Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 11-22-2006, 01:35 AM   #31
EskimoNo9
Eskimo Friend

I think tabs are helpful. Not everyone is capable of perfect pitch, so creating tablature is a hard task for some. I know it takes me a long time to find the right notes to song by just listening to it, and I've been playing the piano for years. It is gratifying to make an arrangment, but I'm sure that the ability is beyond some. It's tougher for me on the guitar, so I appreciate tabs.
EskimoNo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #32
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
Ok if you're partially deaf etc fair enough, but otherwise it will help you a lot more if you tab it yourself.
That was just intended as one example. There are all kinds of other reasons why many people - maybe even the majority - do not and cannot tab songs out for themselves. The simplest reason being that they are simply not gifted in that way. Why should they be left out from enjoying playing music simply because that is not the direction in which their talents lie? It's great that you are talented enough to work songs out for yourself, but that doesn't mean that other people are as good at this kind of thing as you are!
Old 11-22-2006, 04:29 PM   #33
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoNo9
Not everyone is capable of perfect pitch
You don't need perfect pitch to tab songs. At all. I, for one, don't have it. I don't think it takes a special "talent" to tab something either... if you can play guitar to a reasonable degree, you're capable of throwing a half decent tab together.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #34
rockthesmurf
Friend

There seems to be of noise about tabs from time to time, the last big song and dance they made was about having tabs that had both lyrics and guitar tab, that was deemed to be 'illegal', back then they said guitar tabs or lyrics seperately were ok. This time around they are trying to get rid of tabs all together, it's quite funny, tabs are just another way of showing how some music goes, it's like if you are walking down the street with your friend, and he says, "Hey, do you remember how the chorus to don't look back in anger goes?" and you say, "Yea, unforunately, it goes *sings*". You wouldn't expect someone to then jump you and say, "Hey! You can't do that! You are giving an vocal tab of that song, that's illegal!". So we are saying that singing is ok? So how about if they say do you know how to play don't look back in anger, and you jump on the piano and play it for them, would that be illegal? No? How about if they ask you how the chorus goes and you say, "G, F, G, F, E...." and so on, would that be illegal? Probably not still? So is the problem when someone says, "wait, a second, wait a second, I can't remember all that, let me write them notes down, G, F, G, F, E..." and suddenly oh nooooooooooooooo you are now crippling the record industry. Poor Noel and Liam are down to their last 10 million pound each, they can hardly afford to live.

Oh, and just for the record, just because someone says something's illegal, or they write something is illegal, it doesn't mean it is!
</rant>

Nevermind eh?

Steve
xo
Old 11-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #35
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthesmurf
There seems to be of noise about tabs from time to time, the last big song and dance they made was about having tabs that had both lyrics and guitar tab, that was deemed to be 'illegal', back then they said guitar tabs or lyrics seperately were ok. This time around they are trying to get rid of tabs all together, it's quite funny, tabs are just another way of showing how some music goes, it's like if you are walking down the street with your friend, and he says, "Hey, do you remember how the chorus to don't look back in anger goes?" and you say, "Yea, unforunately, it goes *sings*". You wouldn't expect someone to then jump you and say, "Hey! You can't do that! You are giving an vocal tab of that song, that's illegal!". So we are saying that singing is ok? So how about if they say do you know how to play don't look back in anger, and you jump on the piano and play it for them, would that be illegal? No? How about if they ask you how the chorus goes and you say, "G, F, G, F, E...." and so on, would that be illegal? Probably not still? So is the problem when someone says, "wait, a second, wait a second, I can't remember all that, let me write them notes down, G, F, G, F, E..." and suddenly oh nooooooooooooooo you are now crippling the record industry. Poor Noel and Liam are down to their last 10 million pound each, they can hardly afford to live.

Oh, and just for the record, just because someone says something's illegal, or they write something is illegal, it doesn't mean it is!
</rant>

Nevermind eh?

Steve
xo
Hahah that made me laugh.
Also I'm not against sharing tabs, I think the internet is a nice free place to exist, and you should share what you want, etc.
I don't have perfect pitch, and I can't play by ear. I just listen to a song, hear the chords play them, and then apreggiate or add notes according to how its performed, it takes no longer than 10 minutes. It's not a gift.
And it probably takes the same ammount of time to go turn your PC on, search for the tab, find a decent tab (especially if it's a rare one) and then sit and read the tab, then figure out the tempo, rhythm, strumming etc.
It's all a bit wooden and mechanical for me, and I really don't think it takes much effort to tab something yourself. Fair enough someone who's partially deaf though!
I was only jesting when I said "Ban them" though, I just disagree, I wouldn't want to stop anyone!