The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Default Damien writes music for Tibetan documentary

Official Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/When-T...n/136562052869

"When The Dragon Swallowed The Sun"
"A prologue narrated by Dennis Haysbert and an original soundtrack by Thom Yorke, Damien Rice and Philip Glass make this the first film that presents the complexity of the struggle with such emotional impact. World premiere early 2010."

official website: http://whenthedragon.com/
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

hope it means at least 1 new song from Damien!!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^me too. thanks, glo!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Wow, I'm so intrigued by that lineup!
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

exciting!!! Looking forward to hear and see it!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

well, the movie got accepted x the Santa Barbara Film Festival (Feb 2010) so Damien better hurry finishing his song... or he'll do a Closer 2
Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Thom Yorke Writes Three New Songs for Tibet Documentary, Bono Pissed He Didn’t Think of That One

As he spent seven years spent perfecting his documentary When the Dragon Swallowed the Sun, which focuses on the ongoing difficulties facing the Free Tibet movement, director Dirk Simon also managed to recruit an all-star cast of musicians to provide new tracks for the film’s soundtrack. Thom Yorke wrote three brand new songs for a particular portion of the film (perhaps inspired by Radiohead’s return to the studio?), Damien Rice provided his first new composition in a long while, and Philip Glass composed the main theme for the film, along with a piece for the “grand finale” sequence of the film.
These musical luminaries join Bjork, Eric Clapton, UNKLE, DJ Spooky, and Rob Dougan (aka Rob D), who have all contributed previously released music for the score. The official release date for the soundtrack is still being negotiated, but it promises to be a big day for music enthusiasts. Big. Huge. Brontosaurean.
Sort of like that new op-ed Bono unleashed on the world just the other day in the New York Times. That byline never gets old.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Rai
Eskimontologist

^Brontosaurean meaning "recognized as a mistaken combination long ago, lingering only out of misplaced affection of an imagined past"?

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

What an honor, to work with Philip Glass.

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i´m quite intrigued by this new song...
Old 01-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

did you guys see this?

IMDb, the Internet Movie database, is the latest site to be blocked by the Great Firewall of China. Unsurprisingly, it isn’t because the site contains information on a number of truly awful films that the Chinese authorities wouldn’t want their citizens having the misfortune of watching.

Instead, it’s assumed, although not confirmed in any way, that the block has been put in place due to a number of films detailing Tibet and its struggle for freedom being present on the site. In particular this documentary film called When The Dragon Swallowed The Sun, which Digital Inspiration claims is the main reason behind the block.

And God forbid that any Chinese person gets to read about Tibet and its desire not to be a part of the People’s Republic of China. Why, if the average Chinese citizen were to have any notion of sympathy for the Tibetans, the world could surely end.

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20...er-tibet-film/
Old 01-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
Calum
Eskimo Regular

China's far more complicated than that......
Old 01-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Interesting interview with Dirk Simon about Damien's involvement in the film ( source )

What exactly is Damien Rice's contribution? How many pieces of music, does he sing and is it anything like his previous work?

Damien has written one song for the film. Although it may seem less than what the other composers have contributed, it is an essential part of the soundtrack. Damien sent us a version late last year without lyrics which we included and it has received an award already. He has now completed a version with lyrics and it is even better. You would definitely recognize it as a Damien Rice song. However, it also seems different to me because it has a bold political message and is very thought provoking - it is really, really great. Based on the version with lyrics, we are actually re-editing an entire scene of the film to match perfectly.

We are still in the process of discussing it with Damien and his team, but I would like to see his song become our title song. I will also encourage him to submit it for the Academy Awards 2011 for best Original Song. We on our end will do what's necessary to ensure the song qualifies.

Philip Glass has composed music for many feature films and documentaries and is in that sense not a surprising choice. How did Thom Yorke and Damien Rice get involved?

The film was from the beginning designed to reach beyond your typical audience for this kind of film. I wanted to tell the story in the most effective way. I wanted to create emotional access to this story through a very engaging cinematography and a powerful soundtrack. So, we reached out to some of our favorite artists who we felt would be a great fit and who we knew could help us accomplish this ambitious goal. Damien and Thom, after we explained our concept and after they saw some of our material, answered the call.

Will an actual soundtrack be released - and when?

It is our intention to release an actual soundtrack, especially since we have quite a few other great artists lending their work, too. But the variety of artists, along with all the different publishers and writers involved will make it a bit complicated and time consuming to negotiate the agreements. After all, this is a 100% independently financed film without the financial back up of a major studio. But everyone has been very supportive and enthusiastic so far and I have high hopes for a release. Ideally it will be coordinated with the film’s release which still needs to be determined. The film will enter the Festival circuit with its world premiere during the Santa Barbara International Film Festival (February 4 - 14, 2010)
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #14
verenita
... trusty and true ...

wow, quite promising, isn´t it?
Quote:
He has now completed a version with lyrics and it is even better. You would definitely recognize it as a Damien Rice song. However, it also seems different to me because it has a bold political message and is very thought provoking - it is really, really great.
and nice words. thanks glo
Old 01-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Super-promising!!!!!!! Thanks Glo

Oscar 2011, here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #16
insanebaby
Eskimo Friend

looks like we're not going to have to wait for too long
insanebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
Super-promising!!!!!!! Thanks Glo

Oscar 2011, here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

simon dark said that the song has recieved an award already. would it be for the damien´s song? cause in the movie site says: Maverick Movie Award for Best Original Scor "When The Dragon Swallowed The Sun"/ Philip Glass, Tom Yorke and Damien Rice.

anyway... i´m not sure about the oscar. i don´t like big explosion
Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #18
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

yes, they already won this prize for best score (Glass, Damien Rice & Thom Yorke) and for what I understood they used the Damien song with music but no lyrics

an Oscar nomination would at least generate awareness in regards of the whole Tibet thing!!

Last edited by borneoman; 01-17-2010 at 07:42 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #19
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
an Oscar nomination would at least generate awareness in regards of the whole Tibet thing!!
i know, i know, you´re right. i was thinking about the frivolity over the oscar and all that s***ty stuff.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:01 AM   #20
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Let's be realistic here, guys. Damo's most celebrated song was the centerpiece of a film which was nominated for a few of the biggest Oscar categories yet it wasn't even in the running. Also, in the 80+ year history of the Oscars only one winning song was from a documentary. Not saying it can't happen but those are some serious odds.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

this is all well and good but when are we going to hear it
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #22
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

^^Well, TBD couldn't be in the running because it wasn't specifically written for the movie. Best song has to be an "original" song. So TBD was never going to qualify because it was written well before it was attached to the movie and without the movie in mind.

That's why Falling Slowly was almost disqualified because it had been released before the movie had come out, and had definitely been played live at gigs well before the movie was made (and so they argued that the movie had been in the works for quite a while).
Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #23
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Yes, TBD wasn't nominated cos it couldn't qualify... otherwise...

the Academy had kinda opened up in recent years, nominating people like Bjork for instance, and if something Once proved, was that any little song from any little movie can win an oscar... you don't need to be the theme song from Avatar
Old 01-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #24
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Except now they've gone and changed the stupid rules again. Conceivably, it's possible for not a single song to be nominated this year (and every year hereafter, barring another rule change).

For now, at least one song has to get at least an average score of 8.25 in the first ballot -- if no song meets that requirement, then there'll be no Best Song Oscar at all. If one song meets the requirement then it and the next highest scoring song will be nominated. If more than 2 meet the requirement, then all the nominated songs have to meet that 8.25 threshold, to a maximum of 5 songs.

My point was supposed to be: GO DAMIEN! I'd love to see him get recognition for a project and cause so dear to his heart.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #25
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^wow didn't know about the rules being changed... weird new rules I'd say...

well, at least he can try for the Golden Globes or the BAFTAs or something...
Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #26
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Announcing our world premiere and upcoming screenings!

Santa Barbara International Film Festival 2010

5 Feb (Fri) 10:45am - Metro 4 Theatre IV
7 Feb (Sun) 12:30pm - Victoria Hall
8 Feb (Mon) 1:45pm - Metro 4 Theatre IV

If you will be in Southern California, please join us to celebrate this important milestone.

Someone should go & tape Damien's song for us
Old 01-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #27
insanebaby
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Someone should go & tape Damien's song for us
totally!!
insanebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #28
verenita
... trusty and true ...

tha's soon. great!
i really really hope they add the documentary to bafici film festival in buenos aires... oh, well, wishful thinking.