Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 01-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
This has got to die
Eskimo Friend

Default Do you find that Damo influences you to much?

Hey I have just started messing about writing songs but one of the main problems I have found is that often after I have come out of the "Writing mode" I look over my song and think it looks to simile to stuff that Damien has wrote and feel i might have stolen stuff without seeing it as I was putting it into words.

This song for example -

Quote:
FORBIDDEN HABIT

Waking up, starring at the window, just another grey day
Until I roll over, and see why I stay
Enough beauty to light a black hole (Like a angel man)
Justifies why I fight for my existence

If you and I are a crime
Then I’ll let you fly
Just don’t let me see you cry
‘Cause we have gone to far

If I’m not able
Then we’re not stable
So lets not waste time
To worry would be our biggest crime

Time stands still as you turn on your heal
Spinning a web of lie and deceit (She’s butiful man)
Fogging my mind and I’m in your grip
Tighter than my last E trip

Your gone or was it me?
Im not sure but its over
Were alone lonelier than can be said
The spotlight shined upon my little head

You’ve gone home to your master
Sure your happier
You’re my addiction
My heroine
I’m your inconvenience
The biggest mistake, a habit you cant break

If I’m not able
Then we are not stable
So lets not waste time
To worry would be our biggest crime

What’s the point of this line?
Sitting in
Lying in
No one to help me begin

But your light keeps me sane
Helps me when your alone
Ticking clock dictates are time
So lets not fly
Stay together ever with me
And forget his touch
His kiss upon your cheek
‘Cause I know you need more
Am I the one?
Or just a thorn in your side?
Prune me and you will be free!
In time you will see
I was your Suitor

Daniel King.
I don't know it might just be because I have Damo on my mind 24/7 and dont want people to think I have copied him, I was just wondering if anyone else ever doubts there work like this and if over time I will come to find my own style..

Im not claiming to be anything Like Damo by the way (That would be a dream) just relized reading over my song that it just seems I dont know grrr.

One more thing I am very unsure on myself and I have showed this song to three people and all have said it is good but I know them and they are my mates and I doubt they would just say "It's really not that good you should try this or this" you know so I guess I am also looking for a little bit of feedback as well I guess I just want someone to say its not good so that I dont think people are lieing to me does anyone else get this?

Thank you very much for your time Daniel
This has got to die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #2
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

I do somtimes feel that. But ive found myself again lately i think, at least in a songwriting way. I manage to put myself and my feelings down, in a way i like. I do think i have a fairly simular style to damien, well more so than say james blunt (urgh) and been as we both obvisouly like damiens music, then that type of sound, is what we will probly be aiming for. Influence isnt a bad ting really, as long as you be yourself, theres no escaping influence, no one ever not been influenced by somthing at some time. But theres a line between influence and copying. And that line can sometimes be very fine.
robmcgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
This has got to die
Eskimo Friend

Yeah exactly and that was my fear really about it being to close to copying.

I guess I also tend to imagine him singing the song while I write it!

God I need to get out more!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
cestoz
Eskimo Regular

i dont think theresd anything wrong with that, we'd all agree damien is a pretty good songwriter so by trying to imitate him yoiu wont go far wrong really. i think its the saem with any artist you listen to a lot you, will pick up things here and there like lyrcis ideas and chords, however if any of you are sitting now with a brown corduroy blazer on, then i think you should start to worry..
Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
jimski123
brand spankin new

You know ive been playing music for quite a while...atleast 8 or 9 years....and ive just recently decided ive wanted to start writing my own songs and composin my own music. Anyways I stumbled upon the same problem..I felt as though I was copying people.....but heres what im starting to realize. Damien Rice had influences......Bob Dylan had influences.........The Beatles had their influences and you can hear them in some of their music.....So i guess what im trying to say is that you will have your influences.... its next to impossible to be completely original anymore......but if you take allitle of this artist and mix it with allitle of that artist you will get your own sound...its all about what makes you feel good.....ya know what im sayin?
jimski123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
jimski123
brand spankin new

by the way I do often wear a brown corduroy blazer.............damnit.
jimski123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
BIG TIM
Polar bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimski123
You know ive been playing music for quite a while...atleast 8 or 9 years....and ive just recently decided ive wanted to start writing my own songs and composin my own music. Anyways I stumbled upon the same problem..I felt as though I was copying people.....but heres what im starting to realize. Damien Rice had influences......Bob Dylan had influences.........The Beatles had their influences and you can hear them in some of their music.....So i guess what im trying to say is that you will have your influences.... its next to impossible to be completely original anymore......but if you take allitle of this artist and mix it with allitle of that artist you will get your own sound...its all about what makes you feel good.....ya know what im sayin?
Exactly right! think of it like a colour wheel you have thousands of colours but the all have a similar foundation, take Orange and Purple side by side they are completely different but they both wouldn't be there with out Red.

Its exactly the same with music.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
This has got to die
Eskimo Friend

Thanks guys, helped me knowing that I was not the only one!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
audity
High-Five Eskimo

When I did a gig in Singapore 2 years ago, the article in a local magazine about the show practically called me a pastiche of Damien Rice.

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:48 AM   #10
Nine
Inuit

I get that all the time when writing - it's so frustrating. Sometimes i'll write a line or riff and think wow that's great - then realise it sounds great because I've just subconciously taken it from something Damien has done. Then I get all annoyed because what I had 'written' worked so well as part of a song, but I can't use it because it isn't mine.

Sometimes I feel that Damien is not only my biggest inspiration, but also the main reason why I give up on writing sometimes - therefore being the opposite of inspiring. That's because Damien's stuff is just so, SO phenomenal and mind blowing that I end up thinking, what's the point in trying to create something when there's somebody out there who can do it to such an incredible and perfect level.

But those feelings are only passing ones, thankfully.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #11
johnnyappleseed
Eskimo Baby

I dont think that song reminds me of damien rice. I dont know why you think so cause you use grey and crime. Trust me, damien wasnt the first person to use those words lol.

My belief on why damien is so good is cause it took him alot of years to create "O". If you ever listen to some of is early versions of his songs from "O" you will see he didnt start out that awesome. I like 9 crimes, I listen to it all the time but its not half as good as "O". Why is that,because he spent like 7 years perfecting "O" and it shows. Its one of the best albums ever made. So to sum this up i guess im saying if you write a song, at first it might feel like its not that great. but if you keep it around maybe one day it will turn into something great.

The only problem with listening to one Person a lot to me, is my guitar riffs will sound like his. But what i do is just listen to other music so i get it out of my head.
johnnyappleseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

If anything he un-influences me. I'm never tempted to write something similar, or hear his (or Lisa's) voice in my head when writing, because I'm a vastly inferior musician/writer. It would be like a four year old trying to play a ukelele and envisaging Jimi Hendrix - It would sound rubbish. If you try to emulate anyones style (accidentally or intentionally) you're just going to get dissapointed, and people won't like it because it won't be as good as the person who inspired it. Alot of people don't like Grey Room because it sounds like an inferior Cohen song, etc.
I've given up writing songs for this reason, I cancelled my last gig for this reason. I've been playing guitar for 10 years and I'm still ****. Just time to give up the ghost. Keep going though by all means, try to steer clear of listening to Damo so much
Old 04-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #13
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

I think the others here have touched on it quite well, so I'll just show you some support by saying that I definately think that's a common occurence with most artists of any sort.
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:10 AM   #14
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

you will grow out of it once you find your own songwriting structure. its good to imitate others and play covers to begin with because it gives you a base.

its always good to take on new ways of writing songs and trying out different things. also co-writing will help alot to see others perspectives.

hope this helps.

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #15
cille
creepycute

If you listen to Damien's songs you'll hear a lot of the artists and songs that's influenced him. Even down to the chords.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #16
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
If you listen to Damien's songs you'll hear a lot of the artists and songs that's influenced him. Even down to the chords.
yep, couldn't agree more.

elephant - creep

rat within in the grain - streets of london (though not quite as uncanny as the elephant-creep one.)
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #17
cille
creepycute

haha streets of london eh? one of my mostest hated songses evah.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #18
bambi
Eskimo Amie

I know what you mean! I'm not such a fan now (and I'm sure a lot of people could critisize me for it... they're not so well respected) but I used to be obsessed with evanescence (you know the stuff that came before fallen/bring me to life is really good!). I found that when I wrote it was so Amy-esque that I would often end up scrapping the song. Even though I listen to different music now, it is always still drawn out of me in her style, its frustrating! Its too ingrained in me now, because I grew up to it, writing songs and poems in that style daily. I can break out of the habit, but it's a conscious effort and its so easy to fall back into!! GRR!
So yeah, a silmilar thing but with a different artist!
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 PM   #19
knives!
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimski123
by the way I do often wear a brown corduroy blazer.............damnit.

i know, right? i played this coffee house gig on christmas eve last year to find out the next day my girlfriend had bought me a brown (though, not courderoy) blazer.

Great.
knives! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:25 AM   #20
knives!
Eskimo Baby

you know, i kind of wonder that too- but you have to realize that most people who listen to what you've written aren't reading into it that way. so as long as your not deliberately, or outright copying something damo wrote it seems as htough no one will see such heavy influence but yourself. all that said stay true to yourself one way or another, and let your art be your art.

cheers.
knives! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #21
The_Blowers_Uncle
Read me ur favorite line

It does seem like a heavily Damien inspired song. If this bothers you, I sometimes do this (If I write a song that sounds like something someone else recorded):

Make a note at the bottom of the page, of which song you felt it was too similar too.

Come back to the lyrics a few months later, when the song is not in your consciousness anymore, and make modifications based on how you feel at that time. Sometimes you can amplify what you have written, other times you can diminish its quality.

I often find doing that makes a bad song good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by This has got to die
Hey I have just started messing about writing songs but one of the main problems I have found is that often after I have come out of the "Writing mode" I look over my song and think it looks to simile to stuff that Damien has wrote and feel i might have stolen stuff without seeing it as I was putting it into words.

This song for example -

I don't know it might just be because I have Damo on my mind 24/7 and dont want people to think I have copied him, I was just wondering if anyone else ever doubts there work like this and if over time I will come to find my own style..

Im not claiming to be anything Like Damo by the way (That would be a dream) just relized reading over my song that it just seems I dont know grrr.

One more thing I am very unsure on myself and I have showed this song to three people and all have said it is good but I know them and they are my mates and I doubt they would just say "It's really not that good you should try this or this" you know so I guess I am also looking for a little bit of feedback as well I guess I just want someone to say its not good so that I dont think people are lieing to me does anyone else get this?

Thank you very much for your time Daniel
The_Blowers_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote