Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 12-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
Mediocer
Eskimo Baby

Default Guitar

I am looking for new guitar. I am trying to find one that sounds as nice as Damiens.

I am not sure if he has a thumb pick or not when he plays. Do you know?

Any ways, the guitar I have does not accent the hammer ons as well and damiens does. It is drowned out by the other strings.

Are there different strings I could try out first, before spending a lot of money on a new acoustic?

The sound is amazing the is emitted from his acoustic, its old, but brilliantly full of sound.

Thanks for all and any input you may have,

Mediocer
Mediocer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Ok firstly what guitar are you playing at the moment, im not sure if Damien uses a thumbpick, but when i play his stuff i play it all fingerstyle, i think it gives the best kind of mood. Its important to understand that the tone that Damien has comes firstly from a fully solid acoustic, one of these is important if you want to nail his tone, secondally Solid guitars sound better and fuller as they age due to a process of the wood drying out over time, therefore it is impossible to replicate the exact tonality with a new guitar. However some guitar makes to go for if you have the cash would be Martin, Taylor, Santa Cruz, Takamine etc, also i dont think a dreadnought would be the way to go, something OM sized would probs be ideal aswell as being very versatille for other musicial styles. A quality acoustic is going to be a sound investment and stay with you for life so its worth forking out the cash and going upmarket if your serious about your playing than just buying an ''ok'' guitar which you will have to replace later on. As far as strings are concerned ive always been from the camp that the thicker they are the better, there harder to play but the tone results are worth it, i grew up playing a 12 string dreadnought with high action, so every string i use now feels like cotton in comparison, i know thats not the case for most people but i really would recommend trying to play with the heaviest strings you can.

Thom

Last edited by Tommy; 12-08-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Mediocer
Eskimo Baby

Thats what i have right now, an ok guitar.
Its an Acoustic Electric Peavy w/ cutaway. It was a gift.
I play with very light strings now, so ill have to get some heavy ones and give it a try.

Thx

Mediocer