Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #31
bonesmcgee
Eskimo Baby

When is everyone planning on being in line on Friday? I have no idea what to expect
bonesmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:46 AM
thewrightowns
This message has been deleted by thewrightowns.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:47 AM   #32
thewrightowns
Eskimo Baby

I'll be there just before lunchtime. Feel free to say hi

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...aa56bd691.jpeg
thewrightowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:54 AM   #33
ashleyz
Eskimo Friend

I was gonna head over to the venue around 2 or 3 and see what the line looks like then go do quick stuff in the area if no line was really started yet. Before lunchtime...are people really getting there that early? I might have to revise my plans!
ashleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #34
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

The doors open at 8pm for a 9pm show. It's a big square room for 800 people. The back of the room will be about 25 yards from the stage.

If you're at the venue before 8pm, you need to rethink some things.

Last edited by mario_d; 10-15-2014 at 05:58 AM.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #35
bonesmcgee
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyz View Post
I was gonna head over to the venue around 2 or 3 and see what the line looks like then go do quick stuff in the area if no line was really started yet. Before lunchtime...are people really getting there that early? I might have to revise my plans!
Yeah we were thinking about doing the same.... plan is to get our rootless tree tattoos early in the day then head over to scope it out
bonesmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #36
signalfire
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
The doors open at 8pm for a 9pm show. It's a big square room for 800 people. The back of the room will be about 25 yards from the stage.

You must not be short, I take it. I always try to arrive early because even in small rooms, if I'm more than a few rows back, chances are I won't be able to see a thing. Hearing the music live is great, but you miss out on a little something when you can't even glimpse the stage. I don't have to be front row, but not staring at someone's shoulder blades is generally more enjoyable for me.

Having said that, I have work Friday, so I won't get there until 6:30 and still may not get to see a damn thing...

Last edited by signalfire; 10-15-2014 at 12:52 PM.
signalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #37
RenataAQP
Eskimo Regular

^ i have the same problem being 5 feet kind of stinks when it comes to standing-only concerts.
I have to get my ticket at Will Call, might head there around 5. You can message me once you get there and if i'm able to get a spot near the stage you can squeeze in there next to me
Old 10-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #38
ashleyz
Eskimo Friend

^ agreed! I can't see anything if I'm too far back. Although I looked up pictures of the place online and it looks like the stage is (hopefully) elevated enough that this won't be an issue.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #39
mikerennie
Eskimo Regular

I am getting nervous too, I have until 3PM today to cancel my hotel. Train tickets are non-refundable.... oh well.

Hopefully he cancelled Toronto because you're not supposed to fly with a major ear infection and he took a nice bus ride from Chicago to NYC with an IV and a double dose of cipro.
mikerennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #40
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

I'm not sure what time we'll head over to the venue yet, but my daughter and I are 5' also. I generally don't mind being short, but it DOES make things difficult when there's GA. If we hadn't lined up early for a U2 concert 9 years ago, she wouldn't have had the amazing experience that was captured in my avatar (Bono pulled her onstage at MSG and ended up giving her a piggy-back...best night EVER)!!! We were in the second row and there was a tall man (over 6') in front of us. He was so kind and offered to let us stand in front of him since he could easily see over our heads. He even took that fabulous picture to the left.
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #41
signalfire
Eskimo Regular

I'm sure nothing compares to lining up for a U2 show! I've heard tales of the madness from many friends. Since it's a weekday, I don't imagine there'll be a huge line much before 5. There seem to be a lot of people traveling in for it, but of course we fans who are more engaged and vocal don't necessarily represent the majority of ticket holders.
signalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #42
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

The stage is about five feet above ground. You'll be able to see damien no matter how short you are. Look at this photo:

Damien will be WAAAYYY above head height.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #43
thewrightowns
Eskimo Baby

Quote:

Some people take pride in getting there early with friends and being as close to the stage as possible. You must not go to a lot of concerts. Saying that "you need to rethink some things" is a bit harsh. Some people enjoy being close. At least be understanding of that. I've waited 13-14 hours in lines before.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #44
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I plan to get there super early because I am vertically challenged, as well! But standing around for 8-10 hrs, with no bathroom breaks, might be torture. I hate GA!
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #45
ashleyz
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationDestination View Post
I plan to get there super early because I am vertically challenged, as well! But standing around for 8-10 hrs, with no bathroom breaks, might be torture. I hate GA!
Me too!! I like the fact that I have the ability to get right up front which I often can't afford to do in seated shows but the several hours in line and then at the show kill my back and bladder. Oh well...so worth it in this case! I'm starting to get really excited....I leave for New York tomorrow night! Can't wait
Old 10-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #46
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewrightowns View Post
Some people take pride in getting there early with friends and being as close to the stage as possible. You must not go to a lot of concerts. Saying that "you need to rethink some things" is a bit harsh. Some people enjoy being close. At least be understanding of that. I've waited 13-14 hours in lines before.
I understand that. And if the thing you take pride in is "standing on the sidewalk for eight hours so I can be about 10 feet closer than the suckers who showed up at 8:30 and enjoyed a sunny warm day in a neighborhood rich in culture" then you need to reevaluate some things.

I'll be getting to the neighborhood around 4pm, going to one of the nation's best beer breweries less than a mile away, and strolling into the Warsaw at about 8:30 so I can be in the middle back of the room, where there's plenty of space, clear sightlines, and the sound is perfect, rather than wasting the day so I can push up to the front and have crappy mono sound from a tiny wedge pointed directly at me no different than if I was sitting in my living room.

Last edited by mario_d; 10-15-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #47
RenataAQP
Eskimo Regular

i think we are all here to share the excitement about seeing him that night. I don't see the point of criticizing what some people choose to do. Whether it is to show up 8 hours before or show up right before the show starts. It's about personal choice.
Implying that whatever you think is the final saying and what everybody else says/does is wrong seems a bit extreme.

I'm just looking forward to seeing him! So, regardless of how early people decide to show up i hope everybody gets to enjoy it!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #48
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

Mario, what's the brewery nearby? [Already thirsty]
DesoleInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #49
thewrightowns
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenataAQP View Post
i think we are all here to share the excitement about seeing him that night. I don't see the point of criticizing what some people choose to do. Whether it is to show up 8 hours before or show up right before the show starts. It's about personal choice.
Implying that whatever you think is the final saying and what everybody else says/does is wrong seems a bit extreme.

I'm just looking forward to seeing him! So, regardless of how early people decide to show up i hope everybody gets to enjoy it!
Couldn't have said it better myself. Damien is an event I've waited years for. Can't wait
Old 10-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #50
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesoleInBoston View Post
Mario, what's the brewery nearby? [Already thirsty]
Brooklyn Brewery is .6 miles away. Google says its a 12 minute walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenataAQP View Post
I don't see the point of blocking the sidewalk for 8 hours and bothering the people who live, work, and shop in that neighborhood. Annoying the neighboring shops and residents creates a bigger headache for the venue to continue having concerts, or maybe forces them to start providing security for the people standing outside for eight hours, which means ticket prices will increase.

Let alone posting about it here trying to cause rational thinking folks to panic and also join in at noon.

Doors are at 8pm because they don't want people there before 8pm, and one hour is a completely adequate amount of time for 600 people to enter the building in an orderly fashion.

Here are photos of the entrance just to help clarifying why it would be annoying for people to be hanging around there for eight hours. Directly across the street is a grocery store and next door is an auto body shop:

Last edited by mario_d; 10-15-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:51 PM   #51
Dabstarnation
Eskimo Baby

Listen guys this is not a Hanson concert. The LA show I went to was so relaxed and Damien's fans are rather mellow. I got in line for the LA show at 6:00 when doors according to the tickets opened at 7. I wound up in second row next to people who had lined up around noon. If you choose to go that early, that's your prerogative but I'm telling you it isn't necessary. It's not a bum rush, it isn't chaotic and the fans aren't wild. The show itself, everyone sat in their seats for virtually the entire show and I barely heard a peep from surrounding neighbors, hardly any singing along. Seems like once Damien gets on stage everyone is chill and quiet because we all just want to see/hear him. Enjoy the fact that this is an artist with relatively sane fans. Enjoy your day in New York, don't panic, don't rush.
Dabstarnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #52
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

Hanson shout out! I actually love that band. Lifelong fan. But yes, extremely different crowds.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:26 PM   #53
Dabstarnation
Eskimo Baby

Haha me too! I have shamefully lined up super early for more Hanson concerts than I'm willing to admit. But seriously, the vibe at the LA show was so chill, it would be awful to see that change. It made everything including the concert much more enjoyable.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:18 AM   #54
nottoolatetostart
Eskimo Baby

Will be there. Wont be getting there until 5-6 to check out the line, but then heading to someplace else for a pre-show drink.
Can't wait. Hoping Damien is feeling well enough.
Saw him last in 2006 at LA's Orpheum for 2 chill back to back nights.
Also going to London in a couple weeks too - got 13th row tickets in presale. Yeah!
nottoolatetostart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:08 AM   #55
ashleyz
Eskimo Friend

If some people want to line up early and get up front good for them. If some people prefer the middle/back good for them. There is really no need to get personally insulting about a persons concert style. You're right- damine rice fans are mellow. So let's try to embody that, huh? I will be there early and that does not say anything negative about me. I personally like to be up front. It's really no big deal. I also personally don't like to drink a lot before concerts but I would never criticize someone for going to a brewery before his show. Let's all just be respectful and get completely excited that we are two days away from this show!!! Can't wait.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:37 AM   #56
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyz View Post
If some people want to line up early and get up front good for them. If some people prefer the middle/back good for them. There is really no need to get personally insulting about a persons concert style. You're right- damine rice fans are mellow. So let's try to embody that, huh? I will be there early and that does not say anything negative about me. I personally like to be up front. It's really no big deal. I also personally don't like to drink a lot before concerts but I would never criticize someone for going to a brewery before his show. Let's all just be respectful and get completely excited that we are two days away from this show!!! Can't wait.
If some people want to be a bother to the venue and neighboring businesses, good for them?

No. This is a neighborhood. There are houses about five doors away. Having strangers loitering in the area for eight hours is not what they want. Don't be obnoxious and create problems for other people who live and work there because you just HAVE to get as close to the stage as possible.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:42 AM   #57
ashleyz
Eskimo Friend

I'm not going to fight about it as this is really not worth my time. I hope you have fun before/during/after the show the way you want to and I hope to do the same. Have a good time!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:50 AM   #58
Dabstarnation
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
If some people want to be a bother to the venue and neighboring businesses, good for them?

No. This is a neighborhood. There are houses about five doors away. Having strangers loitering in the area for eight hours is not what they want. Don't be obnoxious and create problems for other people who live and work there because you just HAVE to get as close to the stage as possible.
Mario is clearly angry. I on the other hand do not care one way or the other what time people choose to line up. My intent sharing on this thread was to reassure worried fans that there really is nothing to worry about. The lines aren't insane and the fans are chill. It's reasonable to show up 2-3 hours before doors and wind up with an excellent seat. I hope everyone has a blast and as much luck as I did at doors!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:57 AM   #59
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, and **** the people who live and work there, as long as ashleyz has a good time, that's all that matters I guess? No reason to be a good neighbor or considerate person, gotta get up close to Damien!

You better hope the neighbors don't call the cops on your loitering.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:26 AM   #60
Dabstarnation
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Yeah, and **** the people who live and work there, as long as ashleyz has a good time, that's all that matters I guess? No reason to be a good neighbor or considerate person, gotta get up close to Damien!

You better hope the neighbors don't call the cops on your loitering.
You're talking to someone who showed up an hour before doors in LA, not sure how much more considerate one could be considering it's a concert? I'm sure the residents and neighboring businesses are well aware of the venue they share the street with. I'll bet they knew about it when they signed their leases. Let's be real.