Go Back   The Igloo > Lisa Hannigan > Lisa Hannigan

Old 11-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Default Lisa Live at Fingerprints

Just in time for the holidays ...

Quote:
New Releases

There's exciting news on the EP front. First off, you can pick up Live at Fingerprints, a live recording of six songs from Lisa's appearance at Fingerprints record store last November. The digital download is available now exclusively at ThinkIndie.com.

The EP will see a wider release, including a physical CD through indie stores, on December 15, and beginning Friday, November 20, you can drop by the Store cupboard to reserve your limited edition copy of Live at Fingerprints.

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran View Post
Just in time for the holidays ...

great news, nice artwork. thanks, maria.
(i need to save money to buy it, when i can, finally, get back to ireland. cd are way expensive over there.)
Old 11-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

so OUT TODAY right??

still cannot see it in the online shop!!??
Old 11-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
verenita
... trusty and true ...

the site is offline:

Quote:
LisaHannigan.ie is undergoing maintenance

LisaHannigan.ie is currently offline while we do some upgrades. We hope to have the site back online soon. If you need to contact us, please email help@LisaHannigan.ie
Old 11-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

The site's online for me, but I still don't see it in the cupboard?
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

same here

do we know the tracklisting??
Old 11-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^yes

1. Sea Song
2. Splishy Splashy
3. Ocean And A Rock
4. Venn Diagram
5. I Don't Know
6. Lille

You can listen to snippets of each song here

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
Rai
Eskimontologist

Its up for grabbing. The site is a bit slow but I managed to order my copy. Yipee!

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
PMF88
Eskimo Friend

I got mine too!

According to the verification email, they plan on shipping the preorders out so they arrive on the release date.

$10 and change for shipping over here... yikes!
PMF88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran View Post
^yes

1. Sea Song
2. Splishy Splashy
3. Ocean And A Rock
4. Venn Diagram
5. I Don't Know
6. Lille

You can listen to snippets of each song here
Woulda been REALLY nice if they'd have played some songs that aren't already released on the album. REALLY!
Old 11-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
PMF88
Eskimo Friend

I was thinking about why the live album is so short, and why it only contains the songs which it does. As much as we'd all love to hear her new compositions or a few covers on the album, I'm sure there are too many legal issues involved at this point for it to happen. Her new compositions have yet to be professionally recorded in the studio, so I'm sure they want to do that before they go releasing them in a live format. With the covers, I'm sure there are all sorts of copyright issues and payments that would need to be made to the publishers. And at this stage in her solo career, I'm sure Lisa and her crew are most concerned about making it on their own still, and not paying out more money then is needed to be. So, in the end, that's why [I think] we have gotten these specific tracks for this album: they are all her own compositions, and they have all already been released on an official album. It's just unfortunate that these are the same songs we've all been listening to over and over already.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
cille
creepycute

^Exactly! Those who blamed 9 tour-era Damien for having a too limited playlist should be extremely bored with Lisas material by now....hmmmm....

Yeah, maybe you are right about the legal things but sheeesh!
What about My Pirate Disco or something.

Last edited by cille; 11-21-2009 at 03:34 PM.
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
ulguitarguy
Eskimo Friend

Cant wait to hear the live EP!! Really looking forward to it!

www.bobokeeffe.com
ulguitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
^Exactly! Those who blamed 9 tour-era Damien for having a too limited playlist should be extremely bored with Lisas material by now....hmmmm....
Lisa's playlist isn't that boring. Apart from the album tracks, she has My Pirate Disco, Tom Thumb's Blues, Queen of Hearts, Brolly Beats, Braille, Passenger, Personal Jesus and a few others I forgot, and new songs come regularly (she almost played a few Damien songs at the second Galway gig, but the guy in the audience who suggested this was too much of a chicken to join in). For a band that formed two years ago and has been constantly on the road ever since this is not bad.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"

Last edited by Rai; 11-21-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
cille
creepycute

Well I would have expected them to put at least one song on there that hasn't been released before - JUST ONE....

What it comes down to though is probably that I got tired of the album songs a little too fast, I miss some more darkness and complexity in there so I get tired of endless live versions of those songs, but that's probably just me...
Old 11-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #16
Rai
Eskimontologist

^You're just jealous and brooding because you are yet to see her live.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #17
cille
creepycute

^Not true, i saw her live at Electric Picnic last year even before the album came out. HA! Take THAT and shove it!
And of course it was great - the rapport between the audience and the band was great, Lisa was wonderful and the band played amazingly (and they are even tighter now), Una made for a great special robot guest - yes, the only thing not 120% great about this band is, well... the material. If I had been A&R on Sea Sew I would've asked her to work a little more on the songwriting before recording. Oh, and I would've found a better producer too.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #18
PMF88
Eskimo Friend

I rather like Sea Sew, and think it makes for an excellent debut. I also like it's creakiness, it's not polished, and that's what they were going for. As for the songwriting, I think Lisa did as best of a job as she could at the time. She's still getting up to speed. One thing's for sure - I couldn't write songs like that even if I tried! Musically they are quite simple, but the instrumentation and melody make them quite enjoyable.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #19
cille
creepycute

Actually, I think the sound of Sea sew is too polished - and especially Lisa's vocal is too loud and flat sounding (not her voice nessesarily, but the way it's produced).
I like that the songs are simple, but I miss something, Hmm, depth perhaps?
I know they did as good a job as they could, but with some sparring and more ntime maybe the songs could have become stronger - and some songs would have been ditched completely because better songs would have emerged.
Well coulda woulda shoulda... The thing is that I found myself tired of her songs after a few months of listening, it's like there were no more layers to peel off after that. I think Lisa needs to challenge herself more - and I think she can stand the challenge, it's not like she is lacking talent or anything.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #20
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Lisa's playlist isn't that boring. Apart from the album tracks, she has My Pirate Disco, Tom Thumb's Blues, Queen of Hearts, Brolly Beats, Braille, Passenger, Personal Jesus and a few others I forgot, and new songs come regularly (she almost played a few Damien songs at the second Galway gig, but the guy in the audience who suggested this was too much of a chicken to join in). For a band that formed two years ago and has been constantly on the road ever since this is not bad.

WAIT she almost played a damien song...which one...what was said...wow
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #21
PMF88
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
Actually, I think the sound of Sea sew is too polished - and especially Lisa's vocal is too loud and flat sounding (not her voice nessesarily, but the way it's produced).
I like that the songs are simple, but I miss something, Hmm, depth perhaps?
I know they did as good a job as they could, but with some sparring and more ntime maybe the songs could have become stronger - and some songs would have been ditched completely because better songs would have emerged.
Well coulda woulda shoulda... The thing is that I found myself tired of her songs after a few months of listening, it's like there were no more layers to peel off after that. I think Lisa needs to challenge herself more - and I think she can stand the challenge, it's not like she is lacking talent or anything.
Ah, I understand what you're saying. When I spoke to Lisa in NYC, she said that she planned on spending more time recording her next album than she did with Sea Sew. She said they still want to limit themselves, so they don't harp on on minor things too long, but spend a little more time. She also said her friend (Jason Boshoff, if my spelling is correct) had a tough time engineering it that quickly. So, you may get your wish with better compositions and production on this next one. She also said she wouldn't be opposed moving away from ProTools and toward an analog format. Of course, I'm paraphrasing all of this.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #22
Rai
Eskimontologist

^No specific one. A guy asked her to play some Damien Rice song during the third encore. She said that she didn't know the chords, but if he did, he should come up and play and they'd do the song together. This went on for a little while, then the guy seemed to have chickened out and they played something else.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #23
PMF88
Eskimo Friend

MY copy arrived today. Unfortunately, the cheap methods by which they shipped it led to it coming severely bent. One corner of the cardboard sleeve basically folded over the outline of the CD. Hopefully Lisa's customer service people will be helpful (especially since it was $10 s&h!)

As for the actual music, which is what matters, I haven't had a chance to listen yet. I find it funny how close it is to Damien's Live at Fingerprints, though. Both abbreviated setlists, both coming in thin gatefold sleeves. Perhaps I'm just thinking about it too much. Surely Lisa could have chosen another venue to record, and the full set, in order to separate from the Damien similarities?
Old 12-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #24
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^Well I think you're reading bit too much into it. I would attribute the similarities to the fact that the Fingerprints store is the one that records the sessions, packages them and does all the work. So I'm sure other sessions besides Lisa's and Damien's look quite similar as well.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #25
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ my guess too...
Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #26
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
^ my guess too...
Old 12-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #27
PMF88
Eskimo Friend

Ah, see... I really know nothing about the store or their practices. Makes sense.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #28
RonjaGirl
Eskimo Regular

Spinner.com is featuring the EP on the website...you can listen to all songs in full lenght for a week here: http://www.spinner.com/new-releases#/2

Lisa on Oct 3rd 2008!!
RonjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #29
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian# View Post
now i guess my guess was wrong
by the way, i always thought fingerprints was a festival not a record store...

^ thank you so much for the info, becci!

Last edited by verenita; 12-15-2009 at 10:28 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #30
PMF88
Eskimo Friend

I assume Fingerprints is only on the west coast, similar to Amoeba? We don't have any around here, in the New York area.