Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Default The Mission Blue Voyage

i saw folks talking about this is in another thread, but i figure it's interesting enough to warrant it's own, so...

damien set sail for the galapagos islands earlier today! how crazy/cool is that?!

damo's newsie:

Quote:
The Mission Blue Voyage - a project of the TED Prize
"The first time I became aware of TED.COM was when a friend sent me a link to a talk by Jill Bolte Taylor, a brain scientist who experienced a stroke. I found it so impressive and started watching other videos and loved that someone had made these kinds of talks available. When I got an invitation to take part in the TED Prize - Mission Blue Voyage, I immediately said yes, of course. Here's the link to Jill's talk, and from there you can watch other 'ideas worth spreading' as they say at TED and so I thought I'd share them here too for anyone who may enjoy them." [damien rice]

Galapagos Islands : April 6-10, 2010
In response to the growing ocean crises, we are gathering the world's most renowned ocean experts and marine scientists, deep sea explorers, technology innovators, policy makers, business leaders, environmentalists, activists and artists, for an epic adventure into the blue. Together, this spectacular group will become immersed in learning about our earth's waters and draw inspiration from the challenging new ideas presented to save the Blue Heart of the Planet. Over four days, attendees will experience seven fully programmed TED sessions. In addition, we will explore the surrounding landscape and sea, designed to stimulate the intellect and stir the soul, discovering up close the wonders that make the Land of Darwin one of the world's most unparalleled adventure travel destinations.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight View Post

damien set sail for the galapagos islands earlier today! how crazy/cool is that?!
i know
Old 04-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

I wish I was there! not only for him,but for the whole experience..OMG...I'm so tired of big cities...I want to move to the country or to a island...close to the city,of course hehehehe
Old 04-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amie R. View Post
I'm so tired of big cities...I want to move to the country or to a island...close to the city,of course hehehehe
me too... in fact, i´m searching for a job in mendoza. it´s a beatiful western province, near to the mountains: la cordillera de los andes (wish me luck )
Old 04-08-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

^ good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amie R. View Post
I wish I was there! not only for him,but for the whole experience..
me too! it sounds amazing.. i like this concept of "hope spots" they talk about, protected waters in the ocean.. and i read something random about how they can't take jalapenos for guacamole dip on the trip because they have seeds, and it could alter the unique ecosytem of the islands if one got loose...

from here
Quote:
Joining the Mission Blue Voyage are more than 100 global leaders, marine scientists, deep-sea explorers, technology innovators, policy makers, business leaders, environmentalists, activists, artists and cultural icons. Presenters include Dr. Sylvia Earle, actor Chevy Chase, Oscar-winning documentarian Fisher Stevens, explorer-filmmaker Jean-Michel Cousteau, Chef Barton Seaver, and musician Damien Rice. Click here to view the full list of speakers.
such an eclectic mix of passengers.. chevy chase? really?

anyway, there's a decent web presence for this event/foundation. think i'll follow on twitter.

http://www.facebook.com/missionblue
http://twitter.com/MissionBlue
http://www.mission-blue.org/
Old 04-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

the FB page has a section with interviews with the passengers!!! no Damien... yet but we can hope...
Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
glo32
Eskimo Regular

http://www.flickr.com/photos/missionblue/page3/

glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
Samart
Nothing unusual...

Thank you gloria for the pics link.

He looks like RObinson Crusoe.
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samart View Post

Very good observation!! it reminded now that I gave him a "bad hair day" in Iceland and he told me he didn't think his hair was "bad",but FREE and called it "free hair day"...I broke my right arm 3 weeks ago and I still have 2 weeks to go with a cast. I cant straight my hair which is curly like his and it is free to be like that. I love it! sometimes I don't even brush it just like when I was 16 and it was so long and big that I wouldn't brush for a week or so hehehe

The pictures from the Mission are amazing!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
Joyful
Eskimama

Thanks for all the pics and info! Looks like an amazing experience.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
verenita
... trusty and true ...

this one:

took my breath away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samart View Post

hehe, yes he does! and that beard reminds me of santa glen

thanks glo for the pics and melissa for the links. it truly is an amazing experience... for a great cause
Old 04-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Shillelagh
This message has been deleted by Shillelagh.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
quiquemartin
Eskimo Regular

Jackson Browne is there!!!!
quiquemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #13
jasmineha
Wide eyed and hopeful..

are his eyes that intense in color? (in person...) they look incredible.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i say this with all honesty... yes, they are
Old 04-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #15
glo32
Eskimo Regular

more pics added on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/missionblue/

and according to twitter, Damien did the "pick a chord/name/color/emotion" thing - http://twitter.com/MissionBlue/status/11785224278
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #16
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

great finding Glo!!!! Hopefully they'll up the song to the Mission site or youtube!!
Old 04-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineha View Post
are his eyes that intense in color? (in person...)
Yes...
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
great finding Glo!!!! Hopefully they'll up the song to the Mission site or youtube!!
seconded... zillion thanks, glo
Old 04-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #19
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

John R Moore:

“ (…) The size of the world’s ocean’s is a bit difficult to wrap your brain around. Of the 197 million square miles of planetary surface, 139.5 million square miles are oceans!

According to the University of Southern California (USC) Geology Department, the world’s oceans vary in their levels by 180 meters (highs to lows) that’s 594 feet! This is a major part of the puzzle as to where all the water will come from that will cause worldwide tsunamis (tidal- waves) and worldwide flooding! These variations in ocean levels are (I quote from USC): “Caused by gravitational differences resulting from irregularities in the lithosphere.” Professor McCanney states that the Earth’s rotation is the major factor in this phenomenon.

Here’s what this means in plain English. The oceans have millions of square miles of water above what we think of as sea level. The oceans also have millions of square miles of water below what we think of as sea level. Go back to what the USC says above. This accounts for how the water stays in place (gravity & earth’s rotation). What is necessary to cause worldwide tsunamis (tidal waves) and worldwide flooding? New, outside forces that disrupt the earth’s rotation that currently keeps the water where it is. (…)

A disruption in the Earth’s rotation in either speed (normally 1,000 miles per hour) or direction (a pole shift), These possibilities are incorporated in what Professor McCanney calls “action at a distance, caused by very large comet” and the Earth is in deep trouble in a matter of a month (or less). Ladies and gentlemen, as I state above, the water for world-wide tsunamis & world-wide flooding is already in the world’s oceans!"

Retired ‘Green Beret’ John R Moore explains what is really behind the effects of climate change and why the elite is covertly preparing for violently rising ocean levels. He exposes the cover-up of an extinction level threat due to the approaching star (The Destroyer) and its planets.

http://chapter126.wordpress.com/
Old 04-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #20
Rai
Eskimontologist

^Qué?

That's an amazing piece of pseudoscience, skilfully mixing the 2012 nonsense with Anthropogenic Climate Change denial, with a little New World Order conspiracy thrown in. And the Bible quotes. Anyone using those while arguing for anything outside a Bible should not be trusted.

There is no Planet X approaching the Solar System, at least in the foreseeable future. (not to mention that Planet X is a now disproved hypothetical planet explaining the seemingly erratic orbits of Neptune and Uranus, that has been proven to be caused by the lower then expected mass of Neptune, so the guy can't even get his imaginary planet's names right.).

All the other names are downward stupid, I particularly like "G1.9", which is a Supernova remnant near the centre of the Galaxy

It s true that Sea levels deviate massively, but the amount of water stays constant, it's secondary school physics. In order to have floods, new water is needed, that comes from the melting in-land icecaps, especially those of Greenland.

Read this and you'll be cured

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #21
Cerque
Resident Irishman

He is really getting involved in a lot of things.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:58 AM   #22
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
and according to twitter, Damien did the "pick a chord/name/color/emotion" thing - http://twitter.com/MissionBlue/status/11785224278
i saw that, i love when he does the impromptu interactive songwriting thing

this tweet was just before it, made me laugh for some reason - http://twitter.com/MissionBlue/status/11784905792

too pretty to tweet

well i guess they must be sailing home now.. what an amazing adventure!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #23
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^
here are two more "tweets" (i´m such an ignorant ):

Quote:
Damien Rice comes onstage to sing the song he wrote this week at #missionblue 6:35 PM Apr 9th via web
i´m quite sure it´s incomplete... but since i´m not following (i don´t "tweet") this, i can´t see it. maybe someone else can help

and the other (and kind of funny one):
Quote:
Damien Rice comes onstage to sing the song he wrote this week at #missionblue 6:35 PM Apr 9th via web
Old 04-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #24
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

more pics more pics:

I wanna hear this new song!!!!!!! and the other spontaneous one he did with a colour/emotion too!!!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #25
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks marti
i wanna hear those songs too!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #26
MANGO
Eskimo Regular

T4P
MANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #27
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

New twitter post:

Damien Rice closes #MissionBlue voyage by unveiling song about oceans he wrote on board @LindbladExp Endeavour
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #28
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^wanna listen NOW
Old 04-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #29
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks shar. i want to hear the song too
Old 04-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #30
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular