Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:39 AM   #61
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Carvin and Shyatt,

I'd really prefer it if you'd please just halt all the stereotypical comments. It smacks of racism and I find it extremely ignorant and offensive.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:46 AM
ancyuber
This message has been deleted by ancyuber.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #62
ancyuber
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
Carvin and Shyatt,

I'd really prefer it if you'd please just halt all the stereotypical comments. It smacks of racism and I find it extremely ignorant and offensive.
Quote:
For that shirt it's more like:

HIP, HIP, HIPP-Y!
mmkay.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #63
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Carvin and Shyatt,

i have to disagree, it does not seem one bit racist, after all race was never mentioned. but it is quite annoying.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:41 PM   #64
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

Quote:
Carvin and Shyatt,

NO.

there is no racism or sterotyping in that at all. people talk like that. i made fun of it. if you don't like it then keep it to yourself, cause nothing offensive was said. and if it is "smacks of racism" then come here and tell all the white kids who actually talk like that to quit being racist. it is only sterotyping when people like you say it is. you crying about it is the only thing ignorant, because it is racist of you to think that black people are the only ones talking that way when in fact... no matter where you go and what race you are around people talk like that.

Last edited by carvinC980t_kid; 08-28-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #65
alumni
Eskimo Regular

/
carvin
Old 08-28-2006, 07:17 PM   #66
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

there, now spamlet has something to actually b*tch at.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:44 PM   #67
Timeé
Intello

that could get him/her banned???

damn walking-on-eggshells era
A couple of bucks from you?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:13 PM   #68
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

damn, since when did the KKK start throwing keg parties?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:15 PM   #69
johnnybgoode3218
Eskimo Baby

wow, what happened to this thread again? new album turned into racism.... or not racism, im so confused.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:18 PM   #70
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
damn, since when did the KKK start throwing keg parties?
...and what's the deal with the plastic shoe covers on their feet? afraid to make marks on the parquet floor during a lynching??
Old 08-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #71
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
...and what's the deal with the plastic shoe covers on their feet? afraid to make marks on the parquet floor during a lynching??
Old 08-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #72
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgoode3218
wow, what happened to this thread again? new album turned into racism.... or not racism, im so confused.
not racism. no racial slurs or anything... well until someone posted a picture of someone pretending to be in the KKK.. maybe a holloween partY?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #73
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

!!Topic Guys!!

Do you think there will be any duets or special guests on it??

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...
Old 08-28-2006, 10:12 PM   #74
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

hopefully no real special guest vocal wise atleast. just him and lisa would be swell... if tori amos was on there.. i'd kill myself.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:14 PM   #75
Timeé
Intello

i'd rather stay alive to listen to the damn thing
Old 08-28-2006, 10:16 PM   #76
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

haha!! I'd like to see maybe David Geraghty on it, or some other woman on it! Aswel as Lisa of course and Vyv. Maybe Vyv doing some sinign on it, that would be cool!!

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...
Old 08-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #77
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

haha yes, i wouldn't actually kill myself : )

Vyv singing would be great!!
Old 08-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #78
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Quote:
Carvin and Shyatt,

I'm here to cause no harm, but I do wish that you'd realize that there really was no mention of anything racial until you just put it in here. If you read that type of language and immediately associate it with stereotypes and racism when nobody else has spoken of it, then it is you who has the problem of stereotypes. You jumped to a conclusion that it had something to do with racism just by seeing what we were doing, that was your mind, not ours. Now, I will agree that it is perhaps ignorant, but that was sort of the point, I was having some fun with the ignorance. There certainly was nothing offensive that it entailed at all. I'm not attacking you here or trying to be an ass, I just think it is important to say that the racial association was never there at all until you put it there. I am, however, glad to see that kind of thing upset you. I'm sure you're a good person, Spamlet.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:30 PM   #79
alumni
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumni

/
carvin
joke, obviously.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:26 AM   #80
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumni

/
carvin
hey, it must be ted kennedy dressed up as robert byrd!

this picture gives me the creeps. if it is someone dressed up for halloween or something then that is really stupid of them, thats just not right the KKK was/ still is a serious problem.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:48 AM   #81
Sniffer
Eskimo Regular

Hey Spamlet, is that a photo of you on your avatar?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:55 AM   #82
Bumpman

Looking for someone to punch in the face are you? Well this is a picture of me, so if you see me you can punch me.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:55 AM   #83
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Leaves Left
hey, it must be ted kennedy dressed up as robert byrd!

this picture gives me the creeps. if it is someone dressed up for halloween or something then that is really stupid of them, thats just not right the KKK was/ still is a serious problem.
there is a rather large KKK group in indiana in a town about an hour away. some crazy sh*t happens there some times. it is really just a bounch of racist skin heads
Old 08-29-2006, 02:09 AM   #84
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

Am I the only one who doesnt like Vyv singing unless its made to be half joking while she plays the cello and does seven nation army? i like that. but the other stuff i've heard, i definitely not want her on the new album unless its only playing cello or any other instrument she has been given unbelieveable talent in. (or talent she taught herself)

MySpace
Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 AM   #85
Timeé
Intello

i sort of agree. i agree that shes not a natural singer and shouldnt be featured on the album as any form of solo singing.

although, an excellent celloist.
and pretty pretty
Old 08-29-2006, 04:22 AM   #86
Bluestars
Eskimo Baby

Damien Can take all the time in the world on this album becaus I know when it comes out it will be brilliant.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:12 AM   #87
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Well Joel Shearer will almost definitely be on the new album.

I saw Damien while we were both at a super-special exclusive Sia show, so maybe she'll show up on the album as well...
Old 08-29-2006, 06:03 AM   #88
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

I think we should put an on here and just start this in a new thread from the begining.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:58 AM   #89
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
NO.

there is no racism or sterotyping in that at all. people talk like that. i made fun of it. if you don't like it then keep it to yourself, cause nothing offensive was said.
YES. I stand by what I said. That what you guys wrote smacks of racism. That, by definition, means it suggests without being blatently stated (like, oh I dunno, wearing a KKK outfit). The vast majority of racist behavior takes the more covert form but is no less damaging. You two alternately stated that people who communicated in the manner of the examples you gave were "stupid". You claimed one had to "turn their brain off" in order to speak that way. Now please explain to me why exactly you make fun of people who talk like that? Is it only when they aren't black? If so, then you admit that there is a racial element to your mockery. If not, then are you saying the speech itself (and, therefore, the black people who created it and perpetuated its spread) is "stupid"? Which is it? Either way you look at it, racism is present here.

Quote:
and if it is "smacks of racism" then come here and tell all the white kids who actually talk like that to quit being racist. it is only sterotyping when people like you say it is. you crying about it is the only thing ignorant, because it is racist of you to think that black people are the only ones talking that way when in fact... no matter where you go and what race you are around people talk like that.
Where am I crying? I asked you politely and calmly not to discriminate and gave my reasons. The fact that white teenagers have appropriated or co-opted such slang does nothing to diminish the fact that the words and phrases cited were ebonic in their origin. I'm well aware such slang is widespread now but I'm not the one who had a problem with that fact. You are. No distinction was ever made that it is the borrowing of that language, which you now claim, you were objecting to.

But, no. I don't think there's anything inherently racist in "all the white kids" (there goes your stereotyping again) who use such slang to honestly express themselves. If it is used as mockery of the way others talk because you feel superior to them then that's an entirely different story. That's what you admit to doing. That's what I find offensive and ignorant.

Ancyuber,
Not comparable. Damo himself has proudly referred to himself and that shirt as "hippy" as have numerous others here. At this point, it's akin to shorthand to say "the patchwork" shirt or "the hippy shirt". It was merely a clever play on words and, in any case, was in no way used negatively since it was part of a proposed cheer of approval and encouragement.

Shyatt, Thank you. Yes, actually: at my graduation yesterday I was called exceptionally "kind, gentle and open-hearted". Read the above comments to the "lady doth" carvin for my answer to your counterclaims. I appreciate your mature and diplomatic attitude greatly and look forward to future equally respectful discussions.

Sniffer,
Yes.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:19 AM   #90
alumni
Eskimo Regular

Any black person reading that Kilometer long post patronisingly black people would give up and go outside, not being offended by anything the others said said.

People have do speak like that, not racist, not anything else, the nature of the world,and more than anything, a forum. get over it.

Last edited by alumni; 08-29-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Closed Thread