Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #91
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Great show, amazing setlist. What if I'm wrong is such a good song, shame that it's not on an album.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #92
wmacson
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanemily View Post
anyone got the full version of Volcano pls let me know )
Yes, if anyone has a full version of Volcano, I'd love to see it as well. Thank you!
wmacson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #93
adamkorle
Eskimo Baby

Man....when is he gonna reschedule the Toronto gig. I'm checking his FB page all the time but haven't heard anything yet.
adamkorle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #94
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
I´m upping some videos, I upped Lonelilly, Sand and MFFF, but they´re being processed now!!! the videos are kinda shaky cos of my coffee overdose before the gig in order to stay awake

Lonelilly

Sand

Cannot believe what an incredibile setlist we got!!! People were shouting all kind of requests but he was very biased toward the rare songs!!! and he kept saying he was sorry for the "normal fans" and every now and then he was playing a "greatest hit" like Cannonball for them

but I liked it he also played the newies, the 4 he did were all incredible!! MFFF in particular was amazing, two parts with his normal voice and one final part in falsetto!
marti, i adore you even more for these vids! this is easily my favorite setlist so far.
thanks to all for sharing pics, vids, reviews, feelings... they totally reached me out and i'm utterly happy for each of you!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #95
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

In his intro to 9 crimes, he said it was originally written on piano but was doing the guitar version because they didn't have a piano there. I hope there's a piano at the Warsaw!
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #96
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationDestination View Post
In his intro to 9 crimes, he said it was originally written on piano but was doing the guitar version because they didn't have a piano there. I hope there's a piano at the Warsaw!
I actually prefer the demo version of 9 Crimes. It's a hidden track on 9.
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #97
Hannah25
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I record the whole gig (audio only) with my phone.

Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/19h6t2crb9...90654.m4a?dl=0

let me know if this works!
Can't believe this was recorded on a phone - great quality! Thank you thank you thank you
Old 10-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #98
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

sorry i missed the very first part! i thought it was on but not
anyone has a full version?
conanemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #99
melodie
mmm bop.

Quote:
sorry i missed the very first part! i thought it was on but not
anyone has a full version?
how did you do it, where was your phone the whole time? the quality really is impressive!
melodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #100
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodie View Post
how did you do it, where was your phone the whole time? the quality really is impressive!
I was in the front row, so i put my phone on the steps! (didn't move it at all)
Old 10-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #101
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

God, I haven't listened to Sand in years. I forgot what a freaking great song this is. So happy to hear this right now. Thank you for recording, Emily!
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #102
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
God, I haven't listened to Sand in years. I forgot what a freaking great song this is. So happy to hear this right now. Thank you for recording, Emily!
you are very welcome. will try to get another good recording today!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #103
luna245
Eskimo Baby

What an amazing set list, you lucky...! Hope tonight is another mix of unexpected songs, but even if not we have these great recordings to keep us happy. Thanks to everyone who shared!
luna245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #104
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

God even despite being sick it seemed like he was in such a great mood last night. So funny and clever and bantering. I love hearing him like this. He should just stick to small shows. Hahah.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #105
amyyhc
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
God even despite being sick it seemed like he was in such a great mood last night. So funny and clever and bantering. I love hearing him like this. He should just stick to small shows. Hahah.
It was my first time seeing him live, and I am so glad I managed to to make it to one of the small, intimate shows. The atmosphere was absolutely perfect! I hope he does more of these smaller gigs in the future.
amyyhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #106
melodie
mmm bop.

Quote:
agreed. he is so goddamn charming.
melodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #107
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

it was my first time seeing him too. What a magical night
Old 10-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #108
damien lisa
am i breaking u

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
I´m upping some videos, I upped Lonelilly, Sand and MFFF, but they´re being processed now!!! the videos are kinda shaky cos of my coffee overdose before the gig in order to stay awake

Lonelilly

Sand

Cannot believe what an incredibile setlist we got!!! People were shouting all kind of requests but he was very biased toward the rare songs!!! and he kept saying he was sorry for the "normal fans" and every now and then he was playing a "greatest hit" like Cannonball for them

but I liked it he also played the newies, the 4 he did were all incredible!! MFFF in particular was amazing, two parts with his normal voice and one final part in falsetto!
best ver of Sand for me
Old 10-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #109
commonsense
Eskimo Regular

Wait. He really didn't play blowers daughter?
commonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #110
Cremallero
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Baby View Post
Great show, amazing setlist. What if I'm wrong is such a good song, shame that it's not on an album.
This was unreal. I could not agree with you more. We must get the studio recording of this track from the powers that be.

I emailed info@whenthedragon.com a month or so back and got the responses

Quote:
Hi Alex,

Due to difficulties clearing the rights for a wide distribution, the soundtrack has not been released independently. I know, it's very unfortunate.

All the best,
Dirk
Quote:
Sorry Alex, but I am not in a position to provide any mp3's.

Best,
Dirk
It's farfetched, but I feel as though if you asked for it from the source itself (Damien, management) they wouldn't have a problem posting it at least, since it seems to be a non-commercial release and sort of just in purgatory right now. Who knows.

Hopefully we'll get it, one day.
Cremallero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #111
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

What a great first show for all of you!

Some quick thoughts:

The room is *small* and somewhat narrow. So as you file in you just stack yourself in front of the stage (unfortunately, we were behind some tall fans to the left).

There were reserved tables to the side, and a limited-access balcony. Some greeter said "black wristbands."

Shortly after 7:00, the curtain was drawn showing a single mic on stage. Damien walked down some stairs at the back of the stage and started to play. (The exit sign was a bit annoying; we realized after the show that the stage exits immediately to Freeman's Alley.)

We were surprised and really happy with the Insane opener. Kind of set the tone for the night.

New one (album support).

First talking break was to explain how he was feeling (dizzy) and then talked about when you first meet someone you want to show each of your "nice sides." Into Delicate.

Called 9 Crimes when he started talking about how it was released on piano. Lots of people seemed excited for that one.

I believe My Favourite was a debut in full, as that one video I watched was just a tease, aborted. Sounded good.

Love Older Chests.

Up until this point, some people on the crowd would shout/talk with Damien, but only here and there. But when he asked people for what he should play next, it opened up the floodgates, lol. With that said, the crowd was incredibly respectful. A great mix of silence during the songs, and interaction in between. (I have mentioned this once already, but New Yorkers need to play with their new iPhone 6s so they can learn how to turn off the flash.)

I was one of the guys yelling "Sand!" but we had to wait for What If I'm Wrong first. Sand was all I wanted it to be. I have loved that song for years.

Rootless Tree is kind of an angry song. Just saying. And I have always appreciated the lyrics to Cannonball.

Really like Lonelilly. Such a pretty song. But it was also the song where he had the most difficulty remembering lyrics (not an issue, mind you).

Inviting the crowd members up on stage for Volcano kind of reminds me what he would (does?) do with his sampler -- setting up fragments of a song and layering them one on top of each other. He certainly has a vision when he asks people to join him on stage.

Box was fitting.

I Remember will forever remind me of the amazing set from Bonnaroo 2004, with the rain pouring down outside the tent (https://archive.org/details/damo2004-06-12.ck-63; I Remember and Prague are must hears).

With all of us cheering, the curtain was drawn and the lights came on. Damien needed his rest. Responding to a suggestion that he join the other Sand lover at Shake Shack, he said he needed to go to sleep.

I *think* this was my eleventh Damien show. This was among the keepers, the special ones.

Last edited by jwelsh8; 10-17-2014 at 11:20 PM.
jwelsh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:40 AM   #112
cmigliaccio
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelsh8 View Post
Our friend was able to buy a ticket for cash as well.
From the box office or someone with an extra?
cmigliaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #113
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

My daughter requested "What If I'm Wrong," and by some miracle he played it and it was SO great! The first few seconds are shaky because she was freaking out excited- sorry! So happy to finally have good audio of this song!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3nfs5I8aqME
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #114
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmacson View Post
Yes, if anyone has a full version of Volcano, I'd love to see it as well. Thank you!
a picture!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #115
CoffeeFlavoredEverything
Eskimo Baby

Whoa! Where'd you find this?
CoffeeFlavoredEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #116
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

the guy standing behind me, Patrick, he was shooting with a big camera. so I left my email address to him.

but he only sent me this one - i'm asking for more! he obviously has tons of taken, and, wow, it just looks amazing
Old 10-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #117
CoffeeFlavoredEverything
Eskimo Baby

Oh wow! This is great. I'd love to see more! (especially if he has one with me in it as well (I sound so self centered, this is not normal at all )).
CoffeeFlavoredEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #118
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

oh yeah of course! this was taken in the beginning of the song. I'll definitely ask for more.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #119
wmacson
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
oh yeah of course! this was taken in the beginning of the song. I'll definitely ask for more.
Fantastic picture, conanemily! Thank you. Would love to see more if you get them.
wmacson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #120
soChildish
Eskimo Baby

The audience collab is super fun and cool. Just curious, does he just randomly pick people on the spot or did you guys win something?
soChildish is offline   Reply With Quote