Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 12-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #781
cille
creepycute

The development between the police and climate demonstrants during the past week is ENRAGING me!!!

Thousands are being arrested 'preventively' without having done anything, and put into Guantanamo-like cages w/o bathroom facilities nor privacy - which is against human rights, and certainly against any decensy, but I guess we're past human decensy(sp?).
Before the Summit week the police showed off these wonderful climate cages. Plus a wonderful new water cannon, which they aren't even allowed to use according to Danish law. WOW, aren't we all impressed and intimidated??
The Government has made special 'bully laws' before the summit, sending a clear message to the police that they can do pretty much what they want to protesters.
The so-called 'terror laws' are being put into 'good' use by allowing the police to tap activists' phones and surveil them without needing to have any suspicion of illegal activities.
Activists homes and hangouts are being ransaked w/o court order (terror laws again) and 'effects that can be used as weapons', such as ladders and art, is removed.
People who look like activists, which apparently means wearing a back-pack, are being arrested just for taking the bus.

The police are really violent and mob-like when stopping the demonstrations, and they won't allow the press to witness the arrests - in one case they took the demonstrant with them into a basement, where they made the arrest, in other cases they have used violence to keep away reporters.
The police are also beating up summit delegates - our guests!! - who are watching the demonstrations.

I feel like I don't live in a democracy where you can PEACEFULLY demonstrate and protest when you feel something is wrong anymore, still the majority of the danish population don't seem to care - they even agree with how the police+politicians are handling things. What's the next step towards fascism?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #782
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
The Government has made special 'bully laws' before the summit, sending a clear message to the police that they can do pretty much what they want to protesters.

People who look like activists, which apparently means wearing a back-pack, are being arrested just for taking the bus.

I feel like I don't live in a democracy where you can PEACEFULLY demonstrate and protest when you feel something is wrong anymore, still the majority of the danish population don't seem to care - they even agree with how the police+politicians are handling things. What's the next step towards fascism?
that does suck! sadly, it´s no that new to me :s
i´m sorry you feel that way.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #783
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Cardinals bassist Chris Feinstein has passed away at his Manhattan home. He was 42.

Feinstein, endearingly known by the awesome nickname of Spacewolf by bandmates and fans alike, recorded and toured as a member of Ryan Adams & the Cardinals for their last two full-length albums, Easy Tiger and Cardinology.

SIGH. 2009, you officially suck.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #784
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
The development between the police and climate demonstrants during the past week is ENRAGING me!!!

Thousands are being arrested 'preventively' without having done anything, and put into Guantanamo-like cages w/o bathroom facilities nor privacy - which is against human rights, and certainly against any decensy, but I guess we're past human decensy(sp?).
Before the Summit week the police showed off these wonderful climate cages. Plus a wonderful new water cannon, which they aren't even allowed to use according to Danish law. WOW, aren't we all impressed and intimidated??
The so-called 'terror laws' are being put into 'good' use by allowing the police to tap activists' phones and surveil them without needing to have any suspicion of illegal activities.
Activists homes and hangouts are being ransaked w/o court order (terror laws again) and 'effects that can be used as weapons', such as ladders and art, is removed.

The police are really violent and mob-like when stopping the demonstrations, and they won't allow the press to witness the arrests - in one case they took the demonstrant with them into a basement, where they made the arrest, in other cases they have used violence to keep away reporters.
The police are also beating up summit delegates - our guests!! - who are watching the demonstrations.

When I read yesterday's news, I knew right away that something is crooked again. The (propaganda) news make it look like all the protestors are a bunch of crazy fanatics, but they can't fool me.

This pics says everything (the protestor is not armed and yet the policeman knüppels him for no apparent reason):

http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-4...eryV9-swtp.jpg

Conclusion/thesis: the police only fuels the violence.

Cille, your report sounds exactly how the police acted in 2007, when the G8 summit took place in northern german Heiligendamm. People got beaten up for nothing and were being put into animal-like cages with no water for hours (back then it was summer). Also, a friend of mine protested in France a while ago and the police robbed all her stuff and she couldn't get away and stood there for hours crying. The usual psychological tactic of the police is to encircle protestors. It's really hard for smaller people, they feel threatened almost instantly.

I wonder, do they put frustrated right-wing policeman in the danish operational units, like here in Germany (where most of the peaceful policemen sit behind the desks and are not out and about where they should be to de-escalate situations)?

Last edited by Hendrik; 12-17-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #785
cille
creepycute

^I don't know if they check for political background in the DK police, but I do think that the leaders of the police are right-wing (not ultra-rw, but the police boss ran for office for the danish party 'Venstre', which is the right-wing party that came up with all the terror- and 'bully' laws) and the signals they send to the policemen of course reflects that. And I think that all the mechanisms we know from social studies during the years about 'group-think' and so on, are happening right now - the individuakl policeman gives up his/her own morals in order to belong to the group and act like a 'real' policeman, which apparently now means being violent and brutal. Because the system allows such behaviour

Also I think the policemen are scared, which means they overreact and obuse their power this way - approved by the government and their bosses, so noone is regulating their fearful behaviour. Ridiculous.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #786
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

Cille, I'm sorry that this is happening in your country.

What's got me down - cigarettes. My dad smokes, and my parents visited for a week (they just left this morning). Even though he never smoked in the house, a lot of the rooms & furniture smell like smoke because it just clings to everything. I bought some fabric & air freshener, hopefully it will get the smell out (can't open a window to air the place out because it's too cold). Everyone in the family has been trying for years to get him to stop; he has cut down a lot but still smokes. He started smoking the night his first child was born - some idiot in the waiting room gave him a cigarette to calm him down (this was right before men were allowed in the labor & delivery room) and he's been hooked ever since. I think the next time I see him I'll just slap a nicotine patch on him.
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #787
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

^^ cille, I've gotta ask, is a right-wing party called 'venstre'? Maybe it means something completely different, but I'd think that means left, no?

^ bear, I know exacly how you feel, my grandmother actually just quit smoking, but she only did it because she'd started getting scared for her health, because she was feeling worse and worse. Turns out she's got lung cancer, though hopefully not the worst kind... We've been trying to get her to quit for years and years, but I really think it's like with any addiction, they have to want to quit themselves before they can.. But I think you should slap a patch on him, and then hide his cigarettes! ;P
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #788
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i´m working my ass off to make the following lines of "sand" true:

I don't wanna pray for what is not right
And I don't wanna beg for what is not mine
I don't wanna rock the road between dreams and worldly things

but i feel way far from it and it makes feel so frustrated, specially these days

ps: i´m sorry about your grandma´s bad news, emelie.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #789
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelie View Post
^^ cille, I've gotta ask, is a right-wing party called 'venstre'? Maybe it means something completely different, but I'd think that means left, no?
Ja, you are totally right, Venstre = Vänster, so it's quite confusing that they are a right-wing party. Back when it was formed it was a peasant's party and was in opposition to the Bourgouisie party 'Højre' (which doesn't exist anymore). I guess at the time (pre-communism I believe) they were to be considered leftist, and also I heard they were just sat in the left of the parliament.
They still represent farmers to some degree, but up through the 80'ies they have fully embraced neo-liberalism too.
They now call themselves 'The Liberal Left' which of course in english sounds even more radically lefty, but nonsense doesn't disturb them

Last edited by cille; 12-18-2009 at 07:49 AM.
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #790
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

Oh Emelie, that's awful about your grandmother. I hope she can recover from that. My dad SAID he was going to quit smoking when his first grandchild was born, but that was about 9 years ago and it still hasn't happened - though my mom says he has cut back considerably since then. He's a strong Christian, so I told him that if he quit in 2010 I would read the entire Bible next year, but he said he'd rather I study the Gospels & Acts. I asked him if I could pick the study guide or if he had to pick it for the deal to work, and he just laughed and said he'd have to think about it (I am a Christian too but our beliefs are very different, and I know we would never pick the same study guide - mine would be far too liberal & "heretical" for him). So we'll see - hopefully by the end of next year he'll be smoke-free and I'll know everything there is to know about Matthew Mark Luke & John
Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #791
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

thank you vere and bear! We're still waiting for some test results to see whether or not they were able to stem the spread of the cancer cells, but I hope that if the prognosis were really bad they would've told us!

And cille ^ I'm glad I was right, but that is such a backwards way to name parties! :P
Old 12-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #792
verenita
... trusty and true ...

realising (by reading damien´s interview) that time means nothing somtimes. applying this idea to my life, it´s hurts so much these days
Old 12-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #793
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

^ So sorry to hear that you're feeling down, hunny bun. Hope things start looking up SOON!!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #794
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks honey
i´m basically "stable" (is this right to describe a mood?) most of the time. things are going fine in here. but, sometimes and suddenly, something appears and, bum! pulling me down right the way. i just want to clean up all my inner me :S
Old 12-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #795
cille
creepycute

^biiiiig major hugs to you vere, sad to hear that you're sad!!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #796
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

^^ ooh, honey I so know what you mean! Hope it gets better for you soon!

My downer; I'm falling for someone I really shouldn't fall for. And it's not that we wouldn't be perfect together, we really would, but that I hardly know him and it will never happen.
It's making me all kinds of creative and depressed and shít so I'm a bit.. bleh about it all.

Stupid heart!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #797
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Verenita, hope you're feeling better soon. *hugs*

Quote:

My downer; I'm falling for someone I really shouldn't fall for. And it's not that we wouldn't be perfect together, we really would, but that I hardly know him and it will never happen.
It's making me all kinds of creative and depressed and shít so I'm a bit.. bleh about it all.

Stupid heart!
The same bollocks here, Emelie... The creative thing is the most interesting part about it though.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #798
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
The same bollocks here, Emelie... The creative thing is the most interesting part about it though.
Aw, that sucks! Yeah, sure it's interesting, but when I get this creative it's mostly a nuisance because I can't possibly get it all out and then I get frustrated as hell and then
Old 12-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #799
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
oh, oh... if this will never really happen, i hope someone else bump into you and give you no choice

Quote:
Stupid heart!
seconded big hugs, sweetie.

and hugs to you too hen, i hope the same for you.
thanks cille
Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #800
Rai
Eskimontologist

Just read that there are numerous bars in my country, even in Budapest where they don't serve blacks or gypsies. Seriously? Racial segregation in Europe? Didn't we stop doing those kinds of things since like, dunno, the dawn of history? (With the exception of the nazis) I know that my country is more backward then gorram Tatooine, but my level of tolerance is wearing pretty thin. I don't even want to imagine what will happen when the religious right will come to power in Spring, with the fascists being the third (or maybe even the second) largest party in parliament.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #801
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

I have a bad cold!! So do the boys. Argh. I have an OB appt tonight so hopefully they can give me an idea of whether or not labor is imminent. I keep having these Braxton-Hicks "practice" contractions, which are normal, but they have gotten more intense over the past few days. I feel like a ticking time bomb! I just want to get the c-section over with and get my four days of drugs, sleep & baby cuddles in the hospital.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #802
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

^ aww, honey I wish you all the best and lots of luck and lots of cuddles!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 04:24 AM   #803
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

a beautiful angel is no longer on this world. Lhasa de Sela died of breast cancer on Jan 1st

La Celestina

La Confession

Love came here
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #804
Rai
Eskimontologist

Why do women have the tendency to pop up out of months of hiding about ten seconds before people can finally getting over them? Is it a kind of "Im in ur IChat screwing up your life" instinct?

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #805
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i´d say it´s not about, strictly, women...
but, believe me, i know nothing in regards these issues. i´m sorry anyway.

oh, if "people" get sad, mad or, even, angry at this, they weren´t "ten seconds before people can finally getting over them"

sorry, i know it was a rhetorical question, rai. it seems my mind had something to say as well.

as for me: fridaaaaaaayyyyy
(busy week.)

Last edited by verenita; 01-08-2010 at 02:31 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote