Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Nine
Inuit

Default ohhh i am SO confused.

When I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjVfLtrB5PU
a while back, I thought - well obviously that's not really the official video - it's something somebody has made.

But now there is a link to it on the DR.com video page - is it honestly the official video? And is the guy Damien?

Can someone explain please. hehe

x
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Yes, I think it's the official video... Too well-done to be a fan thing... and I guess it'd Damien, although he never shows the whole face so could be anyone...
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Yes, I think it's the official video... Too well-done to be a fan thing... and I guess it'd Damien, although he never shows the whole face so could be anyone...
but it's so wierd
especially if you freeze on the shot of the floating poo... yuck :P

im just spun out. hehe.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Didn't see the image you're mentioning... I thought it was a nice video, really well-done... Like the images when he's writing the lyrics for the song... Is it his hand-writing?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #5
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Didn't see the image you're mentioning... I thought it was a nice video, really well-done... Like the images when he's writing the lyrics for the song... Is it his hand-writing?
have a look just at the beginning of when the images start flashing after the writing part. One of them is loads of poo floating in a toilet. Very odd!
x
Old 12-02-2006, 12:13 AM   #6
dawno
just mildly free

I first saw this video over a year ago (maybe?) on vh-1.com. It's definitely official....
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #7
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
have a look just at the beginning of when the images start flashing after the writing part. One of them is loads of poo floating in a toilet. Very odd!
x
he told the poo story once... in philadelphia 2003 if i remember well...
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:42 AM   #8
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32
he told the poo story once... in philadelphia 2003 if i remember well...
oooh please do enlighten me!
x
Old 12-02-2006, 04:31 AM   #9
DRQuebec
Eskimo Regular

This video sucks. So does the remix. So does Damien's mustache in the video.

Is it intended to be this ugly? I think so. He wasnt happy bout the remix so maybe he did this video to screw the song (remixed).

And people still say it's a wonderful video. He could have filmed somebody puking for 4 minutes and some people would still find a beautiful meaning to it.
DRQuebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:17 AM   #10
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
oooh please do enlighten me!
x
it's not a long story

he said something like: it wasn't my poo, it was someone else's poo. i went into a toilet one day and there was this huge enormous poo, so i took a picture of it
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #11
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRQuebec
This video sucks. So does the remix. So does Damien's mustache in the video.

Is it intended to be this ugly? I think so. He wasnt happy bout the remix so maybe he did this video to screw the song (remixed).

And people still say it's a wonderful video. He could have filmed somebody puking for 4 minutes and some people would still find a beautiful meaning to it.
Ah, but we who say it's wonderful do so because this particular video is remarkably meaningful. I'd go so far as to say it's probably one of the most successful examples of the artform. Like life, it contains beauty, ugliness, humor and poignancy. It takes the major thematic elements of the song's lyrics (sensorial texture, transition and distance) and elucidates them through glorious still photography.

What could be a better metaphor for the imperminence of experience? A picture is a vain attempt to capture that which is fleeting. We try to share something which cannot actually be re-experienced. All we have is a two dimensional image of that moment which has already passed. We attempt to preserve life with machines but, just like everything else, they too will eventually die.

We select what is meaningful to us by framing it. Yet what ever is happening right outside of the frame ought to be just as inspirational, for life is everything we've ever encountered through any and all of our senses. In this video Damien chooses to show many things that are not normally considered beautiful or worthy of close examination and yet by juxtaposing them with things that are more recognizably so, the images are all treated with equal personal integrity. **** floating in a toilet is as potent a reminder of our mortality as anything else you care to name.

There's not one image in this video that doesn't provoke a gut emotional reaction of some kind. Especially if you were to pause it and really take it in. Our emotions are triggered by one or more of our senses. Our senses are our connection to the world we live in. Our time here is brief. How often do we really notice the various states of decay that everything which surrounds us is undergoing?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #12
Martine
Eskimo Friend

Wow, I haven't seen this video, but it is great
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:45 PM   #13
lilia
la fille eskimo

Wow spamlet, this is well said and well explained!

I do think this video represent exactly what damien's music is : instant, sensations, beauty and pain. All those eternal and fleeting moments that make life.

Each image of the video is a trivial piece of life and I think we can all recognise ourselves in it.
Showing raw images like that is showing the reality that we all share, we all go throught the same things after all.

(but i do agree that the moustache isnt exactly it...)
lilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Now I'm confused too... Did Damien direct the video himself? You're all talking like if he did...
Old 12-03-2006, 01:46 AM   #15
theninthcrime
Igloo Melter

well it seems like he took many of them pictures on his travels (including poo photo), and its definately his voice at the very end of the video where they talk about the battery dying while they were filming the writing on paper bit of the video. I wonder why he included the battery dying clip??? could be relevant in so many ways???

and seriously is that his moustasch or just a shadow???
theninthcrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:52 AM   #16
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by theninthcrime
well it seems like he took many of them pictures on his travels (including poo photo), and its definately his voice at the very end of the video where they talk about the battery dying while they were filming the writing on paper bit of the video. I wonder why he included the battery dying clip??? could be relevant in so many ways???

i think it's his

the whiole thing is just really really odd.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:13 AM   #17
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

Quote:
but it's so wierd
especially if you freeze on the shot of the floating poo... yuck :P

im just spun out. hehe.
spun out... like as in the drug term meaning doing herion!?!?!?!?!??! yummy
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:01 AM   #18
DRQuebec
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
Ah, but we who say it's wonderful do so because this particular video is remarkably meaningful. I'd go so far as to say it's probably one of the most successful examples of the artform. Like life, it contains beauty, ugliness, humor and poignancy. It takes the major thematic elements of the song's lyrics (sensorial texture, transition and distance) and elucidates them through glorious still photography.

What could be a better metaphor for the imperminence of experience? A picture is a vain attempt to capture that which is fleeting. We try to share something which cannot actually be re-experienced. All we have is a two dimensional image of that moment which has already passed. We attempt to preserve life with machines but, just like everything else, they too will eventually die.

We select what is meaningful to us by framing it. Yet what ever is happening right outside of the frame ought to be just as inspirational, for life is everything we've ever encountered through any and all of our senses. In this video Damien chooses to show many things that are not normally considered beautiful or worthy of close examination and yet by juxtaposing them with things that are more recognizably so, the images are all treated with equal personal integrity. **** floating in a toilet is as potent a reminder of our mortality as anything else you care to name.

There's not one image in this video that doesn't provoke a gut emotional reaction of some kind. Especially if you were to pause it and really take it in. Our emotions are triggered by one or more of our senses. Our senses are our connection to the world we live in. Our time here is brief. How often do we really notice the various states of decay that everything which surrounds us is undergoing?
I'm amazed. This video forces me to reconsider all the decisions I've taken in my life. Were they really the right ones? I mean, this poo in the toilet, it just makes me think about that time I left this girl because I was afraid of happiness. How deep is this... And if you look even closer, this video is about poverty in Africa. Like, all this poo in the toilet is a sign that we, rich civilizations, eat way more than we should, and we don't share with the poor ones. Yeah, definatly, I think Damien made this video to help bringing solutions to the poverty in the world.

...or maybe he was only having a little fun, not caring about what it meant.

Last edited by DRQuebec; 12-03-2006 at 04:03 AM.
DRQuebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:50 AM   #19
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theninthcrime

I think the part about the battery dying fits in pretty specifically with several of the points I just made about this video. I always thought that was quite a witty lil' ending.

Actually it's both. He's definitely got a good one goin' but with the absence of key overhead lighting and in black and white it appears both darker and longer. Keep in mind they probably didn't want to show the rest of his face because he cut all his hair off then as a record company protest, remember?

But why's eveybody hatin' on the supa-stache? Damo's sported similar facial hair to that for a long time. Personally, I'm glad they're coming back now: looks totally bad-ass. Coolest pics I have of him feature it:

Last edited by Spamlet; 12-03-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #20
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

the last one is of him food shopping.....can the mad not but organic food in temple bar without being raped by the press.

ITS FOOD
Old 12-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #21
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Now I see thee video might be directed by Damien himself... there is one shot from a street in Barcelona!!!! his beloved city!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:23 AM   #22
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pink
the last one is of him food shopping.....can the mad not but organic food in temple bar without being raped by the press.

ITS FOOD
Mad not but organic food being raped by the press?

Oh wait: man not buy?

Had some strange images in my head there.

Last edited by Spamlet; 12-04-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #23
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
spun out... like as in the drug term meaning doing herion!?!?!?!?!??! yummy
haha no.. just regularly spun out.