Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 04-25-2004, 09:00 AM   #1
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

I thought for sure that someone would beat me to posting a setlist since we had to drive from Cleveland to Pittsburgh - but it doesn't look like it, so here goes . . .

Quite an amazing show tonight in Cleveland. As much as Pittsburgh was pure and crisp, tonight's show was experimental and off the cuff. And I should not forget rawkin'. Butlet me first just get to the setlist.

The Odeon, Cleveland, Ohio

The Frames

One Set:
Keepsake, What Happens When the Heart Just Stops*, God Bless Mom**, Fake$, Star Star$$

Notes:
* with a brief pause so Glen could address monitor troubles; with Caravan (Morrison)
** with Hard Knock Life
$ with Ring of Fire
$$ with World of Pure Imagination

Damien Rice

One Set:
Tongue^, Insane, Delicate, Rootless Tree^, Face, Amie, Couldn't Love You More^^, I remember, Blower's Daughter*, Prague^, Volcano, Volcano reprise > reggae jam** > reggae Volcano** > improv**

Encore:
Cannonball*, Coldwater$ > Eskimo$$, Red Cord&

Notes:
^ Lisa on keyboard
^^ just Lisa and Viv
* Lisa on electric guitar
** Damien started Volcano back up again after applause; the Volcano quickly morphed into a reggae jam with what seemed like improvised lyrics about Cleveland; Viv moved to keys, and Damien moved to cello; Damien started to sing Volcano again in a reggae style into the cello, using its pick-ups, and Viv responded with some thoughts on how Damien was abusing her cello; Viv started playing Damien's guitar, and Damien soon moved back to his mike to sing some more (improvised) lyrics "Baby baby come on!"
$ with Viv on keys
$$ with Colm from The Frames on violin
& with Glen from The Frames on lead vocals and guitar, along with Colm on violin and The Frames' drummer on djembe; with Last Goodbye (Buckley) and Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (U2)

I will try to post a bit more of a review after I have rested some. Let's just say the first seven songs were the hardest I have ever seen Damien play; the John Martyn song was a well-needed breather for everyone involved. Then the Amie and I Remember were just huge . . .

(Doug, nice to meet you!)Edited by: jwelsh

I call architecture frozen music.

- J.W. Goethe
jwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

J Welsh, I was the kid @ the end in the black hoodie when you were talking to Damien outside the Odeon. Great show, thanks for posting the setlist so soon!

Cheer.
thierryhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Sounds like a great gig! Looking forward to the details! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2004, 02:39 PM   #4
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Great to meet you and your wifetoo, Jeremy! Congrats on your textbook photo. It's unbelievably cool that he's gonna be in there.

There are three reasons I didn't post the set list.

1) I was so into the show I neglected to write it down.

2) I couldn't get on this sitelast nightfor some reason.

3) Let's just say that after that mind blowing show and hanging out w/ Damo for more thana half hourmy lovely lass and I were in quite the mood afterwards...[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

I really hope the pics I took with my cheapo camera came out!

Thierry,

Did yousneak your rig in? If so how doesyour bootleg sound?
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:56 PM   #5
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Did you see the guy about 10 feet away who got kicked out for using that taking all those pictures? That really sucks. As for my recording, first of all my equipment is a Sony Mz-R55 MD (not great quality) that eats double AA batteries like no other. I have never recorded anything else before, so I thought I'd do it. I used my computer microphone clipped to my sweatshirt, (because my stealth microphone that I bought from Ebay was suppose to come but didn't), so yeah. The venue security wasn't bad as we all, but their was that guy in the balcony to the right of the stage (the sound guy) who actually kicked that guy for taking pictures, and he was watching me for alot of the time I could tell. I think if I want to pursue real recording, I need a better MD, because 2 new AA's go dead in like 30 minutes on this model which is horrible and means you have to change batteries like 4 times throughout the show. So sorry, I put it all away and enjoyed the show which was f**kin awesome. I hope someone did record it, but I doubt it. Once I get more professional, maybe I can try again. Sorry guys.

Thanks Damien.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
DamosFavEyes
Long Time No SeEskimo

::sigh::.. hi everyone.. i write to share that regrettably i was unable to get to the cleveland show last night. It would have made such a beautiful pair with the pittsburgh unplugged show.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] I'll be able to possibly make up for the sense of loss i feel if i can read a whole bunch of people's experiences from the show.. so get posting!

ps. i did get to hear about two minutes of Volcano from my good friend matt's phone.. thank you so much matt! not to mention the other *exclusive* phone call that you made possible. (Matt should know what i mean).. so thanks again.

Gina.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:47 PM   #7
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

I actually had my camera taken from me, and by the time I picked it up after the show, someone had erased all of my pictures.

Quite the bummer, let me tell you . . . [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

- J.W. Goethe
Old 04-25-2004, 06:03 PM   #8
DamosFavEyes
Long Time No SeEskimo

that's ridiculous! omgoodness. i think authoritative figures at venues can reserve the right to prohibit cameras.. but most DEFINITELY not the right to actually mess with them. that's so wrong. i mean.. it's your camera! damnit, that makes me really mad.. you should bring that up to the manager or owner of the venue. seriously.

you poor thing.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:26 PM   #9
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Jwelsh where were you? One guy like 2 people in front of us had this really really nice big digital camera and was taking alot of pictures, and I think they asked him to put it away once, and he did for a while then brought it back out, and that's when I think they officially kicked him out, but not sure. Was that you?
Old 04-25-2004, 07:34 PM   #10
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryhenry
Jwelsh where were you? One guy like 2 people in front of us had this really really nice big digital camera and was taking alot of pictures, and I think they asked him to put it away once, and he did for a while then brought it back out, and that's when I think they officially kicked him out, but not sure. Was that you?

I think that guy was behind me - at least that is what the relatively-friendly Staff told me after the show (the older man with the facial hair). He said some guy behind me had a rather large digital camera that seemed a bit more professional (read: into making money) than I was. I was never asked to stop taking pictures, and he just took my camera and said it would be waiting for me after the show. <sigh> I really had no idea I was not allowed to use a digital camera - I used no flash at all throughout the show, and I had taken pictures of Damien three times previously in Pittsburgh. If I would have been thinking, or paying attention, I should have switched out camera cards or something - but I was taken completely off-guard. I had a few good ones on there, too .. .

- J.W. Goethe
Old 04-25-2004, 07:41 PM   #11
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Oh yeah, I saw you then, you right up front like front then. Because yeah that guy had a large expensive digital camera and you should tell was taking numerous shots, so probably was along the lines of something more professional. But he had no stands or lenses or tripods or anything, so yeah. The venue security wasn't bad at all. That old guy with the facial hair was like a hawk in the balcony to the right of the stage. Ha.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:02 PM   #12
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Are all these camera problems because of Damien's rules or the venues? I can't imagine its Damien, at gigs here there are never problems with people taking pictures.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:27 PM   #13
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Venue's mostly, Damien could careless I think, he is super cool about that stuff.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:32 PM   #14
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Things are very different in the US on that score. Any security guy telling an audience member to not take pics here would be laughed at in his face.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:27 AM   #15
Burningman
Eskimo Friend

i went to a travis show in austin, tx this past feb. and they
actually stopped during pipe dreams so the security would give
this girl back her camera. it was funny as hell. after that he said
it cool to take pics, video recordings.
so after that it seemed like everyone busted out a camera
and i saw a guy tape what looked like some sort of lapel mic to
the barricade.
just my two cents.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:35 AM   #16
Venomous Valdez
Eskimo Regular

yeah its been a venue rule here in the states for as long as i can remember. stupid rule. i couldn't get out of work, so i didn't make the road trip to cleveland. i am disappointed. stupid day jobs.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:27 PM   #17
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous Valdez
yeah its been a venue rule here in the states for as long as i can remember. stupid rule. i couldn't get out of work, so i didn't make the road trip to cleveland. i am disappointed. stupid day jobs.

It certainly is not ever venue, though. There are quite a few that let you take pictures, from my experience. The Odeon has a rule of no cameras that was not very well spread, and I guess Damien's people only wanted disposable cameras that night as well. So it was doubly enforced.

- J.W. Goethe
Old 04-26-2004, 07:55 PM   #18
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

I hope to god someone other than me tried and recorded this show, I will never forgive myself if a recording never surfaces!!
Old 04-27-2004, 05:27 PM   #19
natekeegan
Eskimo Friend

a recording never will.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:18 PM   #20
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

why not?
Old 04-27-2004, 07:19 PM   #21
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

yeah... in the states some venues will even search you before you go in to make sure you have no cameras, its ridiculous. you pay a lot of money in some cases to enjoy a show, why not preserve the memory! ahh i get so mad! ... does anyone know if the beacon is strict on the camera rule?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:04 PM   #22
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Oh f**k off natekeegan.

"Da Vinci Code."
Old 11-17-2004, 10:55 PM   #23
baby_sister
Eskimo Baby

hi! im new to the eskimo friends and obviously a huge damien rice fan! i attended the concert in cleveland and had been anticipating it for months! i wasnt aware there were so many fans!! im always the to one to introduce the music to my friends. the concert was just beyond fantastic! i had an excellent time, it could not have been better. i was a few rows of ppl away towards the center of the stage. i had a camera and took several pictures. the security guy saw someone taking pictures in my area but when he came close i tucked the camera away and acted natural! it really wouldnt have been good if he would have saw me ! anyway the pictures turned out great and im sorry to here you got your camera taken, i saw that happen to some people and that must have sucked! well i was more than impressed with the concert and just wanted to share my experience! i hope they return to cleveland as soon as possible!!! ill be the first one to get tickets!!
baby_sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 02:42 AM   #24
VenusAsABoy
Eskimo Baby

so did a full recording ever surface?