Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
bluebeagle
Serious Eskimo

Default Anyone driving from Chicago to NY Apollo show on the 15th??

Is anyone making the drive from Chicago to NY for both shows that would be willing to let another eskimo friend tag along?? I'd help with gas

I need to figure out a way to get from Chicago to NY in time for the concert. Plane tickets are too expensive, and no train or bus would get me there on time considering I'll be attending the 14th show in Chicago the day before.

Thanks for looking
bluebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

That's a hefty 13-15 hour drive each way. You'd spend more on gas than on a flight. There are some cheap flights to NYC if you do some hunting.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
madhat181
Uber Fan

You can take Megabus and make it $64 each way

Departs 11:59 PM Chicago, IL , Union Station S Canal St south of Jackson Blvd.

Arrives 6:05 PM New York, NY , 7th Ave & 28th St.
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
bluebeagle
Serious Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
That's a hefty 13-15 hour drive each way. You'd spend more on gas than on a flight. There are some cheap flights to NYC if you do some hunting.
It is a long drive but I figure if someone else was going we could split the driving and gas which would make it worth the trip. Thanks I'll search harder for flights.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
bluebeagle
Serious Eskimo

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhat181 View Post
You can take Megabus and make it $64 each way

Departs 11:59 PM Chicago, IL , Union Station S Canal St south of Jackson Blvd.

Arrives 6:05 PM New York, NY , 7th Ave & 28th St.
Thanks for looking up that info, I looked into it and you're right I can make it there right in time for the concert. Unfortunately there is no bus that will bring me back in time for work on Monday. I will keep trying
Old 10-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
signalfire
Eskimo Regular

It is a tough route. I've had to suck it up and pay for the flight before. Best of luck! If you're can't make it work, I hope you'll give us Eskimos a crack at your ticket since some of us were locked out of the general sale.
signalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
ashleyz
Eskimo Friend

I'm not sure about Chicago but from Boston to ny I've actually taken greyhound pretty cheap (obviously it will be more expensive from Chicago but they were comparable to other bus companies) and they seem to have buses run more often than the other companies. Again, not sure of that's because it's only from Boston to NY but maybe worth looking into.
ashleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
bluebeagle
Serious Eskimo

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
It is a tough route. I've had to suck it up and pay for the flight before. Best of luck! If you're can't make it work, I hope you'll give us Eskimos a crack at your ticket since some of us were locked out of the general sale.
The cheapest flight I found was about $260 round trip which isn't too bad. I actually haven't purchased a ticket yet. I want to make sure I can get there first. I'll focus on getting a ticket later.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
bluebeagle
Serious Eskimo

[quote=ashleyz;377598]I'm not sure about Chicago but from Boston to ny I've actually taken greyhound pretty cheap (obviously it will be more expensive from Chicago but they were comparable to other bus companies) and they seem to have buses run more often than the other companies. Again, not sure of that's because it's only from Boston to NY but maybe worth looking into.[/Q]

Thanks for looking. I checked Greyhound as well, but everything is too long and gets me there too late. It's a very long bus ride, some are 20+ hrs. Somewhat expensive as well, almost as much as a flight.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
madhat181
Uber Fan

Try Southwest or spirit airlines. Spirit has fees for baggage but since you will probably have little to none that should be ok.

You also can try this. Take the mega bus to NYC. And since you can leave anytime Sunday Nov 16th use priceline and bid low 50-$100 for a one way back to Chicago. I bid the same day on a flight to chicago and I paid $45 plus tax. You will most likely get a morning flight since they are the cheapest. So you will have plenty of time to rest when you get back to Chicago. Best part is you can spend Saturday night/morning in NYC there are tons of things you can do. You dont even need a hotel.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
bluebeagle
Serious Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhat181 View Post
Try Southwest or spirit airlines. Spirit has fees for baggage but since you will probably have little to none that should be ok.

You also can try this. Take the mega bus to NYC. And since you can leave anytime Sunday Nov 16th use priceline and bid low 50-$100 for a one way back to Chicago. I bid the same day on a flight to chicago and I paid $45 plus tax. You will most likely get a morning flight since they are the cheapest. So you will have plenty of time to rest when you get back to Chicago. Best part is you can spend Saturday night/morning in NYC there are tons of things you can do. You dont even need a hotel.

Good luck!
Is that really how Priceline works? You can just bid the day of? Is it based on people not making their flights and cancelling? Sounds awesome, but scary. With my luck I'll get stuck there with no way back haha
I'm going to definitely look into this, sounds like my best option so far.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #12
madhat181
Uber Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeagle View Post
Is that really how Priceline works? You can just bid the day of? Is it based on people not making their flights and cancelling? Sounds awesome, but scary. With my luck I'll get stuck there with no way back haha
You can bid on priceline ahead of time. I just had to book a last minute flight.

Check out this site for tips.
http://www.travelchicks.tv/how-to-bi...ets-priceline/

Or google priceline airline tips
Old 10-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
madhat181
Uber Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeagle View Post
You can bid on priceline ahead of time. I just had to book a last minute flight.

Check out this site for tips.
http://www.travelchicks.tv/how-to-bi...ets-priceline/

http://www.bidontravel.com is a great site too

Or google priceline airline tips
Old 10-31-2014, 05:43 AM   #14
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Spirit has a nonstop round trip flight for $200. Leaves the 14th returns the 15th. $200 is less than you'd spend on gas for the road trip even if you split it.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
madhat181
Uber Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
Spirit has a nonstop round trip flight for $200. Leaves the 14th returns the 15th. $200 is less than you'd spend on gas for the road trip even if you split it.
OP has to be in Chicago on the 14th for Damo's concert there. And be in NYC for the concert on the 15th. Taking those flight will miss both concerts
Old 10-31-2014, 08:22 PM   #16
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Oh **** put in the wrong dates. Sorry OP.