Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 04-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

Default Dan Mangan

Okay, so i thought i made a post about this a long time ago but i guess it was just in a monthly "what are you listening to" thread that i first mentioned him here.... So here's a little thread dedicated to Dan Mangan.

http://www.danmanganmusic.com/

And yes, he is on Twitter now too! lol. http://twitter.com/danmanganmusic

Dan Mangan is a local guy for me from my home town Vancouver, BC, Canada!!! He plays a lot of shows here right now but i'm still waiting to see my first one because every show he's had doesn't work out with my schedule! I haven't checked in with him for a while and I haven't looked at his site recently but so much has changed and there's so much new stuff from him! Including a new EP!!! You can listen to a lot of his music including a couple new ones!!!

http://radio3.cbc.ca/bands/Dan-Mangan/

Quote:
In August of 2009, Dan Mangan will release his sophomore album, Nice, Nice, Very Nice. And it’s about time. After three and a half years of touring his sleeper-hit, Postcards and Daydreaming, Dan is ready and eager to unveil a collection of lyrical ruminations that showcase his growth as a songwriter.

Titled in reference to a Kurt Vonnegut poem, Nice, Nice, Very Nice was recorded in Toronto in fall 2008 under the creative eye of producer John Critchley (Elliott Brood, 13 Engines, Holy ****, Hidden Cameras). Dropping in to add their talents were such hero Canadian artists as Justin Rutledge, Veda Hille, Mark Berube and members of Elliott Brood, Said The Whale, Mother Mother, Major Maker and Small Sins.

There is a raw rootsiness to Nice, Nice, Very Nice that touches on aspects of indie-pop. There are a number of toe-tappers amid his trademark lamentations and, though it’s mellow at times, what Mangan has to offer isn’t overly precious or delicate. He simply writes songs that evoke the wonder and the absurdity in what we do.

At 25 years of age, Mangan has already toured Canada, the UK, USA and Australia numerous times. He’s played coffee shops to six people and festival stages to a thousand. He has showcased at Canadian Music Week, South-By-South-West, North-By-North-East, The Great Escape (UK), MusExpo (LA), Big Sound (AUS), Western Canadian Music Awards, Transmission and COCA. Whether alone or with his Vancouver-based band, Dan continues to work all the time.

Dan’s debut album has kept him on the move with opportunities.. Record deals in Canada (FUM) and Australia (ABC/Warner) were accompanied by invitations to showcase at festivals around the world. Britain’s NME magazine featured him as one of Canada’s most promising acts. Back home, he was featured on the CBC3 Podcast: The Future of Music “Artists we think will be great in 2008” and has since found regular rotation across the CBC. Gaining respect amid his peers, he has shared stages with Patrick Watson, The Acorn, Elliott Brood, Said The Whale, Hey Rosetta!, Mother Mother, and has collaborated with spoken word artists such as Ivan Coyote and the internationally renowned Shane Koyczan.

Mangan weaves unique lyrical phrases that you feel you must always have known, He delivers them with his signature graveled vocals and understated humour. He doesn’t lean on ironic instruments or gimmicks. Somehow, it all just works. Dan stands up and people get quiet. They listen. More and more people all the time.
Here's a NEW one from his new album that has been selected as a "Track of the day" by CBC radio 3.... The Indie Queens Are Waiting
Source: http://radio3.cbc.ca/blogs/2009/04/N...ns-Are-Waiting

I just ordered his new EP! And apparently you can request it signed!!!! I did and we'll see if it comes signed or not! Also, he does it all himself apparently... He's got a one man buisness going according to his automatic e-mail i got from him after ordering it online... "I'm a one-man team in terms of the store. I'm currently in the midst of travels and therefor am a little slowed down on the sending. Thanks for your patience - everything will be sent out as soon as possible!"

Anyways, here's the track listing for the new EP!

Roboteering EP (2009)
1. Robots
2. The Indie Queens Are Waiting
3. Sold
4. Till I Fall
5. Tragic Turn Of Events / Move Pen Move (with Shane Koyczan)

Quote:
The songs on Roboteering EP reveal familiar voices. Amid “The Indie Queens Are Waiting”, “Sold” and “Robots” (all from LP Nice, Nice, Very Nice) are the vocal and instrumental lendings of Veda Hille, Mark Berube and Mark Sasso (of Elliott Brood). “Till I Fall” is a revamped resurrection of a recording from one of Mangan’s earliest demos (All At Once, 2003). Closing out the EP is “Tragic Turn Of Events / Move Pen Move”, a nearly-nine-minute collaboration of Dan’s music and the spoken word of Shane Koyczan. Originally released on Koyczan’s album, A Pretty Decent Cape In My Closet, the piece features Shane’s poetry in the fine form the world has come to know him by.
His full length album entitled "Nice, Nice, Very Nice" will be released this Summer 2009!!!

Now here's a few youtube video's/songs from Dan Mangan...

The two songs that started it all here...

Basket (Live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t77tzkmQ-Mc

Journal Of A Narcoleptic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecCLndsse9g

Robots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obBjLIR_Aug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STELTZaRmuE

So Much For Everyone (Live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhAFROz5np4

Okay this was a lot more then i ever intended to put in the post but I totally love this guy... He's one of my true local heros

Cheers
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Devushka
Folkie Eskimo

wow.. I loved him!! <3 thanks for sharing!!
Devushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

I just got the new EP in the mail today!!! And he actually signed it!! haha I love Dan Mangan even more now!! And the 3 other songs i haven't heard are awesome!! I can't wait for Nice, Nice, Very Nice to come out!

Here's some pics of the EP he mailed me... it's all his writing, the packaging even was hand written address and stuff.. Dan does it all himself, he mailes it, signs it if u request... I love him.. haha

<3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dan mangan 009.JPG (59.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg dan mangan 011.JPG (57.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg dan mangan 010.JPG (61.2 KB, 36 views)

Old 05-07-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

Default Move Pen Move....

Okay you have to read this.. It's one of the most amazing poems and Dan Mangan incorporates it into one of his songs on his new EP "Tragic Turn Of Evens / Move Pen Move". I never knew of this amazing poem until now but it's blown me away and the song on the EP just blows me away... It's just Brilliant... It really leaves me speechless...

Here's the Youtube video of it and the words are bellow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nPbVM8kgR4

Move Pen Move

By Shane Koyczan

Stay
That’s what mothers say when their sons and daughters go away
They say stay
My mother said go
So I wasn’t there the night she fell out of her wheel chair
So frustrated that she amputated her legs rather tried to with a steak knife
Her life lay on the white floor like
Roses in the snow
Our relationship was an anthem composed of words like “gotta go”
So we went
And sent our regards on post cards from the places we’ve been
Stories about all the things we’ve seen
That’s how it was with you and I
Why say good bye when we could still write
And then I took your hands
We should have practiced our good-byes
Because then I took your eyes
And I was somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Watching the sun rise
Over a stop sign placed down the center line of a high way full of sudden turns for the worse
Running back home cause I gotta play nurse
Gotta figure out which pill alleviates which pain
Which part of your brain is being used for a boxing bag
As your body became a never ending game of freeze tag
Taking place in an empty playground
That was left looking for your limbs in the post and found and I couldn’t set you free
So we just sat there
Our heads bent towards each other like flowers in the small hours of the morning
While light wondering in like a warning that
Time is passing
And you right along with it
Bit by bit everyday
And all I can say is if I could I would write you some way out of this
But my gift is useless
And you said no
Write me a poem to make me happy
So I wrote move pen move
Write me a bedroom where curse make love to our cancers
But my mother just motions to a bottle full of answers and says
Help me go
And I know something of how pianos feel when it looks at the fireplace to see sheet music
Being used for kindling
Smoke signaling the end of some song that it thought would take to long to learn
Now I just sit here and watch you burn away
All those notes never had a chance to play to hear the music of what you had to say
But I count out the pills just to see if I can do it
I can’t even get half way through it before I turn back into your son and say
Stay
I could hook up my heart to your ears and let my tears be your morphine drip
Because maybe it’s easier to let you slip away than it is to say goodbye
So I hold my breath
Because in the count down to death the question of why melts into when
How much time do we have left
Because if I knew what I know now then
I would say move pen move
Write me a mountain
Because head stones are not big enough
And my mother says
Stop it
Write me a poem to make me happy
So I write this
Stay
She smiles and says
Gotta go
I know
Goo-bye…

Unfortunetly I can't find the song online anywhere for u to listen to or the Lyrics that go with the poem.. It's just fabulous... Get the EP... It's amazing...

now it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2UmkpAia6Q

Last edited by dboyd; 05-12-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:06 AM   #5
Mark Hogan
Eskimo Regular

Learned of him from YCD. Pretty talented guy.
Mark Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

I saw him again on Friday night for NXNE and thought I'd resurrect this thread

His set was UNBELIEVABLY GOOD. I took three friends with me and they're all official converts now.

There's something at once heartbreaking and hopeful about his voice. It's rough but tender, and passionate but tempered. And I know that description doesn't make too much sense but it's the only way I can think to describe how layered it is. He's got a gritty voice, but his lyrics are poetic and delicate and laced with more experience and wisdom than you'd expect from a twenty-something. And he does the same thing Damien does where his voice crescendos until it just sort of... breaks (think: the end of Cheers Darlin, or Prague).

He ended the set with one of the best set-enders I've seen. Him and his band came right into the audience. His trumpeter moved behind our table. And then he got onto an empty chair RIGHT in front of our table. He gave us an extended rendition of Robots, with the audience providing background (and sometimes lead) vocals and being his rhythm section with hands, feet, tables, glasses, whatever you could tap out a beat with. It ended as this great sing a long. And he was shocked mostly everyone knew the words to this song that hasn't even been released on an album yet (it was on an EP earlier this year though).

Anyways, I grabbed some videos for some friends who couldn't make it and I thought I'd share

The Indie Queens Are Waiting (new song)

So Much For Everyone

He's got a new album coming out August 11 (I think? somewhere around there).
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

^ yeah he does! His new album will be called Nice, Nice, Very Nice

And thanks for the vids!! <3

Robots is one of my favorite songs from him just because it's so fun to sing along too haha... I can't wait to see what the future has in store for him...

Last edited by dboyd; 06-24-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
cille
creepycute

Listening to his album streaming here: http://www.danmanganmusic.com/site/c...er_pop_up.html

Good stuff!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:04 AM   #9
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

wooooot! I tried to see him at a small venue at the Cultch here in Vancouver, we were second in line waiting for tickets but we didn't get any!

So i have him on sms updates via twitter and he said he was doing a free show at the Mall downtown at the bay! So I told my friend and we went to go see him and god was it awesome! Free show!!! He played for about an hour and he said he had a cold but it's hardly noticeable... I don't notice it... lol

He was playing as part of an all day event for the Grand opening of the Olympic Super Store. First to play was the Cowboy Junkies which we missed, then Dan Mangan and then Sam Roberts!! It was awesome seeing them both and Sam Roberts was also awesome.

Anyways, he played for about an hour or so and was awesome... We were like 4th row in a crowd that formed for the free show. everyone infront of me was sitting down so it was like front row for me haha. It was awesome awesome awesome! When he played Robots he came into the audiance with his guitar over his head and belted out the lyrics and encouraging the crowd to sing a long and boy did it work. Everyone started singing so loud and it was great! (god i suck at telling stories)... here's a few pics... I'm in one with him! Yay! I don't usually do these kind of things but i decided I'd make an acception and go talk to him for a bit . Really nice guy

http://img199.imageshack.us/gal.php?...4276508894.jpg <---album

And the hat was a funny one lol. He said "I wish they'd give me a free hat!" Or something like that and a lady up front offered to buy him one and then someone threw one on stage and he got a free hat! haha. it was great.

(I got more pics on my phone i'm gonna try and upload off of later.)

Here's a couple videos someone put up of it on youtube! good sound too!

Road Regrets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnE4Z0-Twuc

Sold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLXYG2mhVvo

lolll the clapping was horrible. It was a new band that Dan assembled and it was their first live show after a few rehersals and I don't think they got the clapping down... The clap was way off and the auidiance didn't even come close to getting it haha... I can't do it so I was no better but it was just a random mash of claps. lol.

that's all i could find for videos

it was awesomeee thoooo

Last edited by dboyd; 10-04-2009 at 05:08 AM.