Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 01-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

Default Cup

Hey, ive recorded a new song, called Cup. Let me know what you think.

This musicians forum need to liven up a bit, get more people posting and replying.

Cup
robmcgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

most people seem to trash your voice, i am seriously liking it, i love the atmosphere youve created with this song, and the shakey, edgy vocals really add to the mood of this song, you seem to have much more control of your voice, you dont let it stray, and the music is really cool.

you remind me a lot of damien jurado with this song, and i like the fact that your voice has an edge to it, its what gives this peice such an atmosphere.

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

Hey. cheers, its good to finally get some good feedback, ive been ripped apart the last bunch of people who rated my stuff. So thanks, good to know at least someone likes it.

I listend to a few of your songs on your myspace. At least i gather its yours in your sig. Nice stuff, and i see you have sigur ros as an influence, i have Takk, they are brilliant, and i can definatly hear them, especislly in sirens, but you still have your own input into it. Good sound keep it up, ive added you.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:26 PM   #4
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

thanks man, yeah thats our stuff. i wont be online for about a week or so cause im moving and i havent sorted out internet for the new place yet, but ill try and get online now and again through college, let me know if you get anymore tracks up and stuff.

and yeah, sigur ross are amazing, one of those bands that you need to see live at least onece in your life :P

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go

Last edited by Ships_Were_Sailin; 01-25-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

noted and ill be looking out for gigs i can get to lol.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
Noellenc
Eskimo Baby

Hey, I like your voice! I agree that you have a good control over it, even with it's vibrato or shakiness, whatever the technical term is that I don't know exactly!! I have to say I like your voice more than the song itself, but it sounds like the sort of thing I'd have to get used to by listening multiple times. I can hear an influence from Damien Rice in there, and don't feel bad that I said I'd need to get used to the song because that is how I am with a lot of his slower, more meandering songs as well (a la Elephant, Accidental Babies, etc)
Noellenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

hey, thanks for taking time out to listen. I apprichiate your comments and yeah, i think the song as it is (only a demo) is pretty boring, theres not any depth to it. Im going to record my album fully over the next few months, be cellos, violas, violins, piano, lots of nice sounds in it. So hopfully everything should soung alot nicer.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
jimski123
brand spankin new

Rob....I would agree with the other guys in that your voice isnt the problem at all.........its just the few songs ive listened to so far are lacking that....hook. They are kind of monotone....no dinstinguishable chorus....I think if you build your song up ......to a climax......with a distinguishable chorus.....You would have some great sounding stuff....but just a thought.
jimski123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
Calum
Eskimo Regular

In my opinion, your voice is too droning. Now, i'm not claiming that my voice is really good, but you need to give some live to your voice - at the moment, you're plainly mumbling. Also, as the bloke above me says, you need a distinguishable chorus and a climax.

Overall, i think you need more ascertiveness (sp? i'm in a bad mood and i can't be arsed with spelling!) and power in your songs. Obviously, that's my opinion, but i hope that you'll take it on board. Saying that, i still think this song has potential - it's more how you perform your songs than how you compose them.

A look and comment or whatever on my myspace would be appreciated. Thank you muchly.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

Hey man. Yeah i agree with what your saying. However i do intend to re-structure the songs slighty when i come to record them for the album, there will be a bunch more instruments on there and ill put more power into my voice.

Ive added you as a friend. so when you accept ill leave a comment. I liked what ive listend to. but accidental babies and another one wouldnt load. If there new up then thats probly why. ill check back tomorrow
Old 02-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #11
audity
High-Five Eskimo

Your music is always fresh...I think your songs are tender poems given a sonic backing.

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

Thanks man.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #13
Nine
Inuit

I really like your lyrics. I think they're brilliant always. And I think the songs have real potential.
But I'd have to agree with Calum about your voice - whislt it works much better with this track because that's more the mood of it - I think you could go super far if you got a vocalist, either male, or female if lisa-esque - to sing the material you play and write.

Nine is offline   Reply With Quote