Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 05-23-2007, 08:03 AM   #31
bjmo11
Eskimo Regular

he did a song after volcano and before me my yoke and I, that i had never heard, he was kinda mumbling, anyone know? it was short like 2 mins... and no not " is that it my friend".
bjmo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #32
bjmo11
Eskimo Regular

he kept repeating "never go down" like said on the last page.
bjmo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #33
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

These photographs are absolutely amazing! Keep doing what you do best my friend, you are definitely talented. I actually wanted to bring something up that I know will cause a little discern but I'm not really that concerned about it. The thing is, I've always enjoyed making things out of nothing. For example, you ever lie down beneath the sky on a clear sunny day and stare up at the clouds? Wondering whether you see a face or a car, or perhaps even a little bunny rabbit?

I was looking over these photographs and noticed something very peculiar about one of them the moment I laid eyes on it. Look at the picture below. When I first saw it I felt as if something was missing. I felt as if in between Damien and Vyv belonged another person...guess who? If you stare at the fog above both performers you'll see that it almost forms a face of someone familiar.

Don't try and find it, just let it happen naturally and you'll see her. This is such a romantic picture, how the light in the upper-right-hand corner could symbolize the moon shining down, the fog the clouds, and the face distinctively that of a familiar female figure we have all come to know. The face I see actually looks a lot like this one...

Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #34
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, you're right. Somehow she still seems to be omnipresent. At each and every gig...

Damien played "Is that it, my friend"?!? Oh, you guys are SO lucky! I can't wait to hear that. I'm probably still not over the fact that apparently not one single person got a decent recording of that song in Cologne. And it was the best thing I have EVER heard live. So intense. Just incredible...

And I love those pictures, Corey. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #35
Underdog_19
Eskimo Baby

Show was great...did seem short compared to the last Boston show. Loved the jam from The Professor into Woman Like a Man. Woman Like a Man would have been great if two girls didn't decide to stand up in the middle of the song and block EVERYTHING!

Cannonball was unbelievable...I think it takes a lot of guts to go with no mic and not use it as something to hide behind. Was equally impressed by the Opera House's acoustics to let the song carry the entire hall without having to strain.

Can't wait for Dave's recording!
Underdog_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #36
Topspin047
tennis pro

corey...AMAZING pictures, you've got some talent, man!

& an extended version of volcano?! I hope, hope, hope he does that in philly or dc!

p.s. damo with the wine glass is my fav picture!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #37
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

I actually just got home from Boston but I thought it was the best Boston show I've been to yet. I had two extremely obnoxious people next to me that kept whistling the entire show and singing and it really pissed me off.

Corey- absolutely AMAZING pictures. Your pictures are beautiful and now I feel extremely ashamed to post my crappy ones I took with my camera.

Palescales- in the last newsletter from Damien's site that went out (a couple weeks ago I believe) he mentions how he's coming back in the fall for another US leg. The dates haven't been announced yet though- but he'll definitely be back!

-Jen
bottlebohemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #38
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino
These photographs are absolutely amazing! Keep doing what you do best my friend, you are definitely talented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin@
And I love those pictures, Corey. Thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin047
corey...AMAZING pictures, you've got some talent, man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebohemia
Corey- absolutely AMAZING pictures. Your pictures are beautiful and now I feel extremely ashamed to post my crappy ones I took with my camera.
thank you all very much for the kind words... i'm glad you enjoy them as much as i do... perhaps more... cheers again for the praise... it doesn't go to my head... it just keeps me shooting more...
coreyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #39
dancingantsy
Eskimo Baby

does anyone have the setlist from last night??
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini (or diet coke) in the other hand, body thoroughly used up, worn out and tired...
and shouting "WOO HOO what a ride !!"
dancingantsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #40
jbpats
Eskimo Friend

Alright now I have time to review this show.
First let me say the audience was rude, but that seems to be the new trend for all Boston shows. One person who stuck out in my mind was this girl sitting behind me who yelled "play creep" after every song. Listen if you want to hear creep go see Radiohead next time not Damien Rice. I don't even want to get started how that same girl was acting during cheers darlin'.
Regardless of all that here is my interpretation of the show. I want to say it was not as good as last Decembers show mainly because Lisa wasn't there. However, if i never saw a Damien Rice show with Lisa then this show would probably have been the best concert I have ever seen. I also enjoyed the Song selection more during the last go around. A lot of people are saying they are happy he didnt extend and "jam out" his songs as much. I personally enjoy it more when he does that so to each his own.
I was very close this show, second row, so it is much harder to enjoy the lights but I am sure they were incredible as always I especially loved the candles placed all over the stage. Damiens voice was amazing and the acoustics were incredible.
The best song of the night for me was "is that it my friend" I have never heard that song before and it touched me deeply. Also 9 crimes had so much emotion, at times i thought Damien wanted to punch thru those keys on his piano. Accidental babies gave me chills up and down my spine along with older chests. I think it would be interesting if Damien did a show just on the Piano, lately I have been enjoying those renditions of his songs more then the guitar versions.
On a different note during Coconut skins they did a percussion break down. If anybody watched vyv during this it was easy to see that might have been the first time she ever picked up drum sticks. I thought that was funny.
Like i said before i thought the show was short only about an hour and a half. But If damien played for 5 hours i would think that was too short as well.
Overall a fantastic show, I still have goosebumps just thinking about it. I have pictures but i need to upload them still but i will be sure to share. Dave can't wait to hear another beautiful recording. I walked outside the opera house this morning hoping the busses would still be there but they are gone. I guess We will just have to wait again until september. Thank you Damien and the band for making me mesmerized once again..

Oh an Cory excellent pictures!
jbpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #41
lynne_n
Eskimo Baby

Cannonball was so incredible, it felt like we were in my living room. Very intimate. Hanging out across the street from the tour buss paid off. I got to meet the man himself. Though he didn't get into the tour bus, he squeezed himself and 4 other people into a Honda Civic ) Incredible show, as always. So happy I went.

*As a side note, I have noticed that there are a lot of people saying that the Boston crowds can be rude. I asked Damien how he liked Boston, and he said that he's well aware that when they come to Boston there will always be a few people that get...AAAHHHH! Yes, he actually screamed. He said that he didn't mind though. Another person asked Damien what he should do if the jackass behind him won't shut up during a show and Damien replied: "Go to a different city"

Last edited by lynne_n; 05-23-2007 at 03:04 PM.
lynne_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #42
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by palescales
i thought the guitarist looked a little bit at sea on stage. a few times he was looking over at damien to make sure he was on the same page. i imagine it's not easy to step in and play with a band that has been together for years and fit right in.
Actually, Joel's been playing with them for a while, and was on the European tour and parts of last year's summer tour. The problem is that Damien doesn't rehearse before he goes on tour. And he has no set list. So the other band mambers either have to read his mind or go off of whatever cues he gives them. Earl Harvin had a tough time with this last summer. Damien's not easy to keep up with.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #43
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Default Anyone else with a suggestion for samples?

I'm sure I can accomodate. Let's see what everyone else wants. Generally, it's the same stuff.

- what do the rest of you want?

** More info on second recording / recorder - now that I've listened to it at a decent volume level, I have to say, it's as good as the first recording / recorder. They could both be as good as December or better. I'll know in a day when my ears adjust a bit. Geez, why don't I just let you guys decide. **

Hey Corey, was that an SLR in your pants or were you just happy to see Viv? Maybe Damien? It's astonishing how well the few we have seen look. Thanks for the early preview.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrice45
also dave - if its possible can I get the recordings of is that it my friend?, the professor, and cross-eyed bear? thanks
daveydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #44
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydave
Hey Corey, was that an SLR in your pants or were you just happy to see Viv? Maybe Damien? It's astonishing how well the few we have seen look. Thanks for the early preview.
hahahahahaha... nice one... cheers... it just may have been an SLR, yes... unfortunately you can't shoot in those conditions with a point&shoot and get the same results... i shot hundreds of frames during the show but as all who've picked up a camera know, some come out and some just don't... i probably have 100 excellent frames of 'cheers darlin'... perhaps i can make a funny sequence with those...

man what a show... i'm still high off it... combining a damien show with capturing some great images is almost a system overload for me...
Old 05-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #45
Adelaide
Eskimo Princess

those photos are absolutely stunning Corey!
what camera do you use? i'm looking into buying a DSLR so any input would be nice...
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #46
Lophashea
Eskimo Baby

OK here we go:
I wasnt sure if I wanted to go last night because I love Damien Rice's music but after the last Boston show I wasn't sure if it was worth the $60 (with fees ) per ticket to hear him do a 20 minute space jam. Man I am so glad that I didn't cheap out because I got my money's worth and more. The last Damien Rice show I went to was my first and was at the Orpheum. It was hands down the worst concert I've ever seen (as seen by my posts in the old boston thread). Last night, might have been the best show I've ever seen. The setlist was nothing short of amazing and the acoustics at the opera house were incredible. I couldn't believe you could hear the piano keys hit their peak when he played them. Simply amazing. The crowd, like always in a small intimate venue, was ignorant. But I will say in my section no one talked during songs. The only problem with my row is that I felt like I was doing the wave because people kept getting up to piss. Although they were rude and immature they didnt say a peep during cannonball (which sent tingles down my spine). Also why do people feel the need to yell about Lisa? Just ask the person next to you that is a real fan and you will find out where she is. That has to be the most annoying thing. That is like asking Brian Johnson where Bon Scott is!(Only a little different because he is dead but you get my point). In closing I would like to apologize to some of you. I trashed you in the last boston thread and said that you guys didn't know what you were talking about and had no taste. I knew that many people intelligent people couldn't be wrong but then again Britney Spears can sell out the TD banknorth garden Hey and those pics that corey took! Wow those are better than press photos. You have an amazing eye and I hope you do that professionally. If not, you should.

Last edited by Lophashea; 05-23-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Lophashea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #47
abumchuck
Eskimo Baby

So i thought the show was very very good. Like everyone else said i was little surprised when it ended so short but oh well. I dont know if a lot of people realized this or not, but almost every song was completely reinvented from the way it is played on the albums and the way the band did them live last winter. To me, that is absolutely amazing. Not many artists are capable of doing that. There were different segues, different verses, different tempos, different jams, and different stories. I personally cant wait until the fall to see how everything evolves again.

On a different note, Daveydave, you are my hero, I can’t wait to listen to your recording and relive every moment.
abumchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #48
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide
those photos are absolutely stunning Corey!
what camera do you use? i'm looking into buying a DSLR so any input would be nice...
cheers... thanks for the kind words adelaide... is that your real name? stunning if it is...

i shot with a Canon Digital Rebel XTI body ($800 USD) and a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens ($350 USD)... it's my "i'm at a concert and need to be sneaky" setup... the body size of the XTI is small enough to fit somewhere on my body and not be noticed which is not easy to do with most SLRs... to me it feels strange because the body is small (compared with other SLRs) but it's a perfect fit for most women's hands... it's a fantastic camera though... i really love the photos that come out of it most of the time... the lens is meant for extremely low-light situations or obtaining incredible depth-of-field because it's a super fast lens, meaning that the shutter is capable of opening really wide really quickly... Canon makes a 50mm f/1.8 for about $80 USD (super cheap) that is a great starter for a fast prime lens... but the f/1.4 is a little bit faster and the focus mechanism is far superior and in low light situations , especially concerts, you don't want your lens hunting around trying to focus cause by then the shot is gone... i'm rambing... sorry... i could talk about cameras and lenses all day... let me know if you need help finding the right gear but i highly recommend the XTI as a beginner SLR... you won't outgrow it's capabilities until you start making serious money from your photographs...
Old 05-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #49
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Wow!! Is that if my friend + a Newie!!! Maybe he was compensating for the heavy metasl TBD from last year he he
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #50
Haina
Eskimo Friend

Amazing photos!! The lighting is perfect. Thank you for sharing!
Haina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #51
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Can anyone check if the new one from yesterday is the same as the new one from Portland that I posted (tiny bit) a month ago??

here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yXJbQIHnI
Old 05-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #52
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

jb,

Yes! So glad you mentioned this. I think this means that I win the difference of opinion I had with my wife last night about this on the way home. BTW - she's tough to beat in an argument, but I don't feel crazy anymore.

Let me say that I can't imagine a show without her and I'm amazed by her skill. In addition, she's got a great voice and plays a pretty good piano. Easy on the eyes too!

From the perspective of someone who took 9 years of drum lessons, and is trying to learn how to play a guitar, (even if I never get better than lousy!), I was shocked by her percussion skills. Most bands joke that they have musicians and a drummer. Most decent musicians can pick up the sticks and put together a decent beat. Where is this heading...I have never in my life seen such a talented musician look so helpless with drum sticks. It just boggled my mind because she has rhythm, but seemed like she had never picked up an instrument or drumsticks before. Everything from the grip, to her playing seemed off. Maybe she hadn't rehearsed this, or maybe she was sending a message to Damien to stick his sticks up his arse (which would be funny), but it was odd.

Any thoughts? Anyone else catch this?

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpats
On a different note during Coconut skins they did a percussion break down. If anybody watched vyv during this it was easy to see that might have been the first time she ever picked up drum sticks. I thought that was funny.

Oh an Cory excellent pictures!
daveydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #53
dragonflies76
Eskimo Baby

Default A newbie's view

Hola! Being a Damien newbie (and a ray fan) like jpbats, I have to agree 100% with his assessment of last night's show. Please be gentle on me when I say it was sad for me to hear Lisa's voice in my head during Volcano and 9Crimes, and not see her beautiful countenance on stage. The last Boston show at the Orpheum was my first taste of DR and was totally captivated by the band. Lisa was a major part of why I eagerly awaited last night's show. Fast forward....we all know what happened next. I am grateful that I got to see her play with DR at least once, but it definitely had an effect on my enjoyment of last night's show.

That being said (someone had to do it it was still an incredible performance! It was my first time hearing Dogs ("my only happy song") and loved it! I also love how he changed up most of the songs. It seemed like he was exorcising a few demons. Very angry set! Don't know why the show was so short...I thought since there was no opener, he would choose to do two sets with an intermission. That would be my idea of heaven....starting with an acoustic set and then plugging in for the second half. Has he ever done that? My favorite was "Cheers Darlin" although (because of the rude crowd?) we didn't get the story. Priceless! Has Damien done any acting? Because he nailed the bitter drunk guy! And on the first glass of wine!

All in all, a stunning performance and I eagerly await Daveydave's tapes. (Your crispy Orpheum show "got me in the mood" all week, so Thank You!) and Corey, amazing, amazing photos, man. Please upload the lot somewhere so we DRaholics can get our fix! Cheers!
dragonflies76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #54
abumchuck
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydave
jb,

Yes! So glad you mentioned this. I think this means that I win the difference of opinion I had with my wife last night about this on the way home. BTW - she's tough to beat in an argument, but I don't feel crazy anymore.

Let me say that I can't imagine a show without her and I'm amazed by her skill. In addition, she's got a great voice and plays a pretty good piano. Easy on the eyes too!

From the perspective of someone who took 9 years of drum lessons, and is trying to learn how to play a guitar, (even if I never get better than lousy!), I was shocked by her percussion skills. Most bands joke that they have musicians and a drummer. Most decent musicians can pick up the sticks and put together a decent beat. Where is this heading...I have never in my life seen such a talented musician look so helpless with drum sticks. It just boggled my mind because she has rhythm, but seemed like she had never picked up an instrument or drumsticks before. Everything from the grip, to her playing seemed off. Maybe she hadn't rehearsed this, or maybe she was sending a message to Damien to stick his sticks up his arse (which would be funny), but it was odd.

Any thoughts? Anyone else catch this?

dave
Well in my opinion i think Vyv only had the drum sticks for show. The real beat of that jam came from Tomo and Joel on the other side. I think Vyv and shane were more just there to make the whole scene look cool, which it accomplished. Your right, shes probably not very skilled at percussion/ drums so she more or less stayed out of the way as opposed to trying to do to much and ruining it. I thought the jam was awsome by the way.
abumchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #55
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Vyv's been doing this for the whole tour by the way
Old 05-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #56
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

and can someone post the setlist?? Many thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #57
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
i'm guessing that if it wasn't posted already then we don't have it... i'm not one to write these things down... sorry... played a bunch of great tunes tho... some new - some old... haha, sorry
Old 05-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #58
nyrice45
Eskimo Friend

I guess I posted the closest thing to the set-list - but ill try to put everything in order- sorry I never write them down- this is as close as I can remember, but I'm sure we'll be able to correct it with a recording (I'll be embarassed if Im way off)

volcano
me my yoke and I
new one "never go down"
is that it my friend?
9 crimes
cross-eyed bear
the professor (with the man, silly dog bit)
coconut skins,
woman like a man,
dogs (girl who does yoga),
older chests
accidental babies
cannonball (no mic)

encore with delicate, blowers daughter and cheers darlin'

Just a few other things- I've seen damien a number of times and I think this was my favorite one- mostly because of the intensity (especially in the 1st hour) and I actually wasn't really affected by Lisa not being there (except maybe for her verse in volcano). Obviously she's great but for me the music felt more intense (ex: 9 crimes) or revealing just being damien by himself (also - since he didn't do I remember or cold water where she is prominently featured that might've made it a little easier)

Great line Damien had saying we should go to another city to see the concert if there was an annoying person behind us- the crowd was pretty bad- but they were also pretty engaged in the music at times (the professor, cannonball, cheers darlin')

Thanks for the great pictures/looking forward to the recording
nyrice45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #59
palescales
Eskimo Baby

i definitely didn't miss lisa all that much. his intensity made up for her absence. it did make me want to see damien do a tour completely solo.
palescales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #60
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Here you go...sorry it was late- better late than never! Please let me know if I left anything out/ need to add anything- I made my best friend write the set list while I attempted to take pics -which I'll post later.

1.) Volcano
(into a snippet of What do you know about love)
2.) Me, My Yoke
(outro/improv- Never Go Down)
3.) Is that it my friend?
4.) 9 Crimes
5.) Crossed Eyed Bear
6.) The Professor into Child, Man, Silly Dog, back to Professor and then La Fille Danse
7.) Coconut Skins w/ Percussion breakdown
8.) Woman Like a Man
9.) Older Chests
10.) Dogs
11.) Accidental Babies
12.) Cannonball acoustic (just Damien) w/ no mic

Encore:
1.) Delicate
2.) Blower's Daughter
3.) Cheers Darlin'

Last edited by bottlebohemia; 05-29-2007 at 01:51 AM.
bottlebohemia is offline   Reply With Quote