Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 05-11-2004, 04:57 PM   #61
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

If you haven't heard from him/her do you think that might be an update?

There is a wealth of shows to download, many of them I presume much better quality than this one. It amazes me the lack of patience that some of you are showing as it wasn't long ago we all waited for 6 months to a year for a particular show to circulate.
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:13 PM   #62
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

It's kind of different when this is your first/maybe only show you went too. Besides 4.11.2004 is unique in many different ways. One of the only purely acoustic shows Damien has played (this tour and from past years). I could not attend, but 4 of my friends did, all their first Damo experience, and they deserve the right to have the show espicially since it was recorded and we know it's out there. I have plenty PLENTY of other Damo shows, and yes others that are better quality, but they aren't unique and special in my mind because I wasn't there.
thierryhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 06:41 PM   #63
graves
Eskimo Regular

Very well said. It was my first Damo show and it was truly special. I've heard many songs from his other live recordings and the Pittsburgh show stands out out as a unique performance. I can not claimthe "right" to have a copy of the show but I am dying to experience it (at least) one more time.
graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:49 PM   #64
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Exactly.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #65
DamosFavEyes
Long Time No SeEskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryhenry

Yes, an update is an expected, but it has been almost a month to a month and a half, Spamlet doesn't need that much more time to "adjust the volume," of the recording, it needs to come ou.t

just a month, actually.. a month tomorrow. let's give the man some time. all that would really be nice right now is an update.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:09 PM   #66
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

I know it shouldn't be pushed. But for an example:

formergr an alias of one of the biggest RH traders/collectors in the community went to Coachella, recorded Radiohead, The Pixies, and Beck, and by Monday the 3rd all 3 of the recordings were available on STG and on The Pixies and Radiohead Hub.

Just a little thought.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:38 PM   #67
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
their first Damo experience, and they deserve the right to have the show espicially since it was recorded and we know it's out there..

no one deserves the right to have shows...if the taper isn't ready to release it, then thats his call. give him time. it will be out. the more pushing that is done, the longer the show will take to get out...but thats just what i have learned from past experiences...

Old 05-11-2004, 08:39 PM   #68
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

ps - this is exactly why i started recording shows 5 years ago. i hated to wait...
Old 05-11-2004, 09:07 PM   #69
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Yes, but pnobles, THE TAPER DID RELEASE IT. Spamlet didn't tape this, one of his friends did, and she gave it to him. He didn't tape, he recieved the tape, and is now not sharing it.

THE WORST KIND OF HOARDING.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #70
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Yes, but pnobles, THE TAPER DID RELEASE IT. Spamlet didn't tape this, one of his friends did, and she gave it to him. He didn't tape, he recieved the tape, and is now not sharing it.

well in that case, i have no idea...there should be an update sometime soon i bet...
Old 05-11-2004, 10:56 PM   #71
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Yes, I'm in no way trying to be a dick to him, I just think we deserve at least an update..
Old 05-11-2004, 11:27 PM   #72
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Yes, but pnobles, THE TAPER DID RELEASE IT. Spamlet
didn't tape this, one of his friends did, and she gave it to him. He
didn't tape, he recieved the tape, and is now not sharing it.

I think we need to take a deep breath -- and maybe wait until we hear
back from the man. I do not think it is completely true to say that the
Taper Did Release It. In talking with Spam, it really was not released
at all - his friend simply did not know how to master/adjust the
recording, and it was passed on to Spam to get this accomplished. Who
knows why he has not been able to "share it" -- maybe he actually has
other priorities. Whatever the reason, I do not believe it is because
he is hoarding it -- Spam is a good guy and an open Damien fan. I
strongly believe he will get it out when he/it is ready.

I call architecture frozen music.

- J.W. Goethe
jwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:08 AM   #73
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, I don't want to attack him JWelsh, I don't know his status on this board or the other board, but he seems like nice guy, and I don't want to hold that against him. I have just seen this happen way to many times in communities such as Radiohead, and Dave Matthews Band, where tapers (or even friends of tapers who are pompous asses) feel that the MUSIC THEY RECORDED, somehow belongs to them. That is where I am completely lost; when tapers think that it is THEIRS.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:27 AM   #74
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
I have just seen this happen way to many times in communities such as Radiohead, and Dave Matthews Band, where tapers (or even friends of tapers who are pompous asses) feel that the MUSIC THEY RECORDED, somehow belongs to them. That is where I am completely lost; when tapers think that it is THEIRS.

well after droping close to $8,000 + dollars in recording equiptment, you would probably thinkyou owned the tapes you made...

Old 05-12-2004, 01:33 AM   #75
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, but I've dropped just $85 and have some good recordings for people who dropped $800. I see each side of the argument..
Old 05-12-2004, 04:55 AM   #76
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

Dude, get a grip. You're acting like a drama king over a recording of a concert. It's not the end of the world and certainly doesn't warrant attacking this guys character on the internet in a open forum, based I might add, on assumptions you have come up with on your own without the guy saying a word.

Quote:
That is where I am completely lost; when tapers think that it is THEIRS.
Here is the kicker. It is theirs, not yours unless they want it to be yours. I guess I'm not following this bit where spamlet owes you something. If you don't like it and hate waiting around for a show to surface, do what Pat or Jon did and go tape the show yourself. Then maybe you can appreciate all the time and money it takes to release a show. Trust me, it's a great way to learn the art of patience and gratitude.

Quote:
Yeah, but I've dropped just $85 and have some good recordings for people who dropped $800
Hey, all the power to you if you can pull a great recording with a rig that cost you $85. Write a book because I will be the first to admit I have spent way too much money on gear and could certainly save a buck or two.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:07 AM   #77
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

An $800 rig isn't worth the $800 when you think about the sound you get from an $85 rig. Just my opinion. Naturally it is better, don't get me wrong, but is it worth the extra $715 dollars, for a smidge better quality? No doubt that gear is expensive, taping is risky, and difficult, and not enjoyable, and I have respect for all tapers (used to hate them, but now I kind of am one/or plan to be). The thing that disturbs me, is when kids sit on their tapes and rub it in the rest of the communities face about having it, and how no one else ever be able to get it (it hasn't happened here yet, thank god, and I hope it never does, I have seen it happen before on other forums, and that is why I feel so strongly about it). To some degree yes, the recording is done by a person, in the audience. It is THEIR gear, they paid for it, THEIR time and effort to sit and to remain quiet, and be stealth from security for the entire show, and be constantly obbessed over how their tapes will turn out (which good tapers do), while other f**kheads scream their heads off and RUIN the recording, but yet can get on STG or a Hub in the next few days download the show and sell it, or convert to mp3 and spread inferior copies (that is the most extreme case, but you get the idea). So yes, it is their recording, but it is certainly not theirs to flaunt and rub into other dying fans faces either, because it reality it is Damien Rice's music, and everyone here can agree on the common ground that is sharing/spreading/appreciating his music. Nuff said.Edited by: thierryhenry
Old 05-12-2004, 12:37 PM   #78
cille
creepycute

actually i don't think music belongs to anyone - not to those who tape it, or even the ppl who makes it. it's just there, for all to enjoy.

<hippie over and out>
Old 05-12-2004, 02:33 PM   #79
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I like that Cille [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img] cheers.......

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #80
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Good point Cille, well taken..

Realistically if we look at this, no one should be complaining, I am grateful for whatever I can get of any band for any live recording available. I respect the tapers and their wishes (even if they don't want shows spread in inferior mp3's or traded etc. etc.), I just DESPISE the hoarding techiniques I have mentioned above. End of story.

All we ask Spamlet is a post from you telling us how this recording is coming along. And if you need help adjusting it, torrenting it, converting it to your PC and putting in either SHN or FLAC, or anything at all, I am MORE than happy to help you get this out to as many people as possible. PM me if you like..

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:06 PM   #81
natekeegan
Eskimo Friend

You're only grateful after everyone yelled at you for doing it. Your long winded confessions do nothing to me. You may not be mature, but please, a certain level of maturity would be nice here. Keep on the topic, Joe, and if he does not want to give you the show he shall not.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:07 PM   #82
absltcit33
Eskimo Friend

hey you two, don't you gys really know each other and are friends?

Damien Rice- 4/11
absltcit33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:16 PM   #83
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

I don't even know who Natekeegan is! He's been giving me sh*t since the day I signed up on this board.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:06 PM   #84
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercille

actually i don't think music belongs to anyone - not to those who tape it, or even the ppl who makes it. it's just there, for all to enjoy.

<hippie over and out>
I agree as did Jer and the Dead who really helped spawn the large taper/trade scene in the '70s for that exact reason. I think though we are talking more in terms of the actual recording at hand. The recording is not there for all to enjoy unless someone takes the time, money, and bullsh*t in this case to make that possible.

I have never read a policy from any taper friendly band that said if someone records their music or has a copy of it that they take on the responsibility of spreading that music to the masses and answering to weekly inquiries from the public. This is a really silly conversation that I admit I have contributed way too much so I will shut up now. Once again, common sense does not prevail.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:04 PM   #85
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Sorry for not giving an update but there was nothing to update until very recently. Apparently a lot of people got the wrong idea about my role in all of this. My friend Amanda borrowed her friend's MD recorder and taped the show we were at. Because I'm far moreactive here than her,she told me to let everyone know that we'd be getting it out to you as soon as we could. We obviously underestimated how much time it takes for novices to do such a thing.

She made a copy of it but she had never made a copy of an MD before and did not know how to adjust levels etc. By her own admission she made several mistakes and she gave that firstsmall mistakes filledcopy to me just so I could get an idea of how the show sounded overall(before being adjusted)to tell everyone if the quality was good. She trusts that I have a good ear. Ido (years of playing 'Thief' have honed it lol)however I know/knew nothing about the technical side of all this and so do not know how to alter the levels etc. myself. I hope I never gave anyone the impression that I was the onemastering the recording. I'm not.I also didn't mean to give anyone else the impression that I was in charge of distributing it either. I don't know the first thing about how technicallyto get this show out to the people because I've never done anything like this before. I'm just the first person who got to hear what the show will roughly sound like.

This leads me to the next problem. TONS of people have been pming me for weeksasking for the show etc. I tried to answer as many as I could but I didn't know who would get it first. Weeks ago, Framesaver (the apparentlyideal masterer of boot showsfrom what I can see on damienricetrading.org) pmed me on behalf of Mario weeks ago asking for Amanda's email so he could give it to Mario so he could work with her toput it online etc. I just found out from AmandaYESTERDAY that he never emailed her about it after all. I have no idea why. I was shocked. So you cansee why I didn't know what to tell you even though I didn't realize people were getting so antsy on this thread cause I didn't know to check it and didn't have time to before now anyway even if I had known. I've been helping everybody on the other bigforum on this site to finally hear the juniper rarities that I just got sent by Patricia by making a briefcase (something I'd never done before) so I haven't checked the gigs forum lately until today. I wasn't ignoring anyone I was juston the wrong part of the site.

The other thing is that my copy is not what we considered a finished product it was insteada test run -arough draft. So I was never saying my copy is the one we would ideallymake other copies from and that's why I said before it would be suitable for download it would need to be altered volume wise etc. She was planning on making a better copy. The copy I have is all on one track and the first part of the first song "delicate" (the tomatoes intro)which is on her original isn't on mine. There is instead a silent track because she hadn't hooked it up right or whatever and didn't realize it until after.

Anyway because it wasn't her MD her friend asked for it back so she wasn't able to make another copy right away. The reason there have been so few updates about her progress is that we both have been extremely busy. The past few weeks I've been in rehearsal and just this weekend opened in a play ("Proof" if anyone is curious) and am already in rehearsal for the next one and start rehearsal for the one after that in about anotherweek and the one after that in two weeksso I haven't been able to see her/talk to her as often as usual.That's whyI just found out whether or not framesaver or mariohad gotten a copy from her yet.

I told her natekeegan had been the most persistent and offered to send me every Damien show he has justfor a copy (which I would certainly share with her).She just gave me officialpermission last night to use the copy I have to get it to nate who says he can fix the levels and put it online because he says he can't wait any longer for us or othersto do it.

He said he's b+ping me as we speak. He'll have it next so you can all start bugging him for it sooninstead. I told him the status of things a few days ago from my end of understanding but for some reason he didn't mentionany of thatin his posts on this thread. Perhaps he wanted to hoard it.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

But to sum up I'm trulysorry if it seemed I was ignoring/hoarding anything. I never was and I didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Thanks J for saying nice things about me. Thanks to the rest who defended me without jumping to falseconclusions even though they don't know me.

Spamlet (Doug)
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:23 PM   #86
graves
Eskimo Regular

Thank you Spamlet for taking your time to write this very detailed update.
graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:50 PM   #87
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Well first and foremost, thank you Spamlet for your detailed post, it is well appreciated. As for sending it to Natekeegan, i doubt he is the man you want messing with recording levels or putting in online, I don't think he has any idea of using such programs (or terms lack there of) like:

EAC (the prefered audio extract if the show is on CD's)
How to create FLAC or SHN's (properly!!) if he get's the show.
Or even how to use Soundforge/Cool Edit Pro is adjust sound levels.

As for the offer he said to you about giving you every Damien boot he owns (which is about 10-15 solid shows) you might want to ask him a little more in depth about that, because all of those are on Mp3 DATA CD's (which I gave to him) thus, they are lossy, and no prefered anywhere in the trading community. I on the other hand have all those recordings I burnt for him, backed up onto Audio CD's as loseless boots.

That is besides the point, the point is making sure this recording (even if it is Spamlet's "Test run," recording) comes out.

Thank you Spamlet, and if I offended you in any way, it was not intended.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:04 PM   #88
EndUvTheWrld
Eskimo Friend

Thierry, your page's not working for me.. as in not functioning correctly
Old 05-12-2004, 08:08 PM   #89
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

I know, subtract the www.our-adams-family.co.uk crap..it's just:

www.angelfire.com/ult/thierryhenry/

I have no listing of Damo boots on there right now, anyway, just to tell you.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:16 AM   #90
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Thierry Henry,

What you say about nate may wellbe true. Unfortunately the way you constantly behave on these forums towards him does little to instill my confidence in what you say. Secondly, by your own admission you're the guy who screwed up in taping the phenomenal Odeon show only a little overtwo weeks ago because you didn't know enough about taping. This doesn't give me alot of confidence that you're the right man for the job either.

If you are however, then convince him to let you master it and convince him to let you put your audio cd's in to what he's sending me tomorrow before he does. I certainly want all this done right.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote