Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 08-24-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default Confused about Volcano

I'm confused about who wrote Volcano, I mean, the song dates from the Juniper days and it is featured in both O and on Bell XI's debut without Damien (Neither am I).

So in the Juniper days, who was the force behind the band? who was writing the songs? Damien himself on his own??

Because on O it's like all songs were written by Damien, lyrics and music. But then, if the others didn't contribute to Volcano, how come is in their debut? Did they had to have Damien's blessing/permission??
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:30 AM   #2
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

That's a thing that I've been wondering about as well. Hope somebody can shed some light on the situation. In the meantime, here's a clown
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 AM   #3
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

what a cute baby! what's his name?

i suppose with certain songs it's kind of like a lennon/mc cartney thing where they both contributed enough that they each have rights to it, but i can't feature the lyrics coming from anybody but damien.. i don't know if he was the driving force but his songwriting is so much stronger than the others..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

I'd imagine that with Volcano Damien wrote the basis for the song himself (chords/lyrics) which is why he alone is credited as the songwriter on O. At the same time the full band Juniper version would have featured parts written by the other 4 so it's fair enough that they were credited along with Damien on Neither Am I.

Writing as part of a band is a tricky thing when it comes to deciding who "wrote" a song. Sometimes someone will bring an finished song to the table with parts for everyone worked out, sometimes it'll be an acoustic thing which needs to be filled out, sometimes a couple of guys will sit down and write something and sometimes the entire band will have a 40 minute jam session and come up with about 3 minutes of usable material.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
what a cute baby! what's his name?

i suppose with certain songs it's kind of like a lennon/mc cartney thing where they both contributed enough that they each have rights to it, but i can't feature the lyrics coming from anybody but damien.. i don't know if he was the driving force but his songwriting is so much stronger than the others..
Why thank you. His name is Edan Joshua.
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:10 AM   #6
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

That's one thing I like about Coldplay, every song is listed to be written by all of the band, vocals/guitar/piano/bass/drums/ect. all credited to each one of them.
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyatt3
Why thank you. His name is Edan Joshua.
he's adorable! it looks like he's already developing a sense of humor too.. that diaper on the head gag always cracks me up
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote