Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 10-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
theboxer
Eskimo Friend

Exclamation 9 Album Samples Available Now!

Sorry about that, I thought they were legit streams.

Last edited by theboxer; 10-20-2006 at 10:34 AM.
theboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

I can't see how this is not illegal.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
droovin
A Hoi-Hoi

yeh but i bet you looked though

My Band

My Usual Hangout
droovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by droovin
yeh but i bet you looked though
I would have, if I didn't already know the files were on there.

But that's not really the point, now is it.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
ZachC
Eskimo Regular

i dont see why it would be illegal ... im glad i got a listen

Visit me and my band at www.myspace.com/zcraftmusic
ZachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachC
i dont see why it would be illegal ... im glad i got a listen
You can't see why unreleased tracks that are available as
downloadable MP3's are illegal? That's just strange.

It's not a legit source, it's just a collection of songs
that are available on blogs. Nothing legal about that.

Last edited by Accidental Baby; 10-20-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Accidental Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #7
Bumpman

They're all illegally hosted. Most of the songs on there haven't been released.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
Shaney
Eskimo Friend

Default Downloadable

The tracks are on ***REMOVED*** available for download.....
Shaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #9
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

AGAIN I remind people to NOT link to unreleased material in the forums or PMs.

Last edited by Wheels; 10-20-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
ZachC
Eskimo Regular

you know what im sorry but these artist make boocku bucks lots of money millions and you want to whine about a few songs leaked whatever ... if damien rice wants to sue me for the 100 $ to my name do it ... but what they do for a living is a blessing .. no need to worry about a few songs leaked im still going to buy the album but illegal music is retarded ... i would go to court for downloading anything free ... they make all the money they are doing what they want making money doing it ... so screw illegal

Old 10-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #11
ancyuber
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
you know what im sorry but these artist make boocku bucks lots of money millions and you want to whine about a few songs leaked whatever ... if damien rice wants to sue me for the 100 $ to my name do it ... but what they do for a living is a blessing .. no need to worry about a few songs leaked im still going to buy the album but illegal music is retarded ... i would go to court for downloading anything free ... they make all the money they are doing what they want making money doing it ... so screw illegal

I think the biggest thing is if it goes on around here, they are going to come in and shut down the site. Thats why its so strict around here, i think. =p
ancyuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #12
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Zach, by all means start a thread in Everything Else to debate that point... there are plenty of reasonable points to be made on both sides. Just don't post links on this site to unreleased music.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:26 PM   #13
tj
Phono Vox

Quote:
i know this should be in the everything else section... However... A comment like this shouldn't be left. You may buy the album after hearing the samples but think of the thousands that may not. Think of the thousands that will wait and get it copied from their friends and think of the thousands who download illegally even after the album's release. It's not a case of the artist making millions so downloading a leaked track or two is ok.. It's the next generation of artists and the independent shop owners who will suffer.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:08 AM   #14
Bumpman

It's pretty futile to argue the point though. People seem to make up their minds that musicians are millionaires trying to ruthlessly squeeze every red cent out of a cash cow. That in having talent, they have a source of wealth that can't be harmed by John Doe listening to a few downloaded tracks. It's infinitely more complicated though. What Zach won't recognise is that Damien Rice doesn't have the kind of cash that we'd all like to imagine that O has made for him. He still has to take out a mortgage on his house. He still has to pay wages for a crew of fifty people doing a full time job (even when they're not working).

It's not fair for anyone to determine that because someone is using their creative mind to make a living, that it's open season on whatever they do. A leaked download will affect how the record performs. As an artist on an independent label, Damien has to face the fact that if 9 doesn't make money right away, then he has to shut down his label, stop financing the production of albums and move to a big record company. The fact is Zach, that there isn't a lot of money there to back up 9 if things go wrong. There's certainly not millions, so spare us the lecture on copyright law. You don't have the right to say what should and shouldn't be free.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:12 AM   #15
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
As an artist on an independent label, Damien has to face the fact that if 9 doesn't make money right away, then he has to shut down his label, stop financing the production of albums and move to a big record company.be free.
not gonna happen!!!
but if it doesnt make money right away then i think i'd donate or summat .
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:37 AM   #16
Bumpman

Well I'm sure I'd be right in saying that pressing a few hundred thousand copies of 9 wasn't free. Loans need to be paid back, distribution, packaging, shipping, licencing, mastering, mixing, duplication & promotion (yes promotion) all has to be paid for. The band will take a percentage of the record's earnings. The people who work at the label all have to be paid. Touring doesn't help very much, there's very low ticket sales because they play such small venues, and bring a crew of about fifteen.

Despite all that you're probably right, he wouldn't switch to a major label. But you'd better believe that if the album was made available for download free, it would put a pretty huge dent in any hope of actually being able to sustain what The Band does. Most people aren't huge fans. If they can get the album onto an iPod then spending money on it will seem stupid.

The guy who hosts the file on the mp3 page (gbs3769), said that in a month he did 39.9GB of transfers solely on the recordings on this site. That translates as roughly 11,000 songs downloaded... In a month. Not to mention that those songs were live recordings of songs from O taken from various sources. Hosting a full live show by Damien probably would have doubled the downloads. Having a leaked and unreleased album freely available for download on a fansite would be insane. The news would spread like wildfire, it would be on every warez and sharing site on the internet within a few hours time. You'd better believe that it would have more then 11,000 downloads in a month.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:21 AM   #17
Nine
Inuit

hear hear sean.

zach - with respect - you seem a little naive and/or ingorant on this subject. Just because an artist has had a successful release does not automatically make them a millionaire. Especially not in Damien's case. So shhhh, and go buy 9.

x
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #18
ZachC
Eskimo Regular

# 1, i didnt post the link #2 i am not saying he is a millionaire he probably lives a pretty good life though and hardly thinks about money and i am certainly not ignorant on this subject ... i am a musician and i would love for people to download my stuff and don't sit there and say " shhhh " like a little kid all i am saying is i heard a couple of new songs and you couldnt even download them so whats the harm ...

Old 10-22-2006, 05:00 AM   #19
HOBBE5
Eskimo Baby

What was it? Was it 30 sec samples of each track on the album or a stream of the whole album, or a couple tracks that were streamed?
HOBBE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:02 AM   #20
StatQuo
You never got me right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBE5
What was it? Was it 30 sec samples of each track on the album or a stream of the whole album, or a couple tracks that were streamed?
It was the sampler (9 crimes, Elephant and Me my yoke) & Rat Within the grain to download.

What the impact is for an artist regarding sales, i have mixed feelings. I must admit i have downloaded albums before. I've even downloaded the above songs, and i'm buying two copies of damiens 9 in two weeks one for me & one for a friend.

Truth is i discoverd damien with CLOSER, then downloaded his songs through circuits like limewire and ended up buying his album and becoming my favourite artist.

Last edited by StatQuo; 10-22-2006 at 11:10 AM.
StatQuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:10 AM
StatQuo
This message has been deleted by StatQuo.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #21
ZachC
Eskimo Regular

you know what i think this thread should be trashed get rid of it

Old 10-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #22
tj
Phono Vox

It's an interesting topic... I like it. Maybe it should be moved to the everything else forum but I think it's an interesting discussion.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #23
HOBBE5
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatQuo
It was the sampler (9 crimes, Elephant and Me my yoke) & Rat Within the grain to download.

What the impact is for an artist regarding sales, i have mixed feelings. I must admit i have downloaded albums before. I've even downloaded the above songs, and i'm buying two copies of damiens 9 in two weeks one for me & one for a friend.

Truth is i discoverd damien with CLOSER, then downloaded his songs through circuits like limewire and ended up buying his album and becoming my favourite artist.
Oh, I thought it was half the album of something, since some samplers have at least 5-6 tracks, but since it's 4 songs, 3 album and a b-side, which I've heard, it could've been worse.

I have mixed feelings as well. I already made up my mind once I heard the new album was coming out, regardless that it doesn't have THEN GO , that I was buying the album.

I think it could be ok for a song or two, to filter out through the net, and a stream of the whole album the day before the album release, to gain a variety of attention and new fans.

It's really a double edge sword.
HOBBE5 is offline   Reply With Quote