Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 12-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #91
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephantgirl
The same people behind us earlier on in the show were asked by one man of their group if they had all bought "9" yet. They all said no, not yet. This was completely annoying! Why pay money, and why take up seats, that I am sure someone who does have "9", wants to have? It seems completely disprespectful to me. However, it is their perogative to come to one of his concerts, though they do not know half of his creativity.
i also think this comment is absurd as the reason damien rice pondered a South American tour was because he wanted people who hadn't heard him before to give a listen did he not???

perhaps the whole idea, elephantgirl, is that it would be a wonderful experience to endure all his creativity in one show instead of a pile of bootlegs that may become meaningless to some people in the end.
the "damien burnout syndrome" is a living example.,

Tim (welcome by the way)
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:56 AM   #92
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by minncognito
from a little research, it looks like it's a cover of a Nick Drake song, Courting Blues:

Courting Blues

Green are your eyes
In the morning, when you rise
Don't you be afraid to lie
By me, my love
Your father will not know

Love can be broken
Though no words are spoken
By me, my love

Love, don't cry
I`ll never try
By me, my love

Green are your eyes
In the morning, when you rise
By me, my love
Your father will be told someday
About our wedding day(?)
nice detective work, thank you!

and welcome to you and all of you other first time posters in this thread, i was excited and forgot my manners

Quote:
On to a different note, I found his sense of humor delightful. I was also surprised by the huge, vastly bright lights that would sporadically glare the audience. At first, I think many people were disconcerted and maybe even annoyed with the intensity. I was kind of startled at first! But after that, I began to prepare myself for it to happen again, as it did.
this light thing keeps coming up.. maybe i'm just a child of 70's arena rock but when the band threw bright spots on the audience that was always seen as a positive, energizing thing. like they wanted to see you and involve you in the show, and people usually responded by cheering and going nuts.. not by becoming annoyed..
i'm glad you and your sister enjoyed the show!

it's been a week and i keep reliving the show and i forgot to mention again - standing ovation two actually, one before the encore and again at the end

Last edited by SisterMidnight; 12-28-2006 at 02:59 AM.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #93
SpaceCadet
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktmpls
I believe someone listed that song as 'Green Eyes'-perhaps the Coldplay cover-but it definitely was not that song. The lyrics of the chorus were along the lines of 'your father will not mourn for you.' Something like that.
I think it's a cover of a Marianne Faithful song titled "Green Are Your Eyes," off her album, North Country Maid, released in 1966. Not sure when Nick's "Courting Blues" came out, though, I think his debut album wasn't until 1969. However, there's another guy whom the song is credited to by the name of Bert Jansch. I wonder who was the original. Any other internet savvy sleuths?

Last edited by SpaceCadet; 12-28-2006 at 05:20 PM.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #94
Elephantgirl
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez 4
Sorry, but this is completely absurd. I had not yet bought "9" when I went to the 2 shows in Chicago and it made the experience that much more enjoyable. Does that mean I don't deserve to go to the comcert? I love the entire "O" album but I was glad he played a lot of his new material also. It made the shows fresh and unpredictable. Now that I have the new album, I realize how much better these songs are live than on the album. I'm so glad I "took up seats" at those shows. 12/19 was one of the best concerts (any artist) I have ever been to.

Perhaps I was just hoping that the people around me would be as obsessed with him as I am! But after reading your comment, I can see where you are coming from. I do think you deserve to go to the concert. I see a different view now. I do agree with you - the songs are definitely better live than on the album.
Elephantgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:45 PM   #95
Elephantgirl
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
nice detective work, thank you!

and welcome to you and all of you other first time posters in this thread, i was excited and forgot my manners

this light thing keeps coming up.. maybe i'm just a child of 70's arena rock but when the band threw bright spots on the audience that was always seen as a positive, energizing thing. like they wanted to see you and involve you in the show, and people usually responded by cheering and going nuts.. not by becoming annoyed..
i'm glad you and your sister enjoyed the show!

it's been a week and i keep reliving the show and i forgot to mention again - standing ovation two actually, one before the encore and again at the end

Hello! I am not saying that I was annoyed. But people around me certainly did look it! I have never been to an indoor concert, and the outdoor ones I have been to never had the lights shining directly at the audience. It was a whole new experience to me!
Elephantgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:20 PM   #96
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Hello! I am not saying that I was annoyed. But people around me certainly did look it! I have never been to an indoor concert, and the outdoor ones I have been to never had the lights shining directly at the audience. It was a whole new experience to me!
no i know, i didn't mean you. i saw the annoyed looks too and there were other comments about it on this tour..

and i know exactly what you mean about sitting by people who aren't into it (or as into it) because i always seem to get stuck sitting by those people, and quite franky it kind of puts a damper on the experience.. the guy next to me actually plugged his ears during me, my yoke and i

i thought it was cool when the girl sitting front and center in front of damien got to her feet she was so into it, no one else really did that.. i honestly prefer general seating and floor standing gigs, it lends itself to more enthusiasm from the audience in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
I think it's a cover of a Marianne Faithful song titled "Green Are Your Eyes," off her album, North Country Maid, released in 1966. Not sure when Nick's "Courting Blues" came out, though, I think his debut album wasn't until 1969. However, there's another guy whom the song is credited to by the name of Bert Jansch. I wonder who was the original. Any other internet savvy sleuths?
ooh it's a mystery..
Old 12-28-2006, 11:42 PM   #97
JustAGirl
Eskimo Baby

Quote:

It was written by Bert Jansch.
JustAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:03 AM   #98
minncognito
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
nein, mein frond, it is the Nick Drake song

i'm listening to the fair Lisa sing it, from the 12/8 LA gig, and following along.

thank you to who recorded that show, great quality! too bad it's flac, though
i needed to fire up a winamp install for that : / haha
minncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:43 PM   #99
SpaceCadet
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
nein, mein frond, it is the Nick Drake song

i'm listening to the fair Lisa sing it, from the 12/8 LA gig, and following along.
Are you sure? They both have the same lyrics! Ahhh! How do you know?
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #100
yankphin21
Eskimo Friend

Quote:

thank you to who recorded that show, great quality! too bad it's flac, though
i needed to fire up a winamp install for that : / haha

where's the recording?
yankphin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:03 AM   #101
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankphin21
where's the recording?
he (she?) is talking about the show from 12/8 that AllThatLies recorded in LA

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=12460

winamp kicks windows media player's ass btw.. and who the heck is bert jansch??
Old 12-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #102
yankphin21
Eskimo Friend

oh yea thanks. I should have seen that. I still have that recording if anyone wants to give it a go.
yankphin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:23 AM   #103
samuelle
care bear stare!

Quote:
and who the heck is bert jansch??
he's pretty excellent, especially for people who like more traditional folk music. he's been putting out albums since the 60s and he just put out a new one last year.

here's a link to download what i think is the best track off his newest album:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...0D6F8079FE3D4D

just a side note...
Old 01-08-2007, 03:47 AM   #104
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelle
he's pretty excellent, especially for people who like more traditional folk music. he's been putting out albums since the 60s and he just put out a new one last year.

here's a link to download what i think is the best track off his newest album:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...0D6F8079FE3D4D

just a side note...
thanks samuelle, i really like that song! you're right he is pretty excellent, i can't believe i've never heard of him before.. anyway i looked him up and 'courting blues' was on his first album released in 1965, so i'd say he's the original author like justagirl said..
Old 01-10-2007, 12:03 AM   #105
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
The same people behind us earlier on in the show were asked by one man of their group if they had all bought "9" yet. They all said no, not yet. This was completely annoying! Why pay money, and why take up seats, that I am sure someone who does have "9", wants to have? It seems completely disprespectful to me. However, it is their perogative to come to one of his concerts, though they do not know half of his creativity.
I saw four shows on this tour, and have not paid for 9, nor will I. I'm disrespectful?
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:03 AM   #106
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Owwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! I really thought Green Eyes was a Lisa original... Just read the original is in the soundtrack for The Squid and the Whale...
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #107
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
have not paid for 9, nor will I.
why not?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #108
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
why not?
Because he didn't say he doesn't already have it.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:51 AM   #109
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Indeed.

I procured the album back in October. Then, I didn't buy it thinking that at the Hiro show they may be selling it and signing the copies the sell after the show, as artists often do. But I don't believe they even sold merch that night.

Then I realized that I just didn't care about having a hard version of it, and I won't ever listen to it, so I'm not bothering.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:06 AM   #110
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

you're not the first person i've heard say that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankphin21
oh yea thanks. I should have seen that. I still have that recording if anyone wants to give it a go.
what's the status on the recording? i wouldn't mind having an audio memento
Old 01-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #111
ManOfLetters
Eskimo Baby

does anyone have any recordings of this show?

specifically rootless tree?

thanks.
ManOfLetters is offline   Reply With Quote