Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 11-04-2014, 01:16 AM   #61
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Just back from the gig, it started out like the perfect setlist, yet turned into a very lonely performance. His overdrive pedal felt like it was making up for his lack of band or sound he wanted and had. His harmonies and choice of setlist was missing the one thing i always said he didn't need but he so regretfully misses.. His storytelling was great and repetitive, sometimes striking the right chord, or failing off into mumbles. It had passion without the intensity.

At the end i was fully sure he said "see you all.... sometime", but perhaps thats the pesimist in me

Anyways i don't want to write a bad review here, or for people to feel down about a really positive gig, but perhaps i've just outgrown my love for the way he plays his music. Was a great venue, great sound, perfect audience (why have Dublin crowds learned to shut the **** up recently?!).

I could be off here, this is just my impression of the gig. Everyone gets something different from it and perhaps i miss Lisa and the band (i never was one to say he needed them) but it felt very lonely for him playing those songs tonight from my seat anyways.

I had more written, i just don't to be a downer after a good gig. The best version of 'the blowers daughter' ive seen live, which isn't one of my favourite songs.

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic

Last edited by Gatsby; 11-04-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:55 AM   #62
zincrox
Local Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
Just back from the gig, it started out like the perfect setlist, yet turned into a very lonely performance. His overdrive pedal felt like it was making up for his lack of band or sound he wanted and had. His harmonies and choice of setlist was missing the one thing i always said he didn't need but he so regretfully misses.. His storytelling was great and repetitive, sometimes striking the right chord, or failing off into mumbles. It had passion without the intensity.

At the end i was fully sure he said "see you all.... sometime", but perhaps thats the pesimist in me

Anyways i don't want to write a bad review here, or for people to feel down about a really positive gig, but perhaps i've just outgrown my love for the way he plays his music. Was a great venue, great sound, perfect audience (why have Dublin crowds learned to shut the **** up recently?!).

I could be off here, this is just my impression of the gig. Everyone gets something different from it and perhaps i miss Lisa and the band (i never was one to say he needed them) but it felt very lonely for him playing those songs tonight from my seat anyways.

I agree with parts of this as I left the theatre wishing for a bit more, but still it was a really well played gig by Damien (and the choir/ronan on t&t). Even though there was like a 99.999% chance that Lisa wouldn't join him, I did feel this glimmer of hope a few times towards the end..
he played a few riffs that sounded like the intro to new songs but they were always shut off with a "this isn't going anywhere" ... maybe we caught a glimpse of camarillas or mustard seeds? We'll find out soon enough. That or he was just noodling.
His voice/attitude at the start was very 'chill/dry', but he warmed up after a few songs.

The audience... I've never seen one like that. Not a sound during any of the songs except Volcano when they really got into the audience participation!

Overall, a band would have benefitted some of the songs like MFFF and I Remember but he did well with the peddles even if it got a bit repetitive. The tone out of that guitar is incredible. I sat there staring at it thinking about all of the places it's been, songs it's a part of and all the modifications made to give it all those effects.

The things I would have liked to have heard tonight; extended french section of the professor (prefer it too the extra long petiiiiiiit), sand, fool and toffee pop.
But hey, there's still a few more gigs in this tour, and youtube exists!
Old 11-04-2014, 03:39 AM   #63
lod
Eskimo Regular

Will post tomorrow, only home and need some sleep.. What an incredible experience we all shared tonight.. Dying to know.. Did anyone manage to record it?
lod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #64
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

so no one was shouting crazy requests?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #65
Damien Ricicle
Eskimo Friend

Hi, its been a while.

Cocunut skins from a distance.

http://youtu.be/DyrVv7eP93k
Damien Ricicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #66
jupitercrash
Nothing is lost...

Couldn't write last night, I was flattened by the gig. In a good way.

He didn't talk at all during the first 5 or 6 songs. I got the distinct impression that he was exorcising some of the pain of the past in a gut-wrenchingly emotional and lonely opening half hour, or so.

"I Don't Want To Change You" ended the opening wave of catharsis and was a little less heavy and I think he said something like "I can talk now" after it (or maybe before it). Maybe it was something else, but that's what it sounded like to me. Before that, all I can remember him saying was a sort of awkward comment about people coughing a lot.

The end of "The Professor" lightened things a little further before "Cannonball" and "Colour Me In" cloaked the place in darkness again. The introduction to "Colour Me In" was interesting. He spoke about cleaning a pot after burning soup, starting scrubbing with hands, then with a brillo pad and then resorting to using a screwdriver before giving up. I had thought that there was hope in this song that “colour me in” was a call to someone to help add lightness & colour to life, but this intro would suggest otherwise. More of a “I’ve given up trying to find myself, or trying to find someone who won’t try to change me – so **** it, colour me in whatever way you want”. This is probably way off, but it’s an interpretation of a song that he himself gave up trying to explain just after he performed it. He said, “It’s not about making soup, it’s about….” pause “… ah, **** it….”. Or something like that!

The “three versions” of “I Remember” were fun, or at least the story about the first two were. He spoke about conceiving the song on the way back from a performance at a GAA club, then he mocked the way he played it when he got home – in an Irish ballad sort of way, before mocking a deep/darker/lower toned version that the band tried their hand at.

I thought that it was interesting that he didn’t play “Cold Water”, I had wondered in advance whether he’s ask a random member of the audience to sing Lisa’s part – as he has done elsewhere – and I’m kind of glad he didn’t. Respect!?

“Trusty and True” was a perfect way to end it. An acceptance of the past, a call for progress. It was deep. Brilliantly assisted by Ronan O Snodaigh and choir in a less lonely finale.

This gig did it for me guys. The venue was wonderful, the sound quality superb, the crowd was perfect - showing respect and appreciation in perfect balance and Rice was supreme, he gave it everything and the audience seemed to feel that. Those that I spoke to afterwards were pretty flattened too.

Roll on London.
jupitercrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #67
Falling At Your Feet
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
perhaps i miss Lisa and the band (i never was one to say he needed them) but it felt very lonely for him playing those songs tonight from my seat anyways.
We all miss Lisa, but it's 7 years on, it's time to get over it, she is not coming back.

I felt the opposite, just in awe of a master at work. He could have easily have cobbled a band together, but chose not to. Standing at this venue on your own, take s alot of guts.

I'm sure he will have a band when he comes around again next year(hopefully). 4th time seeing him, and one of the best, the new tracks work great, and he has added a lot of nuances to the older tracks.

Would have liked to see a track or two on piano, but ya can't have everything.

It really, doesen't get much better than this.
Falling At Your Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #68
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling At Your Feet View Post
We all miss Lisa, but it's 7 years on, it's time to get over it, she is not coming back.

I felt the opposite, just in awe of a master at work. He could have easily have cobbled a band together, but chose not to. Standing at this venue on your own, take s alot of guts.

I'm sure he will have a band when he comes around again next year(hopefully). 4th time seeing him, and one of the best, the new tracks work great, and he has added a lot of nuances to the older tracks.

Would have liked to see a track or two on piano, but ya can't have everything.

It really, doesen't get much better than this.
Hmm yes, i don't think you understood what i said or misunderstood me or have your fingers in your ears. Either way, I'm fully aware Lisa/the band won't be returning and i am and always have been "over it". Despite that, i felt his choice of setlist and the way he sung tonight highlighted her/their absence. I also said i was never one to say he needed her/them, but last night he definitely missed and needed them, perhaps highlighting that, which is just my view on the matter.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #69
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

so how was it compared to the Whelans show this summer?
Old 11-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #70
Damohohoh
Eskimo Friend

You guys make me eager to see the videos. I think for him, performances in Dublin are always more personal and intimate than the others. Hometown, plus maybe a heavier burden of memories and nostalgia.

Either way, I thought Whelan's was spectacular. There was a rawness of emotion there, that was a little more than what he usually brings to the stage.

Additionally, I think you shouldn't rule out the fact that Lisa (along with the other members of their band) may join him for some performance (he himself said it could happen, and plus I think things are no longer as dramatic as they appeared to be in the infamous interview).

On a side note, I always wonder what it must be like to be a part of a story, the vague dimensions of which, perhaps strangers can gauge better than one of the main persons involved. In the sense, D&L are on talking terms now, and yet here comes a record which is a lament (not a plead) of sorts, and the audience is all "OMG", and I wonder how does the person to whom it is directed to (presumably) react? Does she understand and assume that it is all a part of creative expression with little to no base in truth, and doesn't let it affect a cordial equation? That seems improbable. How do you continue status quo (of cordial interaction) when records with such songs are being released, wherein all who hear are privy to the context if not the situation?

Sorry for the ramble, but it just popped into my head right now, as I imagined Lisa listening to his album, and I wondered, and regurgitated here.
Damohohoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #71
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
so how was it compared to the Whelans show this summer?
Hard to compare the two but the Whelans show was a lot more intimate yet a little less coherent. Nothing will change that gig, which could be the finest and best i've seen of him.
I didn't feel he missed the band at the Whelans gig, he could have played it all completely unplugged and was just perfect.
On a bigger stage, for a bigger crowd last night, it felt like he was compensating, or perhaps thats just how i'm used to those songs being played in that way.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #72
theninthcrime
Igloo Melter

Amazing amazing gig. Best Damien Rice gig I've ever been to out of 4 (I missed the Whelan's gig though)

I was worried towards the start that he wasn't going to talk to the crowd at all. I really liked the crowd interaction during Volcano and was happy that everyone shut up again after that (apart from the girl in front of me towards the back of the stalls who had to be kicked out for being drunk/rowdy).

Some of the stories later on about "I remember" and "Colour me in" were great. At two or three points for other songs he cut a story short and you could see him almost say "Nah I won't say that bit- It's too personal or they won't get it" - I wish he did keep talking

The only negatives I'd have is that I felt he did try to overcompensate for the lack of a band by using the pedal and strobe lights too much (anyone else think the strobes were blindingly bright). It just made him seem kind of angry and he isn't at the moment- he seems like he's in a really good comfortable place.

I felt his voice kind of struggled during some of the older songs trying to do Lisas parts at times- but if anything this gave an extra deeper sad element to the songs which kinda worked.

The Finalé was perfect. Rónán Ó Snodaigh is amazing and really added to the Finalé as did the Dublin Gospel Choir. Trusty and True was an amazing choice to finish on and I was delighted he got a full standing ovation
theninthcrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #73
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

^ agree completely with what you said, perhaps you summed it up better than me.

Found one photo from the gig so far.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #74
jupitercrash
Nothing is lost...

There are some more pics here:

http://www.hotpress.com/photos/photo_st.php?id=12855470

And one here on Ronan O Snodaigh's twitter account:

https://twitter.com/ronanosnodaigh/s...744192/photo/1
jupitercrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #75
Damohohoh
Eskimo Friend

Coconut Skins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyrVv7eP93k

I Remember
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FQg8XSU2-4
Old 11-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #76
Jane Doe
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damohohoh View Post
You guys make me eager to see the videos. I think for him, performances in Dublin are always more personal and intimate than the others. Hometown, plus maybe a heavier burden of memories and nostalgia.

Either way, I thought Whelan's was spectacular. There was a rawness of emotion there, that was a little more than what he usually brings to the stage.

Additionally, I think you shouldn't rule out the fact that Lisa (along with the other members of their band) may join him for some performance (he himself said it could happen, and plus I think things are no longer as dramatic as they appeared to be in the infamous interview).

On a side note, I always wonder what it must be like to be a part of a story, the vague dimensions of which, perhaps strangers can gauge better than one of the main persons involved. In the sense, D&L are on talking terms now, and yet here comes a record which is a lament (not a plead) of sorts, and the audience is all "OMG", and I wonder how does the person to whom it is directed to (presumably) react? Does she understand and assume that it is all a part of creative expression with little to no base in truth, and doesn't let it affect a cordial equation? That seems improbable. How do you continue status quo (of cordial interaction) when records with such songs are being released, wherein all who hear are privy to the context if not the situation?

Sorry for the ramble, but it just popped into my head right now, as I imagined Lisa listening to his album, and I wondered, and regurgitated here.
You have 'rambled' onto what I think we are all thinking.
Jane Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #77
lod
Eskimo Regular

There are so many things I want to say about the amazing gig last night, it was a masterclass in pure talent and I loved every minute.. Was proud to be Irish, proud of the beautiful space in our capital, where the audience were rapt and silenced by the force that is Damien Rice.. I will write a full review, when I have time later.. Met some Eskimo friends and that's a whole other story which I will fill you all in..was listening to Ray D'Arcy there on playback, as I missed his show this morning due to my very late night ( more tales to come) ... I knew Ray would talk about him as I bumped into him leaving the show..he said loads about Damien after he opened his show with The Blowers daughter.. He said you could hear a fly fart in the theatre! He then mulled about how many irish babies have been conceived to Damien Rice!! Then they joked about Damien and the story re the trocaire box,anyone read �� that article? then ray said he was talking to Damien's Aunty and nanny who were at the show, he said to them you know he says bastard in one of his songs and they laughed and said they'd heard a lot worse!!!! Well if they listened to the professor!!!!!!!!!!! Oh I just love Damien Rice..... More stories to follow.........
Old 11-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #78
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

^^^ Love it! Can't wait for your review! I love the stories between songs. If anyone has those, please share!

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 11-04-2014 at 02:53 PM.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #79
Falling At Your Feet
Eskimo Friend

Not many decent photos online from last night. Even the youtube vids, are quote far back.

They were very strict on the use of cameras(fair enough), a little army of camera spotters patrolled the crowd. Also, the stage was quite dark most of the time, so even if one could get a shot, the light was very poor.

Having said all that, it's no harm to go to a gig, which was for the most part, absent of camera flashes etc, though there were a few trying hard.

Last edited by Falling At Your Feet; 11-04-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #80
Jane Doe
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lod View Post
There are so many things I want to say about the amazing gig last night, it was a masterclass in pure talent and I loved every minute.. Was proud to be Irish, proud of the beautiful space in our capital, where the audience were rapt and silenced by the force that is Damien Rice.. I will write a full review, when I have time later.. Met some Eskimo friends and that's a whole other story which I will fill you all in..was listening to Ray D'Arcy there on playback, as I missed his show this morning due to my very late night ( more tales to come) ... I knew Ray would talk about him as I bumped into him leaving the show..he said loads about Damien after he opened his show with The Blowers daughter.. He said you could hear a fly fart in the theatre! He then mulled about how many irish babies have been conceived to Damien Rice!! Then they joked about Damien and the story re the trocaire box,anyone read �� that article? then ray said he was talking to Damien's Aunty and nanny who were at the show, he said to them you know he says bastard in one of his songs and they laughed and said they'd heard a lot worse!!!! Well if they listened to the professor!!!!!!!!!!! Oh I just love Damien Rice..... More stories to follow.........
Please tell me what the joke is about Damien and the trocaire box??
Jane Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #81
Damohohoh
Eskimo Friend

And the stories for "I Remember" as well! It is one of my favourite songs of his .
Old 11-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #82
Falling At Your Feet
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Doe View Post
Please tell me what the joke is about Damien and the trocaire box??
You can listen yourself here:
http://www.todayfm.com/player/shows/...cy_Show_Part_1

The 2 minute Damien rice bit, starts at 18:58.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #83
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

^ did they add a weird drum to this radio edit of TBD??
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #84
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Also how does that CNBC host not know that Ireland isn't part of the UK
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #85
lod
Eskimo Regular

Ok so trying to get it together to write a review of last night.. Met a few Eskimo friends in the ferryman, two friends who had come all the way from nz and USA... No pressure so Damien...I met a pal of mine who works in venues before the gig and so I knew to expect the stripped back gig, not maybe a string quartet r other musicians appearing that I had kinda expected in his home.. Firstly rows a and b were gone ( maybe to fit in the choir at the back,but probably something to do with shrek the musical running in the theatre currently! So my row f set was four rows frm the front! Yahoo....he started kinda like Amsterdam gig,at first, quiet, introspective, but I think he needs to give himself time to settle.. He's a shy man,needs to brace himself for the crowd interaction.. He came alive then,lots of smiles and stories...someone already shared the soup one,that he then said wasn't about soup.. Scrubbing the pot, an analogy of the dating game. i heard him quietly quip that it's about scrambled egg! Ever tried scrubbing that off a pot? he came alive and animated for volcano, comparing the building tempo to a couple making love, and then says but we won't go there! Lots of smiles and that cute little laugh he does.. I loved the image of him trotting home frm the GAA club after practicing, developing I remember, cos I have this image in my head of his mammy saying to him I'm not having you lot practicing in the house anymore, go find somewhere else! And it showed he can laugh at himself when he described the different versions.. As someone else says he started telling stories but stopped himself a few times and I wanted to shout at him go on tell us but it wasn't appropriate.. The gig was hushed and reverent to watch a master at work...v hard to get clips or photos. I have some pics but not sure how I add them here.. I'm still dying to know if anyone taped the gig... I counted, we got 17 tracks, and it was truly amazing.. The best gig I have ever seen and a tribute to the man and his guitar how he was able to hold the audience in the palm of his hand.. I'm sure every woman in the audience was looking at him thinking... I so would.... He's just amazing and the vulnerability makes him even more loveable. I have a whole story frm after the gig but maybe people don't want to hear that........

Last edited by lod; 11-04-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #86
theninthcrime
Igloo Melter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
^ did they add a weird drum to this radio edit of TBD??
Not to bring this thread off Topic but that version sounds awful - I really hate when they do this. When I got back from the gig last night (back on topic ha) I read that amazing Hot Press interview Damien did back in 2009 Worth a read if you haven't read it before- he professes his love for Lisa again and again.

During the interview he talks about radio edit of Cannonball.
Quote:
“The came to me and said ‘Are you open to people doing remixes of your songs?’ and I thought ‘cool’. To me, a remix was a really artistic interesting take on the song, you know. And I was like, ‘Yeah, absolutely’. So they sent me back some remix from somebody in the States, and I was like, ‘This is terrible. It just sounds cheesy’. So then, they said ‘Oh we’ll try somebody else’. After about ten different remixes of different songs, I was like ‘This is awful, can you just stop this? Who is paying for this?’. You know, probably me. So I was like ‘Stop!’.
And I remember my management at the time going, “Will you just give us something that we can get on radio, because we just can’t sell this unless we can get it on radio”. And I remember at the time I wrote a contract with them, and I said, “Okay, if you never mention the word ‘remix’ to me again, then I will let you use this one remix”. And so myself and my manager wrote a little contract. And so they used the Cannonball remix. But I remember there was a bit of fighting, you know, it took a bit of clashing before getting to a comfortable place with that, because it drove me nuts. I felt like, “Why are people trying to change this? What’s wrong? Trying to sell it? Sell what? Why?”. To me it had already sold more than I had ever dreamt it would sell. And so I didn’t have a concept of beyound 5000″.
So it puzzled me as to how this awful remix of TBD was created. A quick google brought me to this thread from 2004 which deals with it. The forum administrator explained at the time

Quote:
hey guys,

just to let you know about this. it is an unauthorised version of the blower's daughter that the band didn't know about. when they did hear about it they asked for it to be taken back from the radio stations immediately. so if you hear it played anywhere, can you please let me know as they want to get it back from every radio station. thanks and i hope that clears it up.
So basically in short damn you Today FM
theninthcrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #87
lod
Eskimo Regular

Chill out..just get in touch with ray D'Arcy and let him know...I'm sure he's not aware.. Today fm play Damien's music so I'm sure they would prefer to play the proper version.. I was podcasting and listening back today so was waiting for what ray said so didn't listen to the blowers daughter so didn't notice...
Old 11-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #88
carrroline
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by lod View Post
I have a whole story frm after the gig but maybe people don't want to hear that........
Well, i can't speak for all the eskimos, but I for one would love to hear it. (I'm really curious actually )
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #89
owenv123
Eskimo Baby

Still on a high after last night! Everyone has pretty much summed it up but a few points to add would be that he didn't add the 'somewhere' bit in the end of TGB, maybe just a once off? The finale of T&T with Ronan O Snodaigh was really something else, it seemed like they were almost having a musical battle of wills at one point, really going for it. Hope this got taped would really love to see it again myself. The strobe lighting was really blinding, wasn't all that necessary really but maybe the venue only had glaring lights? When people were shouting out requests there were some interesting ones, I was going for Cross Eyed Bear (personal favourite) I heard someone shout Front Door, Face, Lonely Soldier and Insane but a lot of people were shouting for The Professor so he played that one. The support act Jennifer Evans was interesting, very unique sound. Could hear a pin drop though never been to a gig before in Dublin that was that quiet, nearly afraid to breathe during certain parts! Definitely said scrambled egg at the end of the pot story, which is almost impossible to get off a pot, which in his analogy probably meant that whatever he tried to get rid off never left him. He also said that Colour Me In was a song about giving up, which led him to the scrubbing the pot story, something like you keep on going and going but after a while you give up and think well if it doesn't come off this time, it's not going to come off the next time I make soup, which in his analogy probably means that no matter how hard you try to erase something of yourself it remains and you have to live with it and go forward. And make more soup!!! What happened to you after the gig Linda, sorry I had to dash!!
owenv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #90
lod
Eskimo Regular

Well Owen I went with our Eskimo friends up town,looking for something open to eat of course everything shut... One lone guy was hanging around the stage door for ages,waiting for damien i presume..but sure he doesn't do authographs... Anyway,ended up going in to a takeaway to grab a pizza on the way which cumulated in us having to call an ambulance for some girl who collapsed, and fell off the seat..twice.. .v stoned..oh look at my home city, it's great, BUT......Then up town, where everywhere cept temple bar was shut, then drinks, then met some musician friends of mine and left 3 ish.. Vincent flight was in two hours and chloes not long after... Missed you to chat about the gig!!!!!

Last edited by lod; 11-04-2014 at 09:08 PM.