Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 04-07-2015, 06:15 AM   #61
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Some observations/opinions (not necessarily revolutionary or universally felt) from the aftershow hangout:

1) He has a pretty "pimped out" ride, kind of a bus limo. Probably better than most of our homes. Someone who could see inside the window said it seemed like a southwestern tile backsplash (I'm sure that it came with the bus) and bananas on the counter (I don't know why I find details like this interesting, but I do). "Someone" (we adore) was bold enough to say I wouldn't think you would have something like this. Damien said it's necessary to tour in the US, unless you take an airplane. It’s probably very comfortable between back to back shows hundreds of miles apart (but it WAS ostentatious, IMO).

2) Glen exudes warmth and is so comfortable around people. He kind of works the room/sidewalk. He has a lot of emotional intelligence, I think. He was almost fatherly/big brotherly with Damien. Damien was nice to everyone, but seemed more socially awkward and uncomfortable even with an adept wingman. He doesn't need "game" though, because ladies love a brooding, dark fella...

3) Damien has exceptionally kind eyes (you can sometimes tell in photos, but this is very apparent in real life).

4) I might donate an organ to charity, if he sang Camarillas in Philly or in Prospect Park! It's so honest (and ugly), but I love it. I suspect that he didn't want to release it (and that's why we didn't get it right away). I don't know if he will ever sing it live.

5) I have much more to say about his new outlook on life. It would really be nice to see it reflected in new music. It would just be great to have philosophical discussions with him (I'm sure I'm not alone in this dream) and challenge his perspectives a bit more. I think MFFF is more of a life transition album. I always have poster's remorse, so I'll just leave it at that.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #62
carrroline
person

^

1. Maybe there's someone traveling with him that he wants to impress

3. it's true! (I was lucky enough to gaze into them for a couple of seconds once — swoon )

4. I don't think he will… the song doesn't fit with the whole 'I'm a different person now and I've moved on'-theme (and that's exactly why i love it )

Last edited by carrroline; 04-07-2015 at 10:48 AM.
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #63
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationDestination View Post
Some observations/opinions (not necessarily revolutionary or universally felt) from the aftershow hangout:

1) He has a pretty "pimped out" ride, kind of a bus limo. Probably better than most of our homes. Someone who could see inside the window said it seemed like a southwestern tile backsplash (I'm sure that it came with the bus) and bananas on the counter (I don't know why I find details like this interesting, but I do). "Someone" (we adore) was bold enough to say I wouldn't think you would have something like this. Damien said it's necessary to tour in the US, unless you take an airplane. It’s probably very comfortable between back to back shows hundreds of miles apart (but it WAS ostentatious, IMO).

2) Glen exudes warmth and is so comfortable around people. He kind of works the room/sidewalk. He has a lot of emotional intelligence, I think. He was almost fatherly/big brotherly with Damien. Damien was nice to everyone, but seemed more socially awkward and uncomfortable even with an adept wingman. He doesn't need "game" though, because ladies love a brooding, dark fella...

3) Damien has exceptionally kind eyes (you can sometimes tell in photos, but this is very apparent in real life).

4) I might donate an organ to charity, if he sang Camarillas in Philly or in Prospect Park! It's so honest (and ugly), but I love it. I suspect that he didn't want to release it (and that's why we didn't get it right away). I don't know if he will ever sing it live.

5) I have much more to say about his new outlook on life. It would really be nice to see it reflected in new music. It would just be great to have philosophical discussions with him (I'm sure I'm not alone in this dream) and challenge his perspectives a bit more. I think MFFF is more of a life transition album. I always have poster's remorse, so I'll just leave it at that.
Some observations about your observations (if I may be so bold!):

1) I love how attentive your post is to these details, I think it's awesome! I also notice a lot of similar things, but don't articulate them so wonderfully!

2) Was it a tour bus, or a pimped out airport shuttle type of thing? You said limo-bus which sounds like not a tour bus, so I'm curious

3) Did you tell Damien you'd donate an organ to hear that song? I'd be curious what his reaction was - he is a do-gooder, so maybe the organ donation would make it happen?

4) I love the image of Glen as kind of big-brotherly to Damien. What an interesting relationship history they have. Love that.

5) Re: Damien's outlook on life... I have to be honest that though I've been a fan of Damien's for 11 years, I haven't followed his interviews and banter much at all, so I don't know what he USED to say at shows. But I was frankly BLOWN AWAY by his observations and comments at the DC show about relationships and especially when he introduced "Maybe I'm Wrong". He is a very sage man, maybe he always was but he's clearly come a long way. AND... at the same time... he's clearly still "in the struggle", he's clearly still human and subject to complex emotions, as we all are. Yes, a long discussion about his lessons learned, over a bottle (or 80) of red wine would be amazing.

Thanks for sharing your observations! Why do you have poster's remorse??
Old 04-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #64
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Surrender View Post
5) Re: Damien's outlook on life... I have to be honest that though I've been a fan of Damien's for 11 years, I haven't followed his interviews and banter much at all, so I don't know what he USED to say at shows. But I was frankly BLOWN AWAY by his observations and comments at the DC show about relationships and especially when he introduced "Maybe I'm Wrong". He is a very sage man, maybe he always was but he's clearly come a long way. AND... at the same time... he's clearly still "in the struggle", he's clearly still human and subject to complex emotions, as we all are. Yes, a long discussion about his lessons learned, over a bottle (or 80) of red wine would be amazing.
can i join? i love red wine and i could even bring a few bottles of good malbec

it´s me trying to say that i really enjoy reading your comments guys and i love the interaction
Old 04-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #65
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Absolutely Verenita, the more the merrier - especially if you're bringing a bottle!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #66
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

let´s request camarillas, he´s not gonna play it if people don´t ask
Old 04-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #67
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Absolutely Verenita, the more the merrier - especially if you're bringing a bottle!
now, we have to bring the man over
Old 04-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #68
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post

if someone can make it happen, that´s you marti i hope you get some luck tonight!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:02 AM   #69
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
2) Was it a tour bus, or a pimped out airport shuttle type of thing? You said limo-bus which sounds like not a tour bus, so I'm curious
It was a bonafide bus. Not an airport shuttle or party bus, but a mansion on wheels. I would venture to guess it may have been something like this on the inside:
http://www.celebritycoaches.com/coaches.asp?id=28

Quote:
3) Did you tell Damien you'd donate an organ to hear that song? I'd be curious what his reaction was - he is a do-gooder, so maybe the organ donation would make it happen?
I'm not a concert screamer, but sometimes I whisper song titles loudly hoping he will hear. The loudest I have ever been was at the 2nd Box show (after my 3-day Damien high). I can hear myself and cringe at the thought of being so bold.

Quiet conversations over any beverage, preferably alcoholic, are more my speed. Couldn't even talk to or hug Damien and Glen after the Beacon because there were too many people around. Just quirky and private.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:04 AM   #70
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
Camarillas AND Insane!! 2 songs in a dream setlist.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:33 AM   #71
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
I'm not a concert screamer, but sometimes I whisper song titles loudly hoping he will hear. The loudest I have ever been was at the 2nd Box show (after my 3-day Damien high). I can hear myself and cringe at the thought of being so bold.

Quiet conversations over any beverage, preferably alcoholic, are more my speed. Couldn't even talk to or hug Damien and Glen after the Beacon because there were too many people around. Just quirky and private.
Makes sense, it is highly highly frustrating to have all those interesting (to us, anyway) thoughts in one's head and have only a few minutes of their time that has to be divided between 10-30 other people. The most ironic part is, I'm guessing people like Damien and Glen love all of their fans, but they'd probably rather have those quiet long conversations than just all of us yelling at once how much we love them and how they've changed/saved our lives. Not taking away anything from those comments - what artist doesn't want to hear they've made a difference to their fans? But I once had a rare chance to say something to another artist that means a lot to me and has a zillion fans who say he saved their lives. When I had my brief opportunity, I said something that mattered to me, one of these observations about him and it stopped him in his tracks. 2 yrs later I got to see him again, and the first thing he said was "That meant so much to me". It is an incredible gift to know that you said something meaningful to someone who is constantly told how meaningful he is.

Those observations, and questions, and philosophical "push backs"... those are amazing, and actually really rare from fans because fans usually won't go there. But I've had nothing but good experiences from going there, the times I've been able to.

I don't know you, but somehow I'm guessing Damien would appreciate even just a little of your thoughts if you shared. Hard to do on the sidewalk at 1:00am after a gig I know, but think about it... you never know when you might have that chance again.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:37 AM   #72
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

As for the tourbus, that is what band buses look like these days. I'm curious what you guys thought he would travel in? When I saw him last ('05ish maybe?) they had a bus, though buses have gotten much swankier in the 10 yrs since then.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:01 AM   #73
blindmelonade
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
As for the tourbus, that is what band buses look like these days. I'm curious what you guys thought he would travel in? When I saw him last ('05ish maybe?) they had a bus, though buses have gotten much swankier in the 10 yrs since then.
I was going to say this... I really can't imagine something he could travel in with crew and probably the opening act around the country that is more modest.

It is a really nice bus, but it's probably not something he bought. And most acts nowadays have 3 or 4 of these at their disposal.
blindmelonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:26 AM   #74
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmelonade View Post
I was going to say this... I really can't imagine something he could travel in with crew and probably the opening act around the country that is more modest.

It is a really nice bus, but it's probably not something he bought. And most acts nowadays have 3 or 4 of these at their disposal.
True, artists almost never buy these. By the time they do their next tour, the bus they used last time is already "out of date", although up and coming bands would kill for last year's models
Old 04-08-2015, 02:49 AM   #75
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I’ve seen these tour buses before, so I wasn’t surprised at the swankiness of it. I think the dichotomy of living simply/purely and being able to live with "more" is a struggle for anyone who comes from modest means.

I've been voraciously reading things about him for years. I think at one point he said something like now that he has money, he wants to live as simply as possible. I’ve always imagined that having money would make you want less “things” because the stress of not having “stuff” is gone.

Recently, he has introduced Trusty & True with the Mercedes story and wanting to scratch it when he was younger because he thought certain things were right or wrong. I think it’s an illustration of having some sort of peace with his success and being comfortable with being comfortable.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:58 AM   #76
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

All that you say makes perfect sense! I haven't read much about him, ever, so I guess I was surprised by just how much great insight he shared. Doesn't surprise me he has the insight, I just didn't know he talked about it outside of lyrics so much. I'm way out of the loop as you can all tell!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:14 AM   #77
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I didn't expect it, but I think sometimes I imagine something like Daniel Norris. It's a long article, but this guy is fascinating. He's only 21 and may think differently when he's in his 40s. Not a huge baseball fan and definitely not a hippie, but this feels free...
How I imagine innocent Damien in his busking days...
Old 04-08-2015, 05:23 AM   #78
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

That guy's van looks like my car!

But I think when you have 6 or 7 people you have to move around for weeks/months, and you spend long nights driving, you need comfort (if you can afford it), and you need space to stretch out and not always be up each other's noses. I've never been in a band but I've travelled with a couple just for a day or 2 here and there, and even on those nice buses, I always walk away thinking "No WAY I could ever do that, even if I liked the people! Claustrophobia for sure!"

I think that guy's van is cool, but the reality of spending that much time with that many other people and wanting to be in the right headspace for your show... I don't think the van works very well. All the bands I know who did the van thing for weeks or months always looked like "Walking Dead" extras by the end of the tour. It is pretty exhausting and uncomfortable.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:34 AM   #79
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

^definitely agree. And, why would you if you didn't have to. He's doing shows back to back. And, Norris doesn't do this during the season, with people. This van is for solo use. Plus, no hot showers? Hygiene is important!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #80
stevefox42
Eskimo Regular

A bit off topic but just curious if merch was for sale at the show? I'm going to philly tonight and was hoping he would have some tasty murch to purch
stevefox42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #81
JasonBono
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefox42 View Post
A bit off topic but just curious if merch was for sale at the show? I'm going to philly tonight and was hoping he would have some tasty murch to purch
Merch was dissapointing actually, two totes and his albums, thats all.

Was hoping to get a shirt for myself, no such luck.
JasonBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:06 PM   #82
stevefox42
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBono View Post
Merch was dissapointing actually, two totes and his albums, thats all.

Was hoping to get a shirt for myself, no such luck.
Bummer. I already have those. I'm hoping for a T also. Thanks for the heads up.
stevefox42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #83
melodie
mmm bop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerennie View Post
Holy crap.

Waited out back for over an hour. Damien and Glen came out an sang auld triangle and then talked to us for like 15 minutes. Hugs for everyone. Amazing.

Will post more tomorrow.

What a show.
ahhh, i know i shouldn't complain considering the treat we got in montreal last year, but i would give anything for something like this to happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
When he introduced Glen during the encore, he said that he had two heroes as a teenager. One was Leonard Cohen, and the other was only a few years older than he was. Cohen couldn't be there, but Glen could. It was a very sweet moment. They were obviously in great spirits, even after the show. They just came out and sang The Auld Triangle to us, with Glen prompting Damien on which verses to sing (obviously he's learned the lyrics since the Warsaw gig!). They were very friendly and patient with everyone, shaking hands, smiling, hugging, listening and engaging.
awww, i love this so much. glad you got to be there!

Quote:

having briefly met both, i completely agree with this.

thanks everyone for the photos and videos and stories. i'll return the favour after tomorrow's show in montreal!
melodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #84
damien lisa
am i breaking u

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien lisa View Post

i can't figure out "u keep digging, u keep digging" and the last 3 lines
oh now he sing those lines, breath taking