Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-25-2003, 08:25 AM   #1
andrea02
Eskimo Regular

Can anyone tell me the story behind Eskimo? How did the lyrics come to Damien? How/when/why the opera part got added. That is one of my favorite songs on the CD (well, lets face it...i love them all) and I really like to turn up the volume when its playing so that I can get the full effect of the breath-taking opera part. One of my friends asked me if I knew the story behind Eskimo. I told him "never fear...someone in the igloo will know" So, anyhoo thanks ahead of time for the info.

Andrea
andrea02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:40 AM   #2
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

he wrote the song in 10 minutes he says about his friend from finland or somewhere?

i personally think the song is about drugs...(fifi's interrpretation)[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

& that the eskimo friend is the dealer or the drug that he looks to when he is down..its probably not but im allowed think what i want[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

theres a thread somewhere explaining it betterEdited by: Jeweller
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:47 AM   #3
andrea02
Eskimo Regular

that explaination jives with the lyrics...and yes you certainly are entitled to your opinion...life would be really boring otherwise
Old 11-25-2003, 08:49 AM   #4
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

without my opinion people would be nowhere[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

whats you interrpretation of the song anyways?

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Old 11-25-2003, 09:06 AM   #5
andrea02
Eskimo Regular

ok. here is my impression of what the song is about without knowing the official story from Damien.

It's like when you are in a relationship that is quite intense either because it's new and the passion is really heavy or because you are just head over heals in love with someone and you've been apart from each other for a while and you just start craving their company/touch/smell.

something like that anyway.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:16 AM   #6
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i personally dont think its about a relationship or about someone you are madly in love with... my interrpretation (apart from the drugs one!!) is about a friend who is always there to pick you up "when your down" and i have many eskimo friends im glad to say[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2003, 09:25 AM   #7
andrea02
Eskimo Regular

that's one of the things I love the most about most of Damien's songs...they are emotionally powerful and can/do mean different things to different people

i gotta do some work now so that i can pay the light bill...back later[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2003, 09:26 AM   #8
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

oooh its sooo about drugs [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2003, 09:27 AM   #9
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionna
oooh its sooo about drugs [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

your such a junkie[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2003, 09:33 AM   #10
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Thats what happens when you live in Shannon[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2003, 09:45 AM   #11
morphia
Eskimo Baby

heya missus i joined yay! well that all i have to just in case you dont know its fiona[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
morphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:51 AM   #12
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

not more of them[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2003, 10:10 AM   #13
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I also thought that it seemed like a drug song, like at the end when the opera part comes on, is how you feel when the drug has taken over your mind and body and you feel no more pain!!!

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:15 AM   #14
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

great point jb... i always feel like its an out of body experience when the opera bit comes on... i sound like such a junkie!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]its all fifi i tells ya[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2003, 11:41 AM   #15
Angela
Eskimo Regular

He explained the song - I though we had that discussion before? It's about a friend of his who (I think) is Finnish who was just that, a real friend, and always there for him.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:43 AM   #16
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

it should be called "inuit friend" as thats technically what they prefer to be called[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

so emmett go buy www.inuitfriends.com as that is politically correct now[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2003, 12:43 PM   #17
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I think Damien's songs are certainly open for your own interpretation, I also sometimes get the feeling that Damien doesn't give the full story when he explains a song.. He seems to make them all sound so simple but when you listen to the songs they sound so much deeper than he implies.. Just my opinion......Edited by: jbalogh

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:48 PM   #18
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Oh, oh, Shannon skunk. You gotta hook me up.
#Ian# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 04:19 PM   #19
andrea02
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalogh
I think Damien's songs are certainly open for your own interpretation, I also sometimes get the feeling that Damien doesn't give the full story when he explains a song.. He seems to make them all sound so simple but when you listen to the songs they sound so much deeper than he implies.. Just my opinion......

right on
Old 11-25-2003, 05:38 PM   #20
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
Quote:
Oh, oh, Shannon skunk. You gotta hook me up.
Whatever you want I can get it,go me!
Old 11-25-2003, 05:39 PM   #21
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphia
heya missus i joined yay! well that all i have to just in case you dont know its fiona[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Hey Fiona!Bout time you joined,watch out for Jeweller though he's kinda dodgy [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2003, 09:40 PM   #22
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphia
Hey Fiona!Bout time you joined,watch out for Jeweller though he's kinda dodgy [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

damn you fifi... you big ruiner[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2003, 02:18 AM   #23
stonecrest
Eskimo Baby

i've always interpreted the song to be about living simply. "harder now with higher speed/washing in on top of me" - things have become more difficult in the fast-paced society that we live in; harder to find happiness and so on. and then the "so i look to my eskimo friend" - how he's looking to the eskimo way of life. how they live very simply, surviving off the land, finding happiness in what little they have, etc. it's pretty easy to make the lines fit with this interpretation, in my opinion.

but even if it has nothing to do with this, i'll just keep on pretending it does because it means a lot to me Edited by: stonecrest
Old 11-26-2003, 08:16 AM   #24
andrea02
Eskimo Regular

i like that interpretation stonecrest. i haven't thought about it like that before, but i will the next time i listen to it...which will be about.....now[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2003, 08:24 AM   #25
morphia
Eskimo Baby

i've always interpreted the song to be about living simply. "harder now with higher speed/washing in on top of me" - things have become more difficult in the fast-paced society that we live in; harder to find happiness and so on. and then the "so i look to my eskimo friend" - how he's looking to the eskimo way of life. how they live very simply, surviving off the land, finding happiness in what little they have, etc. it's pretty easy to make the lines fit with this interpretation, in my opinion.
I totally agree wit you stonecrest.That was the way that i had had always interpreted the song .......the thing about drugs never even came into my mind
morphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:30 AM   #26
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

drugs never came into my mind until fifi suggested it and it kinda clicked... [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]i dont usually worry about interpretations i just listen to the music

Old 11-26-2003, 10:49 PM   #27
idiosynful
Eskimo Regular

I always thought the song was about inspiration...and lacking it...and having soemone there that always seems to get your mind into a rush of well..mad emotion and thought...and that's what the opera singer represents ect...

But I'm really not a very deep person, and am not much for over analyzing songs...
Old 12-02-2003, 07:53 AM   #28
the professor
Eskimo Regular

all i know about it is that one day damien became frusterated with songwriting so he threw his guitar against the wall, and when he picked it up again, his fingers were in the first chord of eskimo...so he strummed it, and went on from there.

by the way, i learned that in an interview with damien [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2003, 10:49 AM   #29
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the professor
all i know about it is that one day damien became frusterated with songwriting so he threw his guitar against the wall...[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Wasmn't it a radiator? And in the interview I heard he also said it was a friend's guitar, so he was very worried thinking he might have broken it.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:52 AM   #30
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i remember breaking my mates guitar pedal... he wouldnt of been so annoyed if he didnt have a gig that night[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]