Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #61
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Right, I've been thinking about this briefly since there was official word. Live, Damien'll be alright but in the studio he could be in trouble unless he gets a bit braver and the next record is what I thought the second one would be having seen him gig a fair bit.

"O" was marvelous, almost all good to great songs, well arranged, it had a lovely ramshackle feeling to it, Lisa's presence pushed it over the top to greatness.

"9" for me was underwhelming, there were a couple of honest to goodness bad songs on it, I didn't much care for some of the arrangements or how it was recorded and some songs that were great live lost something on record (in the case of "Elephant" for example that thing would be the guitar). Save for "Accidental Babies" the only songs that I thought were top class were the ones that Lisa contributed to. In fact I'd go so far to say that she rescued that album.

Damien is certainly capable of making a great album without Lisa but he may have to capture the spirit of the gigs to do it.

Last edited by #Ian#; 03-26-2007 at 12:14 PM.
#Ian# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #62
foryou
Eskimo Friend

"9 Crimes" arranged for the present album with Lisa is unmatched. It made me buy the album.

Prior versions, e.g from 2001 does not really touch me, same with the complete guitar version.
foryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #63
lalla32
Eskimo Regular

Buh... we knew this was coming... but to really know it for sure it's quite sad... I still can't believe all this happened 2 days before my show! Would have liked to hear them sing together live at least once...

But I adore Damien and his music... in the end that is all that matters to me.
lalla32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #64
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

lisa is one of the main reasons i love damiens music so much, yes he is an amazing song writer, but she makes his songs go from great to magical with her voice. As soon as i heard her i decided she was my favourite vocalist ever, especially with i remember.

the only reason im not going into a greater stage of depression right now is the prospect of her solo album, with her voice i really think she can create something unbelievable, so im going to pray that she nails it.

Damien is still brilliant i know, but id be lying to myslef if said that im looking forward to his next album just as much as i used to.

worst news ever for me, lisa's voice is no longer next to damiens, someone kill me now

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Ships_Were_Sailin
This message has been deleted by Ships_Were_Sailin.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #65
stefferrelli
Eskimo Friend

I think we all sort of knew it was going to happen for sure after the night she didn't show up. She's very talented. I met her in Washington, D.C. last December when they did a show there and she said that she had planned on doing something on her own in the future, so I guess this is it for her. Best of luck.
stefferrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #66
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships_Were_Sailin
worst news ever for me, lisa's voice is no longer next to damiens, someone kill me now
awww

this gets ever more depressing by the minute, doesn't it
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #67
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Where did all the unconditional love go?
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #68
sahika
Eskimo Regular

no need to cry,

I am sure that Damo will keep on being the best musician for most of eskimos, with lovely Lisa or without her..
just sorry for the ones who havent seen them in a gig together, such as desperate me
wish the best for both of them..
Old 03-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #69
Angeline
Irish Eskimo Baby

Sad news. Good luck in the future Lisa.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #70
celia
Eskimo Regular

Does Damien want a replacement then??? I'm available ...although I can't sing to save my life...hmmm

Shame. Was looking forward to seeing Lisa @ hammersmith tomorrow. Least I got to see them together once before.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #71
Martine
Eskimo Friend

Wooow....pretty sad news
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #72
eamo_rice
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
Lisa's talented. But Lisa is not a good fit for this band. Damien rolled with it for a long time, but more recently it seems to me that Lisa's presence has been holding the rest of the band back at times.

WTF? You don't seriously believe that do you?
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #73
norriewan
Eskimo Regular

gutted. i really am.

im going to see damien and the band for the first time on saturday night in edinburgh and was soooooo looking forward to it. (im travelling from cork in ireland for the gig)

i love damien for his musical talent and powerful lyrics, but like so many others have said, lisa is an integral part of the bands dynamic. im still looking forward to the concert but a part of my heart sank a little when the news was confirmed.

Moby.
norriewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #74
Tinkabell74
Eskimo Regular

im also sad about the news and lucky that i saw them together in hamburg (it was my first damien concert). i wish her all the best for her future!

*givesbambiahug*
Tinkabell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #75
FireDancer79
The Girl That Does Yoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty.thoughts
Maybe she does it in all the shows, but her body was turned towards Vyv and away from Damien, pretty much the whole show. It surprised me. I thought they would have been a whole lot friendly toward each other. I just found it interesting.
There is a nice hug in this video

Cheers!
FireDancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #76
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by norriewan
gutted. i really am.

im going to see damien and the band for the first time on saturday night in edinburgh and was soooooo looking forward to it. (im travelling from cork in ireland for the gig)

i love damien for his musical talent and powerful lyrics, but like so many others have said, lisa is an integral part of the bands dynamic. im still looking forward to the concert but a part of my heart sank a little when the news was confirmed.

That is exactly my situation I'm travelling over to the Manchester gig and I am absolutely gutted that I'll never be able to hear one of my favourite songs ever, Volcano, sang the way it was supposed to be

Last edited by Moves-My-World; 03-26-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #77
Tinkabell74
Eskimo Regular

lets give you a biiiiiiiiiiig hug!!!!
Tinkabell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #78
kiddcode
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidiot
If you have been listening to the live stuff out lately...or been to any recent shows you will notice that Damien is moving back to his harder roots, louder, more energetic, experimenting with loops and more epic crescendos. Lisa to me was always the softer, operatic and folksy side.
If this were the case, why would they break up mid-tour? Why not wait for it to end first?
kiddcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #79
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

i second what kidcode said
robmcgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #80
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

The news are now at NME.com too, basically they re-print the official statement. The headline was:

"Damien Rice splits from long-term vocalist
The star had been with Lisa Hannigan for six years"

I really liked the analogy that someone posted in the prev page, like this is a divorce and we are the children. I really feel like that now I will miss Lisa a lot but we have to accept it and move on and think positive!

Some of you guys are too radical, it's black or white for most people, some saying that Lisa has zero effect and live w/o Lisa will be even better, some saying it's pointless to go to a gig w/o Lisa. I don't see it like that. I think now live shows will be different, but different does not mean better or worst, just different. It can be equally good.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:13 PM   #81
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamo_rice
WTF? You don't seriously believe that do you?
Yes, I've thought that at least since the fall. I've never found Lisa's solo song to be anything but a sidetrack from the rest of the concert. Usually Vyv's tune goes well with the flow but Lisa's leaves me thinking "Okay, now back to the gig...." I think Damien and the band have been held back from progressing as musicians together because of Lisa.

And it now appears clear that Damien feels the same way. Whether that was the actual reason for the split or not, once Lisa was gone, it's pretty plain from the tapes I've heard that they are sounding different, and now they've added an electric guitar to the band.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:00 PM   #82
Constanze
Eskimo Regular

that makes me really sad
Old 03-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #83
eamo_rice
meh

Haven't they had electric guitar for ages? If you're referring to Joel Shearer then he's been playing on and off with the band for ages.

Damien has always allowed the spotlight to fall on both Vyvienne and Lisa for solo or joint spots at many of his gigs, its not like its a new thing he just introduced this tour and many of the fans look forward to them taking the limelight. The gigs where the full band appears have an electric atmosphere about them, the dynamic of five people who have played together for so long and who know each other and the songs intimately. SAying that Lisa doesn't add anything to the show is clearly not true. Damo's solo shows are completely different - which doesnt necessarily mean "worse" although its clear some people on here feel that way. for the record, although ill miss Lisa, i like the two different dynamics that a DamienRice show can produce and i'm looking forward to how he can change his show now and cope with the loss of such a big part of his act.
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #84
Cherry-Baby
Eskimo Baby

Noooo i can't believe it
Cherry-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #85
pixie77
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar
How is he going to sing Eskimo? Or Volcano? or songs that really do need a woman.
I've seen Damien perform twice: once alone and once with the entire band. I preferred him alone. The version of Volcano that he did alone at the last Toronto show was amazing (check YouTube for a video). The song had never been one of my favourites, but that performance gave me goosebumps. He'll manage quite well alone. I'm actually quite excited to see him without Lisa, but with the rest of the band, as it will likely be a very different experience. Lisa is lovely and has a beautiful voice and I will miss her in some songs, but I'm not too upset about the whole thing.
pixie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #86
wanderer
Eskimoness

I am just bummed that I didn't get to see them play live together, I love them both seperately, but it would of been great to see them together.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #87
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foryou
Nevertheless it would be fine if we could find a taping source of the last
(historical) concert of both: Berlin 2007-03-15
One has just been put up on dime!

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=140048

I thought I'd be able to sleep it off... but no. It still sucks
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:25 PM   #88
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

but this isnt damien rice alone, this isnt him doing an intimate acoustic set. this is damien rice the BAND without lisa, and as a band performance, i feel she was a major part, damien on his own would be amaziong, but trying to pull of the band although still great will always lack something. i dont think you can arguee that if youy take something away then whats left is lacking that. if indeed what was taken was good. in thois case, it was good, and now its gone
robmcgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #89
yoda1138
Eskimo Friend

At one side I am very glad that I saw Damien together with Lisa in Cologne.
But at the other side I am very pissed off that I will never do again!
I wish Lisa all the best.
And I will still love Damiens Music.
yoda1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #90
ste_swann
Stupidest Eskimo

Sigh sigh sigh...that's awful news...well, I'm sure this is the best choice for them at this moment...let's hope things will change in future