Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #241
citlali
Eskimo Friend

I am sure that if this reach Damien's ears, he might be willing to do something to try to resolve it, or at least he will try it. There must be a way to resolve this.

I do not think that he likes the idea of scalpers buying the best seats illegally or legally, to resale them at crazy prices and impeding true fans to get the seats that they want at a fair price and using the regular methods and websites to get the tickets for their concerts.

Yes, not all laws are morally right and I think this is an example of it, I think one needs to have a little bit of consciousness to recognize that the scalpers's business is not morally right, they are not really producing anything, they are just making money easily using the desires of fans of seeing their favourites artist and this is just not fair and right, disregarding if is legal or not.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #242
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

The Orpheum Theater in Boston has a capacity of 2700 and there's 660 tickets available on StubHub (but the show is "sold out" on Ticketmaster). Selfishly, this is a bummer for me because even with the DR presale code I was only able to get very mediocre tickets. I have no idea what the solution to this might be...a trivia question to buy really good seats ?
DesoleInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #243
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
Not all venues have deals with ticketmaster and not all venues are owned by big promoters... It's just a matter of doing things the easy way or the difficult way... Of course it's more difficult to find little promoters and then book deal-free venues and all, so a booking agency tends to go through big promoters and accepts to sell tickets through their channels. Plus, the bigger the venue, the more money you make... So I understand why they book big venus via big promoters that sell tix thourgh ticketmaster and the likes.
BUT I think it's just unfair to say that the management / booking agency can't do anything to stop the scalper thing. I think they just don't try enough...
Also keep in mind the bigger the venue, the more likely they are to have ties to ticketmaster or AXS or another big ticketing company. Damien needs to play in bigger venues to supply the demand. One of the reasons bigger artists stick with the likes of ticketmaster is that the system can handle that kind of traffic. If you went with a venue who had their own ticketing system, bigger artists' fans would crash the site in seconds, and then we'd be bitching about not being able to get tickets anyways.

There's also crazy amounts of politics. "I know you want to play this one particular venue and you can only play it if you also play in our other venue in this city along your tour stop." That kind of stuff.

There's no way Damien's management would put the resources into creating this online store ticketing system that could manage the traffic of ten 3k-7k venue onsales all at once if Damien only tours sporadically. When you're getting into venues that big, you need an established ticketing company who also has the resources for customer service. Damien's mgmt isn't gonna hire people to field customer service requests over the phone from buyers, you know? There are just so many parts of the puzzle.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #244
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuylerjoy View Post
I'm not neutral because I invest time and effort to get great seats and I still fail because others purchase tickets to events for the sole purpose of resale. Ticket scalping may be legal (at least, if the tickets are transferable), but that doesn't mean it is ethical. To quote a friend, "It's basically using someone else's talent, without their permission, for your own profit."

If an artist wanted to charge $200, $500, $700 for a ticket for someone to witness their art, then they would do so. And then I could choose whether or not to pay. They should profit from the sale of their goods, not "brokers."

I'm assuming that most people on this board are hard core Damien fans. And...as far as I can tell, many of them got crappy seats even though they tried very hard to get good ones and it means a lot to them. So, I am disgusted by the "bots" or people who make a living out of preventing actual, passionate fans from seeing the artists they love in the seats they deserve to have.

I guess you could argue that those willing to dish out the big bucks are the ones who *really* love the artists, but nope, that's not the case. Some of us don't have the bucks to dish.

No worries, you don't need to explain your case. I fully understand the perspective of those who are "neutral" on scalping. But, I am still disgusted by it, just like a lot of other legal practices.
This is all just some sort of bizarro world nonsense. "Tickets" are a license to enter a property for a specific period of time. It is property and it is transferable. There is nothing unethical about that.

Whether or not you "really love" the artist has no value in determining whether you are entitled to see that artist perform. It's a very simple, fair process: You go to a designated place at a designated time and the first person there gets to buy tickets. If they sell out before you get to the front of the line, you don't get tickets. There is nothing more fair and ethical than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
I think it would be neutral if a scalper got online and tried to buy tickets like all of us do - F5 F5 F5 until you finally get a ticket, buy it, pay it, and then buy more of them in the same way.

The main problem is that most of the scalpers have dozens, hundreds of tickets. How is it possible for a show that solds out in seconds (ie. the Whelans one) or in minutes (like the latest European shows)?
It's not possible.
They have another method of buying tickets, that's for sure. Some illegal method - either they have deals with employees at ticketmaster or whatever.
It really very rarely works that way, and definitely not for Damien.

If you could show me a link of that, I'd be able to specifically explain. But more likely than not, what you are seeing, is a ticket network. "Joe's Tickets" in NYC is part of a nationwide group of ticket brokers who all use the same software that creates a real-time inventory network.

Joe's Tickets has four tickets he wants to sell for $100. If you call Joe's Tickets, he will sell those four seats to you. Pete's Tickets is also in the network, and also has four seats to that show, and also wants to sell his tickets for $100. Both Pete and Joe enter their tickets into the network inventory.

What happens next is that Joe's inventory now shows 8 tickets. His four that he wants to sell for $100, and Pete's four which Joe will sell for, say, $150. And vice versa for Pete. Also, Kevin's Tickets didn't buy any inventory for this event, but he sees both Joe's and Pete's tickets in his network inventory, and he'll sell those tickets all for $150, too.

If you buy all eight tickets from Joe's, he then pulls his four from the ticket network system because they are no longer available, then he calls Pete's and tells Pete's he just sold their four tickets. Pete's ships their tickets to Joe's, and Joe's sends Pete's $400 (4 x $100, while keeping the $50 markup as his profit). And, again, vice versa.

Now, extrapolate this out over all the brokers in the region/country. If 50 brokers bought 4 tickets each that's 200 seats on the network, there are hundreds and hundreds of brokers in the ticket network. And each of those are all showing 200 tickets in their inventory.

Also, the easiest way to get tickets is to go to the Box Office at the onsale date. No one does that anymore. I've never gone to a box office and not gotten tickets. For big events, brokers just send four people to the box office. There's like two or three employees of the brokers company, so right there they can pick up like 10 or 20 tickets by being the first in line. If you pick a venue and go to their onsale dates, you will see the same 5-10 people there for almost every single show.

For crazy big gigs like Bruce Springsteen or something, brokers will hire people to get there the night before and wait in line. That's why venues started doing lotteries in person for sales that big, so people would stop lining up the night before. So brokers started hiring more people to show up that morning and get a shot in the lottery to stack their odds of getting tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citlali View Post
I am sure that if this reach Damien's ears, he might be willing to do something to try to resolve it, or at least he will try it. There must be a way to resolve this.
LOL.

Damien sold out an April show in November because of resellers. He has his money six months in advance and has now transferred all the risk onto the resellers to find buyers. All artists LOVE ticket resellers.

That's why sports teams/leagues have all created their own resale networks. They actively market this fact in their season-ticket promotional materials. They want you to buy a 41 ticket plan to the NBA and then take on the risk yourself to find buys for the 35 seats you don't want at a profit, because they get the money and no risk left.

Last edited by mario_d; 11-26-2014 at 07:56 PM.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #245
melodie
mmm bop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
Also, the easiest way to get tickets is to go to the Box Office at the onsale date. No one does that anymore. I've never gone to a box office and not gotten tickets.
i don't remember who it was, but someone was first in line at the apollo and didn't get a single ticket. the venue told her the tickets disappeared in front of them as they were processing her information.
melodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:38 AM   #246
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Someone lied or was incompetent.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:37 AM   #247
citlali
Eskimo Friend

Quote:

Damien sold out an April show in November because of resellers. He has his money six months in advance and has now transferred all the risk onto the resellers to find buyers. All artists LOVE ticket resellers.
Are you a true Damien's fan? You sound more like someone who are into the scalpers business. Had you ever seen/heard/read Damien's interviews? He is not into the money, he does not sing to become richer, he does what he does for love to the art of music. On the other hand he has done and continue doing inner work to try to overcome his fears, I do not even think that the fear of not selling the tickets for his concert has ever been in his list of fears. That's not him. I do not think that he love ticket resellers, he is not like others artists or the majority of them, he is a true artist and an honest person.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #248
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
Also keep in mind the bigger the venue, the more likely they are to have ties to ticketmaster or AXS or another big ticketing company. Damien needs to play in bigger venues to supply the demand. One of the reasons bigger artists stick with the likes of ticketmaster is that the system can handle that kind of traffic. If you went with a venue who had their own ticketing system, bigger artists' fans would crash the site in seconds, and then we'd be bitching about not being able to get tickets anyways.
that´s for instance what happened with the Whelans show early this year, nice that Whelans has their own website for selling tix, no ticketmaster etc but then the site crashed already 30 minutes even before the sale started
Old 11-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #249
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Are you a true Damien's fan?
Are you twelve years old?

Quote:
He is not into the money, he does not sing to become richer, he does what he does for love to the art of music.
Yes, you are twelve years old apparently.

Quote:
he is not like others artists or the majority of them, he is a true artist and an honest person.
Have YOU ever read anything about him? Even he acknowledges being a huge asshole and horrible person to work with.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #250
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
scalpers's business is not morally right, they are not really producing anything, they are just making money easily using the desires of fans of seeing their favourites artist and this is just not fair and right, disregarding if is legal or not.

^
Scalpers arent "producing" anything??? lol, I most people earn a living without producing anything...The U.S doesent produce, they "Consume"

if i had tix for a concert i wasnt going to, i would sell them to the highest bidder on ebay without feeling guilty

scalping is just another way to make a living, and its fair IMO
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:47 AM   #251
schuylerjoy
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
You go to a designated place at a designated time and the first person there gets to buy tickets. If they sell out before you get to the front of the line, you don't get tickets. There is nothing more fair and ethical than that.
Actually...THAT is some sort of bizarro world nonsense. But, thanks for the giggle.

I am more than happy to agree to disagree on this topic and don't find it necessary to be rude or denigrating others while debating it. So, since others involved are unable to maintain that standard, perhaps we should just all move on...
schuylerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:20 AM   #252
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuylerjoy View Post
Actually...THAT is some sort of bizarro world nonsense. But, thanks for the giggle.
No, actually, it is a fact that tickets are sold on a first come first serve basis, not on an Excalibur-esque "Only he who is a true fan shall be able to claim a ticket!" basis..
Old 11-29-2014, 11:59 PM
citlali
This message has been deleted by citlali.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #253
citlali
Eskimo Friend

Quote:

Have YOU ever read anything about him? Even he acknowledges being a huge asshole and horrible person to work with.
The fact that he is able to acknowledged and recognized mistakes that he had done in the past just proves his honesty.

There is not point to continue this discussion, according to my understanding this forum is for discussions among Damien's fans and even a 12 years old child could easily recognized out of what people say, who is a true eskimo friend.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #254
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
who is a true eskimo friend.
"True Eskimo Friend" (lol) apparently means not letting the facts get in the way of hero worship?

This isn't a Justin Bieber community, it's supposed to be for adults who are capable of their own thoughtful analysis; not the blind cheerleading you are partaking in.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #255
mattministrator
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Yes, you are twelve years old apparently.
You see, I for one am a lot older than that and still wouldn't rule out the possibility that he is actually in it for the heart instead of the money. You insisting that Damien's decisions just have to be guided by financial interest because seems to be founded entirely in the assumption that that is how our world works, and that's that. I don't share your certainty, and neither of us have an insight in Damien's financial situation. You're basically saying he has to be broke by now, and that just has to be one of the major factors he has eventually resurfaced.
mattministrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #256
mattministrator
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantMan View Post
^
Scalpers arent "producing" anything??? lol, I most people earn a living without producing anything...The U.S doesent produce, they "Consume"

if i had tix for a concert i wasnt going to, i would sell them to the highest bidder on ebay without feeling guilty

scalping is just another way to make a living, and its fair IMO
Then you are embracing capitalism in all its glory, even if it includes creating artificial shortages to raise prices. The point, I guess, is that the people who actually create something (in this case art/music/an experience) would do well and maybe even better without middlemen like scalpers. They don't add any value but rather exploit market mechanics, and there are very good reasons to disapprove of that from various perspectives.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #257
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
"True Eskimo Friend" (lol) apparently means not letting the facts get in the way of hero worship?

This isn't a Justin Bieber community, it's supposed to be for adults who are capable of their own thoughtful analysis; not the blind cheerleading you are partaking in.
I'm on this page. Mario's just being a realist here. Doesn't mean that the scalping situation sucks any less. It just is what it is. Damien isn't going to personally do a damn thing about it. Also remember it's not just Damien getting paid with these ticket sales - the promoters and his agent get paid as well. A lot of people have a stake in these sellouts.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:22 AM   #258
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattministrator View Post
You insisting that Damien's decisions just have to be guided by financial interest because seems to be founded entirely in the assumption that that is how our world works, and that's that. I don't share your certainty, and neither of us have an insight in Damien's financial situation. You're basically saying he has to be broke by now, and that just has to be one of the major factors he has eventually resurfaced.
He isn't broke unless he squandered a lot of money. He could live comfortably on the O money for the rest of his life if he chose.

What I'm saying is that he has so blatantly and obviously compromised and agreed to do a bunch of press and interviews and crap that he doesn't want to do, because its worth the money to him. Again, as we discussed this summer, at any time he wants he could just record music and post it on his website for download. He chose, instead, to sign with Warner Records and sell that music in bundles along with t-shirts and tote bags and lithographs and promote it.

The only reason to compromise and do all these interviews and press appearances and stuff is $$$$$.

And there's nothing wrong with that and its not a criticism of him. I do a lot of stuff I don't enjoy so I can get paid. But the white knighthood on this website about how pure and unadulterated by the evil dollar Damien is... its just delusional.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #259
mattministrator
Eskimo Regular

That I do agree with. There is a bit of a contradiction between stating that he doesn't really care whether his record is successful or not and agreeing to do the amount of promotional work we have seen in the last few weeks. Fair point.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #260
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
He isn't broke unless he squandered a lot of money. He could live comfortably on the O money for the rest of his life if he chose.

What I'm saying is that he has so blatantly and obviously compromised and agreed to do a bunch of press and interviews and crap that he doesn't want to do, because its worth the money to him. Again, as we discussed this summer, at any time he wants he could just record music and post it on his website for download. He chose, instead, to sign with Warner Records and sell that music in bundles along with t-shirts and tote bags and lithographs and promote it.

The only reason to compromise and do all these interviews and press appearances and stuff is $$$$$.

And there's nothing wrong with that and its not a criticism of him. I do a lot of stuff I don't enjoy so I can get paid. But the white knighthood on this website about how pure and unadulterated by the evil dollar Damien is... its just delusional.
anyone who thinks Money means nothing to Damien is delusional...of course it does. I will say this...he has and has had enough material to record at least 3 records over the past 8 years....think how easy it would be for him to have his 5thh record by now and a large tour which would have made millions over past 8 years...he is playing very few dates from this record compared to demand ..so yes he likes money like the rest of us, but he is Very far from greedy

the reason why he is doing these interview moreso than from 9, cuz as we have learned, the 9 recording was an utter nightmare....thats why he couldnt do interviews, cuz they were basically lies!!! he was angry cuz he was attached to a "band" and being 'forced' to do things from the band , same reason he left juniper....Damien is a solo artist like a neil young or Bob dylan (not in their league, no offense) and wants NO attachments or compromises with his music from band members or record companies , and thats cool with me
Old 12-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #261
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
anyone who thinks Money means nothing to Damien is delusional...of course it does. I will say this...he has and has had enough material to record at least 3 records over the past 8 years....think how easy it would be for him to have his 5thh record by now and a large tour which would have made millions over past 8 years..
Most bands have lots of unused material, that isn't unusual. It's curating a catalog.

If it was a sign that he didn't want to make money on those songs, he would be releasing those tracks for free. Since he's not, its a sign that he's being selective about what music he records/releases.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:25 AM   #262
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Most bands have lots of unused material, that isn't unusual. It's curating a catalog.

If it was a sign that he didn't want to make money on those songs, he would be releasing those tracks for free. Since he's not, its a sign that he's being selective about what music he records/releases.
LMFAO, U act as if Radiohead are humanitarians for releasing the 'In rainbows' for free.....an album which eventually sold millions and I believe was their 2nd highest grossing record to date

They were the 1st to do it, and therefor got a lot of recognition/publicity for it and made millions off of it from sales later....it was VERY smart move on their part . On another note, radiohead has earned 20 times what damien has

Ur acting like an idiot cuz Damien didnt release his record for free , as if everyone else does

btw, I Love Radiohead, But I have no idea how someone could cause a stir cuz an artist is selling a record ......can u here yourself , fkn laughable??
Old 12-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #263
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

Elephant you seem to be drifting, bud...
Old 12-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #264
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
LMFAO, U act as if Radiohead are humanitarians for releasing the 'In rainbows' for free.....an album which eventually sold millions and I believe was their 2nd highest grossing record to date

They were the 1st to do it, and therefor got a lot of recognition/publicity for it and made millions off of it from sales later....it was VERY smart move on their part . On another note, radiohead has earned 20 times what damien has

Ur acting like an idiot cuz Damien didnt release his record for free , as if everyone else does

btw, I Love Radiohead, But I have no idea how someone could cause a stir cuz an artist is selling a record ......can u here yourself , fkn laughable??

I have no idea what you're talking about, but you clearly didn't understand basically any post I've ever made.