Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-31-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Exclamation "Once" w/ the Swell Season

Just found this online. Had no idea- never heard any mention of it before. Apparently Damo's openers (Glen and Marketa) are acting in a film together that comes out this year in Ireland...

ONCE

John Carney's romantic musical affectionately observes the relationship that forms between a Grafton Street busker (Frames singer-songwriter Glen Hansard) and a Czech pianist (Marketa Inglova). Mar 23

I knew you UK lads and lasses got films a bit later than us but the article also said "The Upside of Anger" was going to be released there this spring. That film is almost two years old now!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
Bumpman

Yeah, and Damien has a part in it I think, he helped with it anyway. Writing the music and whatnot.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
Rue Saint-Denis
Eskimo Ghost

This has been on the swell season's myspace. Glen writes his own blogs, how nice is that.
Rue Saint-Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
coldwatercannonball
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue Saint-Denis
This has been on the swell season's myspace. Glen writes his own blogs, how nice is that.
actually that's so nice it borders on unblieveable
coldwatercannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
Rai
Eskimontologist

Its more of a Frames-thing but anybody else noticed that according to Glen, his songs change meanings from concert to concert. For example, I have a Lay Me Down when its "about the importance of letters" and another where its "about the idea of going to work in a job you don't particularly love". Or even during a single introduction like Set List's Your Face ("Sitting in a field in Malahide " and "Listening to Bob Marley at home, on a stereo, making tapes for your mates". Its kinda funky

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^Lay me down is also supposed to have been written for one of his girlfriends that was into the goth scene. He wrote her the song and gave her a lot/hole in a cemetery ... apparently told her if she wanted to be burried besides him...

interesting, to say the least....

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...

Last edited by mariaoran; 01-17-2008 at 12:35 AM.
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:17 AM   #7
ennui
Veracious Iota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Its more of a Frames-thing but anybody else noticed that according to Glen, his songs change meanings from concert to concert. For example, I have a Lay Me Down when its "about the importance of letters" and another where its "about the idea of going to work in a job you don't particularly love". Or even during a single introduction like Set List's Your Face ("Sitting in a field in Malahide " and "Listening to Bob Marley at home, on a stereo, making tapes for your mates". Its kinda funky
I expect it's part of the entertainment factor as a singer/songwriter/performer. He probably just likes to have fun and tell interesting stories... After all, isn't that what folk music's all about?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Yeah, and Damien has a part in it I think, he helped with it anyway. Writing the music and whatnot.
I was gonna ask if he was involved at all. So glad to hear that!
Old 12-31-2006, 11:49 AM   #9
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Spamlet, I think there were a couple of threads on the film at the time they were shooting it (January 2006). And yeah I think Damien co-wrote a couple of songs for it... one of them being Leave, I think. I don't think he's actually in the film, but I could be wrong (I am though! ).

It was shown at a couple of film festivals during the summer if I remember correctly.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:20 AM   #10
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

The only one I knew of him having co-written was "Leave" so I'll be glad to hear anything else whether Damo cameos in the film or not.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:10 AM   #11
matthew1234
Eskimo Baby

I just saw "Once" today, and Damien is thanked in the credits.

I didn't notice any cameos.

It was a really good film -- definitely recommend it.

- Matt
matthew1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #12
Ai Hsian
Eskimo Baby

Thumbs up The Swell Season live on KCRW

Check this out, it's a live in-studio performance by The Swell Season on KCRW. Zoom in to 29:00, that's where the performance starts. There's also an interview with Glen Hansard, AND he mentions Damien in the interview. I'll leave it to you to find out what he said about Damien, eh

Here's the link:
http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/s...e_swell_season

Just click on the "Listen" button, they really sound good live!
Ai Hsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

Yeah they sound great live, don't they? This show is here is really good. There's a good show by the frames on that site too

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ft=1&f=4627437
Should I wipe up the stain?
And if I'm low
Can I drown in this rain?
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Mr Benn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #14
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Ai Hsian... isn't that the same performance they did for KCRW on july??? and they're just repeating it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Benn.
Yeah they sound great live, don't they? This show is here is really good. There's a good show by the frames on that site too=
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ft=1&f=4627437
cant listen ... again!!!..... i reeeeally dont like this wesite!!!!!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #15
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai Hsian
Check this out, it's a live in-studio performance by The Swell Season on KCRW. Zoom in to 29:00, that's where the performance starts. There's also an interview with Glen Hansard, AND he mentions Damien in the interview. I'll leave it to you to find out what he said about Damien, eh

Here's the link:
http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/s...e_swell_season

Just click on the "Listen" button, they really sound good live!
lame, i can't listen - i'm on a mac
what does Glen say?

xx
Old 01-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #16
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

ugh.. i've watched this movie too many times... it's so ****ing good haha.. my bro gave it to me for christmas.. and ughhh soo good.. lol i've seen it before but it's just aaaahh haha... i want to see the alternate ending tho!! the dvd doesn't have it! but ya... i watch the movie then i really get caught up in the music again and stuff.. it's just awesome.. glen and mar are just awesome together...

i think it was like the 4th time i've seen it.. hehe
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

Just the other night Glen And Mar were on the Jay Leno Show and they performed "When Your Minds Mad'e Up". You can watch it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsifiXDijbY

No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #18
Max
Eskimå

Default Did anyone else catch Glen, Marketa & Damo at McCabe's the other night?

My wife and I caught The Swell Season at McCabe's the other night (Our fifth show in 14 months and probably the best one) and lo and behold Damo was there too. It's strange how often we've seen Glen and Damo here in LA in the last few years - it seems like they practically live here.

What an amazing show. They were in the best mood EVER. Talked about how much they're starting to like LA (despite all negative stereotypes). McCabe's is an old small shop that holds less than 200 people. We were let in a few minutes after 11pm and the show ended around 1:30am. Here is the setlist - although from memory and probably a bit scrambled:

This Low
Sleeping
Drown Out
If You Want Me
Falling Slowly
Lies
??? (some song was played here - hmm can't remember)
When Your Mind's Made Up
What Happens When the Heart Just Stops
Fogtown (Michelle Shocked)
Seven Day Mile (with audience whistle)
Star Star
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Dylan - with Audience member on Harmonica)
Once

I'm missing some songs here - can't remember. Oh, did I mention that Damo played Delicate - which was an amazing coincident because before Friday I hadn't really listened to Damo for a few months, but on Friday we went up to Big Bear for a nice day of skiing and that night we stopped at the Starbucks up there to grab a couple of coffee's for the road - and they were playing Delicate over the sound system. I got back in the car and immediately put on Delicate. The following night we got the live version - are you kidding me. When we were standing outside McCabe's and saw Damo plus entourage I thought he might make an appearance - but Delicate would have been my number one choice that night. Oh man, I'm rambling... and I got to go. Sucks that I won't be able to make the show tomorrow night.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 AM   #19
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

That's such amazing luck! It's pretty incredible that in the middle of red carpets and industry/celebrity-heavy events they managed to play such an intimate venue!

There's an adorable pic/write-up of the two up here. They sure do clean up nice, though you gotta love this un-Hollywood pose

On Hansard: Bottega Veneta suit, $3,320, vest, $980, shirt, $710, tie and pocket square; bottegaveneta.com. On Irgová: Miu Miu dress. Calvin Klein shoes.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #20
Rai
Eskimontologist

^Nice one, though the photographer seems to have forgotten about coming up with something Marketa could do...

Also, its rather strange to see Glen dressed in a suit that most probably costs more than the price of all the other clothes he wore during his whole life added together...
(and its a bloody shame he got rid of the beard)

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 02-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #21
Rai
Eskimontologist

Sorry for double posting but it's been a few days and this fits here:

bbc.co.uk just published an interview with Glen. Its really interesting and has some nice new publicity shots of him and Marketa.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7258452.stm

""I'd love to walk away from this whole experience with the Oscar for my mother. For me it's not about the winning. As far as I'm concerned, the success of Once means we've already won."

Old 11-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #22
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Wow, that's pretty high praise! Thankfully, the playedlastnight crew are going to start putting up some European shows!!

http://www.playedlastnight.com/artis...e_Swell_Season

It looks like your gig was taped and is coming soon!
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #23
Swedish Professor
Eskimo skiier

wooo. Thanks a lot srahman, that's good news!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #24
cille
creepycute

Looks like the Swell Season is not gonna exist after the end of this year:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=453656771
Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #25
Rai
Eskimontologist

^Nooo!!!!!

I'm finally in a city where there is a reasonable chance to get some good gigs and then one of the prime targets says that they'll do a big break, this is not fair

Also, its not fair either that I can't go to that Dublin gig, we should get a taping task force there.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #26
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

Okay Cille..just for the record

They will exist just taking a break to rest and record some stuff...

Vicar street should be great. I heard ruomurs that a certain Mr. Rice might make an appearance
Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #27
jdub1892
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite View Post
Okay Cille..just for the record

They will exist just taking a break to rest and record some stuff...

Vicar street should be great. I heard ruomurs that a certain Mr. Rice might make an appearance
hopefully that show (in full) is posted on playedlastnight.com
Old 12-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #28
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I think the blog just says they are gonna stop touring, not that they're ending the Swell Season. On the contrary, I read it as they're gonna take some time off and then do album 2!!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #29
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
I think the blog just says they are gonna stop touring, not that they're ending the Swell Season. On the contrary, I read it as they're gonna take some time off and then do album 2!!
Borneoman ur take on it is spot on

I don't think this gig will go into playedlastnight to be honest just because of the nature of it...on the other hand it is very sure now that damien is gonna be around so I am grabbing my tickets:P...
Old 12-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #30
cille
creepycute

Ah, cause I just took the 'this is the last SS gig ever' as an announcement of there being no more SS...