Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 01-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #61
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
ah im sure i will, either that or i can guitar tech for my friends band.. i used to be quite the Staind fan in my day
i meant one for me as well

i have to be up again in about 4 hours to catch the first train going to innsbruck. my mum's in hospital there and i want to visit her. even if it's just for a few hours. i'll be spending most of the day on the train (i guess somewhere between 10 and 12 hours return or so)... but the good thing is i'll have loads of time to study for my exams. or to sleep. or to look at the landscape. or listen to some music and so on and so forth.

i had a session with my "producer" today and we went through a couple of songs we hadn't done before. it went quite well, actually. no, it was loads of fun. hehe. we're gonna do some acoustic recordings in the beginning of february but i don't know if they'll be alright to put on myspace. we'll see...
Old 01-17-2009, 03:25 AM   #62
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

of course, actually i have a plus one if you can get to dublin in time!
anyone else if jo cant make it!

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:13 AM   #63
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

you're kidding me! and i'm stuck in the middle of my exams! why can't they be playing dublin in feb!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #64
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

A snack mix I invented consisting of 1/4 cup cocoa-roasted almonds and 1/4 cup of dried fruit (pineapple, cranberries, cherries, raisins). Mmmm. My other favorite snack right now is Triscuit Thin Crisps sprinkled with low-fat shredded cheese and microwaved for about 25 seconds.
I'm looking for more high-protein snack ideas. Anyone got any that are reasonably healthy and doesn't involve soy?

Last edited by bearbait; 01-17-2009 at 02:24 PM.
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #65
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Getting out of hospital, for the time being at least. That, and being paid not to work for the next few weeks.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #66
verenita
... trusty and true ...

it´s good to see you again, man
Old 01-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #67
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

^^Glad you are out & are ok. Enjoy your break from work, and take it easy.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #68
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Haha, Sexy Shower:

Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #69
Joyful
Eskimama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors View Post
Getting out of hospital, for the time being at least. That, and being paid not to work for the next few weeks.

Enjoy your break and get some rest.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #70
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Thanks guys.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #71
Canadian Island
Eskimo Regular

Warning! Long story, but worth to read...

On january 16th, 1945 the city of Magdeburg (I moved here 2 years ago) was bombed and destroyed.

To remind everyone of that local neo-nazis (and I suppose they also had support from other places) were planning to demonstrate "for the victims of the bombings". They were gathering at a train station in the northern part of Magdeburg and then wanted to walk to the city hall and hold speeches there. Their way would have let them through the town's center. Major publicity.

As a reaction the people of Magdeburg initiated the 'Mile of Democracy'. The main street (called 'Breiter Weg', which means 'Broad Way') was blocked by setting up four main stages (music, plays, readings, speeches there) and filling the space between them with tents where you could grab something to eat and drink and discuss the day's subject. Then there were others where children could play or paint and others where you could buy shirts and buttons. You get the picture.

So, on a cold day in january half the town was out to show that they won't let the neo-nazis take their town (or at least enjoy some free entertainment).

At about 3 pm word got around that the neo-nazis were moving towards the city hall. Most of the people on the Mile left their places, music and plays stopped and we went to the city hall to create a blockade. There were then on the one side the neo-nazis (official count: 600) and on the other side business men standing next to students standing next to the next door punk and between the two groups security and police.
After about an hour of holding the peaceful blockade the police decided to lead the neo-nazis back to the train station. They had to pick a route that didn't get them too close to the city's center. So... success, I'd say.

We got back to the Mile and continued what we did before. As for Nadine, Matthias, David and me that was playing a small set of five songs including Damo's '9 Crimes':

The 'Mile of Democracy' opened at 10 am and closed at 8 pm. 120 organizations, acts, artists, restaurants and so on contributed. It was a big sign against the neo-nazis who have grown kind of strong here during the last months. I got the feeling that something good started yesterday.

Well... I spent the evening with some friends at a local bar and returned home completely wasted at 4 am in the night. Call that a day?

Last edited by Canadian Island; 01-18-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Canadian Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #72
verenita
... trusty and true ...

that sound very interesting. i´m gald you had a great time
Old 01-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #73
Joyful
Eskimama

The fact that today is finally January 20, 2009 is making me dance around my house. Michelle in heels looks taller than W, and looks like she could kick his ass. GOBAMA!!!!
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #74
Rai
Eskimontologist

Watching the inauguration and hearing the words "science" and "nonbelievers" in the speech. And now, I'm off to the Calexico concert, it should be great! What a shiny day!!!

This video is I think the best summary of what happened today:

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"

Last edited by Rai; 01-20-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #75
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Obama.... I put so much trust in him it's absolutely terrifying!
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #76
verenita
... trusty and true ...

john, the guy who i teach spanish to, said to me my classes help him a lot and he likes me (as a teacher). it´s fascinating, since i was told he was so pretentious
i adore him, by the way.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #77
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

that's nice miss verena
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #78
Swedish Professor
Eskimo skiier

I just listened to O again for the first time in a long time. I discovered that I still absolutely love it! That felt good for me that Damien still does it for me.. In a strict non-gay way that is..
Old 01-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #79
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

I thought Obama gave an excellent inauguration speech today (well, the parts that I heard were excellent, anyway. We were having a picnic lunch in the living room while it was going on, and things got a bit out of hand . . .

I do wish I would have been able to have gone, but really, standing in the freezing cold in a huge crowd (I don't like huge crowds, probably partly because I am 4'10 so I'm at the average man's arm-pit level) did not sound too appealing to me, plus the fact that it would have been near to impossible to get into the city today. Apparently there were about 5,000 Port-A-Potties for 5 million people (on the radio they said to bring your own toilet paper). Anyway, I am glad that traffic and everything will be back to normal soon.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #80
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

heh, poor little bear.

this made me smile, just discovered the absolute genuis that is Bon Iver. Here he is walking around france singing with his friends.... amazing

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 AM   #81
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

completely missed the inauguration (i guess that belongs in the what got me down thread) but reading the former first daughters' letter to Sasha and Malia (Playing House in the White House ) made me smile. It is sweet and soo girly. Very cute and very unexpected (since i never thought i would like anything a Bush would write)

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...

Last edited by mariaoran; 01-21-2009 at 02:12 AM.
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:20 AM   #82
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Oh and i am 99.99999% sure i am getting this cute kity!!! yaaaay!!!!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #83
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

^oh goodness that's the cutest thing I've seen in a while! Hope you're able to get it!

^^ And Ships have you seen all six of those videos? They seriuosly stop my heart every time...
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #84
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i played snooker for the first time in months/years tonight. i used to play it daily and i miss the discipline and concentration it has.
Also im not as rusty as i thought i would be.. perhaps this will be my new distraction (unfortunately they serve drink too)

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #85
Timeé
Intello

What's your highest break?
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #86
Rai
Eskimontologist

I fixed my computer!!!! And, I created 31 Gbytes of free space during the process in a way that is not entirely clear to me...

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 AM   #87
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

^ That's fantastic! If you figure it out, you have to share your secret. I'm in serious need of some extra room

I just finished packing - I'm off to NYC for a week! I've got tickets to The Daily Show for Tuesday (look out for me in the audience!), and plans to catch The Guggenheim Grotto on Wednesday and the rest is all up in the air. Should be fun though! Eskimos, I'll see you in a week!
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:07 AM   #88
Timeé
Intello

Writing a letter
A couple of bucks from you?

Last edited by Timeé; 01-26-2009 at 03:07 AM. Reason: I wanted to change the colour
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #89
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^

my smile: mmm... let me think... I KNOW... DAMIEN´S HUG! (besides the gig and lovely day with very nice people).
Old 01-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #90
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

tell me about it. I was smiling all the way back to my house last night. I'm still doing it!!