Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 10-25-2005, 09:07 PM   #31
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Have to say Andrew, that was largely complete bullsh*t! You paid for O and you got O. You probably paid to see him in concert and got to see him in concert. Damien has kept up his part of the bargain...he owes you nothing!
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:46 PM   #32
Andrew
Eskimo Regular

Whoa now, calm down...I am not saying Damien has to do anything. What I provided in my previous post was somewhat of an insight as to maybe why other people feel as if they are owed something. My only problem with Damien is that he said he would do something and he simply did not do it. He, as can anyone else, do whatever the hell they want to do but when someone says they are going to do something I normally expect them to do so. Forgive me for being gullible. Look, I know Damien doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to. Saying he is going to release an album last year and neglecting to do so is his business...I am just an old fashioned musician who thinks the fans are everything. I would never in a million years neglect a fan base the way Damien has done. I wouldnt care less if Damien only chose to release one album because plenty of bands do so, but he said to expect a second one in 2004 and i think everyone did. Now, if Damien were trying to perfect this album then so be it, but at least let people know whats going on. Ive been to some of his shows and I have seen him over react about some pretty lame stuff. He is just one of those bitter musicians with an ego problem and enjoys being a jerk off sometimes. I love Damien's music but its been a long time since ive come across a musician who neglects his fans so much. I guess the exact opposite of damien would be josh ritter. Josh always comes on stage with a smile on his face, he talks and laughs with the audience, he lets his fans know whats going on, and he geniunely seems to enjoy what he's doing. Damien is so unpredictable and rarely seems like he truly enjoys what hes doing. I am just used to nice, friendly musicians who take pride in their fans and damien is simply so far from that. There is no point in attacking me for expecting more out of Damien. I do truly think he is a brilliant musician, more in the mad scientist sense, and I think anyone has the right to feel owed something or not. I know its Damien's life, but since he is living off his fans' money and since he said he would release a long overdue album, I think anyone should be allowed to vent their frustrations about it without being shunned.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #33
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

a very interesting way of looking at it andrew... quite diverse but interesting.. I dont think damien is in dept to us. I think its actually the reverse effect and it is our "choice" to buy this cd. It is our choice to see him in concert and so forth..

im on 2 sides about the situation.. i believe damien makes music for himself but also wants his music to be heard on a wide scale... i believe he shouldn't feel pressured but should also feel obliged to his fans and himself

i suppose its the road that he took in releasing "O". It started out as a project. To create a cd of beauty and ultimately to release it and to promote it by himself and manufacture it himself.. I doubt he even thought that it would turn into a global merchandising corporation. It sickens me to see his CD in shops with a huge price tag and various things written beside it. Or to hear it in your local burger king (which i believe has no place for his music) but i suppose thats his choice at the end of the day and thats the road he has taken...

I for one can wait for him to release something.

It's his cd, we are only listening to it...

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:06 PM   #34
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
He is just one of those bitter musicians with an ego problem and enjoys being a jerk off sometimes.
I think thats a bit harsh even for you andrew... I can agree he can be slightly moody but i can also agree i would probably be in the same situation if people showed up to gigs shouting out insane things just to be heard in a big room... We all know theres people out there... probably a few reading this now

The one thing ill say is that he has reasons behind it... Everyone has a reason and its pretty harsh to accuse him of having an "ego problem" or for being a "jerk" just for how he reacts on stage when all he wants is people to appreciate his music...

stop trying to be controversial... i understand people can vent feelings but theres little point in blaming the guy for not releasing something

as wheels said "the contract is over"

Old 10-25-2005, 10:12 PM   #35
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

yeh i agree with you simon, i can wait...to be fair i loved him from the moment i first saw him at glastonbury a few years back, the first thing i did was get my arse online to purchase the album and i truly fell in love with it, it didn't leave my cd player, it brought me here (what an amazing place to be led to) and i still love it...for the first time i tried to find every song of an artist i possibly could (normally i would be quite satisfied with the album but i had to hear more), however that was and still is enough, when he decides to release a new album and tour again i will be there with bells on but until that happens, i am happy to wait, i don't feel i have any right to demand anything from him (doesn't mean i don't wish he would get his arse in gear and release something!) but hey some people have less patience and are much more easily annoyed by the waiting, let them be i guess!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:14 PM   #36
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

Ssssh people..be patient..we dont wanna scare Damo off do we...

Uno- X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:45 PM
jasonAVO
This message has been deleted by jasonAVO. Reason: because im being cyber stalked by someone and want to get rid of personal stuff
Old 10-26-2005, 11:56 PM   #37
gomezxico
2day is 1day away from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno- X
Ssssh people..be patient..we dont wanna scare Damo off do we...

JasonAVO, hope things get better

Andrew, "he said he would do something and he simply did not do it," true, but can we blame him? he is human after all. I completley agreethat people should carry out what they said they would, but life doesn't always work that way.

"Damien's OCCUPATION is being a musician."--- yeah but then again people change occupations as they please...he is not tied down...he has no obligation to maintain this occupation.

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
gomezxico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:00 PM   #38
snowbaby
Eskimo Regular

ah chill out lads... go listen to some other musician or band for a while... by the by jasonAVO... run to hawaii run run carpe dium and all that
Old 10-31-2005, 11:44 PM   #39
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

Ah, I remember when I first got into O and it was rare to find someone here who knew who Damien was...I loved the CD more than any other CD that I had heard at the time, I somehow got hold of a bootleg of Damien playing somewhere in Cork...I think it was of the album launch gigs or something...it's not a rare bootleg I know that...and Damien said that a new album was coming out very soon which was much darker...oho I couldn't wait!

In January 2004 I got to see Damien play in Newcastle and he was kinda moody but still great live...the moodiness probably added to it yup! A few songs that weren't on O were played, I thought they were new, they weren't. I almost sold my kidney (the guy who was going to buy it fell £10 short...I wanted exactly what we agreed on) to see that gig because Damien hit me more in a way that no other musician had ever hit me before...he was making music because he loved it and wasn't conforming to the industry, he didn't like his album being advertised, he wasn't really making music videos (there was Cannonball which Damien made himself which wasn't a 'normal' video so I loved it) and I just thought this guy is giving the finger to the industry, he didn't want to be popular he just wanted to make music for himself and his fans and that's it...he's what a musician should be!

Fast forward a year, there is not much talk of another album (if he's perfecting then yay, I'm patient...I waited 5 years for Weezer to release their latest album and didn't complain...although I did think they were broken up), Damien is playing shows live on TV (not so bad, it's nice to rewatch something...even if it is taped from TV), there are O adverts on TV and in shops, Damien makes a music video...more than once, he lets a mainstream film use his music (theres a hidden agenda to help break into the mainstream there in my opinion), he releases his already released singles about 15 times, releases a Bsides album (okay that I was happy about) and then reissues O with the Bsides as one package...for cheaper than what I bought O for originally, there's a remix of Cannonball made for radio...he did everything right to break into the mainstream so he could 'sell' his music.
I still love O to this day...but I don't feel betrayed in that he has stopped playing live, because I mean come on, the guy never stopped in 2003 and 2004 and I've seen him and he'll be back, but I do feel betrayed in a way that he created an image of himself and then sold himself down the river...I didn't mind him blowing up, he deserved it...I just felt hurt (which I shouldn't because it's Damiens life and music not mine) because he let the fame and money consume him and lost that image...and now there's no sign of a record that was promised us 2 years ago...in 2 months it's 2006 and I await another release of Cannonball, possibly this time with a moogcookbook remix of Volcano as a B-Side (that could actually be cool) to get him some more money and make sure the fickle mainstream don't forget about him (I saw him mentioned on that new Acoustic Love CD advert) whilst we wait...and wait...and wait (which I don't mind doing as it'll kick as when it comes out...as long as unplayed Piano or any song sounding like it is on it)
That's how I feel betrayed...oh and I'm not saying Damien has no right to do what he's doing because it's his life and his music and he can do what the heck he wants with it and I'm not saying Damien owes me anything (well there was that one time where he nicked that tenner from me...he hasn't given me that back yet) so please don't read it that way.
Anyway yeah not really relevant here but you know thought I might add it.
*HUGS*
Old 11-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #40
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese
he releases his already released singles about 15 times, releases a Bsides album (okay that I was happy about) and then reissues O with the Bsides as one package...for cheaper than what I bought O for originally
this is the only thing i would really wanna scold damien for, i think it's rather disrespectful to those fans who bought the singles and the original O in the first place. why??? i mean, releasing a b-sides album with extras is great after like 5-10 albums, not just one! don't know if it's damien's decision or his record company's, but i'd definately call that milking it.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:50 PM   #41
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

hmmm... i kinda dont know what to say...... i started this lpage thingy on a rant when i was totally pissed off at a lot of things and now it has totallly gotten really interesting! (a first for me). obviously i'm not really as stupid sounding and ignorant as i sounded in my opening thingy.... and find myself in two minds about it as loads of other people who answered.

Firstly; Whoever answered Jasons reply trying to tell him what he should have done or whatever sounded like a total prick, tool, and as we say in Cork, a langer.

That reply that was talking about comparing musicians to being like our employers is very interesting and if i had expressed myself properly in the first place it would have looked alot like that.... but truthfully i have to hope and believe that there is more to music, or at least good music than a money machine like in an industrialised country....

However, a tiny part of me is really unpset and does feel cheated by the whole situation..... another herecy ive been thinking about is that, considering damien has over 30 songs that i know of, dare i say it he is making a financial decision and leaving us hanging by choice? - like i said; in two minds!!

Finally, i actually felt like i was almost being attacked for wat i said at the start of this whole link page thing. i wasnt expecting that from a damien fansite, surely if his songs say anything its thatyou are allowed feel **** and pissed off some of the time? (but then again maybe thats exactly what i provoked!)

thanks for whoever had enough time to read this!

and Jason, im not too sure but i think it wasnt that damo was hugely unhappy with juniper, it was just small things and i think it was cuase he wasted Eskimo as the first single and the record company wouldnt have it was why he left, but i stand corrected
Old 11-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #42
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFriend
Firstly; Whoever answered Jasons reply trying to tell him what he should have done or whatever sounded like a total prick, tool, and as we say in Cork, a langer.
Quote:
obviously i'm not really as stupid sounding and ignorant as i sounded in my opening thingy....
Obviously....
I'm not even going to try to reason with you, but I will say this: Jason posted something. I proffered an opinion but most definately did not tell him what to do. I don't think he feels like I did, or was offended by what I wrote (Jason?). What it has to do with you, I'm not sure. If you want to raise a point then do, but attack the post not the poster. I've e-mailed Emmett because you're quite obviously trolling and you won't be hearing from me in future.

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would be an affront to your intelligence." George Bernard Shaw
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:07 AM   #43
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
Obviously....
I'm not even going to try to reason with you, but I will say this: Jason posted something. I proffered an opinion but most definately did not tell him what to do. I don't think he feels like I did, or was offended by what I wrote (Jason?). What it has to do with you, I'm not sure. If you want to raise a point then do, but attack the post not the poster. I've e-mailed Emmett because you're quite obviously trolling and you won't be hearing from me in future.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as you so rightfully say, so why am i not? if i have offended you im dreadfully sorry but in my opinion you have no right to be telling someone what they should or shouldnt have done, or that if u were in their shoes you would have doen things differently. I mean especially concerning something as apparently serious as was being descirbed it seemed totally out of place and none of your business to come out of the blue and tell him you would have done things differently. it seems a very big and stupid assumption that from 1 page of a reply that you think you were qualified to openly criticise someone you dont really know at all (unless of course ye are friends outsite of the web!).I'n not sure what trolling around is supposed to mean and i'm not exactly sure its fair to go off 'telling' on me either. If you take offence to anything ive said in terms of language im sorry, but i'm from cork, ireland and swearing and being frank is not really an insult at all its just the way we talk, so forgive me if i insulted you.

thanks again and feel free to reply if you want,

MacFriend
Old 11-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #44
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

Sorry, just as another point, did anyone else think i was being THAT insulting? sorry if i'm evil!
Old 11-03-2005, 12:50 AM   #45
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

lets all agree to disagree and stop victimising each other

and if i was called a langer id burst out laughing
but thats only cos im from dublin

Old 11-03-2005, 11:15 AM   #46
cille
creepycute

strange irish people, please explain the term 'langer'..?
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #47
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

langer is like the irish word for tool. its like calling someone a tool but in a funny way, friendly like.

Technicially its also the term for your schlong, or pe-pe! its all in the delivery!
Old 11-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #48
cille
creepycute

it's always 'friendly like' with the irish isn't it?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #49
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
it's always 'friendly like' with the irish isn't it?

Its true! its funny cause not everyone gets that and i forget that i can sound like a langball sometime when talking to ye crazy non irish!

(langball is kind of like langer.... it means nothing!)
Old 11-18-2005, 03:43 AM   #50
lotty
Eskimo Friend

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
. It sickens me to see his CD in shops with a huge price tag and various things written beside it. Or to hear it in your local burger king (which i believe has no place for his music) but i suppose thats his choice at the end of the day and thats the road he has taken...

I for one can wait for him to release something.

It's his cd, we are only listening to it...
This thread has been amusing to say the least.. man, people get so worked up..

In my opinion (and thats all it is so please don't shoot me for it), if playing his music in Burger King or even having the CD in a CD shop, reaches people who wouldn't otherwise have even heard of Damien Rice, more power to him. He is a musician and he wants his music/art to be heard. He's not selling out on anyone. If you were in the same position, you would do exactly the same thing...(i.e just ponder this, will i lay low and remain oblivious to everyone other than in my own birth country or will it put it out there to reach the rest of the world?).. i think there could only be one answer - the latter. Musicians who claim otherwise, are people we haven't heard of for this very reason. Most musicians want to be global - for the money and for the other benefits - to touch people with their music.. nothing wrong with that.

I for one am living proof that if i didn't actually go into a movie theatre to watch 'a commercial' movie 'Closer' - i would not of heard of Damien Rice! The music in that movie was something that stayed with me and then i went in searchof this person called Damien Rice, which lead to discovering his music and to discovering this website. And i love what heard and I for one, have passed his music on to friends who also had not heard of him.. Am I not worthy enough a fan b/c I don't have the fortune of living in the UK or Ireland to have been caught up in all hype and have access to the gigs? The point is, I have discovered it thanks to the music becoming more commercialised/global.

Anyway, I'll go away before the attackers come to get me!!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #51
cille
creepycute

*argh grr anger anger grr*

Quote:
(langball is kind of like langer.... it means nothing!)
i gotta visit your nonsensical country one day!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #52
Bumpman

Anyone who's been a member of this forum for a while will remember having this argument over and over again, and honestly i don't think it's worth talking about anymore, it always just ends up with no-one being able to draw any conclusions except that Damien is contradicting himself at every turn. Every time he's been on the radio or in a magazine for as long as i can remember he's always been saying one thing and doing another.

The only thing that i am sure of at this stage is that he honestly doesn't give a shíte whether people think he's out to make great music, or to make big money... whatever he's going to do, he'll end up doing anyway and short of assaulting him on the street, there isn't a damn thing we can do about that.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:43 PM   #53
BarBar
Eskimo Baby

Lightbulb JASON Why couldn't you just go the wedding??

Why could'nt you just go to the wedding, shut your mouth and be nice for about 12 hours. Is it completely alien to you to do something you dont want to do for someone else.
I'm sure your kids/Family are going to want you to do things that you dont want to.What if those things are

"counter to the core of how you believe you should live life to find happiness."
???

Time to grow up now and be a big boy.

It was probably more hassle for me to read your mile long post than it would have been for you to book that flight and get on the plane..
BarBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:52 PM
jasonAVO
This message has been deleted by jasonAVO. Reason: because im being cyber stalked by someone and want to get rid of personal stuff
Old 11-19-2005, 02:24 AM   #54
tj
Phono Vox

First of all.. one thing.. Damien is not Westlife. Or the Frames.. wink, wink!

He is only human and a human can only take so much of touring. I did a mini Irish tour during the summer.. and even that ****ed my head up. I was talking about things that happened in Sligo that acually happened in Donegal... some of the time I didnt even know what county I was in. This said... think how Damien feels when he has been touring constantly for a few years... around the world. He deserves a break!

As for being betrayed by Damien... what the hell? He never agreed to anything from the very start.. in fact he made it clear that he was going to do what he wanted.. when he wanted and fair play to him!
Old 11-19-2005, 02:28 AM   #55
not so far to go to find
Eskimo Baby

****in hell, i just came in to have a look around yesterday and must admit got some entertainment out this thread. on the note of when the next albums comin out, who gives a ****, would like to hear it but not rippin the skin off my face over it, why dont ye go check out some other artists while yer waitin. ill send you a list of people, jus as good as damo but in different ways,that could bankrupt you. failing that if its affecting you that much start writing your own songs or playing or somethin. get a grip people there is more important things in the world.
sorry if i offended anyone, just needed to be said, slag me off for it if you like im off to make a cup of tea
not so far to go to find is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:33 AM   #56
tj
Phono Vox

Thumbs up

*claps* well put!!
Old 11-19-2005, 05:27 PM   #57
gomezxico
2day is 1day away from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj
First of all.. one thing.. Damien is not Westlife. Or the Frames.. wink, wink!

He is only human and a human can only take so much of touring. I did a mini Irish tour during the summer.. and even that ****ed my head up. I was talking about things that happened in Sligo that acually happened in Donegal... some of the time I didnt even know what county I was in. This said... think how Damien feels when he has been touring constantly for a few years... around the world. He deserves a break!

As for being betrayed by Damien... what the hell? He never agreed to anything from the very start.. in fact he made it clear that he was going to do what he wanted.. when he wanted and fair play to him!
very well put too tj.

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
gomezxico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #58
BarBar
Eskimo Baby

Default JasonAVO: Summary

It seems to me you are prepared to compromise you complex belief system for some people i.e. your daughter (on occasion!) and then not for others like your sister on other occasions.
So it would seem there is a bit of give an take depending entirely on WHO is trying to bleed every ounce of strength from you at that particular time.
RELATIVE!!!

If you can obtain some element of joy (for yourself of course!), by simply leaving somebody out in fornt of you in a car then consider what sort of jubilation you might entertain from showing up at your own sisters wedding day.

Your philosophy is simple.
You will do what you want, when you want!

Dont dress it up Jason.Just say out loud. "I am Selfish and I will live selfishly".
I'd respect your stance a whole lot more if you just admitted that.

P.S
Maybe consider letting your daughter get a bit older before you force your not entirely mainstream belief system on top of her. Shes probably wont disagree but that certainly dosn't suggest agreement.
P.P.S keep it concise please if possible
BarBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #59
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

Deleted... as this is so boring, even my own post bored me to tears...

http://www.myspace.com/justinthorne
http://www.myspace.com/jtintheshadows

Last edited by Juzzza; 11-21-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Juzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:29 PM   #60
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

Wink

Is it just me or do Jason and BarBar have some unseen chemistry?????
anyone???