Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 02-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #31
glo32
Eskimo Regular

vere. it's not the cover, it's just a small promotional poster they gave away at the gig... it has nothing to do with the cd itself, I guess it was done to promote the Korean edition of the Union Chapel cd, and someone* put that line at the end.

* someone might be: the promoters of the Korean gig? the distributors of the Union Chapel Korean edition?
but why would they do something like that? if they have to promote one cd, why announcing another cd? it doesn't seem a good marketing idea.

I personally just think it was fan made. I'm not saying that James Blakeborough did it, of course not, but some fan maybe printe a few copies and gave them away at the gig. Of course this fan couldn't print thousands of copies so that explains why not everyone got the poster (Mango, for example).

Option number two is: there is an album coming out in the Spring, but the management for some reason doesn't want to confirm. And in that case, I think the best solution would be to ignore email, instead of replying and denying there's a new album at all. I just don't see why they would deny and lose credibility with people. That's why I think the management is acting in good faith and at the DR headquarters there hasn't been any official talk about a new album...
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #32
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

maybe it's a korean edition only. just like this Union Chapel CD, maybe they're planning on releasing some special edition, let's say the Fingerprints CD, hence the announcement.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #33
glo32
Eskimo Regular

well, then the "new album coming in spring 2012" is incorrect and also misleading for Korean fans... anyway, in that case, the management would know for sure.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #34
James Blakeborough
Eskimo Baby

Hey

They were handed out at the merchandise stall on the right as you walked in the door on the inside of the Olympic hall.. and i mean there were boxes of them. I bought the Korean version of the union chapel gig and it says nothing either.. Im not saying this is true about the album but its Defo not fan made.

I just thought id share it.

I suppose all we can do is wait and see at this point..
James Blakeborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #35
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Thank you for the info James. It's definitely something 'official' then. Is there anyone in Korea we can ask to? The record label, the distributor, the promoters, I don't know...
Old 02-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #36
Ramalama
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
^yep, Glo contacted them and they said they knew about the Korean CD but not about 'next album Spring 2012' written on it or about any album launch in the next future
Oh. Thanks for the update!

Still weird that the line is there. If there is a new album in 2012, is there a reason the DR management would want to deny that news until it gets closer to the release date?
Ramalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #37
Samart
Nothing unusual...

Wait Spring and see.
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #38
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
vere. it's not the cover, it's just a small promotional poster they gave away at the gig... it has nothing to do with the cd itself, I guess it was done to promote the Korean edition of the Union Chapel cd, and someone* put that line at the end.

thanks glo. i missinterpreted it
what a mistery! but, yes. all we can do is wait.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #39
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

what Im thinking is that probably those Korean people got the impression that a new album was coming and they put it in the poster without asking permission from the Irish record company or without asking for confirmation to the management...

but I guess if they thought that an album was coming is cos they talked with Damien and he must have slipped it away in an unofficial general way of speaking... maybe that's what was in his mind when they talked with him, but probably the magament didn't even know that, and things might have also changed since then...

but yes, the best thing is to wait and see, I think it might not happen as soon as I thought (wanted), but will happen this year for sure! let's be positive!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #40
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
I personally just think it was fan made. I'm not saying that James Blakeborough did it, of course not, but some fan maybe printe a few copies and gave them away at the gig. Of course this fan couldn't print thousands of copies so that explains why not everyone got the poster (Mango, for example).
It'd be funny if this person reads the forum and was just trolling us...

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...

Last edited by mariaoran; 02-24-2012 at 01:22 PM.
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #41
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ i guess it´d be. also, if that is the case... poor damien and his management: first, they had to "take responsibility" for the cannonball cover and now they have to see/read/listen (who knows) all this speculations and assumptions about a new album release date. it must be a pain in the arse... just what damien like the most in order to make a new record
Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #42
cille
creepycute

^Maybe they shouldn't print those posters in the first place then...
Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #43
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ true
but that´s what i´m saying. we are not even sure if they did it nor if they even knew about it (quite hard to believe, maybe, but it could be the case).

Last edited by verenita; 02-24-2012 at 12:33 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #44
Shahar
Cheers Darling.

I hate the fact that everything became so commercialized... These clues are so silly, just wanna know when it'll be released..
Old 02-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #45
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahar View Post
I hate the fact that everything became so commercialized... These clues are so silly, just wanna know when it'll be released..
Or if. He could at the very least tell us what's going on. We have been loyal and respectful fans. I would be more at ease if he would issue a press release and say either I'm working on something and it could be out this year or I don't like what I have recorded and I am just enjoying life right now. Maybe next year (Go Cubs!)
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #46
Shahar
Cheers Darling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
Or if.
You right...

Anyway, what I was trying to say, is that I miss those days, when Damien decided everything about his albums, it's annoying when people are speaking instead\for him...
I don't know if it's real or not, but there is a chance that someone spread this rumor just because he heard something.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #47
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Or if. He could at the very least tell us what's going on. We have been loyal and respectful fans. I would be more at ease if he would issue a press release and say either I'm working on something and it could be out this year or I don't like what I have recorded and I am just enjoying life right now. Maybe next year (Go Cubs!)
I hear ya. And im here obviously because im a massive fan of damien. ive said before but i view him as one of the best songwriters of our generation.

But i dont think he owes us anything. He doesnt. If he chooses to never release another album ever again, i and everyone else would be gutted, but he doesnt owe us another album.

nor does he owe us updates on projects or albums, or whats going on. He has no obligation, nor does any other artist have any obligation to the audience. I want album 3 as much as you all do, but if he never makes one, or if he doesnt comunicate with us about how the album is progressing thats his perogative

Ive argued before, and people disagreed that I think damien could easily go back to farming ala prior to 0, and just live in Paris or Italy again. At this point that seems like a possibility.

The label, his label on the other hand does. Their existence is to make money off artists.

Seems to me one of two things are going on. Either the label wants to keep things under wraps. Which i could see happening. I think labels want to be the ones to announce stuff like this. Or two, the notice at the end of the poster, was added by someone not in the management, but maybe at the store. Either way, its strange because you'd think they had to submit the poster for approval to damiens management.

I think the first scenario is likely. Labels are protective, and in many ways backward organizations. They arent set up to facillitate these sorts of things. Their main cause is money generation
radiohead33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #48
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead33 View Post
But i dont think he owes us anything. He doesnt. If he chooses to never release another album ever again, i and everyone else would be gutted, but he doesnt owe us another album.

nor does he owe us updates on projects or albums, or whats going on. He has no obligation, nor does any other artist have any obligation to the audience. I want album 3 as much as you all do, but if he never makes one, or if he doesnt comunicate with us about how the album is progressing thats his perogative
This.

I've always found it weird how there are so many fans of bands or musicians like Damien who think that they "deserve" a new album or at least being kept up to date about any progress on it. For me personally, his music has always been a gift that we should all be grateful for. Just as we should all respect his desire for privacy and his apparent lack of interest in PR and social media, even if we all long for another album. If he doesn't want (or doesn't care) to tell his fans what is going on in his personal or professional life, that's his choice. And it's a completely legitimate one.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #49
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ seconded! btw, hello lin@
Old 02-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #50
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Damien owes us a new album because he's been promising us a new album for at least four years now.

June 2008:
http://newsweaver.ie/drm/index000268281.cfm?x=b11,0,w

October 2009:
http://www.hotpress.com/news/Damien-...s/5851043.html

It's not even worth going on into his sessions with Lillywhite and such...

But if Damien wanted to disappear and never make music, that's fine. But don't keep telling us you're recording a new album and then never do anything.

And the same goes for his personal life. Once he went in a magazine and talked all about the history with Lisa (that was already so blatantly obvious and well-known, anyway) the door is thrown wide open and can never be closed again.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #51
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
Damien owes us a new album because he's been promising us a new album for at least four years now.

June 2008:

October 2009:

But if Damien wanted to disappear and never make music, that's fine. But don't keep telling us you're recording a new album and then never do anything.

And the same goes for his personal life. Once he went in a magazine and talked all about the history with Lisa (that was already so blatantly obvious and well-known, anyway) the door is thrown wide open and can never be closed again.

This.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #52
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

June 2008:

October 2009:

i agree with you about lisa, he was public about their relationship and its been pretty public the tumultuous breakup of the band and of their relationship. I do view their relationship, and the public manner of their breakup as fair game for discussion here and have gotten in heated converations with folks on here about that.

I disagree about him owing us an album. no artist in any medium owes us anything. i think thats a dangerous thing to be suggesting. It suggests the artist works for us, the audience, and not themselves, which is ultimately the case with every artist. Damien could put an album out every single year until he died, to satisfy the audience, but does that equal good art, and does it make damien or any artist happy?

Just look at the albums like Smile by the beach boys which took what 40 years to be released, and Chinese Democracy was 20 years in the making? People were promised those albums every year by those artists.

Ultimately, damien can do whatever he wants. He can promise us for the next 5 straight years he is going to release an album "this year", or he could never make an album again, and return to painting and paris and italy. Or he could drop an album ala Radiohead out of nowhere tomorrow.

He doesnt owe us anything. Not album 3. Not another song. Nothing. That would obviously be a massive shame, but to say because he has "promised us" an album multiple times is silly and meaningless.

How many times have you seen an artist say they are working on an album and its going to come out soon, and it never does or comes out years later? Happens loads of times. Its common place in fact.

We have no idea what is going on. In the years since 2006 has he made several albums but scrapped them multiple times? Has he never gotten more than a few songs written? Has he been facing writers block? Does he have a whole bunch of songs written and its just a matter of months before album 3 is released? Is he going to release a double album? Has he had trouble with his label and thats whats causing the delay? the possibilities are endless.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #53
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

damien doesnt have to let any one of us know about plans of an album, or plans of not recording an album. You act like he's binding himself in some contract by saying the albums coming out soon or something. He reserves the right, as do all artists, to do whatever they want with their art. And that includes reserving the right to decide what is released, if its released at all, when and how its released.

His job isnt to inform us of anything. His job is to create art. period. If he wants to stop doing art, thats also his decision. he doesnt need to communicate anything about it to us, or you, or me.

As i said, there could be a million reasons why he hasnt released album 3. And even with that, he doesnt have to tell us why he hasnt released it, or even if he will release it.

I personally would put more stock into and be more forceful in terms of trying to get the label to talk about this stuff. damiens under no obligation to talk about it. The label pretty much is. Thats why they exist, to promote and hype albums and artists especially ones with new material.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #54
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead33 View Post
damien doesnt have to let any one of us know about plans of an album, or plans of not recording an album. You act like he's binding himself in some contract by saying the albums coming out soon or something. He reserves the right, as do all artists, to do whatever they want with their art. And that includes reserving the right to decide what is released, if its released at all, when and how its released.

His job isnt to inform us of anything. His job is to create art. period. If he wants to stop doing art, thats also his decision. he doesnt need to communicate anything about it to us, or you, or me.

As i said, there could be a million reasons why he hasnt released album 3. And even with that, he doesnt have to tell us why he hasnt released it, or even if he will release it.

I personally would put more stock into and be more forceful in terms of trying to get the label to talk about this stuff. damiens under no obligation to talk about it. The label pretty much is. Thats why they exist, to promote and hype albums and artists especially ones with new material.
I redact my previous statement. Well done sir.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #55
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Ps. Going to see radiohead tomorrow in Miami!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #56
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

It's not a binding contract, but its a moral imperative.

Don't promise a new album if you're not going to make it. Just shutup until its been decided.

He doesn't have enough respect for his fans, and you people are enabling this abusive relationship.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #57
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
It's not a binding contract, but its a moral imperative.

Don't promise a new album if you're not going to make it. Just shutup until its been decided.

He doesn't have enough respect for his fans, and you people are enabling this abusive relationship.
respectfully, i think this is hurtful to art and artists.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #58
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Ps. Going to see radiohead tomorrow in Miami!
im jealous. only seen them once. well twice, one time in San Diego i saw them in 2006, and night 2 didnt have tickets but sat nearby, and heard them play their set.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #59
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

i think ultimately, it all depends on the artists. some artists post tweets daily about what they are listening to, what they are working on in the studio, post videos, and what have you. other artists refuse to engage with that stuff. i dont think one or the other is better or preferable.

2 other bands similar to damien would be radiohead and tool. Both highly respected, and rabid bands, with rabid fanbases. tool havent had a new album since 2006, and you never hear from any of them about studio work or when a new album is coming out. although, you hear rumors. Radiohead just put stuff out when they feel like it.

i think its the wrong way to view the situation if you are expecting something out of all this.

We are all here because we love and value the music and art damien has created. we all would like him to create more.

but i think the artists ive always respected, and damien seems to be one of these, they get into art because of the pleasure it brings them. Not for a monetary reward, or fame, or to please fans, to please critics. They only wish to try and please themselves and their muse.

Damien seems to be like that. I dont think thats going to change. The songs that came out of him for 0, I dont believe came out of him for any desire to be a beloved singer songwriter and that his songs would grace film soundtracks and movies, and tv shows. I also dont think he created 0 out of a desire to gain a happy fan base. he put the music and art out because he needed to express something.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #60
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

NBD... I'll save my excitement for when I see something. I've gotten excited too many times over this... Right now, this is not happening! Even though I want it to really bad, it's not!
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote