Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-01-2003, 03:08 AM   #1
farwellbooth
Eskimo Friend

Anyone going from this board? Can't wait!!!!
farwellbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:31 AM   #2
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Enjoy it and don't forget to tell us all about it. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:07 AM   #3
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Hey I am going, I am so excited... Coming in from Washington, but a Portland native...cheers
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 03:32 AM   #4
Professor
Eskimo Baby

I just returned from the 10/01 Portland show...the show was brilliant as expected! I arrived early since I had never been the Aladdin Theater before. I drove through the ally behind the theater where the tour bus was parked and saw Damien walking toward the door carrying his guitar. I parked my car about a block away and walked back to the ally hoping for another glimpse of Damien. SURPRISE! He was sitting on the curb in front of the tour bus eating some teriyaki! I asked if he had ever heard Gary Lightbody from "Snow Patrol" doing his version of "The Blowers Daughter" and he said he had not but would like to hear it. I had it on my iPod so Damien listened to it and then ran into the theater to get his Apple Powerbook. He tried for about 10 minutes to upload the song from my iPod onto his computer but wasn't able to get it to work. I told him I would email it to him. We chatted for about 20 minutes about shows...music...computers etc. He even mentioned "EskimoFriends.com" While we were sitting on the curb...Vyvienne, Shane, and Tomo all walked by milling about. Damien was so appoachable and down to earth.
Meeting Damien one on one...seeing an amazing show....I have to say this was one of the best concert experiences I've had in my life. I'm now looking forward to the November show in San Francisco at the Filmore. Edited by: Professor
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 11:45 AM   #5
farwellbooth
Eskimo Friend

I was expecting greatness and received much more... If I had to choose one word to summarize I'd say dynamic. Dyanamic Damien the bandis soooooo diverse. He sang without a mic nor a mic on his guitar for a song, absolutely blew the roof off with "Woman Like a Man" singing in a second mike with distortion. Standard "O" ballads, interesting looping in various songs, he sang in French and Spanish, I really can't think of anything this guy didn't do. Vyvienne playing "Purple Haze" on here cello? Smokin'!!!!!!!! The audience kept yelling "Cannonball" so the band members were joking back and forth saying "Cannonball Cannonball" in a high pitched voice. Damien looped it and they busted into a improvised freestyle of Cannonball and then came in with the standard version. It takes a lot of talent to engage a large group that's sitting down and they did it w/o any fancy lighting etc. Exceptional talent all for twelve dollars and fifty cents! I still can't believe it. Go see Damien. Fly, drive whatever you gotta do. Check this out before it gets too big and less intimate b/c it's gonna be huge.
farwellbooth is offline   Reply With Quote