Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 11-29-2003, 02:21 AM   #31
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Welcome Korina [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] Nice review! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:44 AM   #32
korina
Eskimo Baby

mierk - i'm sorry, i don't know if i saw you...i kind of stood back and let everyone talk to him (since i got him to sign my cd inside). i actually sat in my car to see if lisa would come out, and when i saw damien came out, i waited a bit, and finally went up to see if she was there (she wasn't. ).

my heartbreak of the evening? my camera battery being dead and not knowing it until i pulled out my camera to take a picture of damien while he stood a couple feet from me. of course, my camera batteries are expensive/not easily found photo lithium batteries and not AAA or AA (some of which i actually had with me).

*le sigh*

i hope he comes back to a smaller place like the marquee next time around - he said they were probably going to be back in the states in april/may... i swear, i am going to find a way to get press creds so i can take pictures...i would have had such excellent pictures from where i was sitting. =\

angela - thank you for the welcome!

korina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:54 AM   #33
korina
Eskimo Baby

HOLY CRAP!

i just pulled out my camera b/c i was going to check on battery prices and guess what? it's working now!!!

OH DAMN OH DAMN OH DAMN!!!

i'm guessing it wasn't working because the camera case had been in my trunk and the whole camera was quite cold...DAMN DAMN DAMN!

you don't understand what beautiful pictures my camera takes - it's a nikon n65 slr...

[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2003, 06:45 AM   #34
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Ok, I'm officially kicking myself now. Go read this story about my friend getting to hang out and chat for an hour with Damien after the show. Why oh why didn't I stay longer??? [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2003, 09:45 AM   #35
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Hey Korina, I just wanted to share your glowing review with the masses. ... Cheers and welcome [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Edited by: jbalogh

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 10:09 PM   #36
desire
Eskimo Baby

Damien's at the moment emotions completely fall out of his heart at his shows. In San Diego he was tired and sick and didn't say anything to the audience except for telling some noisy people to go outside. Thesound guy toldme that he almost lost his voice in San Francisco, but said that he was in good form for the show in Tempe. He also told me in San Diego that they were going in the studio to record a few songs. pretty soon (which I think has recently been mentioned on the news page). I also asked if the next album was really going to be just about the opposite of "O" as Damo keeps insisting and he said "very much so".In San Diego he just played for himself , and actually put on a very long show with a lot of jamming. In Tempe he was feeling good and talked a lot (maybe a little too much since it was a shorter show). Maybe the owners of the auditorium don't allow them to play too late? He played for the audience giving themalmost everything they wanted. Actually, I did tape it on a $29.00 mono tape player so I would have something to listen to on the 5 hour drive home. I tried to get him to play "grey room", but he said he would do it another time. He did check out the lyrics that I had written down for it and corrected a couple verses.
desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 10:21 PM   #37
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Wow how many shows did you hit?[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img] You lucky bum[img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 02:22 AM   #38
mierk
Eskimo Regular

I just finished listening to the San Diego show and he was definitely very non-talkative aside from telling the people to shut up, but they did some very different improv things with alot of the songs that was interesting to hear. I don't think there would have been any time limit on how late they played, the show got out between 11:30-12, and I was at a Blues Traveler show a couple months ago that went till after 12:30. Maybe he just didn't want to strain his voice further, which is understandable.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:24 AM   #39
korina
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mierk
Ok, I'm officially kicking myself now. Go read this story about my friend getting to hang out and chat for an hour with Damien after the show. Why oh why didn't I stay longer??? [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

oh man [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

i remember those girls - they were parked next to me. they were just waiting patiently, while a couple other people talked to him. i don't think they were talking to him, they were just hanging out by their car, listening and waiting. one of the other people wasan older dude originally from boston/east coast - he had a mini interview withdamien after the show, and was telling him about tempe, and talking to him about boston and blah.

i would have loved to talk to him more, but he seemed uncomfortable. my voice was dying, too. i was too geeked out - i really don't know what to say to people i admire, aside from that i admire them/what they do...

i finally left because i had totally outstayed my welcome, i think i left before the older dude did, but after the one security dude (who was like, eh...no one's going to bother him...he wasn't "protecting" him, he was chatting with me more. haha). so i left and i was happy but feeling very sick from a cold i was not nursing very well...

i wish i was one of those people that can be INTERESTING to talk to...i've met a bunch of musicians that i love, but i never knew what to say to bridge that fan gap. i mean, back in 93, i was very early for a smashing pumpkins show (at a club!), and billy was hanging out with a handful of fans - i had my camera, and i was so dumbfounded, i didn't even take a picture. i don't like to take pictures without asking and i justcouldn'tsay a word. so i watched him talk to all these people,no one acting like he was nothing like a normal guy, and me just standing there like OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG.blah. *sigh* one of many *kick myself later* stories...

oh yeah, those girls, both of them, were cute girls. me, i'm not a cute girl. bleh.

i want an invite to work for damien. [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2003, 04:29 AM   #40
korina
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalogh
Hey Korina, I just wanted to share your glowing review with the masses. ... Cheers and welcome [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

well thank you

oh - desire? they could have played until1amif they wanted to, that's the venue's "curfew."
Old 11-30-2003, 05:49 AM   #41
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Korina, I musta seen you then at some point, I remember seeing a couple of girls sitting in their cars and just hanging out. The guy who was doing the mini-interview was the one who took the picture of me and Damien. I can relate to wanting to come up with interesting stuff to say, I would have loved to talk more to both of them but Vyvienne seemed so shy and Damien was trying to talk to several different people at once so I felt weird about trying to say anything -- not that I coulda come up with anything besides "wow you guys kick ass" or some other drivel.