Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 11-25-2003, 07:53 PM   #1
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Just getting ready to head down for the Tempe, AZ gig tonight. My first Damo show, right on!!!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] I'll give a full report when I get home, later all!Edited by: mierk
Old 11-25-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
Krystian
Eskimo Regular

Lucky Mark

::seriously jealous [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]::

http://www.chrismahanukwanzakah.com/
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:58 PM   #3
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Hey my friend is going to the show to, She said that the show isn't sold out I can't believe that.. They are missing out... Cheers and have a great time!!

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:45 PM   #4
Angela
Eskimo Regular

So, you are having a great time right now, I gather! [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:59 PM   #5
Mojo_Pin1980
Eskimo Regular

*jealous*

[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2003, 03:16 AM   #6
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Heyyyy everybody, been home for a couple hours now and just it's a bummer that I don't have more Damo fans on my IM buddy list, cause I had to rave about the show to people who don't know who he is and don't really care. But I had a great time and anyone who gets a chance NEEDS to check him out.

I unfortunately didn't see anybody taping tonight, so the first visit to Arizona is going to have to go unarchived unless somebody was being sneaky, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The setlist was more mellow than most of the shows I've listened to, but those songs that do get loud and dissonant get VERY much so. The crowd was pretty good, mellow but very attentive and appreciative (with the exception of some twits in the back who kept knocking over beer bottles at the quietest parts!) and sitting through most of the concert except for the encore, when everyone just kinda crowded around the stage

Damien wasn't as talkative, but did have some banter with the crowd and tell some stories to introduce some of the songs, which everyone seemed to enjoy. He did tell an interesting story for the intro to Prague, saying that it grew out of some late night drunken ramblings with a friend about Hitler [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img] and speculating on what kind of personal, possessive demons drove him to do the things he did..hmmm, interesting...

I didn't have anything to write with, so I'm doing the setlist from memory, but here's as much as I can remember:

The Professor -> La Fille Danse
Volcano
The Blower's Daughter
Older Chests
Face
Amie
Prague
Be My Husband (Lisa)
Cold Water -> Hallelujah
I Remember
Encore:
Seven Nation Army (Vyvienne w/ Shane on drums)
Eskimo
Cannonball
Old 11-26-2003, 03:36 AM   #7
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Oh, and DUH...how could I forget, I got to say hi to Damien and Vyvienne after the show and got both of their autographs and a picture with Damien. I have to use up the other dozen pictures on the disposable camera, but hopefully I'll be able to do it this weekend. They were both very friendly, Vyvienne is really shy but WOW is she cute, lol! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2003, 07:25 AM   #8
andrea02
Eskimo Regular

I'm glad that you enjoyed the show. After I saw Damien during the summer for the first time, I was on this kinda euphoric high for a couple of days. I can't wait to have another chance to see him. OOHH, I also got meet him and get an autograph...he drew a little picture of me. It's soooo cute[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
andrea02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 07:29 AM   #9
katinka
Eskimo Regular

he kissed me...[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
katinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 07:35 AM   #10
andrea02
Eskimo Regular

REALLY!!???

jealous now
andrea02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 07:38 AM   #11
katinka
Eskimo Regular

really!

on several occasions...[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2003, 05:42 PM   #12
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by katinka
Dammit, I shoulda tried to make out with Vyvienne!!! [img]smileys/smiley15.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2003, 08:36 PM   #13
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Hey Mierk.. Did he do Yolk and/or Woman like a Man? Also how many people do you think were there?.. Arizona has such great radio stations I would have thought that he would be more popular!?

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
Old 11-26-2003, 09:56 PM   #14
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalogh
Hey Mierk.. Did he do Yolk and/or Woman like a Man? Also how many people do you think were there?.. Arizona has such great radio stations I would have thought that he would be more popular!?
Nope, neither, which I was bummed about since those 2 -- along with Cheers Darlin', which also didn't get played -- are my favorite songs. And since when do we have good radio in Phoenix? I barely even listen anymore cause it's so pathetic, and I certainly haven't heard them on the radio here. [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img] I'd say there were maybe 250, 300 people there? I'm lousy with guesstimating that kinda stuff and plus since I was up front I didn't really see how many people were in the back of the venue.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:02 PM   #15
Angela
Eskimo Regular

So, Mark, what did you think? I mean, you said it was great, and I enjoyed reading your review, but I'm curious to hear more how it was for you. This was the first time you saw him live, wasn't it? Was it what you expected? Or different? [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2003, 06:36 AM   #16
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

My friend lives in Chandler and she said that the college radio station plays good music?? That's to bad that he was so tame at your show. But I have read from the sfo show reviews that he is sick, perhaps he wasn't feeling those louder songs, I 'm sorry, he will be back I'm sure.. [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2003, 06:41 AM   #17
MentalTheo
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by katinka

Katinka, now I know whyyou love his music so much[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
MentalTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 06:49 AM   #18
katinka
Eskimo Regular

o no.

i loved his music first. and only thén he started kissing me ofcourse.[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2003, 06:50 AM   #19
MentalTheo
Eskimo Regular

Ja ja [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2003, 06:56 AM   #20
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Katinka did you really kiss him or are you just kidding? I'm so confused.I want to give him a kiss.. What's the secert?? SHHH don't tell my husband, although I think he would allow one small kiss he knows how much I love Damien[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2003, 06:59 AM   #21
katinka
Eskimo Regular

there's no secret. but my lips are sealed now.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:01 AM   #22
MentalTheo
Eskimo Regular

Of course : Sealed by a kiss!![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2003, 07:43 AM   #23
katinka
Eskimo Regular

o stop it [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2003, 07:46 AM   #24
MentalTheo
Eskimo Regular

Stop in the name of love[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2003, 01:38 AM   #25
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
So, Mark, what did you think? I mean, you said it was great, and I enjoyed reading your review, but I'm curious to hear more how it was for you. This was the first time you saw him live, wasn't it? Was it what you expected? Or different? [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Well since I've heard 5-6 other live shows, I had a fairly good idea what to expect -- like I knew when the punchlines were coming when he tells the intro story to Amie with the scottish accent and everything. I also had a good idea how loud and..."rock'n'roll-ish" things could get on songs like Face or the last half of I Remember. I actually still don't have "O," yet since I'm broke, so aside from maybe 2-3 mp3s I've downloaded I don't know how they sound studio-wise, but if all I had heard was the quiet, mellow songs from the album I woulda been shocked.

Like I said, I was a little disappointed that they didn't play a couple of songs that I particularly wanted to hear, and the set seemed alot shorter than I thought it would have been. But that's pretty much just nitpicking, honestly. The crowd was kinda mellow, but that could have been a reflection of the set and also that's better than having obnoxious screamers through the whole night!

So on the whole, I'd say that despite a couple of letdowns that really had more to do with my outsized expectations (and perhaps a little bit to do with the cute girl I was meeting at the show kinda blowing me off[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]), I was more than pleased with the show and he's definitely on my short list of "must see" artists.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:52 AM   #26
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Here is another review from a fan at the show,from damienrice.com, thought you guy's might be interested if you haven't read it yet:

i have to say it was absolutely amazing... it was one of the best shows i've ever been to! i had such a great time, they sounded sooooooooo great. i had a great seat/view, and wow... so many emotions... i was so happy to hear prague, as well. and damien with his little intro stories to certain songs...he's so charming!

for the encore, vyvienne came out by herself and played "seven nation army" from the white stripes (and sang!). she asked us to clap the beat and we did, it was so fun. i don't know the bass player's name, but he came out and got on the drums half-way through to finish the song with her. so great!

annnnnnnd after the show, i got to talk to damien for a bit (although i said a whole lot of nothing, geeked out fan girl that i am). and i spoke to vyvienne for a few seconds (spoke isn't the best word - gushed is more like it!). they both signed my cd as well! i was hoping to speak with lisa as well but she didn't come around (unfortunately).

it was great, though, realllllly great. i can't wait to see him again - i hope it's soon and it's at a small venue again.

if any of you haven't seen damien live yet, GO GO GO!!!

korina

Old 11-28-2003, 11:13 AM   #27
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mierk
Well since I've heard 5-6 other live shows, I had a fairly good idea what to expect (...)
Expectation certainly has a lot to do with it and I was in a similar boat as you, so I think I know where you are coming from. He did a fairly short set here in Boston, too (about an hour instead of the 2 1/2 he'd done elsewhere). So, I was like "What, tha's all?" (He had played an afternoon radio session, too, that's why.)

You should get a copy of the album. Eskimo in particular is amazing! I don't care much about how his voice was recorded, though. Way too muddy sounding compared to real life.

And I agree on the "must see" [img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2003, 11:14 AM   #28
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Thanks for posting the other review, jbalogh [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2003, 11:44 PM   #29
korina
Eskimo Baby

hey, that other review posted was mine! [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
korina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 12:25 AM   #30
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by korina
hey, that other review posted was mine! [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
Whoohooo, another local Damien fan! I was out back after the show too, the black guy in jeans and an ASU jacket. Glad to see there's someone else nearby![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]