to see where this could lead to..there is Damien Rice the artist, he always wanted to be and Damien Rice this 'institution', big act in a huge stadium, whom i honestly think he never intended to become...and i don't think he likes this at all, he doesn't like the bits and bobs coming with these huge venues and i do hope he will stop this before it changes him slowly

Last edited by She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite; 10-07-2007 at 09:21 PM.
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:01 AM   #19
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
For the first part of the encore, Damien spoke a little about Burma. He then said that backstage were some Burmese refugees who wanted to speak to us. He said that he wanted to record us chanting the same chant that the monks who marched up to the place where Aung San Suu Kyi is imprisoned chanted, (before suffering the consequences) and then broadcast it somewhere inside Burma. The refugees came and spoke, and then we chanted in Burmese, something which translated roughly to 'democracy is our human right.' This was followed with an incredibly poignant Unplayed Piano, with a full band, accompanied by images or Aung San Suu Kyi from various years. The whole thing was unbelievably moving.
wow. that would have been amazing to be a part of that. i hope they're able to broadcast it to burma..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:30 AM   #20
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

youtube!!!

Here's a clip of the Burma chant part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY42YpBseLM
** i edited this .... The chant video is a new one and its better quality... you can actually hear stuff a looot clearer!!!!!!

here's another video of the same chant! ... the camera is closer tho! :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6G80x9PrCA

here's a veeeeery short clip of Unplayed Piano: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dJSMQHMhyc

i hope someone has taped the hooole thing!!!!!

Last edited by mariaoran; 10-11-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:58 AM   #21
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Thanks Maria!
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #22
lalla32
Eskimo Regular

Got back from London yesterday night... what a crazy and amazing city! I had a lovely time there!

The gig was great... the venue was very good and Damien was in top form! In a good mood and a very good voice! Loved all the stories... especially the one before Coconut Skins about the bathtub...
Best songs for me were Then go (so happy to hear it live with such a beautiful performance) and Grey Room... absolutely breath-taking! He kept slowing down his voice in the I still got you parts... getting so quiet... I kept finding myself holding my breath and the whole venue was so quiet! Totally amazing!

Loved every bit of it (Yeah... apart from the people getting up to grab a beer and missing whole songs... mah!)... my love for Damien keeps growing and growing! What an mazing singer...

He thanked everyone for coming to the shows during this tour... did he say he is going to buy a new house with our money?? LOL But it was a very heart-felt thank you... I wanted to scream "Thanx to you!" but kept my mouth shut...

PS: I was very surprised to see that no one waited around to meet Damien... in a few minutes after the closing time everyone pretty much vanished. We waited something like an hour or less outside... but I think someone told us that the band was at a private party or something like that. So being the last ones left to wait in the cold we just grabbed a taxi and got back to our hotel.

Last edited by lalla32; 10-09-2007 at 12:25 PM.
lalla32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:13 AM   #23
Shan
Eskimo Friend

Awww the gig was absolutely amazing!!!!
I really loved eskimo with the spot of lights that reminded to snow falling from the sky *____*
he played really very well, but honestly I prefere smaller gigs as in my opinion he feels more at ease.

Did someone recorded the show? I tryed but I missed the last three songs TT_____TT if something good comes out I'll let you know!
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #24
Vyru
Guardian of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan
I tryed but I missed the last three songs TT_____TT if something good comes out I'll let you know!

:O Does that mean you may possibly have coconut skins? If you do, I'll personally ask you to marry me =D
Old 10-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #25
Shan
Eskimo Friend

Yes I do have coconut skins ^___^
Old 10-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #26
Vyru
Guardian of common sense

Woo! /worship

*Gets down onto one knee, noting how cold the floor of an igloo really is.*

"Despite the fact I've never even spoken to you before, I don't know your age, name, or where you live, will you make me the happiest bohemian on earth and take my clammy Damien Rice fanboy hand in holy matrimony?"

If not, I'm sure coconut skins will help me get over the horrid abyssmal depression of rejection! :P
Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #27
Shan
Eskimo Friend

looooooooool you forgot to mention that I could be the uglyest woman in the world! XD

Well...actually I could take some times to consider it! :P (of course a ring with a big diamond could help XD)

(I'm sending you a PM ^___-)

Last edited by Shan; 10-16-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #28
Vyru
Guardian of common sense

Well, it's not an outright 'No'...

XD. Thanks for the PM, the entire concert was absolutely amazing!
Old 10-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #29
eamo_rice
meh

I realise I'm pretty late with this but haven't had net access in ages...

this was easily one of the best Damo gigs i've been to. We had seats in the second tier stage right and although we didn't have the best view, it was great just to sit back and relax and enjoy one of his gigs for once without having to worry about people blocking your view.

Vyvienne was simply amazing in her opening set. She has become so much more confdent over this past year and I really hope she DOES record her own full album. and yes, i was the idiot that yelled something like "go on vvyienne" when Damo mentioned her recording her own, and then he said "oh, everybody leave me" or something like that.

i thought his whole explanation of Lisa leaving was one of the best and most reasoned I've heard all year, obviously all the old raw wounds have healed over.

maybe it was different at the back of wembley, but from the front, there was never one moment where i thought Damo was lost in the space of the arena. from 9 crimes on he had the whole place spellbound, and the silence was one of the most amazing things. i rarely heard anyone singing, except during unplugged Cannonball - but then again, it is to the English fans what Blower's Daughter is to the Irish.

Then Go was my highlight, its my favourite song, and the version was perfect, especially since most people seemed not to know what it was.

Set felt a little short, maybe due to all the chatting he was doing, and he seemed totally at ease up there.

the one gripe was the Refugees thing. it felt abit forced upon us. now, i'm just saying, it seemed a bit out of place, but i understand his reasons for doing it.

i hope he enjoys his time of, but I'm already looking forward to the next gig, especially if its gonna be as good as that.
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #30
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamo_rice
I realise I'm pretty late with this but haven't had net access in ages...

this was easily one of the best Damo gigs i've been to. We had seats in the second tier stage right and although we didn't have the best view, it was great just to sit back and relax and enjoy one of his gigs for once without having to worry about people blocking your view.

Vyvienne was simply amazing in her opening set. She has become so much more confdent over this past year and I really hope she DOES record her own full album. and yes, i was the idiot that yelled something like "go on vvyienne" when Damo mentioned her recording her own, and then he said "oh, everybody leave me" or something like that.

i thought his whole explanation of Lisa leaving was one of the best and most reasoned I've heard all year, obviously all the old raw wounds have healed over.

maybe it was different at the back of wembley, but from the front, there was never one moment where i thought Damo was lost in the space of the arena. from 9 crimes on he had the whole place spellbound, and the silence was one of the most amazing things. i rarely heard anyone singing, except during unplugged Cannonball - but then again, it is to the English fans what Blower's Daughter is to the Irish.

Then Go was my highlight, its my favourite song, and the version was perfect, especially since most people seemed not to know what it was.

Set felt a little short, maybe due to all the chatting he was doing, and he seemed totally at ease up there.

the one gripe was the Refugees thing. it felt abit forced upon us. now, i'm just saying, it seemed a bit out of place, but i understand his reasons for doing it.

i hope he enjoys his time of, but I'm already looking forward to the next gig, especially if its gonna be as good as that.
I think you must have been sat right by me! How did we miss each other I wonder. So, you were in the second tier from the front, on Damien's right? What row?

xx