Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 10-24-2007, 05:08 AM   #121
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Default Free Suu Kyi

Suu Kyi rallies planned worldwide (wednesday, october 24th - today!)

Demonstrations are planned in 12 cities worldwide against Burma's continuing detention of democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other political prisoners.

Wednesday marks 12 years in detention for the Nobel Peace Prize winner, and the protests are being staged outside Chinese embassies.

Campaigners say China holds the key to Aung San Suu Kyi's release.

A UN envoy is in China seeking to raise pressure on Burma's junta after last month's bloody crackdown on dissent.

Rallies are due to be held in London, Paris, Berlin, Dublin, Vienna, Sydney, Washington, Toronto, New York, Brasilia, Bangkok and Cape Town.

Six female Nobel peace laureates have jointly appealed to the UN urging it to help Ms Suu Kyi gain her freedom.

"The detention of Aung San Suu Kyi is the most visible manifestation of the regime's brutality but it is only the tip of the iceberg"
Excerpt from appeal signed by Nobel peace laureates Jody Williams, Shirin Ebadi, Wangari Maathai, Rigoberta Menchu Tum, Betty Williams and Mairead Corrigan Maguire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Yes, it is. And as far as I know, its also a general flag of the revolutions and I suppose itwill be the one of an armed uprising too (if there will be one at anytime in the future) it would fit it well.
i think this is the second time you've mentioned taking up arms. i'm beginning to wonder if that's what it's going to take, i don't think the junta are ever going to relinquish their power willingly..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:09 AM   #122
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
i think this is the second time you've mentioned taking up arms. i'm beginning to wonder if that's what it's going to take, i don't think the junta are ever going to relinquish their power willingly..
It is. I think this cannot be solved peacefully...If only the Northern guerillas would re-activate themselves and somehow could get weapons flowing through one of the borders. Either this, or wait the the junta dies out and pray for them not to have sons...

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #123
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Monks in Burma March For First Time Since Crackdown
By Heda Bayron
Hong Kong
31 October 2007

Bayron report (MP3) - Download 637k audio clip
Listen to Bayron report (MP3) audio clip

More than one-hundred Buddhist monks have marched in Burma for the first time since the military government used military force to crush pro-democracy protests last month. As VOA's Heda Bayron reports from our Asia News Center in Hong Kong, the march came as a human-rights group says Burma's military continues to recruit children to fill the ranks of its powerful army.

Witnesses say the march in Pakokku, northwest of Rangoon, was peaceful, and the monks did not make any political statement. They say the monks prayed for several minutes and then returned to their monasteries.

Nevertheless, it was the first time Buddhist monks have appeared in force on Burmese streets since a violent crack down on pro-democracy protests last month that killed at least 10 people.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-10-31-voa6.cfm

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Block Burmese JADE (Junta's Anti-Democratic Efforts) Act of 2007:
Get Your Representative to Co-Sponsor!

Dear Melissa,

Congressman Tom Lantos (D-CA) introduced new sanctions to cut off major revenue from Burma's military junta. The Block Burmese JADE (Junta's Anti- Democratic Efforts) Act of 2007 has the power to force the regime to negotiate with Burma's democracy leaders and Ethnic nationalities. We must show the people of Burma that the U.S. is taking action to support their calls for freedom, democracy and human rights. Call and write to your Representative today asking them to support the Block Burmese JADE Act! Organize your community to call in as well. Find your Representative and their contact info here - http://www.house.gov/writerep .

What the Act Does:

The regime makes hundreds of millions of dollars each year of the sale of gems. More than 90 percent of the world's rubies and fine-quality jade comes from Burma. The new sanctions will crack down on the regime's practice of avoiding U.S. sanctions by laundering gemstones through third countries before they are sold.

This Act also freezes the assets of Burmese political and military leaders, prevents Burma from using U.S. financial institutions via third countries to launder the funds of those leaders or their immediate families, and prohibits Burmese officials involved in the violent suppression of protesters from receiving visas to the United States.

"This legislation will turn off a huge cash spigot for the thuggish Burmese regime," Lantos said. "If my colleagues come together and act quickly to pass these new sanctions, we can put an end to huge profits for the junta and its unscrupulous middle-men. We must ensure that the sale of some of the Earth's most beautiful natural resources does not continue to enable the horrors inflicted upon the people of Burma."

Burma also uses third countries to access the U.S. banking system. These overseas banks process accounts in and through the United States for Burma's rulers, providing the regime with much-needed hard currency. The regime uses these funds to purchase weapons and luxury goods, while the bulk of Burma's population lives in poverty.

Lantos' legislation tightens existing sanctions to prevent Burma's military rulers from profiting from sales to the United States, and blocks access to the U.S. financial system not just for Burmese human rights violators but also to those who provide the regime with banking services.

The Block Burmese JADE (Junta's Anti-Democratic Efforts) Act of 2007, if passed, would be the strongest action yet that the U.S. takes to pressure Burma's military regime to negotiate with Burma's democracy leaders and ethnic nationalities.

Contact information:

Contact information on your individual representative can be found easily by accessing the House website, www.house.gov/writerep . Once there, enter your zip code in the "Find your representative" box in the top left corner of the screen. This will give you a link to his House site, with all the relevant contact information.

Contact your representative's staffer. If he is not there leave a message and ask him to call you back. Call today and call every day until you get an answer!

To add their name as a cosponsor

Let them know that to co-sponsor they should contact Eric Richardson at the Committee on Foreign Affairs office at eric.richardson@mail.house.gov or 225-5021.

Talking Points for Staffer:

- Tell the staffer you want your representative to co-sponsor the Block Burmese JADE Act of 2007

- Give her/him proof that this policy works. It cuts off hundreds of millions of dollars to the regime and will specifically target the top generals' finances.

- Mention that the military junta still deserves sanctions. On top of brutally crushing thousands of peaceful demonstrators, including monks, the military regime has destroyed more than 3,000 villages. It has forcibly displaced more than half a million people inside Burma as well as causing a million refugees to flee across the border to neighboring countries and has made no efforts to move toward democracy.

- Let her/him know it is important to send a strong signal to the regime that the US government will continue to keep American money out the hands of the junta.

- This is not the only action being taken against Burma. On top of many diplomatic efforts, the EU has imposed new sanctions, as well as Australia, and even Japan has decreased aid to Burma.

- Finally ask the staffer to call you back when your representative has co-sponsored the Block Burmese JADE Act. Important: Leave your phone number!

Let him/her know that his/her constituents care about Burma!

Please let me know when you have contacted your Representative and how it went - thelma@uscampaignforburma.org. These new sanctions will hit the regime where it hurts.

Support 1991 Nobel Peace Prize recipient Aung San Suu Kyi and the struggle for freedom and democracy in Burma.
Become a member of the United States Campaign for Burma today.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #124
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

ibrahim gambari is back in burma

UN Envoy meets with Burmese leaders

------------------------------------------------------------

British supporters plan to send piano to Aung San Suu Kyi

The Associated Press
Published: November 4, 2007

LONDON: A group of prominent British women has raised funds to send a piano to detained Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, a British newspaper reported Sunday.

The Sunday Times said the group, led by actress Maureen Lipman, hoped to replace the broken piano currently owned by the music-loving democracy advocate, who has been under house arrest for years.

"It just seemed a good and nice idea," Lipman was quoted as saying.

Visitors have reported that Suu Kyi helped pass the time in detention by playing works by Bach and other composers. The Sunday Times said her piano had broken down through heavy use in Myanmar's tropical climate.

The newspaper said Eurythmics singer Annie Lennox, film producer Norma Heyman and arts fundraiser Joyce Hytner were among supporters of the plan. It said the group had already raised money for the piano, but had not yet bought one or settled on a way to ship the instrument to Myanmar.

Lipman could not immediately be reached for comment Sunday.

Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy won 1990 elections in Myanmar, also known as Burma, but the ruling military junta refused to hand over power. Suu Kyi, 62, has spent about 12 of the past 18 years in detention without trial. She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991.

-- i think this gesture is so moving. what an amazing idea on the part of these women

i've always wondered if she has ever been allowed to hear unplayed piano, and if so what she thinks of it. i can only imagine she would find it beautiful and comforting and inspiring. i hope she's heard it..
Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 AM   #125
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

I was sent this e-mail today and thought i'd pass it along ... i'm not sure how effective this kind of things are but if you own a car then you should sign this and boycott!!! ...
also pass it along....

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaaz.org
Will you pledge to join the global boycott of Chevron and Total? The boycott will last until the companies withdraw from Burma, or until the Burmese junta begins a genuine democratic transition and frees all political prisoners--including Aung San Suu Kyi. We'll deliver all the pledges and comments straight to the top management of Chevron and Total. You can see what brands to avoid in your country and take the pledge, at:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/burma_corporate

French oil giant Total (which also owns ELF and FINA) and U.S.-based Chevron (which also owns Texaco, Caltex an Unocal) have been operating the Yadana natural gas pipeline in southern Burma since the early '90s.The junta takes in an estimated $450 million a year from the Yadana project alone--and uses that money to maintain its brutal control, while most people in Burma live in dire poverty. To keep their profits flowing, Chevron and Total lobby hard in the U.S. and Europe against government measures to support a democratic transition in Burma.

For companies like this, it's all about the bottom line. We must show them that if they keep backing the Burmese dictatorship, they will lose their customers--by the tens of thousands, the hundreds of thousands, even by the millions.

With enough pressure in the pocket book, we could actually get these companies to switch sides--using their enormous leverage with the Burmese regime to push for the democratic reforms necessary to call off the boycott. It just requires more loss from the boycott than profit from the junta.

Could that happen? Yes--if we act together. That's why we're raising a call for an international boycott of Total and Chevron. The pledge: to refuse to buy fuel from any Total, Chevron, ELF, FINA, Texaco or Caltex station in our home countries and wherever we travel. The boycott will last until the Burmese junta begins a genuine democratic transition and frees all political prisoners--including Aung San Suu Kyi --or until these companies exit Burma completely.

To make sure our voice is heard, we'll deliver all the boycott pledges and comments straight to the senior corporate management of Chevron and Total Oil. You can add your name to the boycott pledge today, at:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/burma_corporate

We've all witnessed the rise of global corporations whose power crosses national boundaries. But today, Chevron and Total are going to witness the rise of something greater: global people power. Today, as consumers and wold citizens, we stand up together to demand justice for the people of Burma – and our voices will be heard.

With hope,

Ricken, Paul, Pascal, Graziela, Galit, Ben, Milena, Sarah, Iain - the whole Avaaz team

P.S. Chevron and Total often try to hide behind the argument that their presence benefits the Burmese population. But the call to target Chevron and Total comes directly from the people of Burma themselves:

"Total has become the main supporter of the Burmese military regime."

-- Aung San Suu Kyi
Nobel Peace Prize winner and last elected leader of Burma

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:43 AM   #126
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran
I was sent this e-mail today and thought i'd pass it along ... i'm not sure how effective this kind of things are but if you own a car then you should sign this and boycott!!! ...
also pass it along....
boycotts and economic sanctions can be very effective, because they hit the junta right where it hurts (in the pocketbook)

just an update on recent events:

UN Committee Approves Myanmar Resolution

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — A U.N. General Assembly committee approved a draft resolution Tuesday strongly condemning the Myanmar government's crackdown on peaceful protesters and calling on the military junta to immediately release political prisoners.

The vote in the assembly's human rights committee was 88-24 with 66 abstentions. The resolution now needs the backing of the 192-nation world body. General Assembly resolutions are not legally binding but they do reflect world opinion.

The draft resolution calls on Myanmar's military government "to desist from further arrests and violence against peaceful protesters" and to lift "all restraints on the peaceful political activity of all persons by ... guaranteeing freedom of peaceful assembly and association and freedom of opinion and expression."

It also calls on the junta to provide U.N. special adviser Ibrahim Gambari with unrestricted access to all parties — including ethnic minority representatives, student leaders and dissident monks — and to engage with him to achieve "effective progress towards the restoration of democracy and the protection of human rights in Myanmar."

link

Myanmar faces calls for Suu Kyi release at Asia summit

SINGAPORE (AFP) — Myanmar was hit Wednesday with demands to release democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi and criticism over its bloody crackdown on dissent, at a regional summit that embraced its friends and foes.

The East Asia Summit, which groups Southeast Asia with heavyweights China and Japan as well as Australia, India, New Zealand and South Korea, wrapped up four days of regional talks dominated by the crisis in the military state.

Philippine President Gloria Arroyo issued a stern call for the ruling generals to immediately release opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who has been under house arrest for 12 of the past 18 years.

"Let me be very clear. We embrace the advances of ASEAN but remain concerned about the pace of progress in Myanmar on the issue of human rights," said Arroyo, whose country belongs to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).

link
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ASEAN, EU call for release of political prisoners in Myanmar

SINGAPORE (via PLDT) -- Leaders of Southeast Asia and the European Union have called for the release of political prisoners in Myanmar even as they welcomed steps being taken by military junta to democratize.

The 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations and the 27-nation EU in a joint communiqué called Thursday for the “release of political detainees in Myanmar, including those recently detained, and the early lifting of restrictions placed on political parties.”

The East Asia Summit, which groups Southeast Asia with heavyweights China and Japan as well as Australia, India, New Zealand and South Korea, wrapped up four days of regional talks in this city-state dominated by the crisis in Myanmar.

At a commemorative summit to mark 30 years of diplomatic ties, ASEAN and EU leaders said they "welcome the decision of the government of Myanmar to step up its engagement with the UN and to enter into a dialogue with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, recalling that such a dialogue should be conducted with all concerned parties and ethnic groups."

link

so the international community continues to put serious pressure on the junta, but they talk out of both sides of their mouth saying they're working toward democracy and reconciliation, but then went and arrested two leaders of the NLD (national league for democracy - suu kyi's party) just days ago amidst all of this worldwide condemnation of their actions..

also, a front page report on Paulo Sergio Pinheiro, UN Human Rights Envoy, who was allowed to visit the country for the first time in 4 years, was censored by the junta. they made the newspaper print the story in silver ink at the last minute.. the junta also expelled the main UN diplomat to Burma Charles Petrie, right before Gambari arrived, for openly criticizing the military regime, saying he acted beyond his capacity and was no longer welcome in their country.

Than Shwe (the leader of the junta) still has not met with Suu Kyi and Gambari (the UN special envoy) left burma without meeting with him this time as well. Gambari angered the junta by publicly releasing a statement from Aung San Suu Kyi:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...ar-UN-Text.php
Old 12-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #127
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Help Give Aung San Suu Kyi the Most Prominent Award in the U.S...

Quote:
We are asking for your help in drawing more attention to Aung San Suu Kyi, the leader of Burma's democracy movement who has increasingly become a hero to people around the world. Often called "Burma's Gandhi" or "Burma's Nelson Mandela ", Aung San Suu Kyi has been nominated for the Congressional Gold Medal -- the most prestigious award given by the US government.

Some of the world's most prominent leaders in governments, human rights, and the arts have won the award, including Mother Theresa, Winston Churchhill, Nelson Mandela, his Holiness the Dalai Lama, Martin Luther King Jr, Robert Frost, and Elie Wiesel.

Here is how it works: legislation bestowing a Congressional Gold Medal upon a recipient must be co-sponsored by two-thirds of the membership of both the House of Representatives and the Senate before their respective committees will consider it.
The process for her to win this award involves democracy. That's why we need your help!

Congressmen Joseph Crowley (D-NY) and Donald Manzullo (R-IL) have introduced a bill in the US House of Representatives to honor Aung San Suu Kyi with the award. To help give them your support, please call your members of the US House of Representatives today and urge them to co-sponsor the bill.

Below are easy instructions on how to do this.

This award will generate major international attention on Aung San Suu Kyi, and further increase global resolve for her necessary and immediate unconditional release.
================================================== ===========
How to Find Your Representative:

- Go to www.house.gov and in the upper left hand corner plug in your zip code. That should bring up the contact number for your Representative's office in DC

What to say:

- Call in and ask to talk to the foreign affairs staffer. The person who initially answers the phone is not the person who makes decisions.

- Tell the staffer that you want your Representative to co-sponsor HR 4286, the bill that will award Aung San Suu Kyi the Congressional Gold Medal.

- Let him/her know the importance of Aung San Suu Kyi and the cause of Burma is to you.

- Call as often to ensure that your Representative co-sponsors.

- If the staffer is not there leave a voicemail saying what you want and ask them to call you back. (You don't have to wait to have them call you back, you can call them again)

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:14 AM   #128
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

^ she definitely deserves it..

Major Victory: Congress Slashes US Financial Flows to
Burma's Regime, Ends Trade in Gems, Timber, and Banks

Dear friends,

We usually don't send two messages in one week, but we wanted to tell you about a major victory that you accomplished!

Three months ago, when millions of Burma's people took the streets to demand human rights and democracy, the military regime responded with brutal force. We told you at that time that we all needed to stand up and be strong for the Burmese monks, students, and everyday people who risked their lives for values we share as Americans.

You did it!

Today, the US Senate passed legislation that slashes US financial flows to Burma's military regime. The bill makes it illegal to import precious gems and timber from Burma into the United States, and also makes it impossible for Burma's military regime to use American banks to hide or process their ill-gotten gains. This move follows similar legislation in the House of Representatives. These industries earn Burma's regime hundreds of millions per year, most likely from unsuspecting American consumers.

All told, the legislation will deny hundreds of millions of dollars per year to Burma's military regime.

We want to thank you, our 100 chapters throughout the United States, and hundreds of individuals and groups around the country for all of your hard work. Through phone calls, letters, faxes, and demonstrations you let the US Congress know that the American economy should not bankroll Burma's military regime, and because of your efforts they listened. We also want to thank active members of Congress from both political parties who answered your requests and worked so hard to make this happen.

Additionally, we want to acknowledge the principled stands taken by many American and international jewelers including Leber Jewelers, Tiffany, Bulgari, and Cartier as well as the Jewelers of America and the American Gem Trade Association. Each of these groups refuses to sell gems from Burma and/or supported this legislation.

We are not done yet -- we have much more work to do, including rallying leading voices around the world, building a strong international effort that includes millions of people, and pressing the United Nations Security Council to do its job.

For one moment though we'd like to pause and thank you again for your great teamwork, persistence, tenacity, and most importantly your passion for human rights. You just helped give a major holiday gift to the Burmese people's struggle for democracy.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #129
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

Quote:

A New Campaign Rallying One Million Citizens around the world
to turn off their televisions and boycott the Beijing Olympics
Unless China Ends Its Support for Burma's Military Regime

We are writing to ask for your help.

A few days ago, leading human rights activists inside Burma called on people throughout the world to turn off their televisions and not support the Beijing Olympics unless China stops propping up Burma's miltary regime.

In response, each and every citizen of conscience throughout the world has a decision to make: do we lend our support to China by watching the Olympics or do we turn off our televisions? We, and leaders of the democracy movement in Burma, are asking you to turn it off. In fact, we are asking one million people throughout the world to sign up to turn off their televisions and not participate in the Olympics, unless China changes its policies on Burma.

Here is why: China keeps Burma's military regime -- and its brutal human rights record -- in power.

- Burma's military regime has burned down or otherwise destroyed 3,200 ethnic minority villages, forcing 1.5 million refugees to flee their homes. Who is the #1 supplier of arms and weapons to the regime? China.

- Burma's regime has recruited more child soldiers than any other country in the world. Who is the Burmese military regime's leading supporter? China.

- Aung San Suu Kyi, the world's only imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize recipient, is locked up in prison along with 2,000 other political dissidents. Despite its huge influence, China refuses to call for her release.

- The United Nations has been completely paralyzed, unable to take any action to prevent genocide in Burma. Why? Because China has used its veto at the UN Security Council to block any meaningful action. As a result, the UN is making many of the same mistakes it made on Darfur and Rwanda.

Put simply, China is the funder, weapons supplier, and the diplomatic protector for Burma's military regime. Like the Berlin Olympics in 1936 that wrongly brought world acclaim to Adolf Hitler, the Beijing Olympics in 2008 are becoming a monument to suffering.

Adding insult to injury, the Olympics are scheduled to begin on August 8, 2008 -- the anniversary of a major massacre in Burma. On the same date in 1988, thousands of peaceful protesters were massacred by the regime during Burma's largest democracy uprising. Each year, thousands of people around the world commemorate this slaughter and honor those who spoke out for human rights and justice -- instead of supporting Beijing, we are asking you to think of Burma on that day.

Already, many people are speaking out. Nobel Peace Prize recipients Desmond Tutu and Jody Williams have said they will not support the Olympics. Prominent director Steven Spielberg ended his position working with the Olympics to protest China's support for the genocidal leaders ruling Darfur, Sudan.

After one million people sign up for this effort, we will let you know if China has changed its policies on Burma. If they do not, we will all turn off our televisions and personally boycott the Olympics.

Specifically, we are asking China to:

- Stop blocking a UN Security Council arms embargo on Burma and stop selling weapons to Burma's regime

- Demand the release of Aung San Suu Kyi and all political prisoners, an immediate cessation of attacks against ethnic minorities, and the discharging of all conscripted child soldiers

- Declare that China will not recognize the SPDC's constitution as long as Aung San Suu Kyi, democracy groups, and ethnic party representatives are excluded from participation

-Play a constructive role in facilitating peaceful negotiations in Burma between the military regime, Aung San Suu Kyi, and Burma's ethnic nationalties

Instead of watching the Olympics:

- 8.8.08 will be a day of commemoration for Burma. For the next 7 months we will be collecting pledges from a million people around the world who pledge to not watch the Olympics

- Also, we are asking those that sign up to not purchase Olympics merchandise or products from Olympic sponsors

- While not a requirement, we are also asking those who sign the petition to consider organizing an event for Burma on the opening day of the Olympics, such as a film-screening, protest at a Chinese embassy, prayer service, speaking event, or fundraiser.

- Before the event we will be encouraging (and have many tools on our website) for people to email Olympic corporate sponsors, write letters to the editor in their local paper, and spread the word to their friends.

Please add your name to the petition by signing up on our website so you can be one of one million people to raise your voices. We created a tool on our webpage so that when you sign up, you can easily ask your friends to sign up at the same time. It will only take a few clicks of your mouse.

We urge you to stand up with us and call for China to remove the taint of genocide and oppression from the Olympic Games.

Aung Din, Jeremy, Jennifer, and Thelma
US Campaign for Burma
www.uscampaignforburma.org

Again, the link is: website

Last edited by Cali; 02-27-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:24 AM   #130
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

i signed it and have been supporting this for a while now, a few kids and i actually started working on a campus campagine to post of fliers and raise awareness
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:55 AM   #131
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

that's really great cameron
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:09 AM   #132
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

yeah, nice one cam. i hadn't planned on watching, but it looks like i won't be drinking coke either.

Quote:
Adding insult to injury, the Olympics are scheduled to begin on August 8, 2008 -- the anniversary of a major massacre in Burma. On the same date in 1988, thousands of peaceful protesters were massacred by the regime during Burma's largest democracy uprising. Each year, thousands of people around the world commemorate this slaughter and honor those who spoke out for human rights and justice -- instead of supporting Beijing, we are asking you to think of Burma on that day.
this is especially troubling..
Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #133
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

well thanks guys, i'm trying to rally up some troops so i can get a strong group to help organize a viewing at Ball State University and the local ivy tech community college.

i don't goto ball state cause i cant afford it but i live right across the street from campus, so one of my teachers is going to help me get use of ballstates facilities if i pull together a good team, hopefully we can
Old 02-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #134
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
yeah, nice one cam. i hadn't planned on watching, but it looks like i won't be drinking coke either.

this is especially troubling..
yeah that part is really ****ed up to the max. i got a big posterboard in my window full of all the facts about what's happening and what they can do to help and to raise campus awareness to get my project going, so i always have people who live here starring at my window reading it lol
Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #135
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

that's good! i think most people aren't aware of what went on/is going on in burma, so that's really great what you're doing!

i tried sending emails to my coworkers about it but then i was told not to do that, not an appropriate use of county time
Old 02-28-2008, 06:42 AM   #136
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

haha, pshhh, tell em they are just insensitve bastards melissa! haha, i emailed it to all my teachers haha, i'm sure they'll either be really annoyed or really proud... we'll see.

i think it would be so cool to go over there as part of that group of students going over there!!