Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 12-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
MrBlue
Eskimo Baby

Question Home Recording

Hey All,
Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding home/pc recording. I was going to order this card: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tem?sku=701376
To get my laptop setup, but I would appreciate any advice on what software is being used , cakewalk etc, and experiences with it. Also, I am playing a Martin 000-16 gt so I will need a mic as well. I really know not much about this so please do not be afraid to post what you may consider remedial replies. Thanks in advance.
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
coreyb
eskiphotographer

hey there... i've done a decent bit of home recording so i can lend some advice... take it or leave it!

i would start to check out the mobile products made by M-Audio as far as interfacing with your laptop goes (http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...ileinterfaces)... as for software i'd definitely check out cakewalk sonar... it's worked excellently for me... simple enough to learn yet hefty enough to grow into... as far as a mic, i'd look into picking up a nice condenser... you can use it for both vocals and most instruments... i love the budget-friendly Studio Projects B1... far better than a behringer (ugh)... just do some research on mics... there's a lot to know and it can get very very specific...

my bare-bones setup has been this:
custom built pc
m-audio delta 44 soundcard
studio projects b1 condenser
coreyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:48 AM   #3
Timeé
Intello

get a mean ass AKG C414b XLII like me.
and rob an oul copy of Adobe audition from bitorrent.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:19 AM   #4
MrBlue
Eskimo Baby

Thank you both.
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
HtheLionhearted
A Professor

i've got an MBOX2 Pro with protools. and it does a damn good job so far. i've only scraped the surface of it tho
HtheLionhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
rockthesmurf
Friend

I did some research about a year or two ago regarding getting together a cheap recording setup (before that I just used a cheapo mic plugged directly in to my sound card). From a series of recommendations I ended up going with:

Behringer UB502 -this is a smaller mixer, it has 4 seperate channels, some of which can be used in mono or stereo meaning you can get more inputs if using mono devices. It has a preamp built in for condensor microphones.

Samson C01 - this is a large diaphragm condensor microphone, recommended to me for recording acoustic guitar, or generally ambient recordings.

Shure SM57 - this is quite a common standard dynamic microphone, often used when gigging, it was however recommended to me as a good choice for a home setup, to be used mainly for vocals, but it can be used for mic'ing up guitar amps etc.

Popper stopper - these come in very cheap, I think I got mine from maplin for about £10, I was told one of these are ESSENTIAL for vocal recordings, and personally I agree, the improvement they make for £10 makes more difference than I would have got spending an extra £300 on a microphone.

Mic stands - I got a couple relatively cheap again, can't remember where, maybe maplin again, about £12 each. A reasonably worthy investment, stops virbations causing background noise, and allows you to position the microphone such that you don't have to strain to play/sing in to it.

Cables - I just went for cheap ones, mainly from ebay shops I believe, a couple of SLR cables for the mic's, a couple of jack to jack leads to run my keyboard in to it, and another lead to get the output from the mixer in to my PC. The output lead to my PC turned out to be the hardest to track down, turns out it is more commonly used as a DJ's cable (two large jacks (mono) to a smaller jack (3.5mm) stereo).

I run everything in to my sblive soundcard (which is, uhh, 10 years old or something?). For software I normally use Adobe Audition, I have used it for about 6 years now (back when it was cool edit pro), it isn't as sophisticated as other expensive packages, but I find it has the features I need, so I figure why over complicate things?

I think the total I paid was around £140 inc delivery, vat, cables, etc. (doesn't include PC, soundcard or software).

I am pleased with what I got, I find now that the recordings aren't as good quality as I'd like, so I'm thinking about further upgrading, but by going with the above cheap stuff I have been able to produce some reasonable recordings (for my own satisfaction). I guess the next thing I'll be changing is the sound card, then probably get another mic, then probably change the mixer, ideally for one without a preamp and buy a seperate preamp, but everything costs money so we'll see.

I hope that gives you some ideas at least, if nothing else you could check out some reviews on the above gear and see if it sounds like it could be suitable for what you are after. Oh, just for the record everything above is in the cheap end, I'd recommend it as a good 'starter' package.

Steve
xo
Old 12-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #7
fitzcarraldo66
Eskimo Baby

Default What I have

Hey I just upgraded my setup and I get a pretty good sound out of it.

Presonus Firebox - This is a great little mixer it give you enough inputs to track a guitar, mic, bass, and another vocal or instrument at one and you get pro sound

Presonus Tube Pre- A good little tube preamp got it to get a warmer sound and so I could track guitar and vocals at once becuase i had a different mixer and the phantom power interfered with both inputs

Sonar 6- a great program has really good plugins and gets you the highest quality for pc in my opinion because if you upgrade to windows xp pro x64 it gives you 64 bit quality

AKG Perception 200 Condenser Microphone- I love this mic i gives me the sound i want and it has a -10 db pad on it so its good for recording horn and pick up everything and has a really good equalibrium between highs and lows

Thats pretty much it i feel this is a really good setup for me but it might not be for you but all i can say is i get amazing sound replication out of this setup and it can easily pass for pro quality all together i spent a little under 1300 with a new pc so its fairly cheap compare to the 2000 i would have spend for a pro tools set up
fitzcarraldo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
Timeé
Intello

heres my setup.

i use a 16track Fostex recording machine. around 16 inputs. good job.

then i have an AKG C414B XLII for recording mostly solo vocals.

then an AKG C1000S which seem to be realllly popular.

and then Adobe Audition for mixing.

AKG C414B XLII €1200
AKG C1000S €200
FOSTEX VF160EX €777
------
€ 2177

priceless. plus im 16
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
rockthesmurf
Friend

It's interesting to see what setups other people have, and how they find them. If anyone else wishes to post their setup I'd be interested!

Steve
xo
Old 01-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #10
Fool
Eskimo Fool

Hey, first of all, happy new year everyone! I haven't been here for a while.

I use a behringer 'mini mixer'. It has 4 'proper' inputs and several others, which I don't use. You need some kind of interface or decent soundcard with multiple inputs (which I've yet to get) if you want to record more than two tracks at the same time. If two tracks is all you need, most decent recording applications will allow you to record seperatly from the left and right channel, which, tada, gives you two tracks if you assign the tracks to the appropriate channel. The mixer has phantom power on 4 of the tracks (I'm only going to talk about the 4 'real' tracks, as they're all I use). Both standard mic input and guitar jack inputs. Gain, 3 band eq (with a low cut function), fx mix, pan and level controls. The mixers has 100 in built, non-modifiable effects, but tbh you're better off using the software you have, providing it's good. The mixer plugs in via the line in on the computer, and has a lot more functions (which I have no use for) so I won't go into them. When I bought it, new, it was 120 quid. I've seen them cheaper since, and imagine second hand, they're probably available from 70 or more?

Microphones that I use, and I'm still learning lots on these and borrowing different ones of friends. The ones I own are an SM58, SM57 and PG81 (cheap condensor) all of which are Shure microphones. I have no use for the 57. The 58 can be good for vocals, though generally better live I find. The PG81 is what I'm currently using for vocals, as I like to pick up every sound of the vocal, for feeling and effect, even lots of breathing. If that's not your cup of tea, a 58 may be a better idea. Saying this, The best good value, **cheap** condensor microphone I've used is an AKGc1000s (I think that's what it's called) which are available for 100 quid in various places on the net. If you goto a music shop and ask for a condensor mic, be very careful of what they offer you. It was only after buying the PG81 that I found out I could of got the AKG for an extra 20 quid, and had also been offered an even worse mic for more in another shop. But, with microphones, it's always going to be personal preference, are you gonna record your guitar with one mic? or two? or one mic and a good pickup system? etc etc.

Software that I have used is Cubase SX3, Logic Platinum 5.5 (the last PC version), Sonar6, Protools Free and various other free programs such as a program called Audacity. The one I get on with most is Cubase, but it was the first program I used, so I may be biased. If you intend to use MIDI (which even if you don't now, you probably will in future) Logic, imo, is definatly the best program to use. In fact, hey, go buy yourself a mac whilst you're at it! I would think though, that Cubase is by far the easiest to learn with, especially over programs like Sonar6, which I could not get my head round one bit.

Anyway, I think alcohol has caused me to make a giant post that probably doesn't actually help. But, who knows Good luck, let us know what you go with!
Fool is offline   Reply With Quote