Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 12-13-2006, 12:11 AM   #1
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Default 12.12.06 The Beacon

I am not sure I will be able to post after each song, but I thought I could give it a shot. So, Glen is on his second song, Drowned.
jwelsh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Woman Like a Man, Insane, I Remember, 9 Crimes, Elephant > The Blower's Daughter . . .

Will post more soon.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:10 AM   #3
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

dude, are you at the show right now? that's awesome

ah insane, one of my absolute favorites i hope he plays it in minneapolis..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:20 AM   #4
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

yea i hope he plays it at the tower too. but so far he hasnt repeated any of the unreleased songs so maybe he's doing different ones at every gig. i would love to hear him play didnt take you long too
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:43 AM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Wow!!! He played Insane!!!! Yep, the trend seems to be at least one unreleased song per show!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:02 AM   #6
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

I was posting at the show, but then I thought I should just pay attention and focus on writing in my book if anything.

One Set:
Woman Like a Man^, Insane^^, I Remember, 9 Crimes, Elephant > Blower's Daughter, Cannonball$, The Professor, The Animals Were Gone, Coconut Skins$$, Amie, Eskimo, Volcano

Encore:
Rootless Tree, Me My Yoke & I, Accidental Babies

Notes:
^ Damien solo
^^ just Damien, Shane, and Tomo
$ just Damien, unplugged and without a mic at the edge of the stage
$$ with Vyvienne on guitar

Really fun show. (Standard, huh?) Damien seemed really loose and open to the crowd (who, was for the most part, considerate). The first two songs brought lots of energy, starting the night off right. I kind of wish I Remember went longer; you know that part where Tomo really kicks in? I think I was thinking of Bonnaroo . . . Elephant followed this quick exchange with Damien and a guy in the back who yelled his name, Daniel from Long Island. Damien chuckled and asked what Daniel wanted, and Daniel suggested Elephant. "Ask and you shall receive . . . " Amie had the space ship effects, but it seemed a bit short. Eskimo was a great treat (I thought Amie was going to close the set). And then Volcano ended with wonderful fuzzed out and looping goodness. The encore was good; a bit to the point, though, with the highlight being the piano outro to Accidental Babies, imo.

Should be a wonderful show tomorrow night. Wish I could go again . . .
Old 12-13-2006, 05:07 AM   #7
FlexCabana
Damn Handsome

dont worry i recorded tonight on a digital voice recorder and ill be there tomorrow doing the same! hopefully i can post them by this weekend to share. a took a picture of a bunch of eskimos at Ohurleys. we will be there again tomorrow night b4 the show.
FlexCabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:07 AM   #8
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Thanks for posting so fast!!!!!! Great setlist!!
Old 12-13-2006, 05:50 AM
NJelephant
This message has been deleted by NJelephant.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:52 AM   #9
NJelephant
Eskimo Baby

my god what an incredible show. my jaw dropped during cannonball when he came up front to sing without a mic. its funny how how he has such a completely different feel without a mic.

i really want to go tomorrow night as well if i can score some tickets. i would have loved to hit the bar before seeing damo, too bad i'm underage. he deserves one hell of a toast for the performance he had tonight..
NJelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 AM
FireDancer79
This message has been deleted by FireDancer79.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
Jonster
Eskimo Baby

Man, i had a great time. Absolutely amazing show! Cannonball left me breathless, rootless tree rocked my socks off, and accidental babies was astonishingly beautiful...

I'm in a damo induced haze right now.

I'd like to go tomorrow and get some tickets from some scalpers, but i'm oh so broke and oh so have an exam the next day...lame...

-Jon
Jonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #11
tomek322
Eskimo Baby

Amie>Volcano was insane-o.

Dan: "DAMIEN!!"

Damien: "Peter!"
tomek322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
theecitychick
Eskimo Friend

WELL let me first say that the Ohurleys meet up was awesomeeeeee!......Alot of eskimos were hanging out and we had so much preshow drinking fun......OK so now the show was absolutely incredible Mr.b got to sit with me so i was happy about that and we were rockin out (wen appropriate of coursE) and we only got told to shut up once and we uunderstood we were singing to loud! lol so we stoppped I loved the UFO effect in Amie it was great me and Mr. B had a blast with that one The setlist just rocked basically UMM AND FOR THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT ****I FINALLY GOT TO MEET DAMIEN AND HUGGED HIM*** I dont care who thinks im a loser ive ben waiting four yrs to meet him and i finally did Thanks Tom! It was nice meeting a bunch of u and ill see most fo u agen today !
theecitychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #13
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

Smile

was, as is expected, a great great night. agree that highlight of the night was cannonball, acoustic, solo, no mic. rootless tree rocked. only wish that we could have stood and bopped around at the right times. unless my memory is shot i remmeber the first 10 rows or so standing and rocking for parts of the show last time at the beacon. that was missing. tough to sit still during coconut skins, rootless tree...
dylanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
thebends9
Eskimo Baby

What time did Damien go on last night?
thebends9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #15
jossfan
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebends9
What time did Damien go on last night?

he started at 9:05 - and played until beacon turned the lights on at 11.
jossfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #16
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jossfan
he started at 9:05 - and played until beacon turned the lights on at 11.
Yep. 9:05 to 10:35, crowd, encore until 11:00. (The Swell Season, who were great btw, came on soon after 8:00.)
Old 12-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #17
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexCabana
dont worry i recorded tonight on a digital voice recorder and ill be there tomorrow doing the same! hopefully i can post them by this weekend to share. a took a picture of a bunch of eskimos at Ohurleys. we will be there again tomorrow night b4 the show.
something about the phrase "recorded tonight on a digital voice recorder" makes me very worried
AllThatLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #18
FlexCabana
Damn Handsome

y would that worry u? i recorded it on a small digital recorder? if u dont want me to post it for u, ill just post it for everyone else
FlexCabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:09 PM   #19
VolcanoesMeltUDown
Eskimo Friend

I loved last night's show!!! I was trying to get the crowd to try and sing happy birthday after the Blower's Daughter before the show but no avail. So I yelled it myself. I was also yelling I love you the whole time but I loved the "Damien!!" "Peter!" part. He's so awesome! I really wish I could be there for every show! He's just really great. And his Cannonball performance was A-MAZING! I really loved the end of Amie, as well. The lights were SO mesmerizing!
VolcanoesMeltUDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #20
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Cool

Have I missed some inside joke with the screaming of "Damien" and "Peter" ... ?
poe11371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #21
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

nah. just some sarcastic humor. must find it odd when some guy calls out his name, so just made up a name and called it back. he then asked who the guy was and what he wanted. funny. guy said was from long island and that elephant would be nice. and damo bascially said if you ask you shall receive.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:50 PM   #22
mr. boland
Eskimo Regular

Sorry for me two day delay in reporting a review. but nothing to lengthy here to report. It started off at O'Hurley's. walked in and met fperfect. talked over some frosty adult beverages. soon after met spamlet, citychick, dylanfan, flexcabana, and a couple others. Then at 8pm it was off to the beacon. Caught the last half of swell season's set. I was very impressed, as i am a fan of the Frames as well. Glen didn't dissapoint with this project. gotta love his stories and song interpretations.
On to Damien..from the solo opening i was just pumped. Was seated next to citychick(lauren), which i was happy about and to share the experience with a fellow eskimo friend. Ironically enough our tickets were almost exactly next to each, except that the odds/even seating split through that off. I had Loge row J seat 26.. she had seat 25.. but i stayed next to her and just stood just inside the Aisle. As she stated in her post, we only got shushed once.
My highlight was the cannonball where he didn't sing through microphone. Just the guitar lightly mic'd. very pure and raw. Most of the rest of the set has been summed up well by others. Then post-show, fperfect(tom) was able to use some powers to get us into the "green" room. very cool to meet vyv at first, then had some words with glen from swell season. wish i could've snapped a shot of citychick's face just as she hugged damien, classic. but very happy she finally got to meet him. After i had some words with damien, he said he was going up to smoke a cigarette. i said good idea, thinking we were just going outside.., instead, as i followed, we kept going up more flights of stairs until we were in one of the dressing rooms. it was myself, damien and three other people. i just kept my cool, and for twenty minutes/half hour or so just talked about the show and new york city with them. i thanked him, then left.
sorry my review is not that exciting. Very excellent show. Great set list. wish i could have made it to the second night.
great meeting some of you.
that is all............
mr. boland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:00 PM   #23
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanfan
nah. just some sarcastic humor. must find it odd when some guy calls out his name, so just made up a name and called it back. he then asked who the guy was and what he wanted. funny. guy said was from long island and that elephant would be nice. and damo bascially said if you ask you shall receive.
And here I thought it had something to do with me ... my name is Peter ... and he and I are tight like that, like he would think it was me screaming from the audience ... well, we're not that tight, but someday.
poe11371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:33 PM   #24
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexCabana
y would that worry u? i recorded it on a small digital recorder? if u dont want me to post it for u, ill just post it for everyone else
it would worry me because the extreme dynamics and volume levels of a damien show likely would not go well with a simple recorder made to record voices such as lectures. that's all.
AllThatLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #25
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

mr Boland, did u get some juicy information out of Damien Any world-exclusives!!??
Old 12-14-2006, 10:14 PM   #26
mr. boland
Eskimo Regular

no juicy info.. just good conversation. one thing i did let him in on is what many call hot dogs from the street hot dog vendors.. and that is the title of "dirty water dogs". but it was general conversation about his choice of songs, how he remembers to cover up inapporpriate words for radio/tv broadcasts and the whatnot
Old 12-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #27
mr. boland
Eskimo Regular

i have some photos i took on my phone, but just have to get them uploaded
Old 12-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #28
FPrefect61
It's what I do

You've all said pretty much what I could've said. I had a great time these last couple of days. It was great to meet you all. I'm sorry I couldn't make things work out for the second night, I really did do all I could.

See you at the next shows! =)
Old 12-14-2006, 10:52 PM   #29
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. boland
sorry my review is not that exciting.
THE MASTER OF UNDERSTATEMENT! CHILLING WITH THE BAND SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD TO ME.

And was great meeting you fellow eskimos. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:42 AM   #30
VolcanoesMeltUDown
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by theecitychick
WELL let me first say that the Ohurleys meet up was awesomeeeeee!......Alot of eskimos were hanging out and we had so much preshow drinking fun......OK so now the show was absolutely incredible Mr.b got to sit with me so i was happy about that and we were rockin out (wen appropriate of coursE) and we only got told to shut up once and we uunderstood we were singing to loud! lol so we stoppped I loved the UFO effect in Amie it was great me and Mr. B had a blast with that one The setlist just rocked basically UMM AND FOR THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT ****I FINALLY GOT TO MEET DAMIEN AND HUGGED HIM*** I dont care who thinks im a loser ive ben waiting four yrs to meet him and i finally did Thanks Tom! It was nice meeting a bunch of u and ill see most fo u agen today !
How did you meet him...? I wanted to do that really badly that night...
VolcanoesMeltUDown is offline   Reply With Quote