Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #31
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
gah why is he so tight-lipped about it?! you'd think he was building an atomic bomb or something..

tell us more about the swanky party you saw him at, valerie.. you did talk to him and he did say they were in the studio mastering the album, right?

isn't that the final stage of recording? anybody?
I think he's so tight-lipped about it because he's a crazy perfectionist. He'll tell you it's done after it's already released.

So for some of the details that I've been withholding - August 24th i think - I was at this exclusive Sia concert at an Automotive museum here in LA. You had to either be invited or win tickets from a radio station. It was a really small crowd - maybe 300 people at most. I'm certain almost no one recognized Damien in the audience.

I ran into Joel, and talked to him for a minute and didn't even notice Damien behind him until a minute or two later. He said hi, gave me a hug, asked how I was doing. Not sure if he actually remembered me or was just being nice. I could say the same thing about Joel he knows so many people, I'm sure he doesn't really remember me when I see him.

I talked to them both a little after the Sia show - that's when I found out they were mastering the album. Damien mentioned to my friend that they were working out of someone's house, but she couldn't remember what he said I'm sure it's someone with a studio in his or her house.

It was a bit awkward for all of us, I think - I never know what to say to Damien. I don't have that problem with Joel or even with Lisa, but I look at Damien and just draw a blank most of the time...

Oh, and yes, mastering is the last step in the recording process. From some place on the internet :

**Mastering**

This is the final stage before duplication process. Put simply, the goal is to take all of the mixes and treat them in such a way that the final album sounds like a cohesive and unified whole. Not a bunch of tunes stuck together on a tape. The product you leave with is a master tape/CD-R that you can take to a pressing facility and say 'make 1,000 copies of this.'

Steps taken at some point in the process include: cleaning up the beginnings and endings of the mixes (unless you really *want* those countoffs...), placing the tunes in order, adjusting the spacing between songs, and matching volumes for consistency from track to track. In 90%+ of cases, your material will also benefit from some degree of added EQ or compression. Editing out sections of song and/or splicing together different takes of a mix are also options. The important thing here is to look at the big picture--the album as a whole. Choose a song order before the session. If there are several different mixes for a given song, know which ones should and should not be used. And, although most duplicators can handle a variety of formats, it's not a bad idea to check with the one you plan on using to see what they would prefer. Request that format from your mastering engineer.

Last edited by GlttrGrrl; 09-11-2006 at 05:17 PM.
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:46 AM   #32
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

yay! this is very good news!! i think this is the most concrete information we've had so far..

thanks valerie! now if he's got it mastered already then the next step is pressing? i wonder how long that takes? surely not 5 months (till february) unless there's marketing stuff to be done or something..

i'm excited now
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:50 AM   #33
brookefield
slightly colder water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl

It was a bit awkward for all of us, I think - I never know what to say to Damien. I don't have that problem with Joel or even with Lisa, but I look at Damien and just draw a blank most of the time...
yes, i know precisely what you mean...damien's got this look, this glance, that can completely evaporate your voice...tangle up your thoughts...trip up your tongue...ahh (i'm sighing all over the place, dreamy and starry-eyed as hell)...its like meeting jimmy page and him handing you a guitar and asking you to play your best song...you feel like a fool...an utterly happy fool...
Old 09-12-2006, 05:51 AM   #34
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
yay! this is very good news!! i think this is the most concrete information we've had so far..

thanks valerie! now if he's got it mastered already then the next step is pressing? i wonder how long that takes? surely not 5 months (till february) unless there's marketing stuff to be done or something..

i'm excited now
Yes, pressing comes after mastering, but I imagine there's tons of stuff to be done - setting a release date and working backwards from there to the first single, the pre-release promotion, the pre or post release tour scheduling, the artwork for the album, promotional photos need to be shot...all kinds of stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if it's not realeased til at least January. But who knows, maybe he'll surprise us and get it out by Christmas...it might get buried there, though.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:29 PM   #35
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
gah why is he so tight-lipped about it?! you'd think he was building an atomic bomb or something..

tell us more about the swanky party you saw him at, valerie.. you did talk to him and he did say they were in the studio mastering the album, right?

isn't that the final stage of recording? anybody?
As i was reading this post i had the cursor over the s of swanky and wondered if i'd missed something about damien.

Just thought i'd share

also

Quote:
Originally Posted by genzoman
i think he will have the requisite few acoustic songs. mainly uptempo angrier rock type songs like insane.
is there a different versions of insane going around cause the one i have really isn't up tempo. That sounds rude but it's a genuine question.
Should I wipe up the stain?
And if I'm low
Can I drown in this rain?
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane

Last edited by Mr Benn.; 09-15-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Mr Benn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:17 AM   #36
VolcanoesMeltUDown
Eskimo Friend

He is so experimental that it is hard for him to not be different. Does Damo live in the US or Ireland?
VolcanoesMeltUDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:50 AM   #37
WhatAmIDarling?
Eskimo Regular

Ireland last time I checked.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:17 AM   #38
Adelaide
Eskimo Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
Well, according to Glen from the Frames it is finished and sounds "amazing". Of course he might just be being nice, but hey at least we know its more or less done!
glen and damien love each other too much lol.

I am too excited I havent had the time to think about what it's going to be like. I am just extremely excited that this is even happening for real. haha.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote