Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 08-19-2006, 03:58 AM   #1
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Default I'm curious..

I apologize if this is a "noob" question, but I cannot seem to find an answer. I read Spamlet's response in the "just wanted" thread about passion, and I must agree with his idea about feeling it and that Damien does just that. However, i've listened to a bunch of Juniper stuff, and then listened to "O", and I just cannot comprehend the difference. To me, he's not the same man. I listen to the Juniper stuff and I don't feel much. Then I listen to Damien and I feel everything. Does anyone else get this? Does anyone know what happend in the "went to Tuscany" time that caused this passion to surface? Maybe I'm wrong, but when I listen to the Juniper versions of Damien songs I cannot help but feel very little. The "O" versions are indescribable. This difference is VERY interesting to me. What happened here? Maybe it is just the obvious growing of a person, but this feels much more. Perhaps at least people will share my sentiment. Once again, I'm sorry if I'm visiting old ground, I do know how to search. Anyhow, anybody know what's up here?
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:42 AM   #2
Bumpman

Supposedly it was the way he recorded the songs, he's described both writing and performing the songs as being like either vomiting or going to the toilet. He says it because he believes them to be truly spontaneous acts when done well. When he was with Juniper they would make demo's and then record the songs professionally, and according to Damien the demo's would sound better then the studio versions because there was more heart in them. So recording both "O" and the second album has literally just been a case of waiting until recording a song feels right, setting up his little home studio that he carries around with him, and just recording himself as 'unprofessionally' as possible. As a result the songs on the album are gathered from a lot of different sessions and performances. Amie was the only one recorded in a big studio, Cheers Darlin' was recorded while he was drunk at three in the morning, Older Chests was done by just placing two microphones in top of his shoes and kneeling down to play, I Remember is actually two different performances stuck together. The whole thing is a fairly ramshackle affair... But that's what makes it so special I suppose. Also, nobody is going to get too upset with you for being new, so don't worry about asking questions eh?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

What Bump said,

Also though, Damo has spoken at length about how important the year or so he spent busking the streets of Europe was to him. He said when people are rushing past you all day long you really learn to listen to yourself playing. I think this is key. Damo on "O" sounds as if he's singing to himself and you are eavesdropping as opposed to when he was trying very hard to be the supercool rockGod frontman in Juniper. Juniper's stuff is also very overproduced for today's listeners whereas "O" is so stripped down you aren't constantly being reminded you're listening to the same album a million other folks are.

It's essentially the difference between presentational (musical theatre) and representational (the audience is looking through the invisible 'fourth wall' of the room) performances. One sucks you into inhabiting its world and the other you permit to entertain you as a member of a group.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Bumpman

I guess the main thing is that pre-1999 he was completely ignorant, and after his tuscany busking
and his italian potato farming he wasn't such an asshole anymore.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
Juniper's stuff is also very overproduced for today's listeners
I don't think that's neccesarily true... fair enough you could apply it to the Polygram singles, and perhaps some of the tracks on the Rarities albums that were obviously recorded with a view to being commercially released (Boring Afternoon for one) but I for one get chills listening to the Juniper version of Insane, for example. The live stuff (granted only a handful of tracks have surfaced) is quite powerful as well. I haven't heard a better version of Face (though if anyone thinks they have a contender send it my way )
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
cille
creepycute

I'd say he just found his own voice, after breaking with juniper and his busking adventure. asshole or not.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
The live stuff (granted only a handful of tracks have surfaced) is quite powerful as well.
would "produced" not exclude live tracks as there is very little producing to be done apart from possibly effects pedals.

i mean you couldnt recreate half the jiggery pokery in junipers songs if they tried to play them live.

although i like "i just cant help believing"
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #8
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

of all the juniper versions of damien's songs face is one that i like, but it still isn't a touch on damien solo.. none of the juniper stuff is imo.. they sound like a lot of other irish bands with driving guitars and rushed melodies, and damien's voice isn't anywhere near as expressive or stands out as much when he was with them.. (btw closing doors, has anyone on the planet but you ever heard juniper's version of insane? i'm beginning to think it's a myth )

so maybe finding his voice is a good way to put it, but i think it was more than that or just how he recorded songs (tho that's v interesting about the shoes and older chests, i never knew that) it was how he changed how he wrote songs and decided to live his life differently.. i don't know if you call it an epiphany or revelation or paradigm shift or what but i think it started before he left juniper, with eskimo..

DR If you look at my life, my songwriting life changed when I was in Juniper. I got to a point. There was a time when I had three days to write songs and I was frustrated in the fact that I was thinking I was a songwriter and that is my job and I should really be working at this as a songwriter writing songs. I realized it was a completely wrong approach having this idea that you are supposed to work at it. After three days I picked up the guitar and 'Eskimo' literally flew into my head in ten minutes. For me I was sitting there feeling sad about not being able to write so I started to write about my feelings about not being able to write. Once that happened I have never tried to write again. I now don't write songs. I just go to wherever I go to. It is like going to the toilet. You don't decide you are going to go to the toilet today or go to the toilet three times today. You just eat and the food you put into your system will decide when it wants to come out.

Undercover interview, 2003 (it's on the interviews page)

it sounds to me like he felt like he was compromising and not being true to himself and his art was suffering because of it.. and then writing eskimo was an epiphany for him and made him realize that it's best to let things happen naturally and organically, not force anything and to live his life to please himself..

just a thought
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:18 AM   #9
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
(btw closing doors, has anyone on the planet but you ever heard juniper's version of insane? i'm beginning to think it's a myth )
I occasionally play it for people, but I have to kill them afterwards
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #10
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

damien had his epiphany in tuscany.

i had mine in eamon dorans on junly 11th. really fantastic so it was