Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 11-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
misty
Malaysian Eskimo

Default Damien Rice @Neon Lights Festival, Singapore - November 29, 2015

It's been a long while since I make a stop here. The thing was, I almost lost hope to ever see him live on stage. But less than 2 weeks ago, I found out from his FB page that he's gonna be in Singapore on the 29, I was over the moon! Spend all my saving (I'm not the type who save much) for the festival and flight ticket and on the 28, I flew all the way from East Malaysia with my best friend, who's also a big fan of his. We spent the night at Changi Airport, since we're travelling in such tight budget. But it definitely worth every dollars we spent when we finally got to see him from the front row, pressed to the fence, a mere metres away from the stage. He opened his set with The Professor & I literally cried as he sang the first line of the verse. I don't know if I was overreacting, but somehow I felt so emotional that I couldn't held my tears. Just when I thought I couldn't ask for more, there he was, backstage, by the fence, entertaining a smaller crowd of fans who were still not geting enough of him (including us!). It was surreal that I got to shake his hand twice, and it's not just a touch-&-go kinda handshake, he had this genuinely appreciative look in his eyes as he squeezed my trembling hand and smile. I'm sorry for this terribly long post, but having to experience that I cant think of any better place to share it but here. Damien Rice is one talented, humble, beautiful man and I'm lucky enough to have seen him in front of my eyes. I'm a fan for life.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

That is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations, sounds like something you'll cherish forever!
Old 11-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty View Post
It's been a long while since I make a stop here. The thing was, I almost lost hope to ever see him live on stage. But less than 2 weeks ago, I found out from his FB page that he's gonna be in Singapore on the 29, I was over the moon! Spend all my saving (I'm not the type who save much) for the festival and flight ticket and on the 28, I flew all the way from East Malaysia with my best friend, who's also a big fan of his. We spent the night at Changi Airport, since we're travelling in such tight budget. But it definitely worth every dollars we spent when we finally got to see him from the front row, pressed to the fence, a mere metres away from the stage. He opened his set with The Professor & I literally cried as he sang the first line of the verse. I don't know if I was overreacting, but somehow I felt so emotional that I couldn't held my tears. Just when I thought I couldn't ask for more, there he was, backstage, by the fence, entertaining a smaller crowd of fans who were still not geting enough of him (including us!). It was surreal that I got to shake his hand twice, and it's not just a touch-&-go kinda handshake, he had this genuinely appreciative look in his eyes as he squeezed my trembling hand and smile. I'm sorry for this terribly long post, but having to experience that I cant think of any better place to share it but here. Damien Rice is one talented, humble, beautiful man and I'm lucky enough to have seen him in front of my eyes. I'm a fan for life.
absolutely get you. so happy for you
btw, if that how you truly felt, so you didn´t overeact for sure
Old 11-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
carrroline
person

That's a genuinely sweet story!
Happy for you Misty, enjoy the buzz
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:08 AM   #5
misty
Malaysian Eskimo

Thanks for your kind words, everyone! I know my EskimoFriends would understand how overwhelming the experience of seeing him for the first time could be.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

aww nice one, misty
Old 12-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #7
Claude
Eskimo Regular

Thanks to share your feelings Misty !

I'm sure you didn't "overreact".
I was so happy when I shake his hand in Paris !
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:18 AM   #8
Jaetheprincess
Eskimo Baby

Misty!!! Wondering if you are the one next to me at the front row!? I was there on Sunday!! I shook hands with Damien Rice for the first time as well!! He was very sweet saying thanks and holding hands for all of us waiting outside after the gig! I just happened to leave the venue at the same time as his van and I followed it a bit as well.. Haha He wasnt talking on the stage much in Singapore.. My personal opinion is that he seems more talking and joking in european tours than in Asian countries.. Or is it just depends on his mood..

Last edited by Jaetheprincess; 12-04-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Jaetheprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #9
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaetheprincess View Post
Misty!!! Wondering if you are the one next to me at the front row!? I was there on Sunday!! I shook hands with Damien Rice for the first time as well!! He was very sweet saying thanks and holding hands for all of us waiting outside after the gig! I just happened to leave the venue at the same time as his van and I followed it a bit as well.. Haha He wasnt talking on the stage much in Singapore.. My personal opinion is that he seems more talking and joking in european tours than in Asian countries.. Or is it just depends on his mood..
nice! happy for you

as for speaking, in fairness he plays much more often in europe than in asia it could also depend of the type of gig, the longer he is on stage the more are the chances for him to speak... i would go for his mood as well anyway
Old 12-05-2015, 04:31 AM   #10
misty
Malaysian Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaetheprincess View Post
Hey there, Jaetheprincess! I'm hard to miss, I think I was the only one in the front row wearing the hijab. And the fact that he shook my hand, looked at me, smile and thanked me as I said I flew all the way from Malaysia (regardless of how different my appearance was from the rest of the crowd) makes me love and respect him even more.

Last edited by misty; 12-05-2015 at 05:17 AM.
misty is offline   Reply With Quote