Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 12-16-2003, 10:10 AM   #31
cartman
Eskimo Regular

the guy i sold my tickets to videotaped it...

spose to have came out very well he was near the stage
Old 12-16-2003, 10:43 AM   #32
administrator
forum administrator

i thought it was an amazing gig. highlights included david arnold joining them on stage the last hour or so. they even played "play dead" by bjork. they also did "kids song" by mic christopher. bits of other cover versions that i remember... david gray's "babylon", "hallelujah", "purple haze", "seven nation army", "glory box" by portishead", and more i can't remember. they played every song from "o" i think and some others like the professor and "woman like a man" and "the blower's daughter part two". "cold water" and "amie" were even more fantastic than usual. at the end of amie damien had fun with his distortion pedal and he sat down staring up at the ceiling as he made spaceship noises and all the lights were dimmed and i was half-expecting a spaceship to appear... i thought joel shearer and pedestrian were great. and damien said they will be playing some dates in ireland in february. the other support act, lucas from galway", were joined by lisa on stage for one song. she sing backing vocals on it on their new cd apparently. two hours and forty five minutes of great music!

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:08 AM   #33
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Maybe emmett recorded the gig?[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2003, 11:10 AM   #34
administrator
forum administrator

nope... sorry... maybe someone else?

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:14 AM   #35
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Guess we'll just have to hunt down and kill whoever did record it[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2003, 11:25 AM   #36
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Thats are Fifi, always a little over the top!! Theres no need to kill him! Just break his legs!!</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 12:14 PM   #37
Ian.
Eskimo Baby

there was a guy on the top teir, right in the middle (deadly view) with a camcorder on a tripod, looking kinda professional. i wonder was that a vicar st. guy, or a Damien Rice guy, and will it be available.maybe thats your mate, cartman? the camera was digital so the quality should be good. my friend claire was snapping away with her camera all night. it aint digital but it has a massive zoom and a brighter than normal flash, so hopefully they'll be good.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:53 PM   #38
Scrappy
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman

the guy i sold my tickets to videotaped it...

spose to have came out very well he was near the stage

ya, that was me.. it was filmed with a 'mini dv' camera for the first hour, then my battery failed

the camera was mainly focused on damien to follow his chord progression for each song

im not back in college until february so unfortunately i won't be able to upload it until then for you guys

Old 12-16-2003, 03:51 PM   #39
lisakay20
Eskimo Baby

gig was absolutely amazing, best yet, was completley sucked in for the whole 3or so hours that the lads played!! Damo really looked like he was enjoying himself!! thought the crowd were really attentive, great atmosphere, jus cant wait 2c him again- roll on Damo n Friends!!!
lisakay20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #40
eskimo_friendly
Eskimo Regular

I couldn't believe it when Damien came back on after saying goodbye, and STAYED on for another hour!
It became a surreal experience during the last half-hour. It was so soulful and sensual. I was ecstatic when they finally played Eskimo and I Remember. I thought they had decided to leave them out! They're two of the best.

I'm pretty upset that the gig wasn't recorded for DVD because it was a truly amazing experience. Does anyone know it was recorded? I'm guessing it wasn't. It should have been.

Ok Damien, so you ARE only some f**king guy. But when that f**king guy gets together with those other 4 f**king people, some of the most beautiful, inspiring, exciting & soulful music I have ever heard of in my life is produced.

Last night was one of the the best nights of my life.
</font>
eskimo_friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:31 PM   #41
Bumpman

it was bloody torture y'know, you were there, i was sweeping... SWEEPING, so i'd like to hear someone say "oh yeah sure, i have the master tapes, they'll be on the ftp's & the web in no time"... sorry for the rage filled complaints... i WAS sweeping after all.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:43 PM   #42
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Did you get much sweeping done???[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] </font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:02 AM   #43
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

The only thing I'm interested in who recorded that gig.

Uno- X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:43 AM   #44
Angela
Eskimo Regular

There was someone on the official board, but that recording is missing the last half an hour or something.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:18 AM   #45
mysterytramp
Eskimo Baby

I seen people following Damien around with video cameras before the gig when he was outside with people all around him. There was this Glen Hansard looking with ginger hair and a beard and there was a girl. They were then walking around filming the gig occasionally stopping in front of me (I was sitting to the left of the stage).
Old 12-17-2003, 09:49 AM   #46
spudy
Potato masher

I have a pretty good recording of the whole gig if anyone wants to trade?????

email: spudy@fotki.com
Old 12-17-2003, 12:01 PM   #47
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeweller
i heard people saying they were yawning towards the end and just wanted to go home... most people said the olympia gig on the 7th was still better...

It wasn't. I was at both, and while his birthday gig was fantastic, Vicar Street was something very very special. Can't see him ever staying on the stage for another 2 hours 45 mins . . anywhere . . ever. Just an amazing night.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:17 PM   #48
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Thanks Kitten, I really prefer when people don't compare gigs. I think they should all just stand on there own[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Cheers...Edited by: jbalogh

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:17 PM   #49
Scon
Eskimo Regular

Emmett, I actually saw you that night. I was right above you in the front of the balcony (by the stage), so couldn't pop down. You seemed to be enjoying yourself [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

The people using the cameras and wearing the headphones were recording on behalf of Damien, not for themselves.
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:50 PM   #50
loveonautocue
Eskimo Baby

i'd a balcony seat but jedi mind tricked the bouncer into letting me downstairs so gwen and i sat on the right of the stage about five rows back. had a fantastic view and couldn't believe the amount of people taking photos - was kicking myself 'cause i still had my camera all set up with telephoto lens and 1600 film *at home* from the thrills gig at whelans a week or two ago. i'd assumed they'd be confiscating cameras on entry as often vicar street is pretty strict. ahh well, nevermind!

i have to be honest, i was completely dreading the gig for weeks beforehand. it wasn't as bad as i feared it might be, but i wasn't blown away either. i'll probably end up writing a review at some stage because i've mixed feelings about it even now a few days later. i don't in any way want to imply it wasn't a fantastic show because it was, but i just didn't enjoy it as much as i've done others. sorry to those who hate comparisons with other gigs! but that's the truth :/

some parts were genius: seven nation army on the cello, the bjork song, even 'prague' was suprisingly enjoyable but on the whole i think i'd just seen it all before once too often to really get the buzz. the second support act - pedestrian - definitely have potential though, would like to see them again in a year or so and see how they've progressed. all in all, damien's done incredibly well for himself as we always knew he would, and long may it continue. i'm just not sure if i'll be in the audience again until the next album comes out... maybe give some other fan who's not as biased and jaded and cynical or a pain in the ass a chance to see him ;D
loveonautocue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:38 PM   #51
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveonautocue
i'm just not sure if i'll be in the audience again until the next album comes out... maybe give some other fan who's not as biased and jaded and cynical or a pain in the ass a chance to see him ;D

thats my reason for not going but im slightly regretting it now... just has been the same experience the last 2-3 times... its a great experience but ive seen it too many times for it to be magic anymore...

next album ill go all the dates, i swear[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:25 AM   #52
Scon
Eskimo Regular

Yeh Aisling, I actually noticed you got downstairs (somehow spotted you across the other side of the venue). I was very happy by the stage though, so I wasn't even going to try getting downstairs.
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:08 PM   #53
loveonautocue
Eskimo Baby

hehe... yeah it was a simple matter of

me:"*waving ticket* do i really have to go upstairs?"
bouncer:"yes"
me:"do i really have to go upstairs?"
bouncer:"yes!"
me:"but do i *really* have to go upstairs?"
bouncer:"ahhh go on then...*let me through*"

i'm getting shockingly cheeky these days.

and yeah jeweller i'm with you on that philosophy! rock on... x.... or y... or z... or whatever 'the angry album' is going to be called....
loveonautocue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:21 PM   #54
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveonautocue
me:"*waving ticket* do i really have to go upstairs?"
bouncer:"yes"
me:"do i really have to go upstairs?"
bouncer:"yes!"
me:"but do i *really* have to go upstairs?"
bouncer:"ahhh go on then...*let me through*"
Dealing with bouncers is like staring down your cat. [img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 04:17 AM   #55
marina
Eskimo Regular

hey guys the best gig ive ever been to!! im still in awe of lisa and vivian, lisa's voice...amazing!!

hey emmett....you didn't happen to be wearing a cream cardi and sitting with a guy with a stripe shirt?and just slightly to the left of the stage (i wasn't stalking i swear!!)i was 99% certain it was you but couldn't gather up the courage to go over [img]smileys/smiley12.gif[/img]

and ian, i was sitting right behind you!! i remember a few people coming and sitting in front of us and going hey i told you that was lisa out in the bar, my god shes gorgeous (or something along the lines of that!).
Old 12-19-2003, 05:28 AM   #56
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

[quote=marina]

hey emmett....you didn't happen to be wearing a cream cardi and sitting with a guy with a stripe shirt?*and just slightly to the left of the stage (i wasn't stalking i swear!!)*i was 99% certain it was you but couldn't gather up the courage to go over [img]smileys/smiley12.gif[/img]
QUOTE]

Why would you need courage?
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:31 AM   #57
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

maybe approaching people she doesnt know is a very daunting task... just like it is for alot of people...

was that u in the stripey t-shirt?[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2003, 05:33 AM   #58
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Marina knows Emmett!
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:35 AM   #59
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

ah... thats a bit craz-e-e then..[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

maybe emmetts just scary then[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2003, 05:38 AM   #60
marina
Eskimo Regular

ya i got all nervous and just couldn't go over, well i nearly gathered up the courage at one stage while my friend was gone to the bathroom but then he came back and i bottled out. i was to the left of (the person who i think was) Emmett and slightly above him, i had a brown chord coat and skirt on and black snow boots, long blonde hair tied up in a pony tail (straight hair). were you with emmet?