Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #61
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
Don't promise a new album if you're not going to make it.
I don't think he promised us anything. He announced that he is working on one or planning to release one sometime in the future. But plans change. All the time. And sometimes things don't work out the expected way. He probably just realised that the stuff he wrote or recorded is not good enough. Would you prefer him to release the album anyway, just to keep his "promise"?
(Besides, how many artists have broken "promises" like that? Most albums come out later that originally planned because writing, recording, mixing, whatever is taking longer than expected. That has absolutely nothing to do with respect for the fans.)

Quote:
Just shutup until its been decided.
Well that's basically what he's been doing for the last couple of years, hasn't he? But many people don't like that either, because they feel they have the "right" to know if there will or won't be another album. You just can't please everybody in his situation. And maybe that's why he doesn't even seem to try.

@vere: Hello to you too!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #62
glo32
Eskimo Regular

I don't think he ever "promised" anything...?
One thing is if he tours saying "the album is out in June" and then no album gets released at all, or if he announces the album on his website and then changes his plans.

But he never promised anything. He only replied to questions in those interviews. If someone asks him where his album is out, he replies "I don't know, everyone keeps asking, but for now I'm just working with a bunch of friends, recordign here and there"...
He never said "the album will be out in 2011" or things like that.

In the hotpress interview, he also said he wanted to tour Europe by boat. Do we really expect a boat tour? No. That's because if he wants to do something, it's not 100% sure it's going to happen. And not because it's Damien Rice. I wanted to join a gym last year but never did.

Ok, we have been told stuff like "Damien will do four special recording sessions in Iceland", but does that mean he's going to release a new album?
He did the Barcelona thing, ok, but what does it mean?

He did all those things to have more options, I think. He recorded with Steve Lillywhite and a bunch of other people. Now he probably has 40 songs recorded or to finish. But he didn't promise us he's going to release anything.
We only know he's working on that stuff, so we know he's not quitting music (yet). So a new album will probably be out at some point. But he doesn't "owe" us anything.
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #63
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

He never promised anything??? Did you not read the links I posted?

These are Damien's words:

Quote:
Tickets for Iceland recording sessions go on sale October 2
Tickets for Damien's four recording sessions in Iceland go on sale this Friday...
That was two and a half years ago. The show's happened and were recorded. Nothing has been released.

This has always been a problem of Damien's. Almost a decade ago he asked for fans to send him their personal memorabilia for inclusion in an upcoming DVD release. I suppose that'll be any day now.

Again, if he doesn't want to release an album, that's fine. But once he chose to drum up publicity by announcing that he's recording new albums and such, then he owes it to us to announce that the 10 Days to Barcelona recordings aren't going to be released. And the Reykjavík recordings aren't going to be released. And the Lillywhite recordings aren't going to be released. et al

This announcing things and then never commenting on them again is disrespectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
I don't think he ever "promised" anything...?
One thing is if he tours saying "the album is out in June" and then no album gets released at all, or if he announces the album on his website and then changes his plans.

So like when he hands out a flyer that says "New Album Spring 2012" and then immediately denies that he has a new album and doesn't release anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin@ View Post
Well that's basically what he's been doing for the last couple of years, hasn't he? But many people don't like that either, because they feel they have the "right" to know if there will or won't be another album. You just can't please everybody in his situation. And maybe that's why he doesn't even seem to try.
No, that's not what he's been doing. He's been talking about writing a song a day and then posting them on youtube. He announced not that he was playing shows in Iceland, but that he was RECORDING the shows in Iceland. He has gone out of his way to say he was making a new album, then feigns innocence "everyone else is asking for it, I don't know"... when he's behind the hype himself.

Last edited by mario_d; 02-27-2012 at 02:37 PM.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #64
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

damien could come out tomorrow and announce a new album released in a few months. that still wouldnt mean anything.

as ive pointed out, you need to read the paper more if you think what damien does is unique. Artists of all kinds, but many times in music, come out and say the albums due out this year and it never comes out. or it comes out years later. Happens all the time.

You are making it sound like once an artist decides on a release date of an album, or in this case, makes vague statements about when an album will be out, "new album will be out in the spring, or next fall", that this automatically means come hell or high water an album will be released at that time and no delays will happen.

You have no idea why there have been "delays" in making album 3. No clue.

Ever heard of Lil Wayne, or Jay Electronica? People promise new material all the time, and things come up, or the label dislikes the music, or the artist dislikes the music, or writers block sets in, or the artist decides to follow another muse etc...

until the label has the album in their hands i wouldnt put much stock in any date or vague statement by anyone. The label is the most important people in the release date scheme. Its financially hurtful to them to make statements like "an album is coming may 25" and then not deliver on that promise. the artist themselves can waffle and change their minds. labels dont waffle as much.
radiohead33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #65
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

although I cant find them, their are interviews from Damien as far back as 2003 talking about his 2nd record to be released in 2004.....2.5 yrs later in nov 2006, we get 9.
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #66
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead33 View Post
damien could come out tomorrow and announce a new album released in a few months. that still wouldnt mean anything.

as ive pointed out, you need to read the paper more if you think what damien does is unique. Artists of all kinds, but many times in music, come out and say the albums due out this year and it never comes out. or it comes out years later. Happens all the time.

You are making it sound like once an artist decides on a release date of an album, or in this case, makes vague statements about when an album will be out, "new album will be out in the spring, or next fall", that this automatically means come hell or high water an album will be released at that time and no delays will happen.

You have no idea why there have been "delays" in making album 3. No clue.

Ever heard of Lil Wayne, or Jay Electronica? People promise new material all the time, and things come up, or the label dislikes the music, or the artist dislikes the music, or writers block sets in, or the artist decides to follow another muse etc...

until the label has the album in their hands i wouldnt put much stock in any date or vague statement by anyone. The label is the most important people in the release date scheme. Its financially hurtful to them to make statements like "an album is coming may 25" and then not deliver on that promise. the artist themselves can waffle and change their minds. labels dont waffle as much.
I don't know why you can't comprehend this simple point:

Once you announce you are going to do something, then you owe it to your audience to either do it or announce when you cancel it.

Its a zero sum game. Either announce it and do it, announce it and cancel it, or don't say anything about it ever.

Announcing it and then just pretending it never happened, going in magazines and saying "people keep asking for this album but I'll do it when it's ready" (people are asking for the album because you said you wrote it four years ago and posted the youtube clips to prove it!) is disingenuous and disrespectful.

He's fanning the flames and then complaining about the fire.

Last edited by mario_d; 02-27-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #67
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

mario d, i think you are fundamentally wrong, in that you fail to understand why I, and im not a famous artist obviously, and why alot of other artists do art.

I doubt most artists, damien included sit down, create, write, record an album with the audience in mind. nor do they write for the audience. Sure all artists want the work to be heard, to be seen, to be recieved in a positive manner. But i dont think damien made 0 or 9 for you, or me, or anyone else. he made it for the simple act of creation of art, to express his feelings. Thats the heart of all artistic pursuits.

I would encourage you to look for other artists outside damien, artists in the many mediums. delays, projects that never come out, never come to fruition, or get released years later is common. More artists other than damien do it. You act like its a flaw in his character. When in reality Its human nature, and also the nature of creative activities.

lots of artists, musicians, directors, actors, painters, writers have announced throughout time that a project was coming out at such and such a date. And throughout time artists have sometimes waffled, or changed their minds, or scraped the material, started again, met with resistance from labels and publishers etc... Go on IMDB, check out the movie schedule for the summer. Movies are scheduled to release to theaters for June, and July. Those movies may not be shown, they may be shelved, the director may scrap the project etc...

Back in 1999, marilyn manson, was claiming he was going to publish a graphic novel based on his album Holy Wood. I remember reading interviews at that time where he said it was coming out in a few months. Its never been published and its never come out, and its 2012.

this happens all the time.

I dont know about you, but i'd rather be an artist who, and support art and artists who create for the sake of creating, and because its meaningful to them, rather than to please fans, an audience, or that they feel like they have to

As I said, none of us have a clue why he hasnt released album 3. To sit in judgement of that is naive at best.

I think you fundamentally misinterpret the purpose and the nature of an artist in society. They arent really here to serve us. Thats not why art exists. Van Gogh didnt paint because he wanted to meet a deadline and get new material out to his few fans at the time, and Shakespeare didnt write plays to please his audience, Steinbeck didnt write novels to please his audience. All these great artists were compelled, by their muse, by god, by the mere nature of the situation to get their feelings out and heard.

Ultimately the artist answers only to themselves. he;s not going to make an album because i radiohead33 say he should, nor will he make one because you mario say he should, nor would he if this entire board demanded he make one. His label probably couldnt even force him to.

The artist/audience relationship doesnt work the way you seem to think it does. He didnt make 0 or 9 for me, although i may feel he did and relate to it. And he wont make album 3 for you nor me. Nor anyone else. Thats just not how art is made or created
Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #68
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

this thread is a good read lol................
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 AM   #69
Shahar
Cheers Darling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex View Post
this thread is a good read lol................
It is!
Old 02-28-2012, 03:42 AM   #70
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
mario d, i think you are fundamentally wrong, in that you fail to understand why I, and im not a famous artist obviously, and why alot of other artists do art.

I doubt most artists, damien included sit down, create, write, record an album with the audience in mind. nor do they write for the audience. Sure all artists want the work to be heard, to be seen, to be recieved in a positive manner. But i dont think damien made 0 or 9 for you, or me, or anyone else. he made it for the simple act of creation of art, to express his feelings. Thats the heart of all artistic pursuits.

I would encourage you to look for other artists outside damien, artists in the many mediums. delays, projects that never come out, never come to fruition, or get released years later is common. More artists other than damien do it. You act like its a flaw in his character. When in reality Its human nature, and also the nature of creative activities.

lots of artists, musicians, directors, actors, painters, writers have announced throughout time that a project was coming out at such and such a date. And throughout time artists have sometimes waffled, or changed their minds, or scraped the material, started again, met with resistance from labels and publishers etc... Go on IMDB, check out the movie schedule for the summer. Movies are scheduled to release to theaters for June, and July. Those movies may not be shown, they may be shelved, the director may scrap the project etc...

Back in 1999, marilyn manson, was claiming he was going to publish a graphic novel based on his album Holy Wood. I remember reading interviews at that time where he said it was coming out in a few months. Its never been published and its never come out, and its 2012.

this happens all the time.

I dont know about you, but i'd rather be an artist who, and support art and artists who create for the sake of creating, and because its meaningful to them, rather than to please fans, an audience, or that they feel like they have to

As I said, none of us have a clue why he hasnt released album 3. To sit in judgement of that is naive at best.

I think you fundamentally misinterpret the purpose and the nature of an artist in society. They arent really here to serve us. Thats not why art exists. Van Gogh didnt paint because he wanted to meet a deadline and get new material out to his few fans at the time, and Shakespeare didnt write plays to please his audience, Steinbeck didnt write novels to please his audience. All these great artists were compelled, by their muse, by god, by the mere nature of the situation to get their feelings out and heard.

Ultimately the artist answers only to themselves. he;s not going to make an album because i radiohead33 say he should, nor will he make one because you mario say he should, nor would he if this entire board demanded he make one. His label probably couldnt even force him to.

The artist/audience relationship doesnt work the way you seem to think it does. He didnt make 0 or 9 for me, although i may feel he did and relate to it. And he wont make album 3 for you nor me. Nor anyone else. Thats just not how art is made or created

You have got to be kidding me.

Why artists make art? To make money. Damien is a commercial artist, he has a record contract.

Get your head out of the fictional society you think exists and come back to reality.

You think a painter can promise a gallery he'll do an exhibition, then just never show up?

If damien wanted to make art for art's sake, he wouldn't be selling tickets or doing press interviews or posting youtube videos of the 10 days to madrid. He'd just go sit on a porch, or wander into open mic nights, play his guitar and leave.

He signed a record contract. He sells albums. He won't allow open taping of live shows because he wants to make the money himself. He made O and 9 to make money. And he treats the people who made him rich and famous with far too little respect.

Quote:
More artists other than damien do it. You act like its a flaw in his character. When in reality Its human nature, and also the nature of creative activities.
Your argument boils down to "Lots of artists act this way, that's how the relationship works". And the point you don't seem to comprehend is: that doesn't make it right. See, look how this works: "You don't understand the husband/wife relationship. Lots of husbands beat their wives. You act like its a flaw in his character. When in reality Its human nature, and also the nature of love."

It's a lack of respect for his fans.

Last edited by mario_d; 02-28-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #71
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

wow, youve got to be kidding me. this is naive and silly, im done.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 AM
maihaidang
This message has been deleted by maihaidang.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #72
maihaidang
Eskimo Baby

I don't know why his new website has the words "New website in utero". Everyone know what "in utero" mean?
maihaidang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #73
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^I take it you're not a Nirvana fan haha the 'utero' is where the babies are

actually I was wondering... Damien is not under a record company rooster, I mean, he's his own record company... he might have distribution deals with other countries, but he's DMR, or I'm off???????

in regards to all the talk from the last pages, that he's recording shows that he wants to make a record. But he will release it when he's happy with it, not when we want to, of course. And that's how it should be. Record company pressures mostly result in rushed disappointing albums from many artists. And also doing recording sessions doesn't mean keeping them, many many times those are scrapped and nothing remains... was reading the other day an interview with Nerina Pallot in which she explained how for her 3rd album they sent her to LA and she spent 3 months writing and recording with Linda Perry, the record company spent $$$$, then she listened, decided it didn't work, and abandoned the whole thing... so who knows what happened with the Damo NY sessions?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #74
maihaidang
Eskimo Baby

thanks borneoman for the heads up! ^^
maihaidang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #75
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
in regards to all the talk from the last pages, that he's recording shows that he wants to make a record. But he will release it when he's happy with it, not when we want to, of course. And that's how it should be.
And that's fine. But don't say "I'm recording these shows for an album" and then pretend it never happened.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #76
cille
creepycute

^Agreed. Damien is reminding me more and more of Billy Corgan in that respect...

The 'in utero' thing - does that mean it'll be nine months?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #77
Agent99
Eskimo Regular

In utero technically means to be developing or not born yet - with no sense of time attached, even though it usually refers to pregnancy.
Agent99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #78
cille
creepycute

I know but someone above seemed somehow disturbed by the use of the word.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #79
Undocorkscrew
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
Ps. Going to see radiohead tomorrow in Miami!
Quick favor, is there any way you could possibly destroy that entire city without killing anyone?
Undocorkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #80
Rose
Eskimo Baby

I am anxious for a new album too, but I wouldn't expect or want him to release anything he wasn't totally happy with. Being his own record label gives him that freedom.
I've had some experience with what happens when artists let record companies pressure them to do something they don't want to....it usually sucks. Luckily he doesn't have that.
He is an artist...and he is free to create or not create. Arguing and saying he owes you something isn't going to make it happen. Clearly, he is not motivated by money or fame.
I hope he does release something soon...and whenever, or IF ever it happens...I'll be really excited to hear it.
Luckily, the stuff that is already out there is so great, I never get sick of hearing it.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #81
faninor
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
I am anxious for a new album too, but I wouldn't expect or want him to release anything he wasn't totally happy with. Being his own record label gives him that freedom.
I've had some experience with what happens when artists let record companies pressure them to do something they don't want to....it usually sucks. Luckily he doesn't have that.
He is an artist...and he is free to create or not create. Arguing and saying he owes you something isn't going to make it happen. Clearly, he is not motivated by money or fame.
I hope he does release something soon...and whenever, or IF ever it happens...I'll be really excited to hear it.
Luckily, the stuff that is already out there is so great, I never get sick of hearing it.
I agree with this. At the same time, I also think of damienrice.com as a commercial website and that whoever updates the site should be trying to keep fans informed with accurate information.

Quote:
10 Days to Barcelona
On June 1st 2008, myself and my friends Ryan (images) & Mia (navigation) set off on a last-minute road trip from Dublin to Barcelona, squished into my little ol' mini with a portable recording studio. The idea is to stop off along the way in random places where I have to write and record a new song every day, either in the mini or outdoors on a rock or something. 10 days = 10 songs = album Nuevo.
When I read that, I thought it meant we would be hearing more about the new album soon. Several people in this thread keep saying that a new album has never been promised. I think posting about a new album in the news section of your commercial website is as good as a promise, and will leave fans with hopes and expectations.

I don't think anything has been mentioned since the end of the roadtrip? It doesn't take a lot of effort to put a message out that plans have changed, or that the album wouldn't be coming as soon as people might expect.

It's not a big deal. Someday I'll probably hear a new album from Damien. Until then I won't believe a word his website says about it.
faninor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #82
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ i get your point, and everyone else´s one... but its damien who are we talking about. it isn´t a surprise for me at all... despite that i´m longing for a new record since many years ago, you know.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #83
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I think we should wait, got the feeling this won't be a one-off and more will be announced
Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #84
cille
creepycute

We wait, always we wait...
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #85
faninor
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
^ i get your point, and everyone else´s one... but its damien who are we talking about. it isn´t a surprise for me at all...
True, I know this now, but did not in 2008. I think I became a fan sometime in 2004 or 2005 and never obsessed over him and haven't frequently read or listened to interviews. I pretty much depended on his website, plus Eskimo Friends after I found it, to get news, and didn't know that I should be skeptical. I just listened to the 10 days to Barcelona videos for the first time today -- originally I was just going to wait for the album. Haha.
faninor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #86
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

great point. ultimately anyone who has followed damien for awhile should know how he works, how he interacts or doesnt interact with fans, how he approaches and records the music and albums etc...

its pretty clear he made 0 and got into music for himself, to express something. Not to sell records or be famous, or satisfy fans.

the 6 year break between new albums is frustrating but its completely in character for damien.

no one here knows exactly what damien is really like, but id be shocked if he is someone who courts fame and money and status. i dont get the sense he wrote 0 or 9 to buy a corvette or bmw. or that he lies awake at night worrying what we as fans think. sure all artists want to be heard, but its a delusion of magnificent proportions to suggest that damien owes us music, or an album or a tour, or anything at all. thats just flat out not the role he plays, nor is it the role any artist in history has played, or at least artists i respect. My guess is Delicate, or Rootless Tree, The animals were gone, came from pure, honest places, and they didnt come out of this idea on this board that seem to think they came from, namely that damien wrote them to satisfy his audience and fans. Thats just such a fundamental misunderstanding of the creative process and the role any art plays in society and to the artist themselves.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #87
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
no one here knows exactly what damien is really like, but id be shocked if he is someone who courts fame and money and status.
Which is why he dated Renee Zellwigger?

Which is why three years ago he went to Hot Press to spill the beans on his not-so-secret relationship with Lisa? http://www.hotpress.com/archive/6125747.html

That was blatant attention whoring.

Quote:
i dont get the sense he wrote 0 or 9 to buy a corvette or bmw. or that he lies awake at night worrying what we as fans think. sure all artists want to be heard, but its a delusion of magnificent proportions to suggest that damien owes us music, or an album or a tour, or anything at all. thats just flat out not the role he plays, nor is it the role any artist in history has played, or at least artists i respect. My guess is Delicate, or Rootless Tree, The animals were gone, came from pure, honest places, and they didnt come out of this idea on this board that seem to think they came from, namely that damien wrote them to satisfy his audience and fans. Thats just such a fundamental misunderstanding of the creative process and the role any art plays in society and to the artist themselves.
Do you think he tripped and hit record while playing those songs? Then misplaced them at a record company's front door? And they illegally sold it for him?

He wrote them for whatever reason he wrote them. He recorded them, sold them to a record label, hired a band, booked gigs, and showed up at those shows in order to get rich and famous.

He owes us an album or an explanation why all the albums he's promised us haven't come to fruition.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #88
Ceren
Dreamer Deceiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
Which is why he dated Renee Zellwigger?

Which is why three years ago he went to Hot Press to spill the beans on his not-so-secret relationship with Lisa? http://www.hotpress.com/archive/6125747.html

That was blatant attention whoring.

Do you think he tripped and hit record while playing those songs? Then misplaced them at a record company's front door? And they illegally sold it for him?

He wrote them for whatever reason he wrote them. He recorded them, sold them to a record label, hired a band, booked gigs, and showed up at those shows in order to get rich and famous.

He owes us an album or an explanation why all the albums he's promised us haven't come to fruition.
Hey, hey calm down! No one, No one here agrees with you here I'm so sure!!

Why are you here anyway? You don't have the right to upset people with your creepy way of thinking!
Ceren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #89
cmigliaccio
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceren View Post
Hey, hey calm down! No one, No one here agrees with you here I'm so sure!!

Why are you here anyway? You don't have the right to upset people with your creepy way of thinking!
Mario's done a lot more for this fan community than most. He's responsible for many live tapings and for putting together the live archive. He has every right to say what he feels.

I think he's being a bit cynical about Damien's intentions, but I'm with him that announcing projects and then never following through (especially when they haven't been replaced by anything else - it's not like he said he would release a live album and gave us a studio one instead, there's been literally almost nothing for 5+ years) is disappointing. If he can tell a magazine about his relationship, he can communicate with his fans every now and then.
cmigliaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #90
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmigliaccio View Post
Mario's done a lot more for this fan community than most. He's responsible for many live tapings and for putting together the live archive. He has every right to say what he feels.

I think he's being a bit cynical about Damien's intentions, but I'm with him that announcing projects and then never following through (especially when they haven't been replaced by anything else - it's not like he said he would release a live album and gave us a studio one instead, there's been literally almost nothing for 5+ years) is disappointing. If he can tell a magazine about his relationship, he can communicate with his fans every now and then.

you guys must have some interesting connections with bands or are fans of bands im not. what he does and is doing is normal. Tool is a band that acts alot like Damien. They havent released a new album since 2006 either and we get "they are in the studio" "they arent recording at all" all the time. Radiohead is another band like this. Radiohead has their website to talk to fans but usually they just release the album when they feel like. you dont get thom or johnny giving updates from the studio normally.

indeed people on this board can say and believe whatever they want. doesnt make it true or ethical. and to expect an artist to check in, update us, to give us an album every few years, is insane, just flat out insane. Its not how the real world works. if you want to think thats how art of any kind is created, you are more than welcome to believe it. but just know thats not reality.

The idea that artists need to be there for fans, to update us on their lives or their albums or art is i think a result of twitter and facebook, but also i think its a dangerous attitude to have. When you start expecting artists to cater to your own needs, to update you, to fill you in, to give you a product, i think thats naive, and more than a little disturbing.

Ultimately all art is created out of love. The artist loves what they are doing, and or needs to express something. In all mediums this is the case. Daniel Day Lewis didnt make There Will Be Blood to satiate fans and to give them a product because he was worried they'd be angry with him. He did it because he loved the script, the director and the story.

This isnt unique. I think its an incredibly disturbing trend if people on here are demanding he update them, give them an album and talk to them. His job is to make music, art period. End of story. And its all artists right to not make art. He can put out a record every year, or never make another record again and become a farmer again in italy. Thats his life. When you start talking about dictating artists lives and how they do their art thats frankly a scary and bizaare step to take. Its not reality.

The fact is he created the 2 albums not for you, or anyone on here. But for himself and because he was obviously feeling heavy emotions. If you think he made the records for any other reason you are out of your mind.

You guys need to get out more. You act like he's the only musician that doesnt update fans or put out music every few years. Ever heard of fiona apple? havent heard squat from her in 6 ot 7 years then this year announces she has a new record out in a few months. She certainly didnt keep us updated.

Get out and experience life people.

Pretty sad if art has become all about satiating fans and not about art made for the pure love of art.