Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 04-09-2007, 03:18 AM   #1
rockthesmurf
Friend

Default Just a dream

Hey,

I know I can't capture an emotion in any way comparable to someone as talented as Damien Rice, but I do like to be able to look up to him and try.

So here's a song idea I had in my head trying to capture the feeling you have when you have broken up with someone but kind of wish you hadn't as you see their life unrolling in to happyness with Mr New and you feel yours in limbo:

Just A Dream

I haven't posted an MP3 on here before so I'm not sure what to expect, this isn't a full song, just an idea I had.

Steve
xo
Old 04-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

You have a real bad problem with tuning unfortunately Steve. You drop off key quite often (particularly at the end of holding notes). Practice makes perfect so keep at it
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C
You have a real bad problem with tuning unfortunately Steve. You drop off key quite often (particularly at the end of holding notes). Practice makes perfect so keep at it
I cant believe Dean's being nice. But lets be honest your never in key to drop off it, the singing is nay good at all. Id like to say practice makes perfect but I cant imagine you ever sounding good, some people just dont have the voices to sculpt.

Thom
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

It's not bad I thought it was ok. I agree with Dean.
I DO NOT agree with Tommy however, he has one of the worst voices I've ever heard; "some people just dont have the voices to sculpt" Is a very hypocritical thing to say considering he's one of them...
Now you're all voted off X Factor...or something..
Old 04-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

I also don't think it's that bad. I at least like the concept, which seems to be what you were trying to display. I agree that you do drop off key, but I do not think that it's irreparable. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it seems as though more is getting out as breath than lyrics, if that makes any sense. Perhaps you aren't singing from within your chest and more from up in your head. Of course, this is just how it comes across to me and I certainly may be grossly mistaken.
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Nine
Inuit

I had a listen - tis a nice song, vocals do need work I would say, but keep at it definitely

Flyaway - I think Tommy has a great voice
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

Oh We'll have to agree to disagree there. He sings a bit like a little nasal cockney girl with a cold, I think he writes like one too, but that's just me, apparently!
I needn't talk I am an abysmal singer/song writer. That's why I really enjoyed Smurfs song!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
Nine
Inuit

Hey Ho, each to their own!
x
Old 04-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

Indeed! x
Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #10
rockthesmurf
Friend

I don't want to be a singer; I'd rather have a talented singer singing for me , unforunatley I don't have anyone like that at my disposal! I record loads of little ideas and such which I normally just do nothing with; thought I'd put one on here just in case anyone had any interest - but I'm more than happy to admit defeat and keep my little creations to myself.

Thanks for taking the time to listen,

Steve
xo
Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthesmurf
I don't want to be a singer; I'd rather have a talented singer singing for me , unforunatley I don't have anyone like that at my disposal! I record loads of little ideas and such which I normally just do nothing with; thought I'd put one on here just in case anyone had any interest - but I'm more than happy to admit defeat and keep my little creations to myself.

Steve
xo

I certainly wasn't saying "admit defeat" and keep it to yourself, I'm just suggesting you experiment with your singing style, that's all.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #12
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway
Oh We'll have to agree to disagree there. He sings a bit like a little nasal cockney girl with a cold, I think he writes like one too, but that's just me, apparently!
I needn't talk I am an abysmal singer/song writer. That's why I really enjoyed Smurfs song!
Haha thats amazing.

Thom
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
Nine
Inuit

Quote:

Steve
xo
No way, keep 'em coming please!
x
Old 04-11-2007, 12:06 AM   #14
rockthesmurf
Friend

Well I feel happier - I think I'll findsome where local to get some singing lessons, I have been thinking about doing it for a while but have been too busy, luckily a big deadline will pass this Wednesday then I'll have some spare time. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about singing lessons, it doesn't seem so bad recording stuff for people miles away, you're probably never meet to hear, but it is a little intimidating having to do it right in front of someone!

Steve
xo
Old 04-11-2007, 04:37 AM   #15
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Quote:
Well I feel happier - I think I'll findsome where local to get some singing lessons, I have been thinking about doing it for a while but have been too busy, luckily a big deadline will pass this Wednesday then I'll have some spare time. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about singing lessons, it doesn't seem so bad recording stuff for people miles away, you're probably never meet to hear, but it is a little intimidating having to do it right in front of someone!

Steve
xo

I've always thought the same about singing lessons myself. I'm sure it could only benefit. Don't get discouraged! I'm sure many of us would certainly appreciate to keep hearing your stuff.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #16
Nine
Inuit

yeah I agree