Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-14-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
SullyDC
Eskimo Baby

Default I just picked up 9

Album of the year, hands down. I never thought I would say this, but it has topped the new Dylan and Young albums this year.
SullyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

i bought my copy of 9 today at best buy and was disapointed to find that it didn't have the 9 crimes demo. Unless i'm not doing it right... but it doesn't come up in itunes. do i have to try it in a regular cd player to find it?
bryce5.23.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
Windgirl
Eskimo Friend

I just downloaded it when I got home from school. It has floored me. I didn't know how I felt about it the first time around. I thought some o fhte songs weren't cohesive as an album the way O was but upon second listen, that is soo not the case. It's beautiful and where O was delicate intangible 9 has a tangible elegance. Does that make sense? I think that neither surmounts the other. Both are beautiful bravo Damien.
Windgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
tywy
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce5.23.88
i bought my copy of 9 today at best buy and was disapointed to find that it didn't have the 9 crimes demo. Unless i'm not doing it right... but it doesn't come up in itunes. do i have to try it in a regular cd player to find it?
you need to play it on a regular CD player and rewind from the start of track 1
tywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:41 AM   #5
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

yay i got my copy

im out of town so i only have my computer.. i thought there was a program you can use to find the hidden track..

*searching*

aha

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...8&postcount=17

Last edited by SisterMidnight; 11-15-2006 at 02:49 AM.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:57 AM   #6
nyrice45
Eskimo Friend

anyone know why the lyrics to the song previously known as dogs are part of the artwork? (the song "she comes out so slow...etc)- yet the song is nowhere on the cd- im confused?
nyrice45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:20 AM   #7
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

i got it too, but i haven't got chance to listen to it properly. no 9 crime demo though.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:22 AM   #8
coldwaterisrain
Eskimo Baby

ok ok,
like most of you ive been waiting in anticipation for what seems like FOREVER. Day after grouling day of wait for just one tid bit of information on a new cd. Then one day out of the clear blue, 9 was announced, i was as gitty as a school girl. I, unfortunatly, live in america, where i had to wait an extra week for it to come out. So i made my way down to the local Barns and Noble and reserved a copy of my long awaited torture. As days drew nearer i started listening to 'O' to put myself in a Damien Rice kinda mood musically. Then alas, today arose and I recieved my copy of '9'. Now dont get me wrong folks, I LLLLLOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE damo. Ill support him in every single musical venture he takes. This cd however, kinda left me thinking that the whole thing was totally rushed. The lyrics didnt seem nearly as deep as in 'O', actually most of the lyrics i kinda laughed at, not saying that im a better musican cause im no where near the great talent that damien is, im mearly saying i laughed cause thats what it seemed like he wanted us to do. Come on now, to write a whole song about what goes through your brain during a threesome.....what is that. I mean, musically, it was great, he can play the piano like champ and he plays just as beautifully on piano as he does on guitar. Really thats how i felt about the whole album, musically, it was brilliant, a-typical of damien rice. Lyrically though, i was kinda disappointed. Then again, as many of us have already said, 'O' set such a high standard for Damien that topping it would have been nearly imposible. Then again, maybe thats just the stubborn irish roots in me. I dunno, i give it a 7 outa 10, simply because Rootless Tree had me crying today.

Last edited by coldwaterisrain; 11-15-2006 at 05:26 AM.
coldwaterisrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 AM   #9
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

maybe people aren't finding the demo because some people have it and some people don't.. kind of like the golden ticket in a wonka bar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrice45
anyone know why the lyrics to the song previously known as dogs are part of the artwork? (the song "she comes out so slow...etc)- yet the song is nowhere on the cd- im confused?
that is interesting.. it's pretty prominent on the case so hmm.. what if there are more hidden tracks left to be discovered? wait.. wouldn't it be even cooler if each cd had a different hidden track

i know it's not likely but it would be awesome if so
Old 11-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #10
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrice45
'Twas never known as Dogs, as far as I'm aware. I think that was just Eskimos speculating once the 9 tracklisting had been released. Oh, and these aren't the lyrics that Damien used to sing whe performing that song anyway. Spamlet did write a lengthy and convincing post that they may be a later re-writing of that song, though. It's around here somewhere...
Old 11-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwaterisrain
Come on now, to write a whole song about what goes through your brain during a threesome.....what is that
Eh? Which song is about having a threesome? Damien has previously told a story prior to performing 9 Crimes which certainly suggests there may be some of that involved, but there's no way you'd be able to tell just from the lyrics of the song...
Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #12
nyrice45
Eskimo Friend

yeah- when i said song previously known as dogs i was just referring to the forum calling it that- i know the lyrics arent the ones hes used live - but they certainly refer back to that song - so I was just wondering why that would be included in 9's artwork- i will look for that post you mentioned-

also I think the threesome the previous post mentioned was, in fact, 9 crimes- and they were just basing that on hearing the story
Old 11-15-2006, 07:14 PM   #13
Niko
Eskimo Regular

It's the second post down here. Now I need a lie down after having to trawl through Spamlet's posts...
Old 11-15-2006, 07:43 PM   #14
nyrice45
Eskimo Friend

thanks a lot-
Old 11-16-2006, 01:47 AM   #15
emmy
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tywy
you need to play it on a regular CD player and rewind from the start of track 1
I did that and it didn't work!

Is it even possible to screw that up? The last track is 20 minutes long, but its just some chime-like noises from the end of Sleep Don't Weep.
emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:38 AM   #16
coldwaterisrain
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko
Eh? Which song is about having a threesome? Damien has previously told a story prior to performing 9 Crimes which certainly suggests there may be some of that involved, but there's no way you'd be able to tell just from the lyrics of the song...

Accidental Babies is about having a threesome....and really yeah you can analyze lyrics to find out thier meanings. I mean granted there are some songs that you cant know what they are about unless you hear it strait from the artists mouth, but this song is blatently about the aformentioned. And i swear if Spamalot comes in here and tries to belittle me....grrr to him..or her for that matter...
Old 11-16-2006, 04:45 AM   #17
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i don't think it's about that at all, it's about being the other man in an extra-marital affair and wanting her to leave him before it's too late...
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy
I did that and it didn't work!

Is it even possible to screw that up? The last track is 20 minutes long, but its just some chime-like noises from the end of Sleep Don't Weep.
it didn't work for me either on 2 different cd players, nor the EAC thing.. i don't think it's there..
Old 11-16-2006, 04:56 AM   #18
coldwaterisrain
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
i don't think it's about that at all, it's about being the other man in an extra-marital affair and wanting her to leave him before it's too late... it didn't work for me either on 2 different cd players, nor the EAC thing.. i don't think it's there..
Oh *blushes* i guess looking at it that way and going back to look at it lyrically your right....i guess i just heard what i wanted to hear...
Old 11-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #19
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
It's the second post down here. Now I need a lie down after having to trawl through Spamlet's posts...
Um...thanks, Niko, I think.

CWIR,

That genuinely hurts me that you think I try to be-little people. I don't even know you. I've never just viciously attacked anybody unprovoked. In fact, I just got on a new guy the other day about not being mean/abusive to another member.

What I'm sorry to say happens is that I make a lighthearted joke sometimes which people take seriously (despite peppering it with appropriate smilies). That, or they mistake my overly analytical and very passionate nature for aggression. I truly love arguing because I feel it's wonderful intellectual exercise. I'm not always all that interested in winning but I enjoy playing Devil's advocate because my brain naturally tends to look at every angle.

Couple that with a writing background trained in arts criticism (probably closest to the NY Times' model) which many will probably dismiss as a pretentious, stuffy or academic style; and I suppose that can all seem somewhat intimidating. I apologize for giving you the wrong impression of me. If it helps any, those who actually know me in person often say I'm one of the sweetest, most supportive friends and/or co-workers they know. I've also worked with the homeless, the mentally disabled and was an elementary teacher for over ten years. I'm just an ol' softie who loves cute lil' kittens and my 3 adorable nieces. I won't bite chya.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #20
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
Um...thanks, Niko, I think.
Ah, 'twas just a harmless joke at the expense of yourself and your writing style, Spamlet

Oh, and, um...if you're trying to argue that you're not pretentious, it's usually best not to finish up by listing your references and your charity work. It just sounds a bit...pretentious. Honestly nothing personal, I think you're a valuable forummer with good and insightful points to make, but that end bit really doesn't help your case much...
Old 11-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #21
Bumpman

I don't think very many of us would really say that about you Spamlet, well, not seriously anyway I understand where you're coming from, I've got the writing and art criticism bit too. As such I've learned not to sugar-coat my arguments just because someone else thinks that I should feel bad about making them.

Coldwaterisrain; if you don't like someone else on this forum then you can just block their posts, but your comment was absolutely unprovoked in this thread, in fact Spamlet hadn't even posted anything, so there's no need to be aggressive.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #22
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Ah, 'twas just a harmless joke at the expense of yourself and your writing style, Spamlet

Oh, and, um...if you're trying to argue that you're not pretentious, it's usually best not to finish up by listing your references and your charity work. It just sounds a bit...pretentious. Honestly nothing personal, I think you're a valuable forummer with good and insightful points to make, but that end bit really doesn't help your case much...
I knew that, I was only faux reacting to it (hence the smiley). edit: whoops, nevermind. I guess the smiley for it never loaded and I missed it: would've been this one

Aww Helll, no! I wasn't arguing that part. Don't mind that designation at all. Seems it comes along automatically with using a sizable vocabulary in your writing. Turns many off instantly. It's a kind of prejudice so I always try to joke about it to put folks at ease.

In those "about me" thingees online I always call myself a "pretentious artist type". I don't take myself that seriously, as evidenced by my screenname (amazed how many people ignore that who think I'm "oh-so-stern").

The only case I was trying to make was that I'm not cruel. Or vicious or malicious (just dee-lovely and dee-licious). That's mighty hard to reassure someone of unless you meet in person, I know, but I tried anyway.

(P.S. perhaps I'm forever misusing that last dude but he seems to me to be the "frustrated by hopes dashed again" one. Either that or maybe he's the lil' "I don't wanna take my codliver oil, it's so icky!" guy?

Last edited by Spamlet; 11-16-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:34 AM   #23
coldwaterisrain
Eskimo Baby

spam,
im sorry if i offended you with my prejudments of you. its just when i read the replys you give people it just seems so....harsh. Anyway, so yes i apologize. I really would like your honest to goodness opinion of '9' i havent seen any reviews from you.