Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-05-2005, 03:27 PM   #61
eims
Eskimo Eejit

Location: University of Wales, Aberystwyth. Originally from Norn Iron tho..

Interesting to hear a guy's thoughts on all this ..
Old 03-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #62
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

heehee the penis thread is back!!
4 drinks down and i just don't care,
5 in the morning,
6 stories up looking down,
7 still fighting,
8 times around but this time i wont drown!

Nightrocker- The Chalets
Donsie B! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:09 PM   #63
Gazel
Eskimo Regular

hurrah!
Gazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:17 PM   #64
cille
creepycute

blast from the past! and a good one
Old 03-06-2005, 09:43 PM   #65
crackpotcuckoo
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
Sorry but"Me, My Yoke and I" is clearlyDamo's masturbation anthem.
At a concert somewhere or another (I can't remember where) Damien is telling the story of the song.... "There's this guy I knew.And when he was younger he discovered this thing hanging out of his body. And One day he actually found out what to do with it. He used to feel so guity about talking to this new friend of his that he used to donate money to charity. Untill he got to the point where he didn't have money to donate anymore."
crackpotcuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:14 AM   #66
*Killian*
If Carlsberg Did Eskimos

yup, thats from his gig in the Paradiso in Amsterdam i think....u canwatch it from the videos section
Old 03-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #67
cille
creepycute

but it's also about sublimated masturbation, i think.
masculine energy in other forms.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:29 PM   #68
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

..cud we all get arrested 4 this thread if any kids read it?!
4 drinks down and i just don't care,
5 in the morning,
6 stories up looking down,
7 still fighting,
8 times around but this time i wont drown!

Nightrocker- The Chalets
Donsie B! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:34 PM   #69
cille
creepycute

what kids? you mean those below 15 y-o-a? (look away, donsie!)
Old 03-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #70
Gazel
Eskimo Regular

ah cille you beat me to it!
Gazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:07 PM   #71
cille
creepycute

Old 03-08-2005, 02:53 AM   #72
samuelle
care bear stare!

this is kind of ironic timing because i just saw the vagina monologues performed at the local university this past weekend. it's supposed to be such an empowering performance - and many parts were - but then a few of the essays presented were anything but, maintaining the same heteronormative roles that have always seemed to be in place.

i got a sense that some of the performers were playing their roles, laboring under the idea that it was a novelty to say certain words in public. at the question and answer session afterwards, only one of the performers was able to say "vagina" without blushing. it's one thing to say it when it's scripted, but otherwise...oh my no. the group of women i was sitting by at the performance couldn't even say the title - how are people going to accept their sexuality if they can't even use the necessary terminology? it isn't vulgar or offensive, it just is, but people seem to be afraid of it.

in a lot of ways, i'm jealous at how liberated the males i know are about their sexuality. group masterbation is not out of the norm, by any means. the subject has come up with my close male friends, but never my close female friends, which just goes to show that perhaps i have some work to do as well.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:47 AM   #73
ytz1
Eskimo Baby

Default Vm

I know exactly what you mean about hpw the Vagina Monlogues talk about things as if they were a novelty. My biggest problem with the Vagina Monologues was that most of the Audiance was laughing. I found it sad. It is sad that in this advanced stage of existance a show like this is novel to people. I did not find it funny that an old woman never had an orgasm. It is so sad.
ytz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:18 AM   #74
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelle
in a lot of ways, i'm jealous at how liberated the males i know are about their sexuality. group masterbation is not out of the norm, by any means. the subject has come up with my close male friends, but never my close female friends, which just goes to show that perhaps i have some work to do as well.
wow samuelle... well said! kind of a counterpoint to the initial premise of the discussion. interesting....
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #75
ytz1
Eskimo Baby

Default Cannonball

And once again I am back in my favorite thread - this time it is thanks to a friend who got me talking about "Cannonball." I've never paid too deep attention to this beautiful song, because frankly I found it a little cheesy. I mean, it was good make-out music, and very romantic - but as you may know from my past posts, I am more into DR's concepts of frustration with love/lust - and the tear between his intellect, his need for love, and his need for sex. So a "pretty" song was not as interesting.
But then I took a deeper look into the lyrics, and found that the end is very much again about an erection. Here is what I found:

Cannonball is about a guy trying to get close to a girl, but feeling frustrated -
In the verses he speaks of being very intimate with her, parts of her left in him on a more physical, romantic level. They are close, but he "can't see what's going on." Like in "The Professor" where he writes "loving is good, when it's not understood," here he is lost in the intimacy so he is not seeing the relationship intellectually.

In the chorus he is saying that all the cliché certainties in life lead him to be resourceful - nothing is simple. “Stones taught me to fly” - Whatever is holding him down he must overcome. It is the limitation that has allowed him to succeed. He then confesses that despite the romantic verses, ultimately he finds it useless “Love taught me to lie”. Damien takes the greatest cliché of all, "love," and says that this is just a deceitful act or one that leads to deceit.
But he accepts these frustrating "paradoxes"/"uncertainties"/"flaws" because that's what we are - we "float like a cannonball." We are destined to sink. So it's easy to fall - especially in love.

However, at the end of the song, in this world of contradictions, he ironically begs for courage ("courage, teach me to be shy") to keep him from telling her how he really feels. He begs to keep it romantic with the physical intimacy, and the games of love, to avoid telling her that he is not sure about how he feels about her.

And then he finds a way to grow through the uncertainty (“and it’s not hard to grow…”). Why can he grow - when he's a sinking cannonball? The answer is either like the stones, which taught him to fly, he can grow through what is holding him down. But I think the truth is that here his growing is physical. He finds it easy to be physical when he is lost and confused in the intimacy. It is easy to lust someone, when you are unsure. I truly believe he is talking about his erection (and therefore the growing is actually in a way sinking.) It is easy to **** a girl when you know that you have no feelings for her.
He wants to love, he wants to give her this romantic song, but he is unsure about her once the intellect kicks in. But with his dick, it is easy to gets lost in the intimacy. It is easy to be in lust when you are lost.

Just my opinion.
ytz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:03 PM   #76
WhatAmIDarling?
Eskimo Regular

Can't say this is a topic I've really started thinking about just yet (though I'm sure I will one day), I think the reason the ladies giggled (other than possible embaressment/a little shame) is just simply because, how else were they supposed to react? Someone speaking the word "masturbation" into a microphone isn't something one would expect to hear, so the giggling was probably just surprise. Plus, girls giggle at everything.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:51 AM   #77
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytz1
I know exactly what you mean about hpw the Vagina Monlogues talk about things as if they were a novelty. My biggest problem with the Vagina Monologues was that most of the Audiance was laughing. I found it sad. It is sad that in this advanced stage of existance a show like this is novel to people. I did not find it funny that an old woman never had an orgasm. It is so sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytz1
I once went to the Vagina Monologues. It was very disturbing to me. I was disturbed by the comedy of it – I did not find it funny. I felt bad for anyone woman who did not get to know herself, or only found themselves later in life.
I think it probably depends on which parts they were laughing at, and which of the monologues were being performed. There are parts of 'The Flood' - the monologue you mentioned about the old woman - which are intentionally very funny. The fact that she's never had an orgasm and is ashamed of her own sexuality is clearly not a joke, and nor is it intended to be, but anyone who's seen that particular monologue performed pretty much has to laugh when Dean Martin and co swim past in their dinner jackets.

All productions of the Vagina Monologues can choose which particular monologues they are going to perform, the only rule being that they must be performed in a certain order. Roughly half of the stories are at times very funny, while the other half are deeply emotional, and often traumatic. You're supposed to laugh at the Vagina Monologues. The grim bits are so bleak that it pretty much has to be broken up with some good laughs.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #78
*minx*
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelle
in a lot of ways, i'm jealous at how liberated the males i know are about their sexuality. group masterbation is not out of the norm, by any means. the subject has come up with my close male friends, but never my close female friends
You really pinned that down Samuelle. This isn't specifically to do with group masturbation, but I recently had a chat with a friend about what men like in sexual relationships (no need to specify we all know the deal) and pretty much the ins and outs of it, but we never talked about what we would enjoy, and when the topic came up ONCE she said she'd find it really awkward to admit to wanting specific things, and would find it really embaressing to say to anyone that she'd want to masturbate. Needless to say, group masturbation is a hell of a long way off!
Old 05-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #79
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

so did i mention that rasputin fella yet ?!
Old 03-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #80
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

Ive seen this thread flash up in a the past, in seeing what the guests are reading! and ive always started to read it, but never gotten that far in it! for one reason or another! But i've just read it! And to be honest, i liked it!

I like to do research on topics, its what i love to do! And i've always been intrigues by Masturbation/Sex/Practices of Sex, and the Tabbo side of Sex. Trying to work out what is classed as "Normal Sex", and what is classed as "Unacceptable Sex" I think one of my favourite Psychology Case studies i ever read, was the "Little Hanz" one, by Freud. the one where he fantasies over his mother, and is jealous over his Father. He comes up with a idea called the Oedipus complex.

Organized impulses in love and hatred that a child experiences with regard to his parents.

According to FREUD, the Oedipus Complex is to be found from the age of 3 to 5, at the time of the phallic phase and is visible in the child because of an attitude of seduction as regards the parent of the opposed sex, together with masturbation attitudes.

At the same time, the child expresses an attitude of jealousy against the parent of the same sex, his rival.

It plays a fundamental role in the structuring of the personality and the orientation of the human desire; the Oedipus Complex is the result of infantile sexuality.

The structure of the Complex of Oedipus is CASTRATION.

The Complex of Oedipus is different among the girl and the boy :

Among boys it has three stages :

1st Stage : The little boy proposes to be the object which satisfies his mother’s desire.

2nd Stage : The child runs up against the interdict of the father who is the obstacle to his desire, therefore bringing about the appearance of aggressivity towards the father.

3rd Stage : The child must accept and integrate the paternal interdict.

In girls there are two stages :

The absence of the penis will be felt as an absence, a lack the mother is responsible for; the Complex of Oedipus will take the small girl through two stages :

1st Stage :

First : It excludes the mother from her desire.

Secondly: She is attracted to her father.

2nd Stage :

The small girl runs against the interdict of the father and thus gives him up so as to be able to accept sexual intercourse with other men.

Explanation of these two stages :

1st Stage :

Towards three years and half, the small girl discovers the difference of the two sexes, she is thus disadvantaged compared to the boy and considers that as a damage due to her mother.

Then, she turns to her mother, because she hopes that she will give her a penis, but the mother cannot give her one. So she feels frustrated and excluded.

2nd Stage :
The small girl, then turns to her father and tries to conquer him so that he can give her one , but she runs up against his interdict, and after understanding it, accepts her condition.

To conclude, in both sexes, the Oedipus Complex fashions the child’s adult sexuality.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
(I dont research these "things", or read about "things" to "get myself Off", i do it to learn!)

Alot of my friends, (including boys) dont speak openly about their sexual tendencies. I love spekaing about sex, and that! I think its great! But then alot of girls that i know dont speak about sex, BUT if they do, they speak to me about sex. And not their boyfriends! not sure if thats a good thing? But i always enncourage people to speak about sex, or anything to do with it!

There is nothing wrong with masturbation (as all ready said), men, women, children and i think animals do it, so whats wrong about it!

I have a book about Philosophy, and one chapter is about 'Virginity'. I just wanna read something to you...

"Tabloid editors would not treat virginity as a tittllating topic if it had not long ago been invested with moral significance by various religious traditions, who provided strong support to the idea that women should be virgins when they marry so that men of substance could be certain they were going to be the fathers of the children destined to inherit their proprty. Vurginity until marriagehas been a necessity for women in many dispensatations, its absence incurring harcsh punishments - the death penalty, or at least shame and ostracism. In some traditions today the barbaric act of infibulating girls, as a way of ensuring virginity still continues.

If the practical reason for enjoying female virginity was once inheritance, the metaphysical reason was that the soul, akin to air and heaven, is pure, but the body, akin to earth and passion, is impure; thus sexuality is dirty, chastity is clean.

...Rome's Vestal Virgins were put to death if they lost their virginity, such was their importance in tending the sacred flame in the Temple if Vesta. The manner of execution was live burial. there were six in all, selected from patrician families before the age of ten and commited to thirty years of virginity thereafter. If challenged they had to prover their virginity by carrying water in a sieve from the River Tiber - easy to do if they remembered to grease the sieve first (and they knew enough colloid chemistry to do it).

They also knew that virginity and chastity are not the same thing; a woman can enjoy a flurishing sex life in other ways. The christian ideal of marriage likewise recognised that a woman might not be married and therefore not a virgin, but that she could still be chaste, in the sense that although she had relations whit her husband she need not enjoy them - indeed, said the priests, unclean thoughts or feelings during sex were deemed likely yo cause deformitites in a child then conceived.

As this shows, what underlies talk of virginity is a profound and often hidden moral angst about purity and poolution - and therefore also sentiments of temptation and desire. If out religions had decided that ears or wisdom teeth were spiritually significant, we should feel the same anxirties regarding them as with they hymen; and moral concern would be devoted to them instead."

I was just wondering if anybody had any views on virginity? Does it mean lot to you, or is it nothing!

I would love to be a sex therapist!

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...
Beevers_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:09 AM   #81
audity
High-Five Eskimo

Any nicknames for uh, uh, them?

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:16 AM   #82
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

Wow, old post ressuracted, from when I wasn't even here.

I have to say 2 things:

1: Sex to me is overated
1: I could go through my whole life not having sex, and I wouldn't care. I'd rather have a hug than hours of hot sex. I am more atracted to people from inside. Sex doesn't intrest me. There is a poet that comes to my open mic, she's overweight, and not "hot" in anyway, but I am atracted to her. Why? Because she has a such a beautiful soul. I also feel so sad for her with what she is going through right now. She tried to kill herself last night, and was just crying today at Open-Mic. I sat there and hugged her, and stayed with her, sharing her with my experience with suicidal thoughts.

Go have sex, whatever, I'd rather play guitar and cuddle with someone I really care for. (I didn't mean that as an insult to people who want to have sex, just that's me.)
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #83
Beevers_uk

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

Yeah i know what you mean ^. I love to kiss, i think its better then sex sometimes! I love kissing a woman, it sooo sooo nice!

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 03-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #84
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

i love kissing a woman, too
Old 03-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #85
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

beevers you always dig up the best old threads

personally i've always thought the theory of the oedipus complex (well all freud's theories actually) was bollox because the crux of it revolves around penis envy..

karen horney (don't snicker!) proposed an alternate theory called "womb envy" where by men actually envy women their procreative power, so compensate for their lack of a womb by aggressive and dominating behaviors
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:25 PM   #86
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetzirah
i love kissing a woman, too
me too, we're more gentle and softer
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:48 PM   #87
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
me too, we're more gentle and softer
That's actually true...
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:41 PM   #88
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

I'm HOOOORRRNNNNNNYYYYY hahaha. it's a sexy thread! i'm definately embrasing it!

i concur with those above who find kissing better than sex. actually, i don't know if it's better... it's just more intimate!

kissing is unnecessary. sex is a natural instinct... kissing is more intimate because you chose to do it because of emotional reasons.

it's hard to join sexual and emotional attraction to the same person sometimes. because there are many towards whom i feel one and not the other.

i used to say i'd never make a girl give me oral. as if my sexual satisfaction would degrade one who i thought to be beatiful, their untouched, untainted elegance. i would reduce her from what i saw as a light above me to something bellow me, who i had manipulated for sexual ends.

but it can be romantic(as i have learnt), i think the sharing of nudity and sexuality is an amazing act of love, u unleash a delicate yet volatile part of urself which is hidden to the public to someone, and when they except it, it's as if nothing else matters.

Sex is still seen as a bad thing. I can't help but consider it dirty when someone makes sexual comments in public. So i guess it's me in the wrong.
Actually, i think it should be more private but less dirty.

huzzaa for my friend! - mr. penis
Old 03-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #89
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

i don't think sex is a bad thing at all. it can be quite enjoyable sometimes. i love to have good sex and i can't imagine having a lasting relationship, where i can't get satisfied. even if the person himself is the most lovely of all.

and i love kissing. i love physical contact in general with ppl i like. i love a nice hug and everything.

i once heard that the kiss itself comes form kinda the stoneage or so. there, the older ppl like the grandmother or the mother chew the food for the children, who could bite good enough yet or who had to develop the right digestion (when it is not quite build up yet with all the enzymes and so on) and pass it on to them then via mouth to mouth. kind of. that was somehow what i heard.

what pisses me off from time to time is that many people still are of the opinion that it is right for a man to have several women in a short time but not for a woman. i mean, that doesn't mean that i do it but still. i don't see why there should be made a difference.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #90
Beevers_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinBoy
I'm HOOOORRRNNNNNNYYYYY hahaha. it's a sexy thread! i'm definately embrasing it!

Quote:
i used to say i'd never make a girl give me oral. as if my sexual satisfaction would degrade one who i thought to be beatiful, their untouched, untainted elegance. i would reduce her from what i saw as a light above me to something bellow me, who i had manipulated for sexual ends.
I never thought about it that way!

I've always just though of giving oral sex, as making my partner happier, or more satisfied! If that means just "Fingering" them, or giveing them "Oral Sex" i would prefare to do it! Aslong as they are satisfied, and its just not me!

Quote:
but it can be romantic(as i have learnt), i think the sharing of nudity and sexuality is an amazing act of love, u unleash a delicate yet volatile part of urself which is hidden to the public to someone, and when they except it, it's as if nothing else matters.
God yeah. I loveeeeeeeeeee having showers/baths with my "lover" or partner, they are soo sooo sooo sooo sooo sooo sooo sooo sooo soooo ohhh sooo nice!! And i love being naked, im not ashamed of my body!

Quote:
Sex is still seen as a bad thing. I can't help but consider it dirty when someone makes sexual comments in public. So i guess it's me in the wrong.
Actually, i think it should be more private but less dirty.
Aghhh i know what you mean, but i love talking about sex openly! But i agree not in Public, where it could be not sitable!

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...