Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 12-31-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
maryb21
Colombian Eskimo

Default new year´s traditions

Hello guys, i was just wondering do you have any tradition for new years eve?
for example here in Colombia when the clock marks 12 o` clock, after we say happy new year to our family and friends we grab a travelers bag or a suitcase and we go around the block, we do that if we wanna travel in the new year.
If we want good luck we wear yellow underware, it can be light you know hehehe, plus nobody will see them.
And we also eat twelve grapes for wishes, one for each month of the coming year...
As for me, i only eat the grapes but tonight i am planning on going around the block because i´ll definitly travel on 2006!!!!

Take Care my Eskimos, i am so thankful i found you guys!!!
Happy New Year again!!!
Muah!

Old 12-31-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

i think the most widespread tradition of all is to get really really drunk. i'm a girl of traditions
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

i think in ireland, most poeple just get drunk and kiss someone at midnight and sing auld lang syne and then drink some more.
i like the grape idea! might try that!
Old 12-31-2005, 07:40 PM   #4
rosey
Eskimo Regular

http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow12.htm

and a guid New Year to you all
rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
buddy
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryb21
If we want good luck we wear yellow underware
I wore my only pair of yellow boxers last night..

buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
cindy8219
Eskimo Regular

If you dont have yellow than wear some red underwear.

I really do not have any traditions but my grandma likes to throw a bucket of water out the front door to get rid of all the things are bad for the new year.
Also, wear (I do this) wear something new so you'll have many new things over the year.

Last edited by cindy8219; 12-31-2005 at 10:55 PM.
cindy8219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:32 AM   #7
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

I am normaly with my guitar, sitting in front of a computer, playing away (or writing), and drinking a coke (maybe dr. pepper). Then I look down, see on the clock that it's the next year.

. . . not much of a tradition . . .
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
gomezxico
2day is 1day away from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
i think the most widespread tradition of all is to get really really drunk. i'm a girl of traditions
i tried the suitcase thing for traveling once and it worked

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
gomezxico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
i think in ireland, most poeple just get drunk and kiss someone at midnight and sing auld lang syne and then drink some more.
thats us too.. and watch dick clark's new years rockin eve to see the ball drop in times square.. he made a return last night it was kind of sad, he's had a stroke or something i think.. and mariah carey was the big performer of the evening jeez she's so fake (implants/hair extensions/attitude) and i'm pretty sure she lip-synced the whole thing. i quit watching but my son said hilary duff had a wardrobe malfunction at one point..

my tradition is to stay in every new years, i'm not much of a clubber anyway and it's too hyped and too much drunkeness/noise/mayhem for my taste. i always eat chinese new years eve (dunno why but it just seems lucky with the fortune cookies etc.) and i used to have a tradition of watching this really campy b comedy called "get crazy" but my video tape broke a few years back i get a bottle of champagne and chill watching movies or listening to music (broke out the ancient vinyl artifacts last night)

i remember my dad letting me shoot his pistol into the air at midnight when i was 7 years old or so, that was a tradition here for awhile but then they realized the bullets can actually come down and kill someone so it's kind of fallen out of favor...
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #10
maryb21
Colombian Eskimo

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy
I wore my only pair of yellow boxers last night..
hehe you´re funny, guess what i forgot to do the suitcase thing, my family were all screaming and all excited about new years, and i had to take a couple of pictures, we were at my cousins place, i mean you laugh a lot there, my family is just so crazy and loud and funny, but in a good way!!!

So after all i just ate the twelve grapes and that was about it, i don´t have a boyfriend since august and there were not hot boys at the party who weren´t my cousins haha, so no one to kiss!! But it was a good night!!!

Love you all!!
I wish you a kick ass 2006! seriously!
Old 01-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #11
fit.happy.productive.
Custom User Title

in germany all the poeple try to fool themselves , telling each ohter they´ll stop smoking, stop sleeping with strangers,try to focus on the more important values of life etc... and nearly everybody belives it for a few hours...until they fall asleep and get sober
(maybe poeple everywhere know this "tradition"; no idea; never been somewhere else at new year´s eve)
fit.happy.productive. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:49 AM   #12
dizzy cannon
senseless eskimo

when my mom was little she was told that it was good luck to open the front and backdoor and midnite to let the old year out and the new year in. so since me and my mom live in an apartment and dont have a back door. we open the front door and flush the toliet. hehe its corny but its my only tradition.

"You're still reaching for the moon."
"No, father. The moon's reaching for me!"

myspace

dizzy cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:30 AM   #13
maryb21
Colombian Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy cannon
when my mom was little she was told that it was good luck to open the front and backdoor and midnite to let the old year out and the new year in. so since me and my mom live in an apartment and dont have a back door. we open the front door and flush the toliet. hehe its corny but its my only tradition.

hahaha its pretty funny!!, especially your adaptation since you don´t have a back door!
Old 01-02-2006, 04:05 AM   #14
buddy
Eskimo Regular

Hmm.. Do the grapes count if they were in wine form? I'm in good shape if they do.

buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:29 AM   #15
maryb21
Colombian Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy
Hmm.. Do the grapes count if they were in wine form? I'm in good shape if they do.

I would say, Sure!! why not??
Old 01-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #16
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

i knew about the grapes from a friend i have from quito, ecuador. we did this when she was over 6 years ago... which was quite funny.
here we kiss and hug everyone at 12, or if it's more formal we just clink glasses with champaign and whish each other a happy new year. then they start to play the "wienerwalzer" a walz everywhere and ppl start to dance - or not. i forgot - for some it's tradition to watch "dinner for one" before midnight... this is not my taste. anyway - at twelve alll the little private fireworks start as well. we have an other tradition here as well: we have small figures of plumb here which we melt in a special spoon over a candle and trow the melted plumb in a basket filled with cold water so that it solidifies right away. then we take out our culture and guess what it could be. special symbols have special meanings for what will happen in the new year. i never had a look if this really happened but i like procedure itself...
Old 01-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #17
ayco
Eskimo Regular

We celebrate christmas. Or well, just my family I guess. Every year my parents forget to buy gifts so the day before christmas they go "oh no, we forgot to buy gifts and now there's not enough time left and the shops are crowded. let's celebrate christmas on the 31st". It's our family tradition and it's kind of fun in a way as well.
ayco is offline   Reply With Quote