Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 01-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
unspokenxtruth
vegetarian eskimo

Default acoustic guitar help

Hey, I want to buy a good but REALLY cheap acoustic guitar, and I had a couple questions....the reason i want it cheap is because im just a beginner, and just need something to practise with....anyways:
1) what are good brands
2)What are bad brands
3)Where should i buy it? i live in canada
4) is there a good online site for one
5) What is the cheapest i should go? without it being crap
6) How long did it take u to learn it
7)how do i know when its good(what to look for)
8) How do i know when its cheap or bad

THNX for the help!!!!!!!! means a lot
unspokenxtruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Calum
Eskimo Regular

Um, hmm... all those questions are extremely difficult to answer but...:

1. Everyone has their own preferences, you need to go out to guitar shops and try various brands, models and woods out, and get an experienced sales rep to help you out. Remember, they can't make you buy a guitar, so try out as many as you like and odn't feel bad for wasting their time.
2. ^
3. I recommend trying loads out at various shops, then buying it online from a cheap, yet reputable website. It usually doesn't take too much effort to find the cheapest and best quality online shop.
4. Ah, i answered my own question! Well, i believe www.musiciansfriend.com is good, and i have seen their good prices, but i don't know if that's just USA... might be.
5. As cheap as you like, without being crap. The answer to this is exactly the same as question 1: Only you can answer this, after you have tried different guitars and compared them. Also, pay close attention to the attributes of the most common woods.
6. How do you mean? Well... i've been playing for about 2 1/2 years if that helps.
7. Well, most solid topped guitars will give a good sound, but other than that, it's all preference.
8. When you feel that it is cheap or bad.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
MrBlue
Eskimo Baby

Good and really cheap do not get along with each other very well.
If you want to spend as little as possible I would go to a pawn shop. Brands are irrelevant as long as it is relatively easy to play and stays in tune. If you enjoy playing you will move up to a name brand sooner or later anyway, as far as long it takes to learn, you can get basic chord shapes and strum patterns down within a few months if you practice every day.
You can also look here http://www.musiciansfriend.com
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unspokenxtruth
7)how do i know when its good(what to look for)
8) How do i know when its cheap or bad
I've been playing for about four years, but still consider myself a beginner.

One thing that's fairly obvious to a beginner when you pick up a guitar is how hard it is to hold the strings against the fretboard.

The larger the distance between the strings and the fret board (usually the harder it is to hold down the string. This is called the "action".

Big Action => Big Distance from string to fretboard => Louder sound & harder to hold string down => more pain!

Conversely, if the strings are close to the fretboard they're easier to hold down. The sound is usually quieter (not a problem for Damien Rice style music), but be careful to check that none of the strings ring off the frets.

To check: Play each string while held at each fret in turn and listen for the string rattling off other frets further up the fretboard (towards the sound hole).
Old 01-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
frankbell
Allt Faller Pa Plats

i second the pawn shop suggestion...

my first guitar was purchased at a small lil shop somewhere 3 hours south of atlanta, ga, usa... i'm pretty sure it's plywood, and i think i payed $50usd for it; some acoustic electric by an unknown maker. i threw some quality strings on it, and had it set up a bit (for a cheap price), and now i still have it and sometimes play out with it. i'd say go with what sounds nice to you, and comfortable to play with...

my first guitar:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...82461921788362

also, try checking out craigslist...

best wishes! and definitely let us know how it turns out when you find it!
cheers,
|fb|
frankbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:25 AM   #6
BIG TIM
Polar bear

I'll tell you that I have had two attempts at learning to play and the fist one was done all wrong I had brought a cheap nylon string guitar and I didn't know how to tune and when I did get it tuned by someone else it went straight back out because it was new.

the second time was when I brought a guitar off my friend. I have no idea how much it was worth but i paid $20 for it 5 years ago and its still going strong today.

my advice would be go for a steel string, it will hurt at first but the sound is much more rewarding.

good way to pick it up is obviously getting tabs off the net but there are exercises that really help as well. if you go to tab universe they have some lessons there too

best of luck
Old 01-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
rockthesmurf
Friend

If buying a second hand (or v. cheap guitar) be careful that it is actually possible to tune the guitar, I find on guitars that have been knocked around a bit, or just have plain shoddy work done in making them, you can tune the strings so when you play each string open they ring out correctly, and if you play a C chord it sounds pretty much fine, but then when you try playing further up the fret broad, the note start going out of tune (more and more the further up you go). The quick test I'd always do is make sure the open string sounds the same as when playing the 12th fret (the octave), by sound the same I mean the same note, it will be an octave higher but I think it's reasonably easy to notice if the note isn't the same.

Secondly, I'd follow what others have said, in making sure you can pluck the string reasonably heavily on each fret with out getting loads of rattleing and buzzing. Getting a small amount when hit very hard is okay, if you listen to some Eric Claptop acoustic stuff you'll hear him buzzing from time to time, and he doesn't seem to mind too much.

Guitars with a big body give quite a nice, loud sound, so I'd probably go with one of them first, my first guitar was a guitar with a half bowl back, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Steve
xo
Old 01-09-2007, 02:10 AM   #8
tomek322
Eskimo Baby

I think the idea of pawn shops is very sexy and artistic, unfortunately not realistic. In todays internet age, i'm pretty sure most owners know what guitars are worth and you pretty much get what you pay for.

I would not buy sight unseen. Go to a local shop and look around, some guitars might appeal more to you asthetically. I know guitars are an auditory instrument, but playing can be tough and frustrating at first so if you like your guitar you might be more inclined to practice.

If you are looking for a discounted guitar, after you find something you like. I would check out the acoustic guitar forum. People on there are generally friendly and helpful. Many second hand guitars and you can find a deal on someone elses first guitar. WHo knows you might snag a deal.

That said, it will be hard for you to distinguish what is "hard" or "easy" as far as strength required to fret a string. When you are in the store. As your fingers aren't use to it. If you have any friends that play, take them along shopping. If you have no such luck, ask on here maybe a playing eskimo is in ur area. Don't be fooled by the sales person, as most of them can play very well and can make every guitar in the store sound great and appear easy to play.

My first guitar was an Ibanez AW-100, i still love it. If you buy new, I think $300 is the price point where you get solid top guitars. Solid top guitars will sound better with time, laminated tops will not. So spend the extra $80 bucks.

As far as time, it is all person dependant. It took me two months to be able to switch through all the open chords. Another four to learn the F chord. And about 1.5 years to learn every dave matthews song. I was in college and playing about 2-4 hours a day. No real short cuts to playing, just practice.
tomek322 is offline   Reply With Quote