Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 01-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
spiraali
Eskimo Baby

Default Animals were gone -my cover

Hi. Here´s my rare cover of animals were gone - song. its 30 minutes old i just recorded it. i know singing might be terrible...but give comments... http://www.teoband.com/Animals.mp3

And here´s other covers from me in youtube: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=spiraali

thanks...comments would be nice
spiraali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
pauly414
Eskimono

hey man, not bad at all, the singing's far from terrible, i'm liking your version of older chests.

good job man, keep it up
pauly414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

Your voice is alright. Not too shabby. what are you using to record? seemed like your guitar didint sound to great. i mean, the playing was fine, and it sounded ok, just sounded that the mic wasnt really being very nice to it.

I got a song of my own if you wanna check it out and return the comment. Its not very good, its kinda just a preview to what my album will be... however, this song wont be on it... so its not really anything but a song i wrote that isnt very good....

Anyway...

www.soundclick.com/robmcgrail
robmcgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmcgrail
Your voice is alright. Not too shabby. what are you using to record? seemed like your guitar didint sound to great. i mean, the playing was fine, and it sounded ok, just sounded that the mic wasnt really being very nice to it.

I got a song of my own if you wanna check it out and return the comment. Its not very good, its kinda just a preview to what my album will be... however, this song wont be on it... so its not really anything but a song i wrote that isnt very good....

Anyway...

www.soundclick.com/robmcgrail
Actually Rob,

Your piano and especially your synths etc. were really nice. Now not to be Simon Cowell or anything but your voice wanders so much off pitch that I suspect you may be tone deaf. At the very least you should begin taking voice lessons before you attempt to record an ep (especially if, as the title suggests you're attempting to cover Damo's unbelievable range).

Now your friend Justine shows extraordinary promise as a songwriter. She's got a gorgeous natural tone to her voice yet also occasionally has problems with pitch (hers is with sustaining whereas yours was not finding it). She should really take voice lessons too because she also doesn't seem to have any real breath support and she attempts to sing above her 'break' often, a voice teacher would work with her to develop and widen her range.

I can't say enough about how important that would be for her. If this girl started taking singing lessons tomorrow and spent a little money to record these songs again on a professional studio demo I don't see why she wouldn't snag a record deal inside of two years.

She's got a wonderful sense of melody, her guitar work while technically simple is remarkably varied and she has an unerring feel for writing memorable hooks. Each one of these songs is still sticking with me. Honestly she's better than any of the unsigned atists I've heard on myspace all year (and believe me I get hundreds of "add requests"-due to the massive number and range of bands I've listed on my page-and I listen to at least two songs from each one before I decide what I think of them).

Again, I hope this doesn't sound harsh. Truthfully, anyone who's serious about singing should take lessons. Every good singer I know continues to do so. It's an investment in your career: the key difference between the talented amateurs and the pros.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
rockthesmurf
Friend

Quote:
however, this song wont be on it... so its not really anything but a song i wrote that isnt very good....
Wow, you sure know how to sell yourself there; you aren't by chance a salesman for your day job are you?

:P

Steve
xo
Old 01-19-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

lol, no. just a student.

I agree with what your saying spamlet. However, in her defence, i think the microphone isnt good enough to acctually caputre some of her higher range, so thats contributes to her sounding less good than she is, i agree she truly is a great talent. In my defence... well there isnt one. i cant sing.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
lol, no. just a student.

I agree with what your saying spamlet. However, in her defence, i think the microphone isnt good enough to acctually caputre some of her higher range, so thats contributes to her sounding less good than she is, i agree she truly is a great talent. In my defence... well there isnt one. i cant sing.
Rob, just a question - if you feel you can't sing, why are you gunna record an album?

Or is someone else singing on it?

x
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

No im gonna be singing on it. having someone else record my songs just isnt what i want at all. I do have a girl whos doing vocals with me, who can sing very nicely. However i just plan to fix my voice, get it into tune, sustain it better, i know ill never be great, but if i can stay in tune and have my own distinct style ill be happy. So yeah, its gonna take time, im gonna record a bunch of songs, on which i know i will sound terrible, but in a number of years ill hopfully be able to go back to them, do them again and sing proply. Im in no rush, i just want to create something i like, and well, itll take as long as it takes, ill do many songs and cds before i get to a stage where im happy with what ive created. Check back in 10 years maybe?