The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

Default Album, nuuuuuuuuuuuuu album

As i was saying

what do u think it's gonna be like?

If u'd only listened to O u might thing that Damo was a "chillout" type music person.

If this album was like really heavy and explicit and a heart torn open. I'd love it, shunned by critics who'd call it "unlistenable tripe".

Or do u think he'll play the "buy my single" card? I doubt that. I think it'll be somewhere in the middle. O definately wasn't a an album written, it was songs written and put into an album. Would this time round be more thematic, cos of the fact that it's like probably been contemplated as an entire album? Would it be more artistic statement this time, than personal autobiographical self-lamentation(because of the pressure to write "a good album"?

I wonder.

I can't imagine it having a simmillar mood to O, i can't imagine that working. But maybe he'll have considered it a formula which worked? Heaven knows.

and maybe you do to.

What thinkst thou!?!

3, 2, 1, GO!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

i'd love something like "O" i just don't want it to be way too electric or anything. like i love the feel of songs like "face" and "prague" i just don't want too much of it. "O" had a good mix of very mellow and dark songs, but then with some electric stuff that changed the mood, but not TOO much! which i what i liked.

however, another part of really wishes he'd realse something that wasn't TOO far off from "O", but not too much alike, because if you change your style too much.. for some reason it either seems to go really really well.. or more then likely just fail. i wish he'd do something like "O" and then release another thing like the B-sides that is more of his angry side!
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

i want him to do whatever the hell he wants to do, then itll prolly be amazing.
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

i agree. but then again there's sales to think about. oo er :S.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

yes, i agree that whatever he does.. it'll be good! i just don't want to get too high of hopes for any one specific thing, because then it may not be how i expected and then i'll be disappointed. that is what happened to me with coldplay when X & Y came out, but then after giving it a chance a month or so down the road.. i ended up really really liking it.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
cille
creepycute

i think the sound feel of it will definately be different from O - this time around it's recorded in a studio, right? So it won't have that bedroom sound, possibly, unless he desides to recreate it in the studio anyways.

I hope it'll be mean and dirty and heavy and rough round the edges. Less Unplayed Piano, more madness.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:12 AM   #7
iamrandom
Eskimo Baby

I think that even if Damo goes electric for the next album, it wouldn't be going 'Electric' (if that makes any sense). I mena, think of Prague, that kind of electric song, I think that works, I like it. But if he does go electric, it damn well be done in the studio with some good intricate instrumentation. I think that Tongue, Woman like a man and Face could be done very well in studio.

I just hope it comes out soooon, and I checked the 'upcoming releases' sheet at work today (major electronics chain in the US) and there was nothing on there about a damo release coming up in september.
iamrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:33 AM   #8
walker
The Masked Eskimo

I heard from a friend who heard from a friend who heard from a friend and so on ...that it would be completely different and let down a lot of hardcore fans. I heard it is poppy. But that is just what Ive heard, hopefully this is a bunch of mixed info
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:17 AM   #9
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinBoy
i agree. but then again there's sales to think about. oo er :S.
i just hope its honest. nothing that shows that he's just trying to sell something, i dont think he would do that tho. one thing i really like about him is that he isnt really popular over here, at least in my area, and its really nice because its special when you find someone who likes him, and its even better when you get someone into him. so i kinda hope he stays unpoplar over here which is kinda selfish. i just dont want all of the bandwagon, top 40 music listeners to get a hold of his stuff just because its on the radio and then they'll be at all of the concerts.
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

I think it's gonna be different from "O". Oh.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #11
ancyuber
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker
I heard from a friend who heard from a friend who heard from a friend and so on ...that it would be completely different and let down a lot of hardcore fans. I heard it is poppy. But that is just what Ive heard, hopefully this is a bunch of mixed info
Hmm... Isnt that along the lines of why he left Juniper?
ancyuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:06 AM   #12
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancyuber
Hmm... Isnt that along the lines of why he left Juniper?
He left Juniper because the record company were forcing him to make everything radio-friendly and generally putting him in positions where he felt uncomfortable. I'm not sure how that relates to the post you quoted, I don't think he has an objection to pop music in and of itself?
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #13
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

i hope it isn't like juniper. i found most of their music lacking in talent... the vocals just weren't good in alot of their stuff. all the songs that went to "O" from juniper sound MUCH better mellowed out.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
ancyuber
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
He left Juniper because the record company were forcing him to make everything radio-friendly and generally putting him in positions where he felt uncomfortable. I'm not sure how that relates to the post you quoted, I don't think he has an objection to pop music in and of itself?
Him making the album poppy would make it radio friendly. I just dont see him(and hope he doesnt!) making the album poppish since it along the same lines of why he left Juniper.

I relate poppy to radio friendly. Since its what a lot of mainstream radio is(here at least).
ancyuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:50 PM   #15
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

yeah, it isn't that i wouldn't like it if it were popish, but then it def. would kill my passion for damien rice... not being pop and being so unique and raw is why i like him. a pop album would just sit on the shelf for me.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #16
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

i can't deny that i think the SONG choice for O was such that it eliminated any explicit heart-torn-open type songs (as i call them). Stuff like woman like a man, and the proffessor. stuff that ended up on the b-sides expressed allot more of his sexuality. Which is a huge are of his music which after listening to his other songs, makes me feel it was somewhat under-represented on O.

Or simply that it didn't fit. I can imagine that if u popped a song like "me my yolk and i" or "rootless tree" onto the album (maybe even "sex change" or "insane") that they'd be horribly out of place.

Whether deliberate or not, i think it definately made the album more marketable to an "easy-listening" audience.

Don't get me wrong, i don't think the songs that got onto O are lesser than those which aren't. Just saying that the difference is there to be seen.

If you were damien, would u consider this time to represent ur more aggressive, more "parent advisory" side to a greater extent?

Or do you think some of the heavier songs are just for his personal outlet, and that when focused on an album, the result is more mellow and smooth?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:07 AM   #17
OrangeKnickers
Buttons For Eyes

if you ask me, "Cannonball" and "Blower's Daughter" are about as 'pop' as damien gets. every other song of his, released or not, has that edge we all like - be soft songs or more aggressive.
i just can't imagine a poppier sound coming out of him - besides we're going to know 3/4 of the songs anyway.
OrangeKnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #18
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancyuber
Him making the album poppy would make it radio friendly. I just dont see him(and hope he doesnt!) making the album poppish since it along the same lines of why he left Juniper.
But there's a difference between doing something because you want to, as opposed to being forced to. I wouldn't have described Juniper as poppy anyway.

-- Simon Armitage
Old 09-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #19
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

On a recording of I think it was grey room that i got recently he was talking about his next album and saying that the plan was to make one slow album (0) and one more upbeat album. But there could well have been a change of plans along the way due to how well O went down as a beautiful slow album. Also Baby Sister and Accidental babies don't really sound very up beat.
Should I wipe up the stain?
And if I'm low
Can I drown in this rain?
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane

Last edited by Mr Benn.; 09-03-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Mr Benn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:50 AM   #20
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
however, another part of really wishes he'd realse something that wasn't TOO far off from "O", but not too much alike, because if you change your style too much.. for some reason it either seems to go really really well.. or more then likely just fail. i wish he'd do something like "O" and then release another thing like the B-sides that is more of his angry side!
I respect your opinion but as far as changing styles, just because he released 'O' doesnt mean that mellow is his style. Maybe it is the style that he plays that you like more which I can understand many wanting, but that doesn't mean to classify Damien Rice as someone who only plays songs with the acoustic/"slower" songs on 'O'. I think someone said best that whatever Damien decides to do is for the best. That should be enough.

I don't mean to attack you carvin, maybe I misinterpreted but I just think to put Damien into one category when he has so many talents and can play in many different tones, many different varieties, it just seems unfair to call that one way his style. Damien definitely has a style, but I don't think that it is non-electric and more mellow songs... if anything he has shown a balance and he has gone on record (at least i think) of saying the album could have been a little harder if he had the money to do so at the time of making it.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:54 AM   #21
genzoman
Eskimo Friend

i think he will have the requisite few acoustic songs. mainly uptempo angrier rock type songs like insane.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:19 AM   #22
Spyne
Eskimo Baby

last i heard it was going to be along the same vein as 'i remember' and 'prague' - very heart wrenching and 'rough' (musically)
Spyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:24 AM   #23
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i hope its all purple and orange and has free lollipops with rabbits who lay babies in testubes full of apple juice

i really dont care as long as he does what he wants with it and it does go an alternative route to what we are used to

suprise me

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:48 AM   #24
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i like the free lollipops idea
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #25
cille
creepycute

i hope it is covered in smelly eatible patchwork.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:07 PM   #26
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i like the patchwork idea even better! i don't know about the smelly part tho..
Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #27
dizzy cannon
senseless eskimo

i'm to lazy to search previous threads for this but did anyone ever get a chance to ask him what was going on with the new album during the tour with fionna apple?

"You're still reaching for the moon."
"No, father. The moon's reaching for me!"

myspace

dizzy cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #28
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

As I said in the stupid off-topic thread about the new album that got closed, he was recently in LA mastering the new album. Joel Shearer will certainly be on it. An inside source estimated release around February but could have been totally lying to me, and Damien wouldn't say anything.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #29
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

gah why is he so tight-lipped about it?! you'd think he was building an atomic bomb or something..

tell us more about the swanky party you saw him at, valerie.. you did talk to him and he did say they were in the studio mastering the album, right?

isn't that the final stage of recording? anybody?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #30
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Well, according to Glen from the Frames it is finished and sounds "amazing". Of course he might just be being nice, but hey at least we know its more or less done!

-- Simon Armitage