Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

View Poll Results: What is the weakest song on O?
Delicate 1 2.86%
Volcano 1 2.86%
Blower's Daughter 1 2.86%
Cannonball 4 11.43%
Older Chests 8 22.86%
Aimie 2 5.71%
Cheers Darlin' 12 34.29%
Cold Water 4 11.43%
I Remember 0 0%
Eskimo 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2006, 01:28 AM   #31
nyrice45
Eskimo Friend

As far as the whole debate over calling his any of his pieces weak- i think people are just getting caught up in semantics- to me this seemed like an opinion question (it is a poll after all) so all I can offer (as Bumpman says) is my opinion on which song didnt really strike me as much as the others. I cant ever say my choice (which was cold water- just one I never got into) is weaker emotionally or musically- it just didnt really connect with me and I think thats whats being asked.

I also wanted to hear from some of the people voting for cheers darlin'- thats always been my favorite damien song- and though its not the one i listen to most, any time I put it on I remember why I like the artist. it always seemed to be the most raw saw emotionally- so just want to hear what made it the weakest on 'O' for you guys
nyrice45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:28 AM   #32
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

I guess I could defend any song on the album...

but, to an extent I agree with Bumpman because at first, I didn't get it... and now I think I do... I'm not sounding arrogant, its just my own definition.. but best example...for about the first 3 months I didn't listen to 'Older Chests' because I didn't like it... but then I listened to it more and realized (my opinion remember) that it was some of the greatest lyrics.

As far as the emotion in Older chests goes...isn't apathy or the opposite of strength in a voice and intensity, can't that be considered an emotion? I just don't see how he could have sang that song a different way and made me believe in what he was trying to convey to us. I think there is a purpose to everything in these songs, how he sings it, why he whispers in cheers darlin' which someone mentioned (which is brilliant)... there is purpose to it all. But maybe that its just me who went along and experienced and loved different songs and different times.

This is how it went for me:

Heard Delicate on tv, downloaded...loved it.
Bought cd...listened once through just at a glance and liked it.

First month: loved Delicate, Volcano, Blower's Daughter best. (listened to rest casually)
2nd month: loved I remember, Cold Water, Cheers Darlin' best (skipped Cannonball and Older Chests)
3-5 months: loved previous, then gave older chests a chance and cannonball and realized i liked them both for different reasons.

Thats how it went with me...thats just a rough estimate in time...did anyone else have a similar way but with different songs?

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:34 AM   #33
mickey13086

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrice45
As far as the whole debate over calling his any of his pieces weak- i think people are just getting caught up in semantics- to me this seemed like an opinion question (it is a poll after all) so all I can offer (as Bumpman says) is my opinion on which song didnt really strike me as much as the others. I cant ever say my choice (which was cold water- just one I never got into) is weaker emotionally or musically- it just didnt really connect with me and I think thats whats being asked.

I also wanted to hear from some of the people voting for cheers darlin'- thats always been my favorite damien song- and though its not the one i listen to most, any time I put it on I remember why I like the artist. it always seemed to be the most raw saw emotionally- so just want to hear what made it the weakest on 'O' for you guys

you say ur vote is cold water not because its weaker emotionally or musically but because you didn't connect with it... but ur asking why people voted for cheers darlin? i would assume most people are like you and didn't connect with it... but maybe someone out there thinks its emotionally/musically/mechanically weak but ill fight them to the death. haha, jk.

is there anything about cold water u dont like besides the fact that u didnt connect with it?

because i think this question does state which is weakest, and its not fair for u to say its weakest based on fact that u didnt connect with it...or could u make an argument that because that is the only song that didnt connect with you, then it must be the weakest in your opinion?? I don't know...I'm just posing questions..... i have no idea because this can be taken so many ways and im bored which is why im still typing.

MySpace
Old 08-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #34
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
maybe i misunderstood the poll... and maybe you read my post already (sorry if you did) but i copy what i wrote... of course, i chose cheers darling:
"and for me, "the weakest song" means that song which left damien without the possibility to fight (i hope you can understand what i mean)...
i imagine this situation: this song appeared (from... who knows) and give to damien the right cross... straight to his face... and pushed him away from the ring... KO...
that´s what i think!!..."

verenita
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #35
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13086
(listened to rest casually)
i dont like this at all
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:04 PM   #36
Greenmeanie
green and mean

Was different for me. I usually listen to one or two songs from an album and then come back to it, but when I first got O I just sat dumbstruck and in awe all the way through. I actually couldnt be parted from it, so I lugged my knackered old cd player around with me everywhere I went for about two weeks.
Greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:37 AM   #37
nyrice45
Eskimo Friend

verenita- saw your post- but 10 others voted for it also- so figured Id pose that question

I wasnt saying cold water is the weakest in general- just my least favorite - I agreed with other posters that its impossible to label anything weakest-

as for why its my least favorite- I guess its a combination of just not connecting with it musically or emotionally, a lack of lyrics and probably my own unwillingness to give it a chance- the one thing about the album- the songs werent all instant-favorites- they gradually shift positions- but this song never has been on the top of my list

the reason you cant call it weakest is because that song might not call for more lyrics, or different notes- it may be great and perfect and real as it is- but for my opinion it is my least favorite- simply because it doesnt really strike me like other songs
nyrice45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:02 AM   #38
mickey13086

good answer sir/ma'm

MySpace
Old 08-25-2006, 03:52 PM   #39
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
verenita- saw your post- but 10 others voted for it also- so figured Id pose that question
the reason you cant call it weakest is because that song might not call for more lyrics, or different notes- it may be great and perfect and real as it is- but for my opinion it is my least favorite- simply because it doesnt really strike me like other songs
ok!
verenita
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote